• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-gen Racing Graphics Face-off | (Next-gen means current-gen)

pixelbox

from gtplanet

FM7
36ba7a.jpg

GTS
4wyzdy.png
Omg! Nooooooooooo

Caddle

well nordschleife looks a hell of a lot better in GTS
Did you play the game or look at vidoes. Just the textures alone is on another level. These small gifs hide a lot of the flaws. Try it on your tv and then come talk to me. Also when the weather kicks in with the fog and rain it's a thing of beauty.

sinnergy

Did you play the game or look at vidoes. Just the textures alone is on another level. These small gifs hide a lot of the flaws. Try it on your tv and then come talk to me. Also when the weather kicks in with the fog and rain it's a thing of beauty.

The X version is a looker for sure.

pixelbox

Nahh...

mad597

Banned
For this ridiculous thread, like tire walls and trees off in the distance, it's super important...

So let me get this straight GTS patched most of the Damage model out of the game AND people are making excuses as to why that is ok? WTF it's 2017 no excuse for any decent racing game to not have a robust damage model

Senua

I tried running Forza 7 in 8k, it works fine in the menus but when I tried to race it crashed every time, someone plz lend me a 1080 TI

skylineslocj.jpg

I did get the game to run on track in 6k though, and FPS wasn't too terrible.

150hfkfu.jpg

Are you really trying to say forza 7 tracks look better than GTS???

Stillmatic

Tracks are more detailed in GTS. Watch the DF video.

Senua

Forza's engine is just incredible. I still have no idea how it can look like that yet still run so well.

Yea it's pretty amazing, the game doesn't run that much worse than FM6 Apex and definitely looks better.

I still think Horizon 3 is the best looking Forza game though. Shame I could never get rid of the stuttering.

thelastword

Banned

In FM7 those buildings are totally different from the real ones

111m0s6o.png

07mpscv9qsq5.jpg

056jsar.png

from gtplanet

FM7
36ba7a.jpg

GTS
4wyzdy.png

Wow, ATD is really off the charts in GTS compared to the competition. Forza is lacking so much detail. Quality of textures, cars, effects, foliage, draw distance, PBR and lighting are several notches below GT.....I mean, looking at Forza 7's pit crew or lack thereof is pretty indicative of what we're seeing here, nothwithstanding the 2D crowds and halfrate mirrors and reflections....

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Wow, ATD is really off the charts in GTS compared to the competition. Forza is lacking so much detail. Quality of textures, cars, effects, foliage, draw distance, PBR and lighting are several notches below GT.....I mean, looking at Forza 7's pit crew or lack thereof is pretty indicative of what we're seeing here, nothwithstanding the 2D crowds and halfrate mirrors and reflections....

not starting a flame war with this but doesn't GTS do cut back to achieve this, like isn't the reflection on GTS on the cars all the same regardless of where the cars are? I seen a video of the players car going under a bridge and the car infront had the same reflection as the players car even tho he was well clear of the bridge. also lower texture selections.

I think GTS looks amazing in all these pics btw and I will at some point have a go of it to see if it plays as good as it looks.

not starting a flame war with this but doesn't GTS do cut back to achieve this, like isn't the reflection on GTS on the cars all the same regardless of where the cars are? I seen a video of the players car going under a bridge and the car infront had the same reflection as the players car even tho he was well clear of the bridge. also lower texture selections.

I think GTS looks amazing in all these pics btw and I will at some point have a go of it to see if it plays as good as it looks.

They all (GTS, FM7, PC2) underwent some cutbacks especially to maintain a consistent 60fps refresh rate.

thelastword

Banned

No better time to start playing GTS but now, A campaign extension is about to drop soon and the game is on sale everywhere.

As for what you said on reflections et al, revisit the DF Video on Forza vs GTS. I'd take 60fps reflections anyday tbh and we're not going there again, but there's alot Forza does not reflect in the environment in tunnels et al...

Not on PC!
Well I usually compare the consoles. I wish DF would revise their faceoff on these titles and do a GTS vs Forza XBONEX or do forza XBONEX vs PC..That'd be swell....

kingbean

How come nobody is talking about how sweet Gear Club Unlimited looks on the switch. Why I think it looks as swell as Forza

Senua

Surfheart

What’s up with the skybox in GTS? Just got a 4K HDR tv and the skybox on some tracks/time of day is hideous... super low res compressed looking.

Surfheart

Any examples? I haven't noticed this in any screenshots.

