• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Amnesia Fortnight 2017 - Developed by Double Fine, Documented by 2 Player Productions

Wozman23

My favorites:
Jacinda - I'm always interested in platformers that deal with gravity/mirror worlds. Reminds me of ibb & obb.
Kiln - I don't care about competitive play, but characters created on a pottery wheel seems cool.
Symphonic Strife - rhythm platformers are my drug

Compsiox

Banned
My favorites:
Jacinda - I'm always interested in platformers that deal with gravity/mirror worlds. Reminds me of ibb & obb.
Kiln - I don't care about competitive play, but characters created on a pottery wheel seems cool.
Symphonic Strife - rhythm platformers are my drug

I didn't vote for Kiln simply because it sounds like it will be impossible to balance.

kiguel182

This is how we've always done it. The series is released to Youtube as fast as possible during AF, then afterwards we take more time to clean it up for the download versions. Bonus videos previously have included extensive post mortems on each prototype with the teams, so we'll likely do that along with anything else that comes to mind.

I only caught the videos so I had no idea.

Not trying to knock you guys, I'm fine with supporting you since I really love your work! Maybe it sounded like bitching so sorry about that.

Can't wait for the docs and whatever you guys can do for bonus stuff!

I only caught the videos so I had no idea.

Not trying to knock you guys, I'm fine with supporting you since I really love your work! Maybe it sounded like bitching so sorry about that.

Can't wait for the docs and whatever you guys can do for bonus stuff!

No knock perceived, it's understandable that the Youtube aspect muddles the value of the purchase. We try to make it worthwhile for the people who make a contribution.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I'm on-board. Some really interesting projects this year (though I did see an abundance of musically-charged projects, not that I have anything against that and voted for two of them), which made it hard for me to vote, I wanted to stick to only the ones there were my absolute favorites, so I voted on:

Play Nice
Liz. Miserable.
Oota's Songs of Happiness
V. Crisis: A Period Piece
The Gods Must Be Hungry
Empath

However there's a number of games I wouldn't mind see being made here.

arigato

The Gods Must Be Hungry is my favorite concept. Though there's a lot of cool stuff here!
This and Play Nice are the two I want to see most get officially released. After gauging the publics reaction to Friday the 13th, I can potentially see a lot of success and longevity with Play Nice if an online multiplayer element was added in. There clearly is a market for such a game if the execution goes well.

I'm super happy this is happening again. It's always fascinating to watch the games being developed, no matter which ones get picked.

That said, I voted for:
Jacinda
Iron Legion
Symphonic Strife
The Gods Must Be Hungry
Empath

gabbo

My votes will go to:
Darwin's Dinner
The Gods Must Be Hungry
and Symphonic Strike

I think Vagina Crisis: A Period Piece would make a better game if it was pitched as a different genre of game. Still think it probably should get made either way, but that genre does nothing for me (go more abstract like Luxuria Superbia maybe?)

I had backed the last time , it was really only worth it for the documentary, the prototypes were meh after watching the documentary, would have been nicer if they gave the actual games when it came out, for the supporters instead of prototypes.

I had backed the last time , it was really only worth it for the documentary, the prototypes were meh after watching the documentary, would have been nicer if they gave the actual games when it came out, for the supporters instead of prototypes.

I don't think any of the AF2014 prototypes got turned into full games. You'd run the risk of the same thing happening here if that was what they were offering, plus the amount of work that would go into turning a prototype into a full game feels like enough to warrant an actual purchase.

Probably no blu-ray. For AF2014 we had a lot of problems and it ended up taking a long time to finish. Made everyone mad.

Yeah, I remember that, I guess I was just hoping those were one-time issues. $5 tier it is, then!

If so, then the price of entry would definitely be higher then $5, and that for something you maybe get. And how would people react when a game from Amnesia Fortnight gets made, that's not one of the four winners, which happened with Headlander?

PaulloDEC

I'm bad at choosing stuff, so I voted for a bunch.

• Play Nice
• Urchin Squad
• Oota's Songs of Happiness
• Mega Flora
• Fresh
• Kiln
• The Gods Must Be Hungry
• Symphonic Strife

kiguel182

Okay, here are my votes:

- Liz.Miserable : No idea how they are going to pull this but it's an awesome concept and I want to see them try. Also, puns!

- Mega Flora: Not really sold on the whole "being tiny" thing but it seems like something I can really enjoy and the simulation aspect of it is also interesting.

