• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3 days in San Francisco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fisherman's Wharf is a good way to spend an afternoon or evening. Eat at In n Out if you're not on the west coast and don't get it where you live.

This. Locals will talk smack about it because its for tourists, but there's actually good stuff there.

Also GG park is a good suggestion. Don't go to Dolores park, its just a bunch of people laying out on the grass.

Go to Oakland

New SFMOMA

LandsEnd

Haight Ashbury grab lunch, walk to Golden Gate Park for picnic, then check out the stuff there ...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Probably not the Tenderloin. I'd recommend taking public transit everywhere you can, but use Lyft or Uber instead of cabs.

The Tenderloin is the easiest not to recommend. It is a legitimately bad neighborhood.

Bart, Muni and Uber are the best ways around the city. It is a small city so it isn't real hard to get around.

I feel like most of the hotels are in pretty shit areas, except maybe some of them near FiDi. I'd recommend getting an AirBnB not downtown.

Are the hotels right near Union Square considered a part of the Tenderloin?

The Wharf is fine during the week. Went in the morning and there was almost no one there. Got a couple trinkets for my kids.

There's a nice hotel in North Beach, San Remo. Turn of the century stuff, nice. No AC, but in SF you hardly need it. Just open the window.

Kordelle

I'll be in SF next April for 3 days.
Can you guys recommend me a cheap Hostel/Hotel?
San Remo looks cool, but is there something cheaper than that that is not bad?
Most of the cheap places seem to be in Union Square and I think you guys recommended not to go there (because of the homeless people I think).
I won't need much comfort, most important is location and an alright bed.

Most of the cheap places seem to be in Union Square and I think you guys recommended not to go there (because of the homeless people I think).
I went in July and we stayed at The Opal. It's right on the edge of the bad area but the location is pretty convenient. Right in on van Ness if you're going to take the bus anywhere,including the wharf. Walkable to lots of other places, near a cable car endpoint if you want to do that. We booked late so it was the best price we could get for somewhere with decent reviews. It's old and very basic but they do give you breakfast each morning as well, doesn't hurt to save a bit on that.

MC Safety

Are the hotels right near Union Square considered a part of the Tenderloin?

I was going to say The Clift is awesome. It kind of straddles the border between the theater district and Tenderloin.

The Clift has the huge chair, too.

Anyway, the borders between neighborhoods in San Francisco are pretty fluid and always kind of nebulous. Generally, Union Square is a good area. (The Sir Francis Drake hotel is a good place to stay in Union Square.)

Cudder

I stayed at the Sweden House Hotel for a few days when I went. Pretty sure it's in a not so good area, but alas, it was cheap.

Bamboo

I stayed at the Amsterdam Hostel (763 Taylor St) for a few nights. It was pretty much what you'd expect at that price and pretty central. I was lucky with the other people in my room. If you're travelling alone and are looking to get in touch with other travellers it's very easy to do. Open kitchen and eating area, so you easily get to talk to people. Made a few day trips with other travellers that I met at the hostel. It was supposedly on the edge of a bad area, but I had no problems whatsoever (didn't push my luck of course), neither did any of the people that I met there.

digdug2k

You should definitely go to Java Beach Cafe in the evening.

The cafe is basically on the beach. I used to go there to grab a sandwich, watch the sunset and chill on the beach.

Yeah, it gets cold at night sometimes.

My dad used to tell me about how he has burned out so many clutches on the cars he was learning manual on.

Anyways, understand that San Francisco is a puny part of the Bay Area. If you want a nature retreat, as some have said, you should go across the bridge towards Marin county and go to Muir Woods. You get to see the massive redwood trees that have been there for more years and I can count out loud. I did a hike up to the top of Muir Woods it was probably one of the more memorable things I've done in California. The drive there is also very awesome.

The sunset is amazing from there as well.
Mount Tamp is pretty beautiful as well. A walk down Valencia street on a random night is fun. Grab some IceCream at Bi-rite or Humphry Slocombe.

If you're looking for cheap, you don't really have to "worry" about the homeless. They're mostly harmless as far as I ever saw. It just sometimes stinks and makes you uncomfortable, which sucks if you're on vacation. Not that bad interactions NEVER happen. People get robbed sometimes. Be safe. Don't be dumb.

Golden Gate Park has a lot of cool things to do. The Exploratorium adult night is pretty rad. Grab some takeout from Hot Sauce & Panko. Bars bars bars. Golden Gate is overrated. Get a zip car and drive across the Bay Bridge and check out Oakland. The Bay Bridge is really nice now.

Oakland and Berkley. If you like Mac 'n Cheese Homeroom is really good. Their homemade oreos are great. East End in Alameda has my favorite pizza.

p.s. the wharf is a cess pool.

p.p.s. check out the Marina district if you want to see white people in their element.

game-boi

Rad Things:
De Young Museum
SFMOMA (just reopened)
Golden Gate Park
Land's End
Palace of Fine Arts
Shopping in the Mission
Drinks in the Castro (even if you're straight)
Coit Tower
SF Zoo
The view from Christmas Tree Point

Avoid the following things:
Union Square
Fisherman's Wharf
The Marina
Anything near the ballpark
Tenderloin (seriously, just don't)

If you're looking for cheap, you don't really have to "worry" about the homeless. They're mostly harmless as far as I ever saw. It just sometimes stinks and makes you uncomfortable, which sucks if you're on vacation. Not that bad interactions NEVER happen. People get robbed sometimes. Be safe. Don't be dumb.

What SF do you live in? Our homeless are next level crazy. I see tourists getting verbally/physically attacked all of the time. Especially downtown and in the mission. It's best to ignore them and just keep walking.

Tenderloin (seriously, just don't)

Tenderloin is great imo. Lots of good food and bars. Mostly just tons of junkies in the area that keep to themselves. I've had way more issues with the aggressive homeless in the mission etc. If I was female I wouldn't walk around alone after dark, but it's not bad. Tenderloin gets a bad rep when tons of the more popular neighbors are more dangerous.

oktarb

Ramen underground on Kearney.
Mission for a burrito
Chef Jia's for Chinese
Crab - fisherman's wharf but go to the stalls not a restaurant.
Stinking rose if you like garlic. Great sauces even if you don't eat there.
Haight Street has great breakfast
Red's Java House for a burger and a view

Kordelle

Thx for the Hotel recommendations, the Amsterdam looks good, will check the prices for my stay.

I read there is a Goat-festival there in April, anyone been there last time? 😄

dc3k

Tenderloin is great imo. Lots of good food and bars. Mostly just tons of junkies in the area that keep to themselves. I've had way more issues with the aggressive homeless in the mission etc. If I was female I wouldn't walk around alone after dark, but it's not bad. Tenderloin gets a bad rep when tons of the more popular neighbors are more dangerous.

Seconding this. I live on the border of the TL (near Leavenworth and Post) and walk through it daily, go to bars in it every weekend, and order/pickup food almost daily. It's a great place for food and booze. I walked to Union Square from Civic Center the other night, and felt a lot more sketched out on the stretch of Market between Hyde and the Turk/Mason intersection than anywhere north in TL proper.

Speaking of Union Square, fuck that place. Tourists walking 5 across at a snail's pace and suddenly stopping to look at their phones. Also, add Pier 39 to the avoid list. Beer 39 is interesting (I like to try and find the Canadian bills on the wall) but other than that it's a tourist money vacuum.

ElyrionX

I know it's too late since you already have tickets but Alcatraz is a huge waste of time.

I would highly recommend the 49 mile drive.

llehuty

I'll be spending a week alone there in April. Any alone-friendly plans? I come from Europe so "North American stuff to do" non exclusive to San Francisco also works.

butzopower

proud of his butz
Few of us mentioned it months ago in this thread, but here's pictures of Hot Sauce and Panko just in case we weren't clear:

image.jpeg

image9.jpg

image16.jpg

Bamboo

Going to visit on Monday for a couple of hours

What do I do

Walk around, Golden Gate park and bridge. Fisherman's Wharf, eat some seafood, go to the great Musée Méchanique if you like videogames and their mechanical arcade history. Good thing that you don't pay an entry fee, only quarters for the machines (which is good if you only have limited time and/or patience). http://museemecaniquesf.com/

edit: Maybe ocean beach. It's a nice walk. Especially if you haven't seen the ocean in a while.

No local btw, I visited for a week a year back and that's what I'd do if I only had a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom