• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo 3DS Region Code confirmed by Nintendo JP Support

Vinci

Danish
hooo said:
This is why it's region locked. If a us distributor is going to take the time to localize for the market, pay for the marketing, and pay for the copies of the game to be made, they don't want buyers to be buying some other region's version where they don't get the money.

Then how about they localize the games sooner rather than later, and at a price-point that isn't so offensive to the target market? Those appear to be the two biggest issues dealing with region-locking at this time.

Emitan

Vinci said:
Then how about they localize the games sooner rather than later, and at a price-point that isn't so offensive to the target market? Those appear to be the two biggest issues dealing with region-locking at this time.
But then they can't rape people with terrible pricing. Wouldn't that be just awful?

dream

I want to say "who cares?" but then I remember I was introduced to Ouendan, Ouendan 2, and The Last Window through the graces of the DS being region-free.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
Least surprising news ever, considering they were already going that way with the DSi. Doesn't make it any less sucky though.

antispin

hooo said:
This is why it's region locked. If a us distributor is going to take the time to localize for the market, pay for the marketing, and pay for the copies of the game to be made, they don't want buyers to be buying some other region's version where they don't get the money.
Yeah. Plus you have small shops picking up games cheap online and undercutting local competition.

This is garbage, and worst of all, you won't get a single journalist asking Iwata for justification. It'd be a simple question. Why enforce region locking if you aren't going to release all games in all territories? What is someone supposed to do if they want to play a game that Nintendo has no plans of releasing in their region? I mean, I just want an answer for this

Minsc

Gold Member
Zoramon089 said:
This is garbage, and worst of all, you won't get a single journalist asking Iwata for justification. It'd be a simple question. Why enforce region locking if you aren't going to release all games in all territories? What is someone supposed to do if they want to play a game that Nintendo has no plans of releasing in their region? I mean, I just want an answer for this

I imagine this has to do with money.

Glix

antispin said:
Yeah. Plus you have small shops picking up games cheap online and undercutting local competition.

A mom and pop shop might get a TINY advantage over the big box stores? Oh, my, that would just be terrible!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Zoramon089 said:

What's that you asked? What we should do about region-exclusive content? I've got your answer!

"Nintendo is proud to release a thrilling slate of exciting content for all consumers this quarter. Consumers will love the classic adventures found in DRAGON QUEST VI (TM) REALMS OF REVERIE only for Nintendo DS, while kids from 2-92 go crazy for POKEMON (TM) BLACK and POKEMON (TM) WHITE, the latest generation of the hit POKEMON (TM) game series, featuring new POKEMON (TM) to collect! And who doesn't enjoy Mario and his friends when they get together to play some sports! With MARIO (TM) SPORTS MIX (TM), fans can play Mario, Luigi, and even some friends from the FINAL FANTASY (TM) series in four exciting sporting events! Nintendo is always announcing new content, so stay tuned to Nintendo.com for more announcements.

FINAL FANTASY (TM) and related marks are licensed from SQUARE-ENIX INC. AMERICA HOLDING CORP.
For press inquiries, contact Golin Harris"

Emitan

Zoramon089 said:
This is what pisses me off the most. I'd love for region encoding to not exist, but at least make it optional. If you know your game is not going to leave Japan, make it region free. I still want to buy your game, but I'm not going to buy a game I can't play. If you made it region free, you're not losing out on sales in my region because you have no intention of selling it. But when an import site buy a copy of your game to sell to me, you make a profit. Everyone wins.