- The Lunar Gazzete: He had me at "running a newspaper" and being on the moon makes things exciting for sure.

- Symphonic Strife: I hope he can great a good rhythm platformer out of this and the theme is cool and different.

Can't wait to see this all unfold!

Mista Koo

I feel like it's weaker than the last times. The only three I found mechanically interesting:
  • Darwin's Dinner
  • Liz. Miserable.
  • Empath.
But I also voted for the singing and dancing ones.

kiguel182

I wish Double Fine would also give the prototypes of the games that were released. I never got a change to play them and it's different than playing the full game.

Definitely unintentional! I hadn't heard of it at the time, but someone here brought up BCB when I first pitched the game to the studio and it was cool to see their approach to it. I think the biggest difference in this game will be running/jumping/ rail-sliding around the 3D arena while trying to juggle giant cooking tasks. Just adding a lot more physicality to both moving around the environment and placing the finished items on the massive serving dishes.

Looking forward to checking out Battle Chef Brigade when it comes out!

And Overcooked is a favorite so I'm hoping to attract other fans of it.

That sells me on the pitch a bit more. I assumed it would be a 2D sidescroller. I really love games that focus on movement and traversal as well.

Some really interesting pitches this year! I'm most excited about Empath,
Oota's Songs of Happiness, and The Lunar Gazette. If you're not sold on the Lunar Gazette pitch, I recommend checking out forum posts. It makes it sound like an adventure game/management hybrid.

Boem

I wish Double Fine would also give the prototypes of the games that were released. I never got a change to play them and it's different than playing the full game.

They released the original prototype for Costume Quest at one point. Don't remember when exactly but I own it. It's not exactly fun to play - it's a prototype after all, more a proof of concept than anything - but it's definitely interesting to see how one thing grew into another. But yeah, actually playing it, it's a bit of a buggy mess. You might as well watch a youtube video of someone playing it to get a fair impression honestly. I mostly remember the game constantly breaking and crashing. Which is fine for what it is of course.

I don't think they ever released one of the other prototypes from non-public amnesia fortnights, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

kiguel182

They released the original prototype for Costume Quest at one point. Don't remember when exactly but I own it. It's not exactly fun to play - it's a prototype after all, more a proof of concept than anything - but it's definitely interesting to see how one thing grew into another. But yeah, actually playing it, it's a bit of a buggy mess. You might as well watch a youtube video of someone playing it to get a fair impression honestly. I mostly remember the game constantly breaking and crashing. Which is fine for what it is of course.

I don't think they ever released one of the other prototypes from non-public amnesia fortnights, but maybe I'm forgetting something.

I was talking about Hack N' Slash and Spacebase which were public but here they are only offering the full game (unless the 15 tier includes the prototypes and I'm just not aware) altought the private ones would also be pretty cool to see!

Excited to have this back.

I voted for:
I Have No Idea What I'm Doing
Outside
Dr Human Great Job
The Lunar Gazette
Jiffy Nuke
Vagina Crisis: A Period Piece
Video Games Inc.

Huh, I just realized the bundle doesn't include the Costume Quest, Hack 'n' Slash, or Spacebase prototypes. I wonder why.

My votes:
- I Have No Idea What I'm Doing (I don't have VR but a social Wario Ware / Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes hybrid seems like it could be pretty fun).
- Oota's Songs of Happiness (A rhythm Undertale, what's not to like?).
- Iron Legion (this is one of those games that seems tailored to me, Blaster Master + Mecha? Hell yeah. It's odd how this concept hasn't been explored more, I can only think of an ancient Spanish Spectrum game called El Poder Oscuro).
- Liz. Miserable. (this is the one for the missus, mixing her love of adventure games and musicals).
- The Gods Must Be Hungry (this just looks like a ton of fun, possibly the one idea with the most potential. I really hope this one wins).
- A Slice of Heaven (roguelike Starfox? Yeah, I will take some, thanks).

I went with Outside, Urchin Squad, Darwin's Dinner, The Lunar Gazette, and Pretty Warriors vs The Chaos Gem. I noticed that none of the old prototypes have Steam keys, will we get Steam keys for the 2017 prototypes? I have all the older ones already and I'd like to have the new ones on Steam as well.

Randdalf

Tim's pick: I Have No Idea What I'm Doing
Double Fine's pick: Kiln
Community pick #1: Darwin's Dinner
Community pick #2: The Gods Must Be Hungry

Sakwoff

I voted for I Have No Idea What I'm Doing. It's a game I'm probably never gonna be able to play, but it's perfect for a game jam, and probably a lot of fun to see getting made.