I’ll try and take a pic of it tonight. Really suprised me when I saw it, instantly killed the immersion. I was wondering if the HDR mode made it more pronounced so tried with HDR off and it’s still there just not quite as obvious.

Interesting comparison....

One is native 4K, rock steady 60fps, better interior reflections on the inside windshield and the wipers actually move. The other is very lifeless and static inside out. Not sure the purpose of bumping a topic that was dead for 3 months other than your endless desire to compare the Xbox One X to everything.

drotahorror

One is native 4K, rock steady 60fps, better interior reflections on the inside windshield and the wipers actually move. The other is very lifeless and static inside out. Not sure the purpose of bumping a topic that was dead for 3 months other than your endless desire to compare the Xbox One X to everything.

It's a new video so why not post it? I found the video interesting as well. This topic has been around for a long time, sometimes goes months without replies. It would still be fairly active if not for the exodus. I wouldn't doubt if the topic becomes more active when ONRUSH comes out since it's the team behind Driveclub.

Makariel

Forza looks more realistic with the overcast weather. GT looks very cartoony. Forza has more track side details and reflections on inside of cockpit from windshield that are completely absent from GT. Interesting comparison indeed.
What you call "more realistic", I would just call different weather. Forza looks like there would be a thunderstorm soon, while GT looks like the rest of the day would be dry. Neither is inherently "better". The lack of reflections are noticeable, but then again: the video has slightly different weather/lighting conditions on either side. When you drive cars irl a lot, you will notice that you normally don't see that much reflection in the windscreen ahead of you, unless you have a very specific angle to the sun. Even on sunny days I remember only very few occasions where I would have experienced anything close to the overdone reflections seen in that video.

That said, the materials in the GT cockpit look a bit odd, but I haven't been sitting in a Alpine A110 myself, so I'm not the right person to judge. What I can judge is the sound: that's awful in both cases. Just have a listen on any youtube video showing the sound of a real Alpine A110 and you realise how badly both miss the mark here. But GT always sounds like a roomba-competition, that's nothing new there, but I'm a bit disappointed by Forza, which I thought was better in that department.

This car sounds so nice, it is a crime what they are doing to it!

shpankey

not an idiot
I have to say FM7 looked and sounded a bit better overall in that video. Shadows stood out, as did the trees and object detail such as the ferris wheel, laptime pole, grandstands and power poles/lines. Add to that the anti-aliasing, reflections and skybox, all noticeably better, imo. GTS win's on lighting, as usual.

In cockpit was a blowout... WAAAY better in FM7!

Look at this pic (1440p @60fps) and you can see some of what I was meaning:
https://1drv.ms/u/s!Assjtkq6n260htZR3_GIc1GbpKRHhA

Notice the shadows, the anti-aliasing differences, laptime pole, grandstands details and especially the power pole's and power lines. Then there's the cockpit... yikes.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
This vid has PC as well, but same type of comparison..

A few more games to the mix....

Perhaps one of my favourite comparisons.....

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
the lighting / environment shading in forza is so much worse it's not even funny
Hmmmmm.......it's really on another level, the materials, the ATD in the environments, lighting not just on cars but in the environment, the crowds...Look at how much detail is resolved when you see inside the car from rear cam compared to the other games in the first two videos, the quality of the materials are distinguishable and sustained from that view......Higher polycount and detail in cockpit view, more accurate shadows, well realtime shadows in GT in any case. It's funny too, that I knew some folk would take the over done reflections in the cockpit in Forza and pretend it's realistic, especially with Forza's subdued and baked lighting in that video, quite the contrast, there's no way you would see that type of glare/reflection on your windhsield, especially with overcast conditions and at that time of day, it looks so fake.....You would swear that the windshield is a bathroom mirror....

The biggest takeaway apart from the superior lighting on GT is the shadows, so many inaccurate shadows are reflected in the cockpit in Forza, then you will just get to a section where there should be an obvious shadow and it's missing.......like when the car passes under an obvious overhead in non cockpit view, several missing shadows all over the environment as well....Reflection quality is also noticeable, it's drawn from prior frames and renders at 30fps in Forza console, so does mirrors....At least in GT, reflections are 60fps most of the time and is done via a more GPU intensive process....Which gets me thinking, pretty much every rendering job in GT is done at a more ambitious level than in Forza 7, it's no wonder it could hit 4k native...,Polycount and materials, cars, lighting, realtime shadows, reflection quality and framerate, larger draw distance, 3d crowds, cockpit crews, replays, foliage of higher quality that casts shadows, headlight in tunnels and when it gets dark, low beam high beam, better particle effects (dust, smoke) that cast shadows.....Light sources that bounce off the environment and off other cars......Even at 4k you see a bit more shimmering at the base of the rear skirting on the alpine in Forza 7 compared to GTS, also, fences in Forza looks dithered and noisy in other videos, so the AA is certainly not adequate covering many obvious things in your view.

