• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Odyssey is great, but Switch needs 3D World

mindsale

I am loving my time with Odyssey, but I think Switch would be equally well-served with an enhanced 3D World port.

It's already got multiplayer on the machine, and portability, so the more linear "Obstacle Course" nature (a la Galaxy, 3D Land) and simplified, octagonal run paths would work to its benefit, not be a source of criticism.

An additional character or two (Bowser Jr., Nabbit) would be welcome, and perhaps a few secret levels to sweeten the pot.

Hell, they could add Captain Toad to the package which inside the Switch would look like a lush diarama. Or New Super Mario Bros U, which would also work great portably as a shorter, 2D Mario. Given the slightly extra horsepower of the Switch, either or both or those games may hit 1080p as well.

Would you want a return to the colorful, jazzy multiplayer of 3D World, which represented a high point in Mario's obstacle course design? Did you miss it on the Wii U the first time around? Do you prefer its multiplayer focus to the open-course, sprawling joy of Odyssey?

Renna Hazel

I wouldn't mind a sequel to 3D World, but I wouldn't care about a port. I already have the game on Wii U. I like all the 3D Mario games so I'd get sequels to any style.

Pepboy

I wouldn't mind a sequel to 3D World, but I wouldn't care about a port. I already have the game on Wii U. I like all the 3D Mario games so I'd get sequels to any style.

Same. Have already beaten it, but would love a sequel if they were able to achieve the same level of quality.

Shifty

Single-player exploratory Mario has always been king to me, but I'd be down for more of the obstacle course style so long as we don't end up with another 15 year hiatus from from big open playgrounds.

I didn't play 3D World, but had a lot of fun with 3D Land. A double-pack port would be superb.

I loved 64 and sunshine, galaxy games was great but I was not a fan of the small worlds

I have not played 3d world or odessey but from my impression 3d world looks amazing, better than odessey

This post doesent make much sense but thats it

mindsale

I loved 64 and sunshine, galaxy games was great but I was not a fan of the small worlds

I have not played 3d world or odessey but from my impression 3d world looks amazing, better than odessey

This post doesent make much sense but thats it

Sure it does. 3D World has to render only so much because the areas are more linear. Odyssey has to render immense lands. I don't remember if 3D World was 1080p but the hardware isn't that different.

mindsale

Single-player exploratory Mario has always been king to me, but I'd be down for more of the obstacle course style so long as we don't end up with another 15 year hiatus from from big open playgrounds.

I didn't play 3D World, but had a lot of fun with 3D Land. A double-pack port would be superb.

I replayed Land after World and it was stiflingly claustrophobic - just really narrow in field of vision and landscapes. I'd rather have Captain Toad or New Super Mario Bros U as a pack-in.

How in the world there is somebody that thinks that a damn port would "equally" serve to a console than a full new game? Jesus christ.

Poona

I'd just play it on Wii U if I want to play it. It's not like it can get dramatically better graphics by appearing on the Switch.

Now Super Mario Sunshine that's a title I'd like to see get a HD version for Switch.

Malcolm9

I think it's a no brainer for Nintendo to release games like 3D World, DK: TF, Captain Toad etc on the Switch.

When I sold my Wii U I was confident that Nintendo would do this if the Switch was successful, which it is.

Kid Ying

I thought everyone moved on from the best 3d Mario.

Man, 3d World was so good. I really wish more people get to play it someday. The multiplayer is so chaotic and fun that i've never understood people classifying it as a lesse mario game. It's a genius game in my opinion. I Love It.

mindsale

I think it's a no brainer for Nintendo to release games like 3D World, DK: TF, Captain Toad etc on the Switch.

When I sold my Wii U I was confident that Nintendo would do this if the Switch was successful, which it is.

Yeah, I sold mine last December and recouped almost all of what I'd paid for my launch U. Which wasn't bad - a four-year rental that cost me $50 that's fated to have its internal battery die and be irreplaceable anyway.

I was confident there'd be a port frenzy or at least digital re-releases of Smash, Tropical Freeze, Wind Waker HD, Persona, Pikmin, NSMBU, Captain Toad, Mario Maker, and all the others.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I am loving my time with Odyssey, but I think Switch would be equally well-served with an enhanced 3D World port.

It's already got multiplayer on the machine, and portability, so the more linear "Obstacle Course" nature (a la Galaxy, 3D Land) and simplified, octagonal run paths would work to its benefit, not be a source of criticism.

An additional character or two (Bowser Jr., Nabbit) would be welcome, and perhaps a few secret levels to sweeten the pot.

Hell, they could add Captain Toad to the package which inside the Switch would look like a lush diarama. Or New Super Mario Bros U, which would also work great portably as a shorter, 2D Mario. Given the slightly extra horsepower of the Switch, either or both or those games may hit 1080p as well.

Would you want a return to the colorful, jazzy multiplayer of 3D World, which represented a high point in Mario's obstacle course design? Did you miss it on the Wii U the first time around? Do you prefer its multiplayer focus to the open-course, sprawling joy of Odyssey?

If they did port the game at a cheap cost great... the Wii U ports seem to sell and in some cases double dipping may even make sense due to the added portability, but if I was asked to choose I would ask for a DLC pack for Odyssey or a quick sequel like SMG2.

Super Mario Odyssey is a return to form for this line of 3D Mario and a playstile that needs to have time and iterations to perfect itself more and more.
I was not expecting to enjoy Odyssey this much and I was pretty hyped for it.

I would love for this to happen.