Vinci

Danish
antispin said:

Considering how much of the market Gamestop alone has cornered, I would imagine adding in the big-box stores would pretty much mean that ma-and-pa shops are leaning on something other than video game sales to stay in business. But lawls yes, lets nip that in the bud quick.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
On the XBOX 360 where regioning is seemingly up to the publisher, I am not surprised when big titles such as CODBLOPS are regioned. What baffles me though is how a lot of niche, no-way-are-they-gonna-bring-this-over titles such as Idolmaster are region-locked.

hooo said:
if they truly pay to regionalise it to my region and they do it well, i would wait to buy it from them. region locking provides them with no insentive to do it well. they do not have to compete with other versions.

they pay for copies to be made that they sell. so that doesn't matter. if more people import they make less copies.

they pay to advertise it based on how big a market exists that might want to buy it.

it's not like once the game is out in a territory that many people in that territory will run out and buy an import copy that isn't regionalised to them, that they can't just walk out a store with.

a US distributor does the things you list because they want to make money. if a game already exists and is already playable without regionalising, and everyone that wants it *can* import it, if no US distributor wants to pick it up, it's not a big deal to me or anyone else in the region free world because we can still play it.

no one would be forced into bringing a game into a market that doesn't want it because they've all already imported it.

closing the market off is anti consumer. i am a consumer.

i do not care which country's distributor gets my money. should i?

I don't know what's worse between the actual region locking and people going out of their way to defend this bullshit.

The funny thing is that when the 3DS is hacked, and it will be, the same assholes will probably be dumbfounded as to why someone would need to hack it except for piracy. :lol

I have about 20 games for each of the 3 regions on DS so it's a big thing to me and I sure as hell won't buy a 3DS for each region to thank Nintendo for doing this.

Emitan

Palette Swap said:
I don't know what's worse between the actual region locking and people going out of their way to defend this bullshit.

The funny thing is that when the 3DS is hacked, and it will be, the same assholes will probably be dumbfounded as to why someone would need to hack it except for piracy. :lol

I have about 20 games for each of the 3 regions on DS so it's a big thing to me and I sure as hell won't buy a 3DS for each region to thank Nintendo for doing this.
I can't wait for another cognitive-dissonance-age debate... More features in your system = less hackers interested in hacking it. Pirates and people who hack things just to prove they can will always be there, but look at the PS3. The major hacking by the really talented groups didn't happen until OtherOS was taken away.

Neo C.

falconzss said:
good to see that this shitty move will actually make nintendo more money :/
I'll get two 3DSes anyway (redesign!), but without region-locked it would be much more comfortable.

antonz

This thread confirms gaf is full of drama queens. Was totally obvious it was the future of all Nintendo handhelds since the DSi got it.

Emitan

antonz said:
This thread confirms gaf is full of drama queens. Was totally obvious it was the future of all Nintendo handhelds since the DSi got it.
I know I should have seen it coming because of the DSi, but it just seems strange that every Nintendo console has been region locked (even if it was just making the cartridges different shapes), but every handheld has been region free. And now everything is region locked.

antonz said:
how obvious something is has nothing to do with how palatable it is.

i've presumed the 3DS was going to be region locked since it was announced (given what we saw on the DSi). i factored that into my decision when i pre-ordered one.

none of that means i have to like that it is region locked, or indeed, not voice my complaint about it.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Xater said:
So we should have bitched before the confirmation because we all expected it? What a useless post.

Nope, but you might have wanted to prepare yourself for it. What a useless rant.

turnbuckle

GDGF said:
Nope, but you might have wanted to prepare yourself for it. What a useless rant.

What does it mean to "prepare for it"? Bitching about it before it was officially announced would just be getting upset over speculation. Preparing for the worst is nothing more than telling people they should just quietly accept it.

What a useless consumer.

zoku88 said:
I would have never been able to play 7th Dragon if the DS were region-locked :-/
My 2 favorite DS puzzlers are Slitherlink and Pic Pic. The former is JP only, the latter is JP/EU only.
antonz said:
Being predictable doesn't make it suddenly acceptable. No drama here, only confirmed disappointment and I can't see why it shouldn't be voiced.

I'll join the line of people screaming no region free=no buy, utter disgrace, journalists should storm the stage next week and hold people hostage but they won't because they'll never be contacted by Nintendo again if they dare try to stage an uprising against Lord Iwata etc etc...I'll also be writing a stern letter to David Yarnton and Satoru Shibata on the matter (as well as Inazuma Eleven not getting a UK release, there is not releasing a game in a region and then there is not releasing it in the country) whenever I get time (and some postage stamps :lol ).

