• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Almost everything ships unplayably broken on disc

Zelda will not start without its day 1 update, I tried on my wii u and it lied and claimed it was a "system firmware out of date" error until i let the ""game"" day 1 update install

I think your confusing a patch with Zelda's mandatory install on the Wii U which is downloaded off the disc. The game is not "broken on disc."

Just wanted to share, EB games is carrying some printed NES box arts in a faux-wood frame for 20 bucks a pop. I think they're pretty sharp!

2G3LyuR.jpg

farisr

Decided on cancelling my Lego undercover orders, not all that interested in trade in credit restricted to eb or trying to sell a switch game on Kijiji. Probably will do the same for ffxii closer to release.

Has Shoppers been stocking the Switch? I see accessories and a few games but never even a price tag for the console.
I swing by one every day around the same time so I figure it'll probably be my best bet in finding one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Has Shoppers been stocking the Switch? I see accessories and a few games but never even a price tag for the console.
I swing by one every day around the same time so I figure it'll probably be my best bet in finding one.
Did you ever consider asking the people who work there?

Cynar

I purchased mine at a shoppers the day after launch. Some stores don't have the inventory on display and you need to ask if they have it in stock.

Animal Crossing: New Leaf amiibo Card Giveaway

Okay, this is a bit self promotional, but basically skim of it is that I run a small Animal Crossing fansite and am hosting a giveaway with Animal Crossing amiibo card prizes provided from Nintendo of Canada. We're giving away fifty amiibo card packs, one each to fifty people. All you have to do is head over to the site and leave a short comment about your favourite feature in the recent update for New Leaf. Quite honestly, it's a pretty small site and it's only open to Canada, so you have a pretty damn good chance of winning one!

http://animalcrossingworld.com/2017...new-leaf-welcome-amiibo-amiibo-card-giveaway/

Again, apologies for what is technically an ad of sorts, but I thought it'd be worth sharing here because ~~FREE STUFF~~ and it's only for Canadians!

Thanks.

Iced

Has anyone received their Switch from Best Buy's stock on Friday? Here's how mine arrived:

pxMcRgu.jpg

Note the red flap on the right, which is supposed to be tucked into the box like the one on the left. It also shows significant wear, as if someone had tried unsuccessfully to close the box up after having opened it. This was the $479.99 Zelda bundle, by the way. I think I'm just going to return it because I have a feeling it's been opened and returned (possibly March 3 stock?)

Ugh.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Has anyone received their Switch from Best Buy's stock on Friday? Here's how mine arrived:

pxMcRgu.jpg

Note the red flap on the right, which is supposed to be tucked into the box like the one on the left. It also shows significant wear, as if someone had tried to unsuccessfully to close the box up after having opened it. This was the $479.99 Zelda bundle, by the way. I think I'm just going to return it because I have a feeling it's been opened and returned (possibly March 3 stock?)

Ugh.

Well as long as there are no scratches or sign of use, why does it matter.

AzerPhire

Because I don't want to pay $479.99 for opened product which was possibly used, and possibly has something wrong with it.

But was it actually used? Have you opened it and looked? Rather than coming to GAF to complain first maybe try opening it to see what the condition is?

Iced

But was it actually used? Have you opened it and looked? Rather than coming to GAF to complain first maybe try opening it to see what the condition is?

I don't know, and I have no way to know due to how Nintendo packages the system. I've seen unboxing videos and absolutely nothing is sealed.

And I didn't come here to complain. I posted to see if anyone else had similar experiences with Best Buy, and to inform those who did buy their console on Friday to be on the lookout.

Lexxism

I don't know, and I have no way to know due to how Nintendo packages the system. I've seen unboxing videos and absolutely nothing is sealed.

And I didn't come here to complain. I posted to see if anyone else had similar experiences with Best Buy, and to inform those who did buy their console on Friday to be on the lookout.
Well, the packaging I got from EB was sealed. There's a tape on it.

The Switch I ordered from Best Buy last week came without tape on the outside of the box as well, it just opens up. I haven't unpacked it yet, but the tablet and joycons are in bags, at least.