The rest look intriguing as well. It's great to have kind of a wild card in there as well, given that one is by a guy who's not a game dev. Kind of interesting that one of them is really experienced as a project lead (as the lead on Psychonauts 2), while another has never even worked in games.

Also gonna be interesting to see how much has changed for Derek since last time. Kiln is definitely a much more solid pitch, mechanically, than Mnemonic was.

Super looking forward to the documentary videos. They're always amazing to watch.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I voted for The Gods Must Be Hungry but not the other three. I don't have VR so won't be playing I Have No Idea What I'm Doing and I don't see Darwin's Dinner going anywhere in the time they have available, so fingers crossed Kiln is OK. I didn't really want a multiplayer title though. Disappointed that narrative seems to have lost out this year, none of those titles are built on any kind of overarching story.

kiguel182

None of the ones I wanted won. Oh well.

I don't have a VR headset so I won't be able to play one of the prototypes.

Also, are the docs posted daily or is there a delay? No idea how that part works.

Boem

Some very fun winners in there. Should be really cool.

Won't be able to play the VR thing but had a feeling Schafer would go for that one. He loves his VR/Kinect party games. And they're really fun, but yeah, won't be able to play it.

Sakwoff

None of the ones I wanted won. Oh well.

I don't have a VR headset so I won't be able to play one of the prototypes.

Also, are the docs posted daily or is there a delay? No idea how that part works.

There's usually a bit of a delay, because they're (really well) edited and produced. It's not too much though, they're definitely getting released as it's going on.

Boem

There's usually a bit of a delay, because they're (really well) edited and produced. It's not too much though, they're definitely getting released as it's going on.

They said they will be posted daily, but I can imagine there will be a delay. So the video of a certain day will be about the day before.

But yeah, we should be getting daily videos in any case. Which is pretty amazing considering the amount of work that goes into them. Hell, I would have been happy with one or two videos, but daily is just amazing.

kiguel182

They seem like a ton for work so I wouldn't be surprised they took a while, they managing to releasing them during the process is pretty impressive.

Asif_2PP

Neo Member
As with previous years, the doc will be delayed by a day-ish. Things are obviously a bit different this time around now that one of us got picked to lead a project. We're bringing in an editor we trust to do nothing but edit the series (normally Paul O and I would alternate editing and shooting days, this year Paul O will be shooting every day along with a 2nd cameraman we were bringing on to help anyway) so who knows, the episodes may come out on a different timeline. This is all uncharted territory, but know that the whole 2PP team is excited for the next two weeks and outdoing our previous series!

(and thanks to anyone here that voted for The Gods Must Be Hungry. This is nuts.)

PaulloDEC

I'm happy with those choices. Two of my picks got chosen (Gods and Kiln) and the other two seem like they'll be fun to watch get made.

As with previous years, the doc will be delayed by a day-ish. Things are obviously a bit different this time around now that one of us got picked to lead a project. We're bringing in an editor we trust to do nothing but edit the series (normally Paul O and I would alternate editing and shooting days, this year Paul O will be shooting every day along with a 2nd cameraman we were bringing on to help anyway) so who knows, the episodes may come out on a different timeline. This is all uncharted territory, but know that the whole 2PP team is excited for the next two weeks and outdoing our previous series!

(and thanks to anyone here that voted for The Gods Must Be Hungry. This is nuts.)

Your game sounds awesome dude, can't wait to see it come to life! As a fellow behind the camera/editing desk guy, your situation seems exciting yet terrifying to me.

Nice! Kiln and Darwin won! The Gods Must Be Hungry also looks pretty neat. I'm legitimately curious as to how something as complex-sounding as Darwin will get prototyped before the deadline. Quick question: are the prototypes direct downloads or Steam keys? I assume direct download?

Parsnip

Nice! Kiln and Darwin won! The Gods Must Be Hungry also looks pretty neat. I'm legitimately curious as to how something as complex-sounding as Darwin will get prototyped before the deadline. Quick question: are the prototypes direct downloads or Steam keys? I assume direct download?
Previous years have had Steam keys, though I guess this time the old prototype tier only had direct downloads, so who knows.

I just noticed that the Humble Bundle has been updated so it says "Pay what you want to get the 4 winners + bonus games!" not sure what that means.

Top Bottom