Tempy said:
On the XBOX 360 where regioning is seemingly up to the publisher, I am not surprised when big titles such as CODBLOPS are regioned. What baffles me though is how a lot of niche, no-way-are-they-gonna-bring-this-over titles such as Idolmaster are region-locked.
I think it was due to the fact you had to pay for approval for each region. Also if it turns out popular enough one of those niche publishers will pick it up (e.g.Deathsmiles) but you'll make it so they get NA only so EU will want the action so you get some money (form selling the licenses for those regions) for spending none...I don't 100% follow the logic either and it doesn't make total sense.

Palette Swap said:
My 2 favorite DS puzzlers are Slitherlink and Pic Pic. The former is JP only, the latter is JP/EU only.
Even then it was only some of the EU (or the UK release was extremely limited). In any case there wasn't much stock to go around at all.
I never managed to get a copy...just like Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World should have jumped on the French Amazon marketplaces sellers who were cheap and shipping to the UK when I could...

wrowa

zoku88 said:
I would have never been able to play 7th Dragon if the DS were region-locked :-/
I would have never been able to play most Atlus games, and an uncountable sum of other niche games (including my GOTY 2010 999) if the DS were region-locked.

Honestly, with a region lock the 3DS isn't very appealing to me anymore.

GDGF

Soothsayer
turnbuckle said:
What does it mean to "prepare for it"? Bitching about it before it was officially announced would just be getting upset over speculation. Preparing for the worst is nothing more than telling people they should just quietly accept it.

What a useless consumer.

Surely this most important post will show them the light. I've seen the error of my ways. Godspeed, turnbuckle.

Emitan

DR2K said:
I look forward to flash carts disabling region locking.
Great job, Nintendo. People have to go to ROM sites to play games that they've already purchased. Piracy has always been so easy on handhelds so I don't understand the reasoning behind this. Sure, no region locking means a publisher might lose out on some price gorging (this would be terrible, i know :lol ) but it also might make piracy take longer to appear and would certainly reduce the amount of people with flash carts.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Vinci said:
Man, you are better than this...

Well honestly that probably didn't come out right. Didn't really mean any offense by it. It just didn't strike me as surprising at all. And it doesn't really affect me as a consumer since I don't import.

antonz said:
The real question is whats nintendo of japans support email. Screw region coding lets get battery info
The link in the first post (a South Korean forum...IIRC isn't South Korea the only major Nintendo region not to have a 3DS release date) shows a screenshot that says support@nintendo.co.jp.

I think I once wrote an e-mail once to nintendo@nintendo.co.jp (back in about 1999) asking for any old NES, SNES or Game Boy developer kits they had. They told me they had none and then directed to me how to join their developer program.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
wrowa said:
I would have never been able to play most Atlus games, and an uncountable sum of other niche games (including my GOTY 2010 999) if the DS were region-locked.

Honestly, with a region lock the 3DS isn't very appealing to me anymore.

You just reminded me how I wouldn't have played The Dark Spire if I didn't have a region free DS. Damn. :\

I have never supported region locking in Nintendo consoles, and it's amazing they are still so backwards about it even now - moreso!

Emitan

Starwolf_UK said:
The link in the first post (a South Korean forum...IIRC isn't South Korea the only major Nintendo region not to have a 3DS release date) shows a screenshot that says support@nintendo.co.jp.

I think I once wrote an e-mail once to nintendo@nintendo.co.jp (back in about 1999) asking for any old NES, SNES or Game Boy developer kits they had. They told me they had none and then directed to me how to join their developer program.
1: Apply for a dev kit
2: Get denied for using a residential address
3: Buy an empty office and move your computer over
4: Apply for a dev kit
5: Success!

At least that's how I've always imagined it.

Danj

This sucks. Also, what will Little Johnny do when his mum can't buy him a game while they're on holiday?

Top Bottom