• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Better Together |OT| Won't Somebody Please Think of the Children?

joined the realm :)

Anyone know why texts from other players would show up as "####" instead? I thought it was profanity filtering on realms but that's "***". Whole messages from players are sometimes blocked, sometimes shown.
seems like it's for the first few "moments". We had this as well and the next message was fine.

After digging around apparently the #### is the server muting the player because the chat filter is stupid. Thats why it's temporary and inconsistent.

Like if you type the word night it'll censor you out cause it has "nig" in it.

So what do we know about the upcoming Switch version of the game? Can anyone point me to the best link/article covering it so far?

I played a bit of MC on the 360 years ago and enjoyed it to a point. That was before I had kids. Now my oldest daughter is almost 5 and I think it would fun to start getting into this and see if she might like watching me play, or trying to jump in (she really hasn't played any games yet). I have a PS4 and have thought several times about buying it there, but haven't pulled the trigger. BUT now I'm about 99% sure I'll buy a Switch sometime this fall, so I'm thinking it will be best to get it there. Just wondering how those versions will stack up (beyond the lack of BT on PS4)...

gamz

So what do we know about the upcoming Switch version of the game? Can anyone point me to the best link/article covering it so far?

I played a bit of MC on the 360 years ago and enjoyed it to a point. That was before I had kids. Now my oldest daughter is almost 5 and I think it would fun to start getting into this and see if she might like watching me play, or trying to jump in (she really hasn't played any games yet). I have a PS4 and have thought several times about buying it there, but haven't pulled the trigger. BUT now I'm about 99% sure I'll buy a Switch sometime this fall, so I'm thinking it will be best to get it there. Just wondering how those versions will stack up (beyond the lack of BT on PS4)...

My kids mainly play it on tablets. I didn't even have to show them MC. I bought it because they asked and 4 years later they still play it. Still trying to figure out how they even found out about sharing worlds and what not.

My two kids where 4 when they started.

I still don't get it or know how to play the damn thing. Lol

And I see the Switch version is out. Thought it was yet to be released, but it's just this update that's yet to come. You can tell I do not follow Minecraft. I'll check out reviews, and rephrase my question:

Your impressions of the Switch version, GAF?

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Can't wait for the Switch version to get the update. Do we know when this will be the case?

No date has been set, but they've said it will be for this winter. Most likely a few months or sooner from now.

Can't wait to go home and keep working on my mountain shelter in the gaf realm. Still have a kit of work to do. Great seeing haffers running around doing their thing. Never tried the game in mobile. I wonder if I'd like it.

Yeah I'm surprised that MS aren't offering larger servers, seems like a money maker to me. Unless there are performance reasons?

It's in the post where it's says to quote it. Unless it's nit working for you. I didn't make the realm btw.

I quoted it but I'm guessing the op didn't see it yet. No biggie, I can wait.

We're actually having issues with the cross play in my household. Seems our Android tablet can't connect to our Windows 10/Xbox players but they seem to have no issues when connecting with each other.

Edit: I'm hoping we can add servers soon, 3 ain't big enough.

Sciz

I quoted it but I'm guessing the op didn't see it yet. No biggie, I can wait.

We're actually having issues with the cross play in my household. Seems our Android tablet can't connect to our Windows 10/Xbox players but they seem to have no issues when connecting with each other.

Edit: I'm hoping we can add servers soon, 3 ain't big enough.

mate

when people say to quote stuff, it's because there's content hidden in an email tag to keep it from being visible to the general public

look carefully at the actual text you are quoting in the reply box

Mengy

We have acces to 3 huge servers right now but it's all minigames.

Yeah, I'd love to just see a Survival Server where players can spread out for as far as they can and build anywhere. That would be super sweet!

Fuchsdh

Yeah, I'd love to just see a Survival Server where players can spread out for as far as they can and build anywhere. That would be super sweet!

My guess is the big servers/communities will get in on the action, since MS has a process to become a partner server.

BizzyBum

Is it a safe bet to assume once this gets patched for Switch is when the physical edition will come out for it, too?

I've ran into a few issues that I hope they can sort.

The first is an issue with the mash-up packs, specifically the Halloween and Festive packs. In the original Xbox One version, the packs had unique skies that changed the atmosphere of the world. It was a really cool touch, but now they both just use the default sky. It really sticks out when using the Halloween pack, which would previously give a real "spooky" feel to your world.

The other issue is that I'm not really fond of the UI. I get that the idea is to unify all the Better Together versions, but it just feels like I'm playing a phone version on my console.

Edit: Actually, it seems like the Festive pack is fine. It's just the Halloween pack that's missing the sky, so hopefully it's just a glitch that will be fixed.

patientx

I entered the GAF realm. My nick there is patientxTR. This is my 1st time playing on a server but I've been playing since alpha times. I'd like to know do's and don't s here.

*Can I build my dwelling anywhere on the map ? -of course I won't go too far from the populated areas.-
*Can I mine and collect without worry ? :)
*Do I have to participate anything like collective mining etc. ?

If I bought a disc copy of Minecraft now, would I still be able to 'earn' an upgrade to the Better Together version?

Yep, you have until late January for that.

Q: How long will the Better Together Update be available as a free download to players who own the console version of the game?

A: Owners of the disc version of Minecraft: Xbox One Edition will have until January 30th 2018 to have played Minecraft for five or more hours in the past 12 months OR purchased a DLC Pack. There is no cutoff for digital Minecraft: Xbox One Edition owners.

Fuchsdh

I entered the GAF realm. My nick there is patientxTR. This is my 1st time playing on a server but I've been playing since alpha times. I'd like to know do's and don't s here.

*Can I build my dwelling anywhere on the map ? -of course I won't go too far from the populated areas.-
*Can I mine and collect without worry ? :)
*Do I have to participate anything like collective mining etc. ?

Build wherever as long as it's not claimed, mine wherever as long as you aren't running into someone else's underground build, and if you want to be a crazy hermit off on the fringes of civilization, no one's stopping you :)

shiyrley

Banned
Such a shame the old version won't be released physically for Switch. It would be cool to have a physical cartridge that grants you access to a legacy version, while at the same time having the new version digitally for confort. Welp.

Will still buy physical.

gamz

Had my kids this weekend and this was a huge hit.

They just said they love it and how theybcan set permissions? No idea what they are talking about, but they are having a blast with it.

Thanks MS.

GulAtiCa

I joined the Server. You will occasionally see me on. As "Bloodix". Joined the Discord group too. Really excited to actually be able to play with others for once.

Mengy

So far I've found two problems with the Better Together version of Minecraft, W10 Edition:

1. I can't make a shield? It doesn't appear to be in the crafting menu at all and I can't make it manually using the recipe either? Very odd.

2. The water flowing animation is still broken like it has been for many versions in the W10 Edition. Not a game breaking bug but it bothers me greatly.

But man, it runs sooooo much better than the Java Edition.

So i got sent a code from mojang for already owning the game for the windows 10 version
Game never got redeemed when i clicked redeem
Now the code doesn't work
What the fuck
Edit: or not? Whatever, as long as it works

Top Bottom