• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: Summer Lesson is the scariest VR experience I’ve ever had

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
How is this anime? lol
How much you wanna bet that this character's mannerisms and acting direction are based off of anime tropes instead of the creators drawing from real life people? For instance, stop me if you've seen this exact thing before in anime:
DDZ8EHf.gif

muteki

Fucking Shaft head tilt lol.

On topic though, the first Summer Lesson was one of my first PSVR experiences and until you get used to the space just being there with "someone" else getting that close is a little unsettling, swords or not.

FSLink

Banned
Yeah some of the scariest things in VR at first are virtual people/things getting up in your business. Not surprised.

How much you wanna bet that this character's mannerisms and acting direction are based off of anime tropes instead of the creators drawing from real life people? For instance, stop me if you've seen this exact thing before in anime:
DDZ8EHf.gif
Never seen this in anime before.

It's missing the knife.

How much you wanna bet that this character's mannerisms and acting direction are based off of anime tropes instead of the creators drawing from real life people? For instance, stop me if you've seen this exact thing before in anime

Yeah, you would have to literally gouge your eyes out to not see that this is basically borrowing the anime aesthetic wholesale.

Yohane

Those are not anime specific, you get the same tropes in almost every Japanese piece of media. Movies / TV Series with real actor included.

People really need to stop calling anime everything from Japan.

Crossing Eden

Those are not anime specific, you get the same tropes in almost every Japanese piece of media. Movies / TV Series with real actor included.

People really need to stop calling anime everything from Japan.
In the context of video games. How often do games from Japan have influences from live action tv shows or films over anime? I mean....this is Bandai Namco Studios we're talking about here. The same one who's portfolio includes this:

Think it's quite clear where they get their influences....

Kaiterra

Banned
Horror is a big genre in VR, good to see such innovation in the genre, taking full advantage of the medium. Bravo, Bamco.

(This article seems goofy but as someone with social anxiety I can absolutely see where they're coming from.)

DDZ8EHf.gif

I get what you're saying but this isn't as ridiculous as this

339.gif

Crossing Eden

There's genuinely lots of money to be made from a VR game that is lowkey directly inspired by Hard Candy but advertised like Summer Lesson is.

Hexa

Crap there are even MORE deres???

*goes to Google.

Basically just sadistic. Wasn't even sure it was a thing until I googled it. lol
Yanderes don't neceesarily enjoy inflicting pain and such, they're just willing to do so to go along with their possessiveness.

Yarbskoo

DDZ8EHf.gif

That look people give you when you pass gas in an elevator.

KtSlime

I get what you're saying but this isn't as ridiculous as this

339.gif

That extreme head tilt is specifically a Shaft signature style, not anime in general. (People do tilt/turn their had in real life too)

Basically just sadistic. Wasn't even sure it was a thing until I googled it. lol
Yanderes don't neceesarily enjoy inflicting pain and such, they're just willing to do so to go along with their possessiveness.

I think it is just a term came up with by English speaking anime fans, I have never heard of that particular -dere. One commonly used word for sadistic is ドS (doesu) meaning something like "totally sadistic" http://www.weblio.jp/content/ドS

Top Bottom