• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One Piece Manga |OT2| Four Emperors, One King, All Blue

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find certain crew quirks like Chopper getting embarrassed at compliments to be too infrequent to bother me.

I don't know if 'being cute' counts as a character quirk but all I know is that this happened:

tumblr_m4hvzvmEA61r0zt90o1_400.jpg

Which made me laugh, so I'm happy.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Vinsmokes will have their time to shine. Oda wouldn't introduce evil Tokusatsu heroes only to sideline them. We still don't know what any of the bros can do aside from Niji, who can kick with lightning.

With the way this arc is going they might not fight the Straw Hats, though. It might be Big Mom's pirates we see them fight.

LotusHD

Banned
I find certain crew quirks like Chopper getting embarrassed at compliments to be too infrequent to bother me.

I don't know if 'being cute' counts as a character quirk but all I know is that this happened:

tumblr_m4hvzvmEA61r0zt90o1_400.jpg

Which made me laugh, so I'm happy.

Characters like Law are the best, because you know Luffy and co. don't give a fuck about how serious a person you are, you're gonna get drawn into their shenanigans one way or another. (i.e. Law loves ninjas too!)

Characters like Law are the best, because you know Luffy and co. don't give a fuck about how serious a person you are, you're gonna get drawn into their shenanigans one way or another. (i.e. Law loves ninjas too!)

Someone on another forum theorized that with Capone's reaction last chapter, we can safely expect all the supernovas to get a big reaction to Luffy's shenanigans.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
I find it weird that both older bros have electricity in their title. I mean, when you hear "Sparking Red" the first thing you think of is lightning, but Niji has that down already. Maybe Ichiji has fire too, like Sanji (whose fire may or may not be due to being enhanced). And who the hell knows what "Winch Green" means...

I find it weird that both older bros have electricity in their title. I mean, when you hear "Sparking Red" the first thing you think of is lightning, but Niji has that down already. Maybe Ichiji has fire too, like Sanji (whose fire may or may not be due to being enhanced). And who the hell knows what "Winch Green" means...
I wonder if it's just names tho? Judge was rocking lightning kicks too

Nami, Chopper, Sanji humor isn't one note as Barto has been.

He's a huge fan of everyone on the crew and his constantly fanboying would get old really fast.

Sanji pervert antics can get old, Punk Hazard is a perfect example for that. Groping Nami tits when ever he can, stare at her body, hated the fact he didn't have a camera to take pictures and wanted to find a slime monster to dissolve her clothes.
mostly agreed...just saying Oda can make a lot of them great if he really wanted to. Barto is a mob boss crazy person, he's much more than just a straw hat fan lol.

My favorite is Boa tho, I don't think her love relationship with Luffy would get old at all because she would be constantly switching up personalities with the other crew members. But it's not gonna happen, I think she's too strong and established to join the crew now, and we know Oda is iffy with woman taking the spotlight unless they are Giants like big mom or something lol.

chopper was the strawhat that was amazed at all these new things in the beginning. notice how that didn't really become a big part of his character. people expect carrot to be nothing but this.
Eh I mean they all get amazed when they see crazy new things. She can bring more than that. Not about to get into that again tho. Carrot joining is taboo for some ppl in here 👀

SolVanderlyn

I wonder if it's just names tho? Judge was rocking lightning kicks too
I forgot about that. Judge might just have all of their powers combined though.

I still wonder about that panel where Oda went out of his way to hide his face when he took his mask off.

Red Fire

We all know judge has a third eye under his mask and is secretly puddings father

Which would make sanji puddings half-brother?

Oh fuck

SolVanderlyn

Dang, Lola with Alvida's fruit looks sort of like Pudding.
Incoming all girls in this series look the same quip

latest

Man God

Non-Canon Member
Reiju's the only one who isn't just a laughably evil monster with no redeeming qualities, if nothing else.

The rest of the family feel like they basically just exist to be off brand Celestial Dragons.

Yonji's not too bad either though he is terrible in the flashbacks.

Veelk

Banned
Can someone remind me how it was that Jinbei got off the hook with Big Mom when she first brought out the wheel? Did it just go "Uh....I changed my mind" "Oh. Okay then, your free to go."?

Can someone remind me how it was that Jinbei got off the hook with Big Mom when she first brought out the wheel? Did it just go "Uh....I changed my mind" "Oh. Okay then, your free to go."?

I think so. It's kind of unclear. All we know is he feigned staying on her crew instead so I guess she just took him as a coward and didn't do anything.

Daingurse

Just further proof that Jimbei is a coward.

He was perfectly fine putting his own life on the line, but said fuck that noise once he saw that his crew would also be impacted. I respected that choice greatly. Jimbei is a cool dude. If he survives this arc he'll make for a great Strawhat.

