• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CIVILIZATION VI |OT| He's Got the Whole World in His Hands

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Never done this before but very tempted as I will be out for this weekend. So won't get to unpack the game till Monday. Is this a very bannable offense under steam?

Strictly speaking, using a VPN at all is against the SSA, but in practice Valve only cares if you're using one to aid in cross-region purchasing or the activation of region-locked gifts. Nobody has ever been banned or had their account restricted for using one solely to unlock a game early or activate a region-locked key.

Sendou

Yes. It unlocks in AU, NZ and Asia in ~3 hours and 50 minutes.

Steps, for those unfamiliar:

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
3) Connect to a server in Australia, New Zealand or Asia
4) Restart Steam (if you're logged in)
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

Thanks for the steps and sorry for a dumb question but how do I switch to offline mode if my computer has internet connection?

Question to anniversary edition buyers. Do you keep it sealed for collecting and buy another one digital?

Ive done this to some Nintendo games (thank god) but never bought one for pc.

StayDead

1) Log out of the Steam mobile app and change your password via the the desktop client
1) Download and install FlyVPN (20-minute session limit) TunnelBear (500MB data limit), VPN Gate (no hard limits) or VyprVPN (500MB bandwidth limit).
5) Unlock the game
6, optional) Switch to Offline Mode to preserve the "Play" button as it will revert back to "Pre-load" once you're no longer connected to the VPN (even if you disconnect mid-game, you won't be booted out)

I know what I'm playing when I'm getting back from work! Yay!

ISee

5) Unlock the game

thx

epmode

No review copies, and preview copies have expired from what Quill18 has said. Seems to be a running trend with 2K games in favour of getting streamers involved
Whatever the reason, it's a lousy trend. Especially when pre-order extras are involved.

(At least the pre-order bonus will be released for free in a few months)

Denur

Great OP. Finished my last Civ5 game today after having played it for over 2000 hours and probably a multitude of that for all the previous Civilization games since Civ1. Looking forward to Civ6.

Lister

Banned
Aha, I'm still on the fence whether to buy it or not. I love Civ 5 but the Beyond Earth was a big disappointment for me.

We've had plenty fo impressions though and the buzz is deifnitely positive, very unlike the situation with Beyond Earth.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Cracked and preordered and preloaded despite having not finished a game of Civ 5 complete edition I bought cheap a while back. Was playing it more last night and just decided that if I'm going to put the time into learning the series/genre, might as well do it with the no one that will have more bells and whistles, quality of life improvements etc.

Looking forward to it, though I won't be able to dive in as much as I'd like as I'm busy with working and preparing to move houses over the next couple of weeks.

Mercador

Whatever the reason, it's a lousy trend. Especially when pre-order extras are involved.

(At least the pre-order bonus will be released for free in a few months)

Streamers are easier to manipulate than journalists with an ethic code (though gaming journalism is quite a jungle)

Streamers are easier to manipulate than journalists with an ethic code (though gaming journalism is quite a jungle)

On the other side i can actually see what they are doing in the game and if the game itself is rubbish, boring or st like that, they hardly can tell me its a fantastic experience.

So i prefer a one-hour-gamplayvideo where someone is showing the mechanics and graphics of the game, instead of hitting a scale of x/100 to get others interested or not. User reviews added and its a good estimate.

Of course there are good reviews i easily can trust, like the most ones from rps for example.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I think we know enough about it to make an informed decision.

It's gonna get solidly good marks across the board.

Yep, the game looks great from everything I’ve seen so far, and I’ve watched a LOT of gameplay footage. My only actual concern at this point is the state of the AI. I mean it seems to do an okay job but I have noticed some cracks in it, and that AI battle royal they showed us yesterday kinda confirmed some of my concerns. On the flip side though, the footage was all pre-release code, and even the battle royal was done on a two week old build of the game and did not include final tweaks, so the AI at release just might be better than we’ve seen so far.

It's far from a deal breaker for me though as I’m an average skill player at best who usually plays at Prince or a skill level above Prince, so killer super deadly AI isn’t really something I need, lol. And if there are AI issues then they’ll have that patched up quickly anyway, both Civ 4 and 5 had similar AI issues at the outset and they were fixed up as well. The core of the game and the mechanics look to be fantastic, and I’m anxious to get my hands on it and to start learning the new features. If they do need to bolster the AI then hopefully I’m ready by that time to take it on!

Merino

Not sure what is up but Green Man Gaming is refusing to let me log in. Tried making new accounts but it keeps saying my password/username do not match. I did receive the activation link (and used it).

Anyone know a good alternative site to buy (I'm in EU)?

ISee

Not sure what is up but Green Man Gaming is refusing to let me log in. Tried making new accounts but it keeps saying my password/username do not match. I did receive the activation link (and used it).

Anyone know a good alternative site to buy (I'm in EU)?

I bought from mmoga.de 43.99€. Received my key this morning.
edit: 25th anniversary key DLC included.

rdytoroll

5) Unlock the game

I guess you have to deactivate Two Factor Authentication before, right?

addik

Any word on when the mac version could possibly drop by? Can't wait to play this game!

I'm actually quite fortunate that this is dropping later on the Mac since I am swarmed with deadlines the next few weeks until the holidays. I'm sure if we got the Mac version tomorrow too I would be unemployed from failing to meet those deadlines lol.

Wes

venison crêpe
Can't wait for this. I'm currently on holiday and seeing monuments and ruins has just made the wait for the game that much harder.

I love the sound of everything I've read and seen over the past couple of months. The strongest aspect of the geography on choices is particularly pleasing to me.

dakun

is it possible it's decrypting files before downloading the update? My disk usage is high but it's not downloading anything

Top Bottom