• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple Music |OT| Apple Invents Music, Time To Party Like It's 1989!

HUELEN10

UPDATE TIME!

Beats 1 is AWESOME, and has its own OT here!

We are also collecting Nicknames to put in the OT, so make sure you post yours.

For those having iCloud library errors, please see the link below for a possible fix.

http://www.imore.com/getting-icloud-music-library-cant-be-enabled-error-heres-fix

For those that want to force uploads for correct version of songs, aka you want your Beatles to stream in Mono, please see the exploit below.

https://discussions.apple.com/message/20401295#20401295

vWNguCx.png

Make no mistake, Apple loves music. From the introduction of the iPod in October 23, 2001, to the debut of the iTunes Music Store in April 28, 2003, culminating today, June 30, 2015, with the launch of Apple Music and Beats 1, Apple has had an incredibly important hand in the way we enjoy, create, buy, and share music in the 21st century. The way we enjoy the songs artists make may change as time goes on, but the music will always be there, now in more ways than one.
sxO02sS.png

Apple Music is first and foremost, Cupertino's first attempt at a subscription service such as Rdio and Spotify, but it's not just that; it's Apple's attempt at making an all-in-one hub for music, combining a streaming service, an internet radio, a cloud-based music locker, a digital storefront, an indie/garageband upload community, and yes, even Ping 2.0 an artist/fan community. With your subscription, you have access to a large selection, but not all songs from the iTunes store, including albums that stream exclusively through Apple Music...
kNCpOOC.jpg

As for music that is not available to stream, Apple Music features functionality similar to iTunes Match that is included at no additional charge. If you own The Beatles for example, Apple Music will let you Stream it to all your devices. The best part is that while the paid iTunes Match service allowed for a cap of 25k songs, Apple is working on expanding Apple Music's cap to a whopping 100k by this fall! This means that all your music can truly be in one place. It's also an internet radio. You can listen to all your iTunes Radio favorites, and the new Beats 1 worldwide radio station as well. Finally, there's Connect. Connect is a place where artists can post exclusive tidbits such as behind-the-scenes videos and previews directly to their fans with social integration which you can share with Facebook, Twitter, and iMessage right from the share sheet, and artists can reply directly to fans too. It's not just for bigwigs either, ANYONE can apply for a Connect profile, making this a great complement or alternative to Soundcloud and Bandcamp!

So that's Apple Music, everything music, all in one place. Cupertino's not the first to attempt it, but it has a lot going for it.
9VOcOoX.png

First of all, everyone gets a 3-month trial for free. After the trial ends, you have 2 options. The first is a single membership for 9.99 USD a month, and that gives you everything with unlimited radio station skips. The second option is the family plan. if you use iCloud Family Sharing, you can get a family membership for up to 6 people for 14.99 USD a month. Needless to say, if you use iCloud Family Sharing, you should get the family plan. Finally, if you just want to listen to Beats 1 and don't mind limited radio skips, all you need is an Apple ID and it's yours for free, no membership required!
iiOwlzN.png

So that's how much it costs, now let's talk about what you need to get it.

• iOS: Update to 8.4, then launch the stock Music App.
  • watchOS: Update prefered playlists using your paired iPhone and listen with bluetooth headphones.
  • OS X & Windows: Download the latest version of iTunes, which you can get here; there is no current browser client planned.
  • Android & Apple TV: Gonna have to wait until the fall, but it is coming!
It's really that simple.
giphy.gif

i9ol1I4.png

Q: What's Taylor Swift got to do with this?
A: Read up on it here. Also, 1989 is streaming ONLY on Apple Music

Q: What is going to happen to my Beats Music Service membership?
A: If you are on iOS, just open the Beats app and you will be guided to convert your membership to an Apple Music one, all your playlists and stuff will carry over! For more info, please go here.

Q: Will you be updating the thread with more features/playlists/exclusives sections as they come?
A: Absolutely

Q: Can I use iTunes Store Credit to pay for my membership?
A: Possibly. We'll know for sure soon enough, but keep in mind you can use iTunes store credit to pay for an iTunes Match subscription.

Q: What format does Apple Music Stream In?
A: 256kbps AAC, just like iTunes Match. Before you ask, yes 256kbps AAC>320kbps MP3, any day of the week.

Q: Can I migrate my playlists from Spotify or Rdio to Apple Music?
A: Unofficially yes, but you have to act NOW! Here is a great resource that uses Beats as a workaround.

Thanks to Zeyphersan and jts for the thread title suggestions!

Hellers

I bought 1989 for 99p in a Google Play sale a while ago

Dm4bSO0.jpg

Apple Music will have to be very special to pull me away from Google Play Music. I can see the benefit of a tightly integrated system though. Especially on phones but the actual announcement of the service was so hilariously fake that even the music industry guy they got to do the announcement obviously couldn't believe what he was saying :)

I've never had much luck with itunes match though. If I switched mine back on now a load of playlists will appear that I can't actually delete. They just come back next time match syncs. Don't even get me started on wiping the entire match cloud library in order to start again.

My body is so ready for this.

Unfortunately the launch happens at 4AM tomorrow where I am (New Zealand) so I'm gonna miss the first ever Beats broadcast.

Meowster

I'm going to give it a shot. The family plan is really awesome and I'm excited to see how diverse the library is going to be.

celebi23

So, has Apple said what will happen to Beats subscribers on Android devices? Will it still work or will Apple leave Android users out of the loop until the fall?

HUELEN10

So, has Apple said what will happen to Beats subscribers on Android devices? Will it still work or will Apple leave Android users out of the loop until the fall?
According to the FAQ on the Beats website (linked in the FAQ of the OP), once you switch, there is no turning back; if you rely on android device streaming with Beats, you may want to hold off.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Apart from iOS 8.4, we are also still awaiting an iTunes update, no?

celebi23

According to the FAQ on the Beats website (linked in the FAQ of the OP), once you switch, there is no turning back; if you rely on android device streaming with Beats, you may want to hold off.

No, sorry, I mean that once Apple Music launches (and since the Android app won't launch until the fall), will Beats still work as normal for Android users?

HUELEN10

No, sorry, I mean that once Apple Music launches (and since the Android app won't launch until the fall), will Beats still work as normal for Android users?
No, your account itself migrates to Apple Music and they aren't intra-operable. If you depend on Android stream with Beats, hold off on this for a bit.

jts

...hate me...
I really believe this will change and improve my music listening habits a good bit.

-I've used Rdio and Spotify but eventually always grow tired of jumping back and forth through apps to listen to streaming music and my own music.
-Native playing on Apple devices is more convenient and integrated
-As is Siri. I often am around the house with the phone charging and just request music to play from Siri, completely hands-free
-Huge library selection
-Great family sharing price
-Expected huge community
-Beats 1 may be a bonus if it's any good, will wait and see on that one though

Can't wait!

Ashhong

Wish they released the update now so I could have it for my commute tomorrow. Stupid to release at 8am. Will be leaving Spotify to at least try the 3 months. Probably forever though.

subrock

I can't see how beats 1 can be good as a global station. The thing about stations like BBC Radio 1 is that they know your approximate time zone, so they can get dank in the wee hours.

Liquid_015

Gold Member
Anyone having any luck with the playlist transfer from Spotify to Beats Music? Every time I try to connect to beats music, the site tells me there's something wrong.

HUELEN10

Anyone having any luck with the playlist transfer from Spotify to Beats Music? Every time I try to connect to beats music, the site tells me there's something wrong.
It's getting hammered pretty hard; you can always do what I did and just screenshot every album in your library on Spotify and just rebuild it in a few dozen clicks. :/

number11

Interesting to see how Beats 1 works. Since most of it is pre recorded, it will be crazy if they don't have an iPlayer style feature where you can replay shows.

MercuryLS

Banned
It's getting hammered pretty hard; you can always do what I did and just screenshot every album in your library on Spotify and just rebuild it in a few dozen clicks. :/

I'm going to keep spotify open on my iPad while I build my collection on Apple music on my phone.

I'm super curious how the UI is going to differentiate between the songs you own/have matched vs those you're just streaming through Apple Music

gimmmick

Nice thread OP. Been with spotify since they first introduced it to the US. Can't wait to check out how apple music compares today.

jts

...hate me...
Beats 1 is also basically the free tier of Apple Music. Not that it's an important thing for at least 3 months.

Moozo

Am I going to be able to download this update over 4G or do they still not let you do that?

4G is quicker than my wifi.

Mononoke

Banned
Looking forward to impressions.

Yeah, I'm hoping it's good.

I also hope the interface is actually nice. Only downside is that I stream a lot of my music from home (have really expensive headphones and surround sound), so I wish this offered lossless like Tidal :/

I also have my iPhone 6 plus jail broken and im not sure when I can upgrade to 8.4 for this + being able to jailbreak again. The way my current phone is set up, this isn't worth losing all that.

Guess I can try it out on my iPad and PC.

Edit: yeah I think jailbreaking is only up to 8.3 as 8.4 just came out. Will just keep using Spotify. But I'll check this out on my iPad and PC.

HUELEN10

In mere hours, Apple will realize they need to seriously invest in a cloud platform.
They have been getting serious about it ever since the launch of iCloud, and their data centers are only getting larger as time goes on.

FerranMG

Any word on Last.fm integration?

I won't even consider switching Spotify for Apple Music if I can't scrobble to Last.fm, but I haven't found any information regarding this.

hidys

Any word on Last.fm integration?

I won't even consider switching Spotify for Apple Music if I can't scrobble to Last.fm, but I haven't found any information regarding this.

I don't think we'll know this until it comes out.

At what time is this coming out?

Top Bottom