• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GAF Wii Homebrew thread: Homebrew, emulators, USB disc installs! Easy tutorial!

markatisu

I think you need to use mplayer (I have not tried it extensively but I used one of the media players available from the Wii Homebrew Browser).

I was able to get my R4 Vehicle Voltron discs to load fine, been planning to test it some more later

CrisKre

I have a stupid question. go easy on me, im a noob lol.

so i just installed the homebrew channel. now to run apps i have created an app folder on my sd card. can i rename the different files that will be in that folder? all my apps are named boot.elf

is there a problem if i rename to, say, geckoos.elf and homebrewbrowser.elf?

markatisu

CrisKre said:
I have a stupid question. go easy on me, im a noob lol.

so i just installed the homebrew channel. now to run apps i have created an app folder on my sd card. can i rename the different files that will be in that folder? all my apps are named boot.elf

is there a problem if i rename to, say, geckoos.elf and homebrewbrowser.elf?

Each app should have its own folder inside the app folder, at least that's how its structured on my SD card

CTLance

CrisKre said:
schweet! thanks. i can call those folders any name i see fit right?
Yes. The HBC will look for a meta.xml file with descriptions and an icon file, but it will load programs even if they lack those.

But seriously, get the Homebrew Browser and save yourself some blood and tears.

Linkhero1

CrisKre said:
hahaha, im on it! thanks a million. what apps do u guys recommend the most?
I just started using HBC yesterday. If you want to make your Wii play any other games from any region use GeckoOS. :D

Other than that I really don't know what to recommend :p

markatisu

I recommend mplayer, it allows you to play dvds and avis/other media files. If you dont have a PS3 or other home theater device it brings some added functionality to the Wii

Another app I recommend greatly is ScummVM, being able to play Full Throttle and Day of the Tentacle using the Wiimote is just completely awesome

Guitarfun is neat, its a Guitar Hero clone (and does work with the GH3/Aerosmith guitars), it can play Fret on Fire songs which means your library can far surpass that of Rock Band or Guitar Hero and it has a very active fan community releasing real songs all the time (not imitations or covers)

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
I believe it MIGHT be possible to avoid having the Wii log your game usage if you start the Wii in the special maintenance mode... turn the system on and hold + and - until you reach the main menu... it deactivates the message board functions during that session, and it -might- deactivate game logs as well.

-Winnie-

After the announcement of No More Heroes 2, I realised that I still don't have No More Heroes... and my Wii hardly gets used at all. So I'm thinking of importing the US version (since I don't want the watered down version), and I hear that there's an application on the Homebrew Channel which can make your Wii region free.

Anybody with an Australian Wii been able to get US NMH to work with the Homebrew Channel? If you have, how would I go about doing it myself? Thanks in advance. :D

Xyphie

-Winnie- said:
Anybody with an Australian Wii been able to get US NMH to work with the Homebrew Channel? If you have, how would I go about doing it myself?

PAL Wii (I guess it's the same) here and NTSC NMH works just fine. Just install HBC and GeckoOS and you can run games region free. :)

Threi

notag
Recommended Stuffs eh?

*boots up HBC*
- HOMEBREW BROWSER
if you don't have it get it.

If you do:
- DMP player with this skin (clicky for screenshot)
- FTPii (not really it's slow as hell)
- GeckoOS
- Mplayer
- Quake
- Savegame Extractor/Installer
- SD Explorer
- Wad Manager
- Wii Whiteboard

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Oh my God, I've just installed the Homebrew Channel and I'm browsing a lot of stuff with the HB Browser.
I was blind, but now I see!

Threi

notag
Jocchan said:
Oh my God, I've just installed the Homebrew Channel and I'm browsing a lot of stuff with the HB Browser.
I was blind, but now I see!
jesus.jpg

Jesus approves of the Homebrew Browser.

Linkhero1

Just downloaded the Homebrew Browser after some of your recommendations and all I can say is WOW. I should have done this first thing after installing HBC.

TunaLover

Threi said:
Recommended Stuffs eh?

*boots up HBC*
- HOMEBREW BROWSER
if you don't have it get it.

If you do:
- DMP player with this skin (clicky for screenshot)
- FTPii (not really it's slow as hell)
- GeckoOS
- Mplayer
- Quake
- Savegame Extractor/Installer
- SD Explorer
- Wad Manager
- Wii Whiteboard
- ScummVM to play Sam and Max Hit the Road
- NEOpop for Neogeo pocket color, it run like a dream

Do not install:
- Wii64, still in early stage, the framerate is slow as hell, even if you disable the sound.
- MAME, only install to play old games, new more big sized games take about 30 mins to load.
- Wiiphisics, the program crash very often
- WiiDOOM the lack of brigthness adjusment is annoying, still a good game, but it fall short compared to WiiQuake.
- Gamecube save manager, ugh after 7 tries I corrupt my 59 blocks memory card, it seems like this program doesn't work with Nintendo's official ones.