Big mom's entire beef with Jinbe was that leaving Big Mom's crew would be a blow to her manpower. So she gave him the choice to choose to stay with her or sacrifice his crew. With those conditions, he said he would stay and in Big mom's mind, she successfully coerced him and his subordinates into staying.

turmoil

Banned
So the beautiful females introduced as evil that stayed evil instead of becoming an ally/neutral are... 'Aldiva', Miss 1, Miss 5, Kalifa, Monet and no one else?

caliph95

So the beautiful females introduced as evil that stayed evil instead of becoming an ally/neutral are... 'Aldiva', Miss 1, Miss 5, Kalifa, Monet and no one else?
Pretty sure the CP9 and Baroque guys have normal day jobs in backups at least the ones that don't show plus Monet died so just Alvida

SolVanderlyn

I would run away from Smoothie. Creepiest OP villain IMO

Also Galette is the most attractive woman in the series and definitely still evil

4mhZVxd.png
NtLfdXE.png

turmoil

Banned
Smoothie is cute but I was thinking of characters whose main arc had already finished, so she, Galette, Ginrummy(sheepshead companion) are left out because Oda can still make the SHs befriend them.

I forgot about those front cover miniarcs, so Aldiva is the only that still wants Luffy's head :p

I don't count Sadi-chan and ruthless marines like Hina as it is part of their work.

Ray Down

Banned
Smoothie is cute but I was thinking of characters whose main arc had already finished, so she, Galette, Ginrummy(sheepshead companion) are left out because Oda can still make the SHs befriend them.

I forgot about those front cover miniarcs, so Aldiva is the only that still wants Luffy's head :p

I don't count Sadi-chan and ruthless marines like Hina as it is part of their work.

What ?

Veelk

Banned
So, Feminist Frequency posted a new video on the Lady Sidekick over on the gaming side.

I'll keep it short because I know people don't want this topic to take over the thread yet again, but I bring it up because it helps support an argument on it that I made a while ago, and perhaps didn't word well enough to convince some of it. I promise to keep it short though. Well, you know, short for me.

I often complain about female characters in OP not getting fights, or if they do, it's either minimalized or put offscreen. But typically, they stay out of them, one way or another, either because they play support, or they lose and have to tap out to give the fight to a male character, or something. But they never out and out fight and the problem of this is that it conveys that, in a story where fighting is the primary method of enacting change, not doing so is a mark of having less agency. And often a counter-argument I've heard is that they play a role as support and that's just as good. It's not. The most recent example of this, and this is a fight people praised for how Nami was involved, was the Cracker fight, where Nami's agency was validated by the fact that Nami was involved to the extent that she was the reason that Luffy was able to win.

And if it was just Nami, I might agree, except the context of OP is that women never take control of a fight the way male characters do. And the video talks about what bad stereotypes are reinforced when supporting characters aren't given an equal footing to stand on with the protagonist characters. So when I talk about why it sucks that female characters don't get fights, it is for these reasons why, and why I don't view Nami throwing water on Cracker while Luffy does the real work to be a valid counterargument for her having fighting agency, because her ability is entirely dependent on the male characters doing the actual work.

And the other thing I want to point out most is that Anita doesn't just argue that this is bad just because of how this would perpetuates negative stereotypes in real life, but it is a failure to write characters as authentic, believable human beings. That it's bad writing. Which I agree it is. It's part of what makes OP's work generally unsatisfying for me, like I've talked about many times before.

Which is why I still feel some excitement for Big Mom. At the very least, she has definitively demonstrated that she is someone who doesn't rely on others to support her (Well...I mean, she relies on her homies, but they are also her own soul, so she's technically relying on her own....fuck, you know what I mean). When she finds Brook having snuck in her home to steal her things, she calls up sunfire and cloudthunder to break him down, relying on her own power to get what she wants. In the last chapter, I liked that she seemed genuinely offended at the idea that Katakuri was trying to protect her, as if she couldn't do it herself, and he had to explain that it was actually about protecting that picture. Granted, to be entirely fair, we still never actually got to see her fight, just one snapshot when Big Mom and Brook talked to each other rather than fought, so lets not count our chickens before they hatch, but nevertheless, it seems that Big Mom SHOULD get a fight this arc, presumably against Luffy. Because she just doesn't seem like the type of person who wouldn't tear out the asshole of anyone who ruined her beloved daughters wedding day.

And I hope she does, because if that happens, OP will have, just this once, stepped out the cage it set for itself in how it's written female characters, and I'd genuinely be pleased to see that.
Especially since Pudding's clearly a bust.

Jigolo

You know, people like to shit on translators that aren't Viz but in this last chapter when Jinbei was explaining that guy's logia power, MS added a little foot note explaining what Mochi meant. I appreciated that. When I read it on Monday that was missing from the Viz translation. That ain't good at all.

Ray Down

Banned
Like Law was SUPER popular for barely doing anything in Sabaody.

And we weren't even done with his flashback and he was number 2 if I remember right. If Ace can stay in the top 10 after years of not doing anything so can Law.

SolVanderlyn

Law being a D. has made him like the secondary main character of the New World. Dressrosa was basically his arc more than it was Luffy's

Of course Luffy stole the show at the end like he always does though

Ray Down

Banned
From Sandman:

We got early spoilers for these 2 years, but I'm not 100% certain that it will occur this year as well.

A guy on 2ch said he will get Jump on May 3rd at latest.

Basically it's up in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom