• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Off-screen footage of DOOM running on the Switch handheld

Oregano

Revisionist history seems to be a sport on GAF.

Sony stopped releasing Vita games when the PS4 came out and become a runaway success while Vita continued to show next to no signs of life, and rightfully so. Nintendo has similarly dropped Wii U like a rock, to the point of even discontinuing production now that the Switch is out.

Vita released 2011, PS4 released 2013. Wii U released 2012 and Switch 2017.

Those are two completely different timescales.

Vita is effectively discontinued in most of the world too.

Is it me or does the handheld off-screen footage from Gamespot look a lot sharper than the Direct trailer for the game did? Or maybe it's the smaller screen, but even then, you would expect that the docked trailer footage should be higher res to offset it, I would think. Am I just looking at it wrong or do you folks see this as well?

Two factors to consider in that is:
A) The Direct stream was compressed, and certainly, I'd say that the footage in question probably wasn't as raw as it could get. So even if it was docked footage - which isn't even necessarily the case - it's murkier than the actual result in gameplay would be
B) Pixel density. Most of us I imagine watch the stream and its footage on a 1080p screen. So if the stream footage was 720p or lower, it's much farther from the native resolution, and so looks worse. On a 720p screen however, and a 6 inch one at that, that gap is reduced.

Wow. If anyone had told me I’d be buying Doom again I would have certainly thought they were wrong. Well, i’m in (again). Can’t wait to play this on the Switch.

Vita released 2011, PS4 released 2013. Wii U released 2012 and Switch 2017.

Those are two completely different timescales.

Vita is effectively discontinued in most of the world too.

It is, no doubt. But the Vita had solid first party offerings up until late 2013/early 2014 when the PS4 launched and ended up being an immediate runaway success. Nothing Sony could have released would have changed the Vita's fortunes at that point and so focusing on their actual successful system made far more sense. Ultimately, I just think it's disingenuous to say they ignored it, even though I do agree they did an overall poor job of selling the product and securing the right 3rd party content for it.

Oregano

It is, no doubt. But the Vita had solid first party offerings up until late 2013/early 2014 when the PS4 launched and ended up being an immediate runaway success. Nothing Sony could have released would have changed the Vita's fortunes at that point and so focusing on their actual successful system made far more sense. Ultimately, I just think it's disingenuous to say they ignored it, even though I do agree they did an overall poor job of selling the product and securing the right 3rd party content for it.

I actually think they did a stellar job with third parties. Vita still has support going into 2018, and it's had a lot more releases than the 3DS for then last few years even if the biggest 3DS releases dwarfed Vita's.

Mainly I can't fathom the idea that someone could say Sony stuck with Vita and that Nintendo abandoned Wii U with a straight face.

Looks pretty great, might double dip.

Man that intro and title reveal is so damn badass. Gets me so pumped up every single time.

18-Volt

So, we can safely say this takes the crown off from Killzone Mercernary as the best FPS on a portable system, right?

No gyro aiming is kind of a deal breaker for me :/

I'm on the same boat. I understand the downgrade to 30fps but no gyro feels like an incredibly dumb overlook.

How are the controls on ps/Xbox? Are there any unused pad buttons? Given this game has no aim down sight we're going to need a reset button for gyro to work. Maybe that's where the problem lies.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
So, we can safely say this takes the crown off from Killzone Mercernary as the best FPS on a portable system, right?

Killzone Mercenary was good, but I wouldn't rank it up there against a portable Doom. The Vita's sticks weren't that great either, so Switch will be the better playing game as well.

roknin

Well damn

From 3DS to this.

Wow.

Right? Would've never imagined.

Was talking about my cousin when we were playing NBA2K18 two days ago, we're both kids of the 80s and I just... never thought as a kid that we'd actually get to this from the old Game Boy lol.

Sorry, having an old man moment

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Finally got to watch the video tonight. Looks great, but did they cut back on the number of enemies? It didn't seem quite as hectic.

No gyro aiming is kind of a deal breaker for me :/

Same for me, honestly. I'd deal with 30 FPS if they included gyro aiming. I don't want to play shooters on the Switch with analog.

Gyro is simply a better control method. It's hard to go back after you've had it.

Finally got to watch the video tonight. Looks great, but did they cut back on the number of enemies? It didn't seem quite as hectic.

I compared a scene from the PS4 version and the Switch version on youtube. It looks similar. The PS4 clip I watched looks more hectic but the dude playing was worse than the dude playing in the Switch clip. I'm gonna count enemies just to be sure.

Edit: Yeah enemy count for the section I watched was the same between the 2 versions but it looked like the monsters that throw fire were more aggressive throwing it in the PS4 version. I dunno if that's a cut back or a difficulty thing though.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
now that im watching these previews on my tv instead of my phone, my mind tbh is actually kinda blown, like its straight up doom in portable form, sure its not the prettiest version arud but guys, this is the very definition of good enough in physical form, cause i mean goddamn, this thing is on a hadheld!

Pasedo

There's something magic about playing a full console fps on a true portable. If this starts all publishers porting their fps over I may no longer have a need for my gaming laptop.

What would you say is the last big Vita game developed by Sony? Personally, I would say Killzone Mercenary. That game released less than two years after the Vita first came out - December 2011, September 2013 - which means the last big Vita game developed by Sony was greenlit before the system even launched. They haven't greenlit anything important after the first indications the system was flopping. They gave up on it long before the PS4 came out.

Listen if it being 30fps is a dealbreaker... cool.

I don't get why either side would be angry at the other over something so damn trivial.

If it is? That sucks. But you've got a myriad of ways to play it with the utmost precision and speed. In fact if you're willing to invest you can even play it at double the framerate for even better fluidity!

If it isn't? Then you get a completely competent port in handheld form. Damn impressive for a handheld.

Nobody is wrong here. Some just won't quite get the experience of others, but that should be expected. Given what hardware differences you're talking about.

Personally, I look at this port and marvel at the scalability of modern engines.

Crayolan

So...no gyro? Was just assuming that'd be an obvious inclusion on Switch. That's more of a dealbreaker than 30 fps for me.

Cerium

The look of this port makes me really excited for Wolfenstein. I can't wait to see what they achieve with that one.

kotor22

Its jarring to come from the DF analysis thread seeing the comments there and then the comments here, either way the game looks amazing on the Switch

30fps and no gyro is something of a dealbreaker for me, sadly, since I already have the PC version, but man this version holds up really well regardless, it's very astonishing.

30fps and no gyro is something of a dealbreaker for me, sadly, since I already have the PC version, but man this version holds up really well regardless, it's very astonishing.

As a PC gamer and owner of Doom, I actually am very impressed they have this performance in such a small form factor, I would definitely be happy with this on the Switch, particularly as it can be taken with you anywhere

Top Bottom