I just got homebrew channel up and running but every time I try to load something it just hangs. Right now I'm triny g to load Wii Tetris and it just sits at the loading screen and the progress bar is at 0%... wtf?

EDIT: Figured it out. Apparently it didn't play nice with one of my Gamecube mem cards.

yoopoo

Banned
BootMii from Team Twiizers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oAQ9i4FMeg

The very first working test of BootMii. BootMii takes over the boot process of the Wii and lets you run almost anything (even security code, a backup/restore utility, you name it) from an SD card, before most of the system even starts booting. It is a huge step towards "brickproofing" a Wii, as it will still work even if you thoroughly screw up your filesystem. You could even format it entirely and it would still work.

Here I'm testing it with a small program that modifies the boot code (boot2) to boot into the Homebrew Channel instead of the normal system menu. Pop the SD card in, the Wii boots to HBC. Take it out, it reverts to normal boot. Real handy for coders.

I got my homebrew channel up and running now! Just installed Gecko OS and installing Quake now.

Will have to rent a game later this week to see if region free would work but glad that I got this homebrew channel installed, im actually quite surprised the level of the content there are on offer.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Where can I get the Homebrew Browser? I have the majority of the apps already but I seem to be lacking the acclaimed best one!

Tenbatsu

yoopoo said:
BootMii from Team Twiizers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oAQ9i4FMeg

The very first working test of BootMii. BootMii takes over the boot process of the Wii and lets you run almost anything (even security code, a backup/restore utility, you name it) from an SD card, before most of the system even starts booting. It is a huge step towards "brickproofing" a Wii, as it will still work even if you thoroughly screw up your filesystem. You could even format it entirely and it would still work.

Here I'm testing it with a small program that modifies the boot code (boot2) to boot into the Homebrew Channel instead of the normal system menu. Pop the SD card in, the Wii boots to HBC. Take it out, it reverts to normal boot. Real handy for coders.
THIS IS GOOD SHIT!

MoogPaul

Okay boys and girls, with the Mother 3 fan-translation close to done and the fact that I've been staring at a sealed Mother 3 from play-asia for 16 months, some info would be great. What is the state of GBA emulation on the Wii? What is the risk of bricking my Wii? Is it still possible to install Wii Homebrew channel in the most recent firmware (3.3 I think?)?

markatisu

MoogPaul said:
Okay boys and girls, with the Mother 3 fan-translation close to done and the fact that I've been staring at a sealed Mother 3 from play-asia for 16 months, some info would be great. What is the state of GBA emulation on the Wii? What is the risk of bricking my Wii? Is it still possible to install Wii Homebrew channel in the most recent firmware (3.3 I think?)?

VisualBoyAdvance works great, I was using it yesterday to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on the Wii. It took a while to load the game but once it was loaded it played perfectly fine and it was quite amusing playing a GBA game on a 32" HDTV :lol

I am not 100% sure all games will work but most should run without issue (there may be the occasional soundtrack stutter or framerate issue but that is the case with any emulator)

You risk next to nothing in regards to bricking your Wii (its not 100% as someone is bound to mess it up or do something wrong)

But if you follow the easy instructions in the Homebrew thread (search for it) it literally is two steps and its installed

I have the latest Wii firmware and Homebrew installed just fine, they patched it after the last firmware because the Zelda exploit stopped working for about 18hrs but all is good now

You can get VisualBoyAdvance from the Homebrew Browser once you have installed the Homebrew Channel, its abouts 3mb and you will need to find a GBA Bios yourself (its easily available online if you know where to look)

MoogPaul

markatisu said:
VisualBoyAdvance works great, I was using it yesterday to play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on the Wii. It took a while to load the game but once it was loaded it played perfectly fine and it was quite amusing playing a GBA game on a 32" HDTV :lol

yes, i'm pretty sure mother 3 was designed to play on 50" Plasma HDTVs like mine :lol

thanks for all the info.

angelfly

Ugh I broke my SD card while sticking it in the system today. Anyone know the largest SD card that will work fine for homebrew? I was looking at this 8Gb card.

markatisu

angelfly said:
Ugh I broke my SD card while sticking it in the system today. Anyone know the largest SD card that will work fine for homebrew? I was looking at this 8Gb card.

I thought the limit was 4gb since the Wii had trouble with higher capacity cards

I am using a 2GB SD Card and still have plenty of room even with Full Throttle dumped onto it for use in ScummVM Wii

Twig

Banned
I am officially Part Of The Club (TM)!