Assanova

Yep. My wife is having trouble with the camera on Odysee. A port of one of the simpler style Mario’s would be great.

They should do a new Mario All Stars.

Sunshine
Galaxy 1 + 2
3D World

Nothing crazy just give them all a rez bump and a few tweaks here and there. Now that would be a package!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I thought everyone moved on from the best 3d Mario.

Man, 3d World was so good. I really wish more people get to play it someday. The multiplayer is so chaotic and fun that i've never understood people classifying it as a lesse mario game. It's a genius game in my opinion. I Love It.

I do not play Mario games for Multiplayer and I liked the timer-less, fully 360 analog controls, acrobatics, and more open ended nature of SM64, Sunshine (not as good of its predecessor), and to some extent SMG (great game and amazing mix of Mario play styles).

I like 3D Land and 3D World a lot, but Odissey is just better for me, simple as that :).

zigg

I sincerely hope we haven't reached the end of the more linear 3D Mario... lineage.

odysseylineagee4s9i.jpg

I've only been able to put a little bit of time into Odyssey, and I'm impressed at how well they've smoothed over the design problems that made 64 and Sunshine such a chore to play, but an M.O. of Mario running around huge expanses spinning the camera to look for collectibles just doesn't do it for me. Gimme tight level design.

Paracelsus

Galaxy port is good if it completely removes the waggle, that's what makes either (1-2) not stand up the test of time. Galaxy and SS need to be fixed and up-ported.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I sincerely hope we haven't reached the end of the more linear 3D Mario… lineage.

odysseylineagee4s9i.jpg

I've only been able to put a little bit of time into Odyssey, and I'm impressed at how well they've smoothed over the design problems that made 64 and Sunshine such a chore to play, but an M.O. of Mario running around huge expanses spinning the camera to look for collectibles just doesn't do it for me. Gimme tight level design.

Sure, but while I do like those more linear Mario games too, the more open and free 3D Mario line is quite underserved compared to the kind of Mario Games you ask for... 6 years between SM64 and Sunshine and even longer before Odyssey...

Nottle

Honestly I feel like most of the unique games from the wii and wii u need ports to the switch.

All the Zelda, all the Mario, star fox. W101. Bayo. Mario Maker

I love 3D World, love Cat Mario and love having multiple playable characters.

Playing co-op with my Princess Peach loving wife is one of my most fav gaming memories.

Gimme a sequel please, or at least the new 2D Mario have multiplayer/multiple playable (DIFFERENT) characters.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I am not against people wanting more wii u ports on the switch.

But mario 3d world was the most boring cookie cutter mario game yet.
Never understood the hype at all.
Played mario 3d land on the 3ds.Still dont get why world 3d was a thing.

Never felt as good as galaxy or mario 64.
Mario odyssey is so much better.

DKPOWPOW

I'd be more interested in a Mario Strikers 3...

3D World was great, and a cheap port with added online play would be nice... But I wouldn't pay $60 for it unless it included a slew of new levels or NSMBU+Luigi.

I'd rather them work on Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 HD or a sequel to 3D World because I still have my Wii U sitting right next to the Switch dock.

Odyssey just came out and it's quite fun, plus we got Mario Kart 8 and Mario + Rabbids all in less than a year. We got a good amount of Mario action right away, to be honest I think they should be focusing on the holes in their lineup.

I'd like to see Nintendo branch out again like in their GC/Wii days. Switch could really use a great exclusive FPS, Wii Sports 2, Excite!!, a solid horror game like Eternal Darkness. Here's hoping 2018 has some nice surprises.

Kid Ying

Sounds like someone has no friends, both games are stellar if played as designed.
Yeah. I've played the entire game with 3 other friends and It was one of the best gaming experiences i've ever had.

Unfortunately, i can't say much about single player. :(

Peterc

I'll expect a mario galaxy 3 next 3d mario because miyamoto mentioned he was thinking about it. 2d mario, i would appreciate a new approach like they did with oddesey. Something fresh.

Metalmarc

Waiting on Super Mario Maker myself is there is a way they can do it

Maybe handheld mode to create levels and play them, then TV screen is play only

Also I'd rather a 3D adventure starring Waluigi as the playable main character thats long over due

I expect a slow trickle down of Wii U titles throughout the years, and maybe even some 3DS ones too. God knows if they touched up Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask 3D they'd sell gangbusters; I'm really holding out for those two.

NeonZ

Sure, but while I do like those more linear Mario games too, the more open and free 3D Mario line is quite underserved compared to the kind of Mario Games you ask for... 6 years between SM64 and Sunshine and even longer before Odyssey...

To be fair, that classification is kind of odd due to placing Galaxy 1 squarely in the course clear camp when it still had several 64-style open levels and objectives (sequence break wasn't possible, but Sunshine already was like that) alongside the course based ones.

120v

3D Land/World is the best realization of 3D Mario IMO but i can understand why they saw fit to do another sandbox-y "epic" game first

i'm not too worried that a port/and or sequel won't be coming to switch soon

zigg

Sure. I don't mean to say Odyssey shouldn't have been made, and I'm happy that it's making so many people happy.

Hell, my kids are adoring it right now; I think that's a win. �� It's just not really working for me personally on the transcendent level that Galaxy through 3D World did.

I want to reiterate, too, that I'm super happy with how they smoothed over a lot of the pain points I feel every time I try to fire up 64 or Sunshine. Letting me grab a moon and continue on my way from that very point in the level is an amazing quality-of-life improvement.

Top Bottom