P.S. For anyone who missed out on $29.99 Dragon Quest Builders at Best Buy, Amazon.ca has also dropped their price!

...to $54.99. Sigh.

mdubs

Banned
The Switch I ordered from Best Buy last week came without tape on the outside of the box as well, it just opens up. I haven't unpacked it yet, but the tablet and joycons are in bags, at least.

They all come like this, Nintendo doesn't put stickers on the side of boxes anymore for whatever reason\

Edit: I see this in context now

saskuatch

The launch day switch I bought was not sealed I was first one in the store to get it too so no way it was returned. First piece of electronics I have ever bought that came in an unsealed box. I was also quite surprised the switch unit didn't have that peel off plastic surface protection. The packaging was quite poor, the 40 dollar Sennheiser I bought for the switch had better packaging...

Amazon dropped the ball again, on Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5. It still hasn't shipped.

It's pretty crazy how bad they are now. The last time something shipped on time was like two months ago. I'm a paying Prime member and everything.

Iced

There was no tape on mine, got it from Amazon on launch

That box you got just looks like it got thrown around in transit and the flap caught onto something IMO

Yeah, that could be it. I don't know what it would have gotten caught on, but it's possible, I suppose.

Edit: I just opened the box and now that I've seen the rest of the red flap, I'm not sure how that could have happened in transit.

Cynar

pxMcRgu.jpg

Note the red flap on the right, which is supposed to be tucked into the box like the one on the left. It also shows significant wear, as if someone had tried unsuccessfully to close the box up after having opened it. This was the $479.99 Zelda bundle, by the way. I think I'm just going to return it because I have a feeling it's been opened and returned (possibly March 3 stock?)

Ugh.

They don't come sealed as everyone except the ebgames purchased guy was saying. Mine was a launch unit and the outside sleeve can just slide off.

Amazon dropped the ball again, on Kingdom Hearts 1.5+2.5. It still hasn't shipped.

It's pretty crazy how bad they are now. The last time something shipped on time was like two months ago. I'm a paying Prime member and everything.

Mine is surprisingly out for delivery.

They screwed up with mario sports though but I don't care that much.

Lexxism

Really? I wonder if EB themselves put tape on it, because I've never seen that.

There was no tape on mine, got it from Amazon on launch

That box you got just looks like it got thrown around in transit and the flap caught onto something IMO
I was actually surprised myself when I saw the tape on it. I usually don't see one anymore when I buy one.

I was actually surprised myself when I saw the tape on it. I usually don't see one anymore when I buy one.

Yeah there is no tape. Could've been there to protect themselves from scammy returns.

When I got mine the inside was a little dusty, felt like someone opened it. Turns out Switch's packaging isn't the best in the world.

imBask

Banned
Yeah, that could be it. I don't know what it would have gotten caught on, but it's possible, I suppose.

Edit: I just opened the box and now that I've seen the rest of the red flap, I'm not sure how that could have happened in transit.

idk man, like if you want to send it back and can wait on playing Zelda go for it but that sounds crazy to me, unless there are clear smudges on the console and stuff

Iced

pxMcRgu.jpg

Ugh.

Update on this. I called Nintendo support and she informed me that the Switch was registered at 15:56 on March 19. I told her that the box appeared to be opened. She told me I should definitely return it. So there ya go.

If anyone else wants to check they can call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700. I simply needed to provide the system serial number.

Moltenix

Update on this. I called Nintendo support and she informed me that the Switch was registered at 15:56 on March 19. I told her that the box appeared to be opened. She told me I should definitely return it. So there ya go.

If anyone else wants to check they can call Nintendo at 1-800-255-3700. I simply needed to provide the system serial number.

Damn, that sucks. Finally got your hands on a Switch and it turns out to be a used and returned unit. :\

Iced

Man that's pretty shady.

I'm not sure if this is an isolated incident or if Best Buy was releasing old returned stock back into the wild on Friday, but regardless I think it's a good idea for anyone who got one from them to call Nintendo and check (if it's something that would concern them). I'm not really sure how they operate as far as returned merchandise goes, but I assumed things like this would go back on the floor with a slight discount. Perhaps someone with more knowledge on this could educate me though. I'm really curious!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom