• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flags, features pirates and co-op

I get down on my knees and pray,
we don't get fooled again.

When the gameply started to get a bit stale I stayed for the story.
AC3 had to retcon previous games to fuck up the story.
I can't buy another one of these.

Not a fan of the yearly-release for AC (I thought they said they were moving away from that?)

But, dammit, I am a fan of the Naval Battles and I'd kill for more of that.

Lime

I get down on my knees and pray,
we don't get fooled again.

When the gameply started to get a bit stale I stayed for the story.
AC3 had to retcon previous games to fuck up the story.
I can't buy another one of these.

Is this an adaptation of an actual song?

Zeal

Banned
Dang, AC series might actually need a break at this point.

And before Halo is even mentioned, yes, I agree unless it's changed up enough soon.

I'm sad to see Connor and the AmerRev era being potentially dropped, but fuck it I'm excited for more naval battles. I wanted this game since Red Dead Redemption made me want that game with pirate lore.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I'm sad to see Connor and the AmerRev era being potentially dropped,

I'm not, AC3 had a rather boring protagonist in an even more boring environment that was America, I will be pretty happy if they move on but keep the navel stuff.

"What is a worst setting for our parkour game than forests and plains?"
"How about the middle of the ocean?"

lol, depends how they do it, throwing it out that, I would be totally fine if they went all Windwaker and gave us a large open ocean map with islands that were totally open for exploration on foot, it would allow for the traversal seen in the frontier while still giving us a couple of small towns and say a large city.

Though at this point AC is starting to become a totally different franchise than the first couple were.

"What is a worst setting for our parkour game than forests and plains?"
"How about the middle of the ocean?"

Why can't they break away from being "the parkour game"? Seems rather restricted for the many possible periods they can reproduce. Besides, Jumping through trees and climbing cliffs > forced traversal over the same rooftops recycled through every game.

I'm not, AC3 had a rather boring protagonist in an even more boring environment that was America, I will be pretty happy if they move on but keep the navel stuff.

To each their own of course. I'm well aware I'm in the minority. My VG heroes don't always need to be the same guy. A strong boy that developed into a naive man, confused between father figures is a damn compelling story in my book. And yes, their execution of the time period sucks, but another chance with a sidequel could have produced better results. I liked the hint of Connor tackling slavery.

Lime

You come at the king you best not miss

1213550204-00h2u4w.jpg

(or the remake if you prefer that one)

Pitmonkey

So slightly different question. With Ubisoft announcing only 600K units sold of Liberation and Capcom getting the ball rolling with porting over it's 3DS RE: Revilations to the HD twins, so you think Ubisoft will do the same with Liberation?

meta4

One of the worst new IP's of this generation. Ubisoft still cannot design a competent open world game so I fear for watch dogs as well.

CengizMan

This might be interesting. The Strategic Sales Manager at Ubisoft from The Netherlands tweeted the following today:

630658973e0e4434b82429d.png

Source: https://twitter.com/CemYildiz/status/300921831274201088

This could be, of course, about anything. However, as there are already rumours about a logo and title and as the game will see a release this fiscal year, he might be going to take a peek at the new Assassin's Creed. I am a big fan of Ubisoft's marketing here, so I wonder how they will surprise us this time!

Ship battles were boring in AC3. I just blew through them to get them over with.

Slowly and painstakingly line yourself up with another ship. Press one of two buttons. Rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile, there were only a few cool platforming sections. But dozens of boring naval battles. That was really a fail in my book.

Woorloog

Banned
Pirate AC? Might actually interest me.
I liked the idea of AC1 but didn't really like the game. I loved AC2 but then that damn scifi plot became too weird... didn't play any ACs after that.

monome

Why can't they break away from being "the parkour game"?

hummm?
No parkour, no AssCreed as far as I'm concerned.
that's the one mechanic that drew me to the game, and why I prefer Ass1 to any other because although the gameplay was not super great, the environments were better designed for aimlessly wandering around.
I thought the gameplay took a dive in Ass2 because the buildings were too complicated.
AnvilNext brought better controls in Ass3 but the environments, especially the towns were a poor match for a parkour game.

Just gimme a cool setting, a hidden blade and perfect controls and you might see my money again Ubi. Moustachioed russian "pirate???" won't cut it.

hummm?
No parkour, no AssCreed as far as I'm concerned.
that's the one mechanic that drew me to the game, and why I prefer Ass1 to any other because although the gameplay was not super great, the environments were better designed for aimlessly wandering around.
I thought the gameplay took a dive in Ass2 because the buildings were too complicated.
AnvilNext brought better controls in Ass3 but the environments, especially the towns were a poor match for a parkour game.

Just gimme a cool setting, a hidden blade and perfect controls and you might see my money again Ubi. Moustachioed russian "pirate???" won't cut it.

Well, you can't win them all. I'd personally hate if they felt obligated to include parkour just because and therefore refused to tackle certain periods/settings as a result. Besides, parkouring through the forests/frontier is well done, where's the problem?

I'm sure Nikoli up there is not our pirate for the next installment. He was portrayed in a comic series.

And for the guy against the naval battles, I get you. I thought they were fun but if they want an entire game around it, they need to offer more dynamic options. I want to wander the sea between battles, able to explore my ship during the voyage between ports/battles.

The ship sections were probably the least buggy game mechanic in the entire AC3 game so it makes sense they want to focus on it. Reusing the same assets and engine are about the only way they churn this thing out in a year.

aC3 was the final straw for my assassins addiction so they are going to have todo amazing stuff to bring me back in.

Finding islands with the awesome underground tombs of ac2 , that might be awesome.

monome

Ancient human escaping an Old Ones' town with only a hidden dagger for weapon > ridiculous history reimagining.

Ubi never even nailed the gameplay before it took itself so seriously and mixed History and bad writting.

grandjedi6

Master of the Google Search
Why are they wasting the IV on this? Perhaps they really do want to milk AC as much as they can this gen before moving on to something new.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Ship battles were boring in AC3. I just blew through them to get them over with.

Slowly and painstakingly line yourself up with another ship. Press one of two buttons. Rinse, repeat.

Meanwhile, there were only a few cool platforming sections. But dozens of boring naval battles. That was really a fail in my book.

WHAT!? They were the best part of the game! Amazing how we can hold such differing opinions. I couldnt wait to do more ship missions, while I found the rest of AC3 to be a major disappointment.

Does anyone else wish AC had more "Open world, here is a list of targets, find them without help and kill them how ever you can". Kinda like Mercenaries, but add in some "where in the world is Carmen Sandiego" style having to identify the target based off habits, cloths, people that around him/her?

rataven

That looks.....odd. No red in the logo? And the protag looks like Connor. Also strange to give a mainline entry a subtitle. We'll see.

But oh god yes pirates yay

TriGen

I believed it when it was first rumored. I also think it's a great idea, and as someone who's drifted away from AC I'm glad to see it's happening.

amorbis

I cannot confirm the legitimacy of the website but, according to PS3Site, the press embargo lifts Monday, March 4. The posters will appear in stores the same day.

Top Bottom