• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Did Monolith Soft run over Square-Enix with 'X'?

Ezalc

MEANWHILE AT SQUARE JAPAN

LtiPZEl.gif

Ahahahaha this is amazing.

What roles did these people have and for what games. This is honestly the first time I am hearing this. I am sure it cannot be anyone major as it would have been pretty big news no. I also think that just because you acquire some devs that have worked on such iconic games it will not make your game iconic. Basically what I am trying to say is that I feel that making a game is a team effort and all those amazing jrpgs that SQ had made was due to their entire team not just a few people and so the inverse applies were a few people will not have a major difference on your game.

Some of the developers at Monolift soft have each had a hand at making the Square games listed earlier.

I agree that building a game is a team effort, but if you don't have a leader/director with a clear vision and support, you end up with a situation like Metal Gear Rising/FF12/ Versus/ The Last Guardian! All have great capable teams but due to the absense of a true leader or lack of a clear vision, the games are stuck trying to find it's identity

The fact that RE6 with its 600 team members cant even top a gamecube game shows that the director deserves just as much credit as the work the team puts in. Especially if that game becomes a classic.

One person with enough experience can make or break a game. They may not all be iconic, but you will definitely notice the quality of a game lead by an experienced proven director than a game without one.

There's reason why people get hyped when they here of a Miyamoto, Kojima, Shinji, Kamiya, Matsuno, Suda, and Takanshi games

Rootbeer

Banned
I love xenoblade chronicles T__T Thank you for existing, monolith soft. I will support you until the bitter end! Or until you turn out like Square-Enix... but I guess that kinda is a bitter end in a way.

Bring on X Wii U

MEANWHILE AT SQUARE JAPAN

LtiPZEl.gif

Can't be stressed enough. We can't let this fly! I miss the old Square.

Verendus

Banned
Joke thread?

I was massively hyped when I saw this thread thinking what Monolith must have shown, and went to see the trailer. Why is this more impressive than the FF Versus XIII trailer exactly? You just see some battles across some land and a robot flying. That's the entire one minute trailer. The Versus XIII trailer was far more impressive for the simple fact that it gives a better sense of the mood of the game, and also a better sense of its world aesthetics.

Let's get this straight, XIII and XIII-2 are shit. Xenoblade was actually good and much better than those pieces of crap. But there's nothing particularly impressive about this trailer. The only thing to get excited about is that Monolith seems to be making another RPG. Obviously, Monolith isn't perfect and they've made mediocre games too, but there's more of a chance of this being good since it looks similar to Xenoblade.

Talk about exaggeration. Versus XIII is last generation. Eyes aren't on SE anymore to see what they can do with hardware of the current generation, which is what the Wii U basically is. It's going to be what they can do with FF15 on next Playstation, and whether they can redeem themselves.

In just two or three years, Monolith has achieved to get the vibe of what many of us expected from FF Versus XIII.
No, it didn't. I don't know what you're referring to as vibe outside of open world RPG, but it's kind of impossible to tell anything outside of that right now.

smr00

Banned
What Square Enix? What Versus?

This is the day Monolith Soft bitch slapped SE silly and showed them how it's done.
God damn.

Fuck SE.
Fuck Capcom.
Fuck Versus.
Fuck Monster Hunter 4.
Fuck Nomura.
Fuck Toriyama
You watch your fucking mouth.

Them are fighting words bruh.

Hindle

Banned
Monolith are fast becoming the Square of the late nineties. Each game they make is met with a great reception. Not to mention they're far more competent.

I love xenoblade chronicles T__T Thank you for existing, monolith soft. I will support you until the bitter end! Or until you turn out like Square-Enix... but I guess that kinda is a bitter end in a way.

Bring on X Wii U

Can't be stressed enough. We can't let this fly! I miss the old Square.

Want to know what's INCREDIBLY ironic?

The founders of Monolith Soft were actually ex-Squaresoft employees.

Persona86

Banned
Ha-ha! but of course we haven't seen anything, companies tend to not show their vaporware software.

And yeah, I would gladly eat crow on that one.

Are you saying Versus is cancelled? LOL no

When the time comes, please upload a video of you eating a crow on youtube.

Famassu

between this and how bad LR looks and run
You mean the game that is barely in alpha stage? Jesus, there's a reason why Square Enix usually doesn't want to show much of their games too early.

I think Crystal Tools is starting to show its age.
Let's just wait & see what Versus looks by the time of release before judging.