Recommend me funsies. O:

Also: I can't get the Homebrew Browser to connect. ): I'm using a USB dongle -- yes the crappy Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Dongle -- dunno if that means anything

(Aside from that, man, I love how easy this was!)

jrricky

Banned
Sooooooo..........after reading this last page of this thread, I really want to jump in. Is someone kind enough to help me through the steps?

angelfly

markatisu said:
I thought the limit was 4gb since the Wii had trouble with higher capacity cards

I am using a 2GB SD Card and still have plenty of room even with Full Throttle dumped onto it for use in ScummVM Wii

George said:
im pretty sure its 2gb

Thanks, I guess I'll be going with a 2gb card.

TunaLover

speaking about SD, I think now is pretty important to have a fast SD card, I know some cards make the difference, someone knows what is the fastest SD card data transmition available on Wii, and which is the max speed specification that Wii support'

my SD is a Panasonic class 2, i'm not much into the topic, please feel free to correct me

markatisu

jrricky said:
Sooooooo..........after reading this last page of this thread, I really want to jump in. Is someone kind enough to help me through the steps?

In case people cant find it or dont want to look
What you need:

-SD card
-Zelda TP Wii
-Wii Brew SD Installer http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii_Brew_SD_Installer

After running SD installer, copy the Zelda save file from SD card to Wii. Run Zelda, talk to the fist guy you see. Done.

This will install the Homebrew Channel with the Homebrew Browser, you can then install everything else from inside the Browser.

It seriously takes like 5-10min total (including running Zelda)
Also: I can't get the Homebrew Browser to connect. ): I'm using a USB dongle -- yes the crappy Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Dongle -- dunno if that means anything

When you get into the Homebrew Channel you will see a globe in the lower right hand corner, make sure its completely lit, if it is then you should be able to connect. I have had times where I have had to click on it once or twice and get it to re-connect to the net before launching the homebrew browser

I assume you can connect to the Wii Shop Channel right?
speaking about SD, I think now is pretty important to have a fast SD card, I know some cards make the difference, someone knows what is the fastest SD card data transmition available on Wii, and which is the max speed specification that Wii support'

I use Kingston myself, but my brother has used Panasonic and both have been fine. I am sure somewhere here there is a discussion on the transfer rates but the specifics escape me.

Twig

Banned
markatisu said:
When you get into the Homebrew Channel you will see a globe in the lower right hand corner, make sure its completely lit, if it is then you should be able to connect. I have had times where I have had to click on it once or twice and get it to re-connect to the net before launching the homebrew browser

I assume you can connect to the Wii Shop Channel right?
Ah, I got it to work. It was my fault, on my computer, I'd messed with internet connection sharing settings. Works now. Well, for the most part. Homebrew Browser has crashed three times on me. D: But I managed to get everything I needed. Except Quake, which was the last download it crashed on!

TunaLover

TheOneGuy said:
Ah, I got it to work. It was my fault, on my computer, I'd messed with internet connection sharing settings. Works now. Well, for the most part. Homebrew Browser has crashed three times on me. D: But I managed to get everything I needed. Except Quake, which was the last download it crashed on!

hey TOG heh, for Quake you need the original Quake file pak0.pak to play the demo version, and the pak1.pak to play the full version. the Quake folder comes only with the wii.pak iirc.

the structure, ''x'' being the SD root

x:/ID1/config.cfg
.........pak0.pak
.........pak1.pak <---only to play the full version
.........wii.pak

and

x:/apps/quake/boot.dol
.....................icon.png <--- not necessary, just the logo displayed in the HBC
.....................meta.xml <--- not necessary, just info about the game in the HBC

Even if you have pak1.pak, you need to have pak0.pak in the same folder, i don't why but that is.

Twig

Banned
TunaLover said:
hey TOG heh, for Quake you need the original Quake file pak0.pak to play the demo version, or the pak1.pak to play the full version. the Quake folder comes only with the wii.pak iirc.

the structure, ''x'' being the SD root

x:/ID1/config.cfg
.........pak0.pak
.........pak1.pak <---only to play the full version
.........wii.pak

and

x:/apps/quake/boot.dol
.....................icon.png <--- not necessary, just the logo displayed in the HBC
.....................meta.xml <--- not necessary, just info about the game in the HBC
Izzat so? Well, I have it regardless. Got the game on Steam forever ago.

The download from Homebrew Channel is like 18.7MB. HB froze before even one meg was finished downloading, hah. Thanks for the info. :D
yoopoo said:
Wii Homebrew Launcher v0.9 http://wiihomebrewlauncher.be.cx/

Now ability to launch apps from server, ubs drive and dvd.
WAT?!

jrricky

Banned
Ok, someone help me out. Im tryin to install the Homebrew browser, this comes up:

"You have Wii System Menu version 3.5 installed. The Homebrew Channel has only been tested with Wii System Menu versio 2.9 and below."

Should I be hesitant and not move on?

jrricky said:
Ok, someone help me out. Im tryin to install the Homebrew browser, this comes up:

"You have Wii System Menu version 22 installed. The Homebrew Channel has only been tested with Wii System Menu versio 18 and below."

Should I be hesitant and not move on?

Just do it?

Top Bottom