TBiddy

Gotta say - it's impressive how both GT:S and FM7 looks. FM7 clearly takes the crown though, but that is only natural, considering it runs on a much more powerful console, clearly capable of 4K.

thelastword

Banned
4SXq6Ao.gif

John Linemann would laugh out loud on this one.
Ha indeed....Also better hardware does not guarantee a better looking or more technical game.....A higher resolution game that cut corners at every turn is not a better looking or more ambitious title...

Anyways....Here's a video of Onrush, it's not quite a traditional racing game, it focuses more on points, teamwork, stunts and takedowns instead of pole position... Don't know how it will shake up, I think it's aesthetics are closer to Blur and FH3, so we shall see...I hope it takes off because if it does not, I don't know Rushy....Dang, Sony should have really kept EVO alive, we would be playing DC pro patched right now and gearing for DC2 or Motorstorm 4.....I can't imagine how eye melting either of these titles would have looked like, if they stayed on...Bummer really....

Last edited:
Ha indeed....Also better hardware does not guarantee a better looking or more technical game.....A higher resolution game that cut corners at every turn is not a better looking or more ambitious title...

As John Linemann clarly let us know in DF comparison video. From video you literally can conclude that GTS looks better.

Bogroll

Likes moldy games
Hmmmmm.......it's really on another level, the materials, the ATD in the environments, lighting not just on cars but in the environment, the crowds...Look at how much detail is resolved when you see inside the car from rear cam compared to the other games in the first two videos, the quality of the materials are distinguishable and sustained from that view......Higher polycount and detail in cockpit view, more accurate shadows, well realtime shadows in GT in any case. It's funny too, that I knew some folk would take the over done reflections in the cockpit in Forza and pretend it's realistic, especially with Forza's subdued and baked lighting in that video, quite the contrast, there's no way you would see that type of glare/reflection on your windhsield, especially with overcast conditions and at that time of day, it looks so fake.....You would swear that the windshield is a bathroom mirror....

The biggest takeaway apart from the superior lighting on GT is the shadows, so many inaccurate shadows are reflected in the cockpit in Forza, then you will just get to a section where there should be an obvious shadow and it's missing.......like when the car passes under an obvious overhead in non cockpit view, several missing shadows all over the environment as well....Reflection quality is also noticeable, it's drawn from prior frames and renders at 30fps in Forza console, so does mirrors....At least in GT, reflections are 60fps most of the time and is done via a more GPU intensive process....Which gets me thinking, pretty much every rendering job in GT is done at a more ambitious level than in Forza 7, it's no wonder it could hit 4k native...,Polycount and materials, cars, lighting, realtime shadows, reflection quality and framerate, larger draw distance, 3d crowds, cockpit crews, replays, foliage of higher quality that casts shadows, headlight in tunnels and when it gets dark, low beam high beam, better particle effects (dust, smoke) that cast shadows.....Light sources that bounce off the environment and off other cars......Even at 4k you see a bit more shimmering at the base of the rear skirting on the alpine in Forza 7 compared to GTS, also, fences in Forza looks dithered and noisy in other videos, so the AA is certainly not adequate covering many obvious things in your view.
Iv'e got back into Forza the last few days and it looks amazing most of the time at 4k 60fps, especially when the track is wet etc. I'm soon going to purchase GT Sport for my Pro and i reading your views of GT Sport v Forza 7 i genuinely expect to be blown away with the graphics when racing In GT Sport. I played the final beta and was really impressed with the lights on the cars and car models in the menus and would say they are another level or 2 up from Forza 7 but in Forzas defence it has a shitload more cars, especially at launch . One area i was disappointed in GT Sport was the reflections on the bonnet, i can't remember which view, interior or bonnet or another and one thing that stood out was the reflections was about 20fps and in a Minecraft style blockyness. I presume this has been sorted as it was only the beta.
Also what mode should i play GT Sport. Is it quality or performance ? Is it locked 60fps in both modes and what the resolution in both modes ?

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

Anyways....Here's a video of Onrush, it's not quite a traditional racing game, it focuses more on points, teamwork, stunts and takedowns instead of pole position... Don't know how it will shake up, I think it's aesthetics are closer to Blur and FH3, so we shall see...I hope it takes off because if it does not, I don't know Rushy....Dang, Sony should have really kept EVO alive, we would be playing DC pro patched right now and gearing for DC2 or Motorstorm 4.....I can't imagine how eye melting either of these titles would have looked like, if they stayed on...Bummer really....

A higher resolution game that cuts corners every turn? Why does GTS not have proper weather? Why doesn't GTS have dynamic TOD? Why are the reflections in GTS only 20fps and blocky with pop in? Why are there still some cars in GTS with no cockpit view? Why GTS use lower quality car model in gameplay? Why is GTS not locked 60fps or native 4K? Why doesn't wet ground in GTS not reflect cars? Why are the shadows so low quality in GTS? Why is there soo much pop in GTS? Now tell me why are they cutting so much corners?

thelastword

Banned
As John Linemann clarly let us know in DF comparison video. From video you literally can conclude that GTS looks better.
Even though John and I don't always see eye to eye and I felt he was trying to be nice to Forza, he did an excellent job in that video spelling out the technical differences, where the majority of GTS's rendering methods are more advanced and technical over Forza, but more than his commentary, all you really had to do was watch the video, and see the two games side by side, it's really not rocket science.....The area where he shows the lighting at dusk in both versions just blows Forza away, the quality of the cars in GTS, the way light bounces off it, even nuanced bits like tail lights....Yet the best part of that video was when he showed GTS at night, particle and dust effects balooning up when you go offroad and the lights of the cars reflected in those particles...Also the dominance of headlights in GTS, where in Forza headlights dont even come on in dark tunnels, In GTS the lightsources of the cars are bouncing off each other and the environment and the time of day also looks more authentic just the same...

A higher resolution game that cuts corners every turn? Why does GTS not have proper weather? Why doesn't GTS have dynamic TOD? Why are the reflections in GTS only 20fps and blocky with pop in? Why are there still some cars in GTS with no cockpit view? Why GTS use lower quality car model in gameplay? Why is GTS not locked 60fps or native 4K? Why doesn't wet ground in GTS not reflect cars? Why are the shadows so low quality in GTS? Why is there soo much pop in GTS? Now tell me why are they cutting so much corners?
Forza does not have dynamic time of day, time does not move based on the clock, it moves based on where you are in a race on a track, basically baked TOD, even worse because there are no dynamic shadows to give that sense of time progression anyway, everything is baked. Reflections in GTS are 60fps most of the time, there are instances where the framerate lowers, but you take 60fps refresh most of the time to 30hz all of the time and I think it's quite clear what's preferable and superior...GTS is locked 60fps on PRO....All those corners eh!

Flat see-saw textures, probably one of the worse representations of gravel I've seen in a game, for a 2017 game no less...Quality is even lowered in the distance, after it's already so bad.....
MwWeGJ3.jpg

Everybody has gone home in Forza on raceday, reflections, lighting, 3d crew and those shadows.......
WX94ZSN.jpg

Polycount on the ad arches, reflections, lighting, shadows, AO, 3D Crews, more authentic materials., That ATD.
86MhyUr.jpg

Q0jEb5j.jpg

3D crowd that cast shadows vs 2D crowds with bad lighting and everything is just flat, hardly any gpu resources used...
x1T4r91.jpg

But that 4k native goodness amirite? uncompromised pixels, no compromises et al, Even the guy in red in GTS is amused....
UoO1Oj2.jpg

GTS off road....particle/dust effects galore...
lQtAYMk.jpg

Should I mention that in motion it's even better, just look at the DF video and see how much shimmering you see in Forza 7 when the BMW's are going down the nurb, observe the side rails in Forza 7 and some of the road markings, lots of shimmering, then compare that to the blue BMW on the GTS side. There's an issue with how AA works on all elements in Forza7, AA resolve is not that great everywhere, it's even worse on fences etc.....The resolution is better no doubt, but overall, IQ is below GTS in many areas.......So 4k does not mean you have a more impressive image, it only means you have a higher resolution in this instance...

Last edited:

Bogroll

Likes moldy games

This is the problem with you, you only watch video's you haven't seen it native in the flesh on the X and btw all reflections are not 30hrtz, certainly not on the X and the general framerate is not locked 60fps on the Pro in quality mode.

Last edited:
This is the problem with you, you only watch video's you haven't seen it native in the flesh on the X and btw all reflections are not 30hrtz, certainly not on the X and the general framerate is not locked 60fps on the Pro in quality mode.

Forza Motorsport 7 isn't locked 60 fps either. Go check VGTech video.

Top Bottom