X definitely shits all over Vs when it comes to visuals at this point
It doesn't "shit all over" Versus. That trailer showed better lighting than Versus, otherwise it was on par or, in some ways, worse than Versus (especially the character models, animations & effects). For example, the scene where that platform is flown through the city in Versus looks every bit as good (& more polished) as anything in this trailer.

Not only does the scale looks a lot bigger but the environment art looks much better too.
Versus should have airships, so we'll have to see how the scope is for that game. But eh? The environmental art is so much better in Versus.

donny2112

So. At what point will we need a Project Deluge to coalesce?

Announced in all three Nintendo Directs combined with apparent improvement in localization efforts with Pokemon X/Y
combined with heated fallout from lackluster release slates outside of Japan for 3DS and so many complained about skips in DS/Wii timeframe
means this is basically already confirmed for worldwide release.

GameMaster78

Neo Member
I would rather Square enix not tell me a story, if FFXIII was any indication.

Xenoblade told a far excellent store, with a lot of twists, while being on a system that had graphics dating back to PS2 and Xbox, and far more open than Almost Hallway Fantasy X, Hallway Fantasy XIII, and Troll Ending Fantasy XIII-2.

Xenoblade is the best RPG of the 7th gen, easily.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I was massively hyped when I saw this thread thinking what Monolith must have shown, and went to see the trailer. Why is this more impressive than the FF Versus XIII trailer exactly? You just see some battles across some land and a robot flying. That's the entire one minute trailer. The Versus XIII trailer was far more impressive for the simple fact that it gives a better sense of the mood of the game, and also a better sense of its world aesthetics.

Gameplay vs aesthetics.

You're making the same mistake Square has been making for the last few years.

I think the main difference is that in its first and only trailer, X has shown more gameplay than Versus has managed to show its multiple trailers over like seven years. I am a big fan of what Versus has shown but it has always had a feel of showing the conceptual goals of the game rather than anything real. Whereas, Monolith's showing looks like a actual game.

UberTag

Are you going to be saying this when you put the Versus disk in your console?
I've been waiting since May 2006 to do just that.

And given the way Square Enix has degraded since then, even if Versus does come out I may have to wait out the launch instead of the traditional Day 1 purchase to qualify that it has an ending and that it won't be microtransacted all to hell.

Why would they NOT employ the same tactics they've used with XIII-2 and All the Bravest? I'd say it's very clear what Square Enix thinks of us now.

Type 0 was a terrible game.
Clearly it must be. Otherwise it would have been ported to iOS by now.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Unless you're into nonsensical Kingdom Hearts sequels, I challenge this statement.
I believe that's a myth.
Tactics Ogre: LUCT was their last great game and I credit Quest and Matsuno for that... certainly not any of Square Enix's internal teams.

Apart from that we've gotten some competent Dragon Quest ports & new releases. If you're not into DQ or KH, what has there been that rates as "great"?

Persona86

Banned
I've been waiting since May 2006 to do just that.

And given the way Square Enix has degraded since then, even if Versus does come out I may have to wait out the launch instead of the traditional Day 1 purchase to qualify that it has an ending and that it won't be microtransacted all to hell.

Well you should at least rest easy to the fact that a different team is working on Versus, some who worked on FF7, it will be nothing like FF13. There is absolutely no reason for them to cancel it after all the work they have put into it and all the hype that surrounds it.

Just play other games while you wait, it will come when it comes. :)

Verendus

Banned
Gameplay vs aesthetics.

No, I'm not.

I have a sense of the mood of Versus XIIIs story, its aesthetics, and a very basic sense of the gameplay from its last trailer. It was 5 minutes long so there was plenty there gauge all of those different aspects, but a minimal amount of all of it.

I only have a basic sense of the gameplay in this trailer. It's one minute long and there's hardly anything to gauge from it.

It's literally a landscape, and some open world gameplay. There's nothing hugely impressive about it. I know nothing about the game's details, the actual mechanics of the gameplay system, customisation if its there, what type of game it actually is outside of just "RPG" and so on. If anything, the horrifying thing is that I see some kind of chat menu I'd expect to see in a MMO.

It's a barebones trailer.

The only thing impressive about the trailer is that Monolith is making another RPG.

sublimit

Banned
You watch your fucking mouth.

Them are fighting words bruh.

In terms of presentation (and parts of the combat) this looks how a proper current gen MH should have looked.Accept it.

I'm tired of Capcom playing it safe and cheap with this series.

Famassu

Metal Gear Rising/FF12/ Versus/ The Last Guardian! All have great capable teams but due to the absense of a true leader or lack of a clear vision, the games are stuck trying to find it's identity
Uh..., FFXII certainly didn't have any kind of absence of a "true leader" or lack of clear vision. It was just too ambitious. Matsuno clearly had a good vision of what he wanted the game to be, PS2 simply wasn't the hardware to try achieve that with, which they probably noticed too late to back down on.

Same goes for Last Guardian. They have vision, it's just that the vision is highly ambitious, which has ended up with them ending up with problems (seem to be mostly technical given that they needed to get help from Sony's tech wizards, not actual creative input or anything).

Also, if you think Nomura is someone who lacks vision, you are batshit insane. You are talking about a person who's not only made the most successful franchise for Square Enix since Squaresoft's Final Fantasy and Enix's Dragon Quest, but has also been there to nurture all kind of creativity inside Square Enix (he's very supportive of his development team's members' own ideas, even encouraging it) as well as given huge support for projects like The World Ends With You.

There's reason why people get hyped when they here of a Miyamoto, Kojima, Shinji, Kamiya, Matsuno, Suda, and Takanshi games
I'd personally put SQEX people like Ito, Nomura, Tabata, Yoshida, Yasue & such up there as people who are worth getting hyped about when they announce a new game they are directing or are otherwise a big part of.

How many people in this thread have played Xenoblade (including the OP)? The combat system in this game seems to be the exact same, so calling it an "action RPG" is only a half truth. I'm equally puzzled at the people comparing it to FFXIV. :/

Toth

People are getting ridiculous here. We know so little of this game. We don't even know for sure if it is SP. it is not fair to SE and certainly not far to Monolith to make any kind of statement.

Joke thread?

Let's get this straight, XIII and XIII-2 are shit. Xenoblade was actually good and much better than those pieces of crap. But there's nothing particularly impressive about this trailer. The only thing to get excited about is that Monolith seems to be making another RPG. Obviously, Monolith isn't perfect and they've made mediocre games too, but there's more of a chance of this being good since it looks similar to Xenoblade.

Talk about exaggeration. Versus XIII is last generation. Eyes aren't on SE anymore to see what they can do with hardware of the current generation, which is what the Wii U basically is. It's going to be what they can do with FF15 on next Playstation, and whether they can redeem themselves.

No, it didn't. I don't know what you're referring to as vibe outside of open world RPG, but it's kind of impossible to tell anything outside of that right now.

How many announcements, trailers and years did it take to see 5 minutes of footage from Versus?

....X only had one announcement trailer

So to answer your question... I guess it's the potential for this game that has everyone excited.
Xenoblade was THE JRPG on dated hardware so our imaginations and the gameplay have us hyped where Versus is only a distant dream until Square says otherwise.

I want Versus, but a 6 to 7+ year wait will leave anyone's hype level pretty low, especially when the company is keeping quiet on it.

Also, in the 1-2 years "X" has been in development (Xenoblade shipped June 2010), The trailer has show more ambition than all of the Fabula Nova Crystallis games combined, which is sad since the game is practically an HD remake of a Wii game; not including the transformers[Dolls])

kitzkozan

Too many people are getting carried away. X will be a low selling game, perhaps getting to 1 million copies sold at best. The vast majority of the western gaming market doesn't care for jrpg outside of FF(and the popularity of the brand is falling off anyway).

The quality gap might be hugely in favor of X, but in the real world it's irrelevant. Making a great game and hardly making back the money must suck for the publisher/developer. Even with as bad as Square-Enix is these days, Monolith isn't a menace to them in any shape or form until proved otherwise. If they can eventually capture the jrpg western fanbase of FF/SE they will deal them the death blow or wake them up but until then...

Verendus

Banned
How many announcements, trailers and years did it take to see 5 minutes of footage from Versus?

....X only had one announcement trailer

So to answer your question... I guess it's the potential for this game that has everyone excited.
Xenoblade was THE JRPG on dated hardware so our imaginations and the gameplay have us hyped where Versus is only a distant dream until Square says otherwise.

I want Versus, but 6-7+ year wait will leave anyones hype levels pretty low, especially when the company is keeping quiet on it.

Also, in the 1-2 years "X" has been in development (Xenoblade shipped June 2010), The trailer has show more ambition than all of the Fabula Nova Crystallis games combined, which is sad since the game is a HD port off a Wii game; not including the transformers[Dolls])
Why does it matter if there's one trailer and three trailers?

People are way overhyping such a mediocre trailer. This very thread is a joke.

It's nice to talk about potential, sure. That's pretty much what people were basing their hype on with Versus XIII. A game that is supposed to be open world, have a variant of the KH battle system, have airships, chocobos, blood, and big towns. Those elements paint a nice picture, but we haven't exactly seen much of it, have we?

We haven't seen much here either though. We've seen even less actually, regardless of whether there's been one trailer for this, or three trailers for Versus XIII. This thread's premise is that it's basically doing what Versus XIII isn't. I'm not even going to bother with the FNC since all the games released in it, outside of apparently Type-0, are a joke. But this trailer doesn't show more ambition than all of them combined. That's so much hyperbole. There's next to nothing in the damn trailer. And we know nothing about the game.

Famassu

And given the way Square Enix has degraded since then
If by "degraded" you mean "released many of their best games ever & some of the best games in their genre", sure.

even if Versus does come out I may have to wait out the launch instead of the traditional Day 1 purchase to qualify that it has an ending and that it won't be microtransacted all to hell.
They've had, like, TWO games on traditional gaming platforms with any kind of DLC (one a music game that was filled to brim with content without the DLC). Hardly a reason to go in exaggerated bitchy panic mode.

Why would they NOT employ the same tactics they've used with XIII-2 and All the Bravest? I'd say it's very clear what Square Enix thinks of us now.
1) XIII-2 was hardly "microtransacted all to hell", it had a few extra boss battles + some costumes as DLC, pretty mild in comparison to a lot of other games. And they've already said they won't be repeating the whole "true ending in DLC" they did with the LIghtning DLC in XIII-2. Besides, how many games from Nomura have you seen with shittons of useless DLC? Zero? yeah, that's what I figured.

2) Because a massive home console JRPG from Nomura =/= some throwaway iOS release that is made purely to cash in on nostalgia, like all other publishers do with many of their iOS/browser games yet they are still capable of releasing games on home consoles that don't have that kind of stuff.

Yeeeeeah, no. They are still the biggest JRPG developer and have made some of the best entries in the genre within the last few years (whereas Monolith has only done one, while also being involved in some crap like Disaster: Day of Crisis).
Have you actually played Disaster?

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
People are getting ridiculous here. We know so little of this game. We don't even know for sure if it is SP. it is not fair to SE and certainly not far to Monolith to make any kind of statement.

Pretty sure it's like Xenoblade.

I don't see how you could come to any other conclusion.

Clevinger

Joke thread?

I was massively hyped when I saw this thread thinking what Monolith must have shown, and went to see the trailer. Why is this more impressive than the FF Versus XIII trailer exactly?

Better graphics, huge draw distance promising a huge, beautiful, and interesting world to explore, the knowledge that Monolith can actually deliver on their promise and in a regular development cycle no less, Takahashi probably writing another story etc.

Versus looks like a bunch of half baked ideas thrown at a wall that might but probably won't deliver, it had a nightmarish development cycle, and who knows when or if it'll come out and in what state. Meh.

Why does it matter if there's one trailer and three trailers?

People are way overhyping such a mediocre trailer. This very thread is a joke.

It's nice to talk about potential, sure. That's pretty much what people were basing their hype on with Versus XIII. A game that is supposed to be open world, have a variant of the KH battle system, have airships, chocobos, blood, and big towns. Those elements paint a nice picture, but we haven't exactly seen much of it, have we?

We haven't seen much here either though. We've seen even less actually, regardless of whether there's been one trailer for this, or three trailers for Versus XIII. This thread's premise is that it's basically doing what Versus XIII isn't. I'm not even going to bother with the FNC since all the games released in it, outside of apparently Type-0, are a joke. But this trailer doesn't show more ambition than all of them combined. That's so much hyperbole. There's next to nothing in the damn trailer. And we know nothing about the game.

Which FNC game was better or more ambitious than Xenoblade?

Even though we dont have a lot of information this game "looks" to be the HD version of Xenoblade and then some with its open worlds (which 13 never had) Online/local Co-op-Communication potential (which none of the FNC's had) and transforming assault mechs.

If that isnt ambitious when compared to FNC series than I dont know what is.

And we haven't even seen HD towns yet.

CorvoSol

I'm convinced that Type-0 and Bravely Default were made by a company other than Square Enix.

There are five Square Enixes.

1)Eidos, which does it's own thang.
2)The mystical, mythical company that put out Type-0 and Bravely Default.
3)Enix, which only emerges every so often to remind you of Dragon Quest.
4)Nomura soft, which puts out all these neat little KH games, TWEWY, and claims to have a top-secret console game in the works.
5)Square, which only releases FF4 ports and FFXIII sequels.

Verendus

Banned
Better graphics, huge draw distance promising a huge, beautiful, and interesting world to explore, the knowledge that Monolith can actually deliver on their promise and in a regular development cycle no less, Takahashi probably writing another story etc.

Versus looks like a bunch of half baked ideas thrown at a wall that might but probably won't deliver, it had a nightmarish development cycle, and who knows when or if it'll come out and in what state. Meh.
Basically, you know next to nothing about the two games to even make a comparison.

Boerseun

Banned
Baten Kaitos Origins is the best console RPG of its generation. Ditto for Xenoblade Chronicles. There's no reason to believe that Monolith won't deliver yet again.

I think so. X is by far the most impressive looking HD JRPG I have seen and it even one ups the look of the small snippets of gameplay we got of Versus. Wasn't a huge fan of Xenoblade but I am still insanely hyped for this.

Eidan

Basically, you know next to nothing about the two games to even make a comparison.

All we really know is that X is made by the same people who brought us Xenoblade, that the game looks to be much like Xenoblade, and that it will release years before Versus.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'm convinced that Type-0 and Bravely Default were made by a company other than Square Enix.

4)Nomura soft, which puts out all these neat little KH games, TWEWY, and claims to have a top-secret console game in the works.
5)Square, which only releases FF4 ports and FFXIII sequels.

Only two games out of Square I care about.

DQ7 is another.

Not seeing the Versus XIII connection. Looks nothing like it. Graphically/artistically it looks just like FFXIII but with Xenoblade style wide open fields.

Famassu

Gameplay vs aesthetics.

Except Square Enix has made at the very least two better action RPGs than Xenoblade in the last few years. And X, based on the trailer, has some shitty looking shooting and stiff melee combat.

But I understand this game is probably somewhat unpolished, so it'll get better.

Better graphics
A more recent platform can pump out some more advanced stuff? SHOCKER. Besides, there are quite a few things that looked better in the January 2011 trailer of Versus.

huge draw distance promising a huge, beautiful, and interesting world to explore
Lol, quite a lot you are taking away from a minute long trailer from which you can barely make out any of the environments (and some of those look quite ugly). You can give the exact same attributes to Versus.

the knowledge that Monolith can actually deliver on their promise and in a regular development cycle no less
Versus hasn't really had any more irregular a development cycle, it has just been constantly interrupted by Square Enix execs putting the team to work on other teams' projects since THEY have screwed up (not Nomura's team). The game was announced way too early and they've apologized for that, but after that the development has advanced as any other game's, except with the interruptions.

Versus looks like a bunch of half baked ideas thrown at a wall that might but probably won't deliver
Aaaand... what exactly makes these ideas half-baked? It has a massive world with tons of secrets to be found, by Nomura's words. It has a combat system that is somewhat similar to Kingdom Hearts games, but a bit more weighty and with the possibility to control all the characters in your team (unlike in KH). It will have Chocobos, possibly airships with dogfights, you can drive cars, take control of enemy vehicles, there's some emphasis on a bit of destructible environment... Which one of these ideas sounds somehow half-baked?

it had a nightmarish development cycle
If 4-4,5 years by the time it comes out is "nightmareish", sure...

and who knows when or if it'll come out and in what state. Meh.
Well, given that PS4 & Nextbox will launch this year, I can't see it being released much later than Q1 2014.

Also, I don't think we have anything to worry about the state of the game when it releases. If anything, even that early version in 2011 looked more polished & better than most JPRGs around nowadays.

sublimit

Banned

5)Square, which only releases iOS games, FF4 ports and FFXIII sequels.

Just added a small detail and i agree completely.

Clevinger

Versus hasn't really had any more irregular a development cycle, it has just been constantly interrupted by Square Enix execs putting the team to work on other teams' projects since THEY have screwed up (not Nomura's team).

Nomura, is that you!?

Top Bottom