• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac 3DS REJECTED [Up: Now looking into Sony Platforms]

Greymanic

Neo Member
Curious, has this game ever been scrutinized by any religious organization or something similar? I can easily understand why Nintendo wouldn't want it but I just think its a little odd when nobody complained about it on Steam.

This isn't surprising news. Still funny to read all the people shitting on Nintendo for not allowing it and acting like the other publishers are sanctuaries for freedom of speech do whatever you want content or something lol.

The game wont appear on any of them that require it to have a rating.

I can only assume you don't use any of the competing services. I really don't feel that Nintendo can afford to turn down 3rd party DD titles at the moment.

Only steam but looking at the list of 3DSware games out of the 11 I own 7 and love them all. I agree it could use more but saying there isn't quality games is wrong imo.

reminder

Does that mean it comes to 360 and not PS3 (and probably Vita) because of MS?

screenshot_2012-02-290vks5.png

Sinoox

Banned
So every company without Binding of Isaac doesn't care about gamers. That's a narrow list and should put things in perspective for some people then, probably including you (ie, nobody cares about you, whether you do or not, except maybe Valve :p).

No, you're not understanding my comment at all. Sony, Microsoft and Valve aren't the ones with piss poor 3rd party support. If one of those three are going to deny something it sucks, sure, but it doesn't nearly have the same kind of impact as it does with Nintendo which expects its consumers to live off limited 1st party. Basically, Nintendo isn't in a position where they can be so uppity about such things, at least that is if they want to be competitive in the core market. The 3DS is a new console to begin with, it won't be as profitable as other systems. Nintendo should be getting on their hands and knees to beg talented developers to put good games on their devices.

With not too many games on the shop to begin with, it'd definitely have some prominence. If it achieved high sales Nintendo might even be compelled to feature it on the main shop screen. Yet their device is aimed squarely at a younger population, and I think there is some justification in not wanting children to see a cutesy main character, buying the game, and having a bunch of feces and vaginas thrown at them.

Other dark games like RE: Revelations or Spirit Camera are immediately obvious in what they're about. Isaac has a friendlier veneer and even darker content, it's almost like a bait and switch unless you do some research ahead of time...but digital shops are designed to encourage faster purchase decisions. I didn't even know about the crazy stuff in Binding of Isaac until I read the thread, and I'm kind of glad I didn't bother picking it up now. Heck I might've bought it for my little sister during a Steam sale by accident.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
No, you're not understanding my comment at all. Sony, Microsoft and Valve aren't the ones with piss poor 3rd party support.
I don't think Nintendo's handhelds have a history of bad third party support either but eh, whatever, opinions and all that.

Edit: oh, hey, I see now in good old goal post moving tradition we're suddenly talking about the Wii U. For some reason. Good one.

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
-Nintendo is free to say what they do or don't want on their systems.
-The game is not some turning point for the medium.
-It exists elsewhere.

No, you're not understanding my comment at all. Sony, Microsoft and Valve aren't the ones with piss poor 3rd party support. If one of those three are going to deny something it sucks, sure, but it doesn't nearly have the same kind of impact as it does with Nintendo which expects its consumers to live off of its limited amount of 1st party. Basically, Nintendo isn't in a position where they can be so uppity about such things, at least that is if they want to be competitive in the core market.

That was funny and all, but someone might think you were serious.

Curious, has this game ever been scrutinized by any religious organization or something similar? I can easily understand why Nintendo wouldn't want it but I just think its a little odd when nobody complained about it on Steam.

game would become a lot more popular if it were released on the 3DSshop, thus stirring more debate and in short more trouble fro Nintendo

Sinoox

Banned
That was funny and all, but someone might think you were serious.

What? About Nintendo having shitty 3rd party support? Why do you think they're bringing out the Wiiu so early? So developers can port over games that are on the PS3, 360 and PC. That was basically one of their key points at E3 last year, you can finally play all the games you want on their console.

Greymanic

Neo Member
game would become a lot more popular if it were released on the 3DSshop, thus stirring more debate and in short more trouble fro Nintendo

Oh I know, I'm just curious had any trouble happened already that I hadn't heard about or is it more the potential trouble it might cause etc

What? About Nintendo having shitty 3rd party support? Why do you think they're bringing out the Wiiu so early? So developers can port over games that are on the PS3, 360 and PC.

Oh, sorry, I thought you were talking about handhelds, specifically the 3DS. Where third party support is perfectly fine.

He's totally correct and I have no idea how you intend to mount an argument against him.

Oh yeah, you don't.

He's correct about home consoles. That's it.

tborsje

Thanks for telling me what does and doesn't offend me Nintendo!

BRB, gonna kill some poor Russian conscripts by repeatedly shooting them in the face in MGS3. You know - non-questionable content.

EDIT: Well aware they've said no to iOS by the way... dunno, seems like free money to me :S

Apple is pretty bad for this too - South Park's official app was refused to the App Store due to it's 'offensive content'.

gogogow

What? About Nintendo having shitty 3rd party support? Why do you think they're bringing out the Wiiu so early? So developers can port over games that are on the PS3, 360 and PC. That was basically one of their key points at E3 last year, you can finally play all the games you want on their console.

6 years is early? 4 years is -> Xbox 360

Army Corps of Hell doesn't have an ESRB rating?

ACoH isn't likely to draw accusations of blasphemy and it doesn't depict threats of infanticide, commanded by God... Can you imagine the kind of negative PR pro life twats in America would kick up when they realised kid-friendly Nintendo was allowing such content?

It's not like the 90s censorship people have referenced at all. This is a deliberately provocative title, in the same way that titles like the original Postal were provocative.

I still would have liked them to allow it, and fall back on the parental controls as a defence, but I am not at all surprised and don't particularly blame Nintendo. I blame the stupid people they're worried about offending.

The Binding of Isaac is a perverted, messed-up game, and it's probably better for 3DS owners' collective sanity that they don't get to play it. Ugh.

massoluk

Banned
I do think if this game got release on 3DS, a lot of complaint will be made by parents that Nintendo is doing a bait-and-switch. You know what you're getting zombies and blood with Resident Evil, guns in CoD. The presentation like Isaac is another matter. Nintendo do treasure their "Hey my handheld is safe for your kids" relationship with the parents.

This is certainly Nintendo of America decision. If is, no surprise at all. They were, still and always will be the same stupid jackasses they always were.

Syril

I still would have liked them to allow it, and fall back on the parental controls as a defence, but I am not at all surprised and don't particularly blame Nintendo. I blame the stupid people they're worried about offending.

I blame Nintendo for letting stupid people they're worried about offending decide what free-thinking individuals should be allowed to play.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Honestly, I would be extremely surprised if Sony or Microsoft allowed Team Meat to publish Isaac for their hardware. You people must not be familiar with the game's content (as good as the game is).

I blame Nintendo for letting stupid people they're worried about offending decide what free-thinking individuals should be allowed to play.

This is every single corporation.

Sony recalled thousands of LBP discs after they were in stores because people thought there were Islamic chants on it.

Erethian

ACoH isn't likely to draw accusations of blasphemy and it doesn't depict threats of infanticide, commanded by God... Can you imagine the kind of negative PR pro life twats in America would kick up when they realised kid-friendly Nintendo was allowing such content?

It's not like the 90s censorship people have referenced at all. This is a deliberately provocative title, in the same way that titles like the original Postal were provocative.

Oh, I'm well aware that people will take this decision to fit into their preconceptions of Nintendo's relations with third parties or whatever other narrative they want to perpetuate.

I was more getting to the point that Army Corps of Hell is a titled rated by the ESRB, whereas Binding of Isaac isn't. And probably isn't ever likely to be, thus preventing it from appearing on any console or handheld digital download service. Except for the Xbox Live indie section, I guess, though I don't know the ins and outs of the content control for that.

tborsje

I do think if this game got release on 3DS, a lot of complaint will be made by parents that Nintendo is doing a bait-and-switch. You know what you're getting zombies and blood with Resident Evil, guns in CoD. The presentation like Isaac is another matter. Nintendo do treasure their "Hey my handheld is safe for your kids" relationship with the parents.

Well (at least on the Australian e-shop) you also know what you're getting as you see the parental rating for the game before you can buy it. There's a whole screen dedicated to it, and you are prompted to read it and press OK. Isn't the point of rating that parents don't have to guess if a game has appropriate content in it or not?

stupei

Honestly, I would be extremely surprised if Sony or Microsoft allowed Team Meat to publish Isaac for their hardware. You people must not be familiar with the game's content (as good as the game is).

Can't let the facts get in the way of accusing Nintendo of being too kiddie and out of touch with the desires of REAL gamers.

Well (at least on the Australian e-shop) you also know what you're getting as you see the parental rating for the game before you can buy it. There's a whole screen dedicated to it, and you are prompted to read it and press OK. Isn't the point of rating that parents don't have to guess if a game has appropriate content in it or not?

The problem is that this particular game likely wouldn't scoot by with an M rating in NA.
And all three console makers have a strict policy about not allowing AO games on their system.

90s as well. Earthbound and OOT had some of it's content censored.

It's bad for Nintendo to carry on such policies even now at a moment they're trying to get a better appeal for 3rd parties.

Nintendo censoring their own games two decades ago is now bad for third parties....
Gotcha.

The Binding of Isaac is a perverted, messed-up game, and it's probably better for 3DS owners' collective sanity that they don't get to play it. Ugh.

Their "sanity?" It's not that perverted or messed-up. It's filled with dark themes and low-brow toilet humor, but how is it going to threaten anyone's sanity?

And aside from the game's provocative elements, it's a fantastic game. I hope more people get to play it.

A naked kid using his own tears, blood, urine, and excrement to fight demons, his bible-thumping abusive mom, and giant vaginas. One of his power ups is to hang himself with a noose, another one is to have a coat hanger through his head. Not to mention other dead, rotting kids littering the levels.

What? This game sounds terrible, I don't even want to play that.

I understand being disappointed that Nintendo won't allow this game on their system.

I don't understand those who apparently believe Sony or Microsoft would.

Top Bottom