• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus |OT| You don't need a Switch to play this outside!

KingV

My account doesn't show anything. Other than proof that I purchased it.

In my experience you can’t sctually get to the key from your account. The key comes with a link in a separate email that says “download”

It’s a dumb system, not sure why it works like that.

Go into your email and search for Wolfenstein II

abracadaver

Bullet casings are falling to the ground and even rolling around but they don't make any sounds anymore. WTF is this bullshit?

RedStep

Anyone know how long this is suppose to be? Considering using red box for it.

People are saying around 15 hours. I'm a little over 5 hours in and only at 10% on the progress screen, but I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and tend to get held up farming kills to level up my perks.

Ruff

I find the sound weird in this game. A lot of the time it's really hard to hear where you're being shot from even if they're standing up your arse out of view. It's like there's no directional sound with the gunfire.

How do you know if it’s the German edition? I activated mine last night but haven’t opened it yet.

wolfpyk43.jpg

The Jag

Neo Member
So I ordered the Xbox and PS4 versions of Wolfenstein 2 from Best Buy, along with Assassins Creed Origins. All 3 games got delayed with a message "should receive games no later than NOV 26th or the order will be cancelled. On the same Order I had Mario Odyssey but I got that today.

Did anyone order Wolfenstein or AC from best buy and have their order delayed?

At what point do you start finding weapon upgrades? Im fairly early in the game still

Clearing out the stowaways in the U Boat
but I havent come across any yet.

People playing on the Pro...does your fan kick into high gear while playing this? It does calm down a bit at times but gunfights seem to make the fan spin up to speeds I dont think Ive heard before.

SlickVic

I've seen people say you don't need to manually pick up stuff anymore, but absolutely nothing happens when I walk over stuff. I still need to hammer on the button like a mad-man. =/

It seems to be a bit finicky about auto-picking up ammo. Gotta be directly on top of it for it to register in my experience.

FHIZ

I can't even change the resolution of the game without it freezing. Can't even ALT F4 it... this seems preeeeeeetty broken.

Drewfonse

First 90 mins played, what a great opening sequence. Nice bump in visuals compared TNO on the Pro, and boy does it run smoothly. The cutscenes and action are fantasctic. Loving it. No cakewalk on Normal, for me.

PantsuJo

People playing on the Pro...does your fan kick into high gear while playing this? It does calm down a bit at times but gunfights seem to make the fan spin up to speeds I dont think Ive heard before.
Just like Doom... it's the idTech6, a pretty but heavy engine for PS4 hardware.

The previous Wolfenstein games were made with idTech5, as far as I know. A lot less demanding

SlickVic

Yep. I've been playing with headphones, but definitely noticeable when I take them off. Someone was mentioning some stuttering issues as well before, but can't say I've noticed any of that yet. Framerate's been nice and smooth so far.

leng jai

Stuttering was pretty bad for me in the first chapter or 2, seems to be almost gone after that though. Might just be me though. The audio in this is significantly better than the first game, but the guns still sound far too soft.

Have you played killing floor 2? Wolf 2 is nothing compared to that game when it comes to fan noise.

Yup. I've never been annoyed about the Pro's fan noise but with Wolf2 is almost ridiculous. I'm using some cheap ass headphones because I can't stand it anymore.

Velikost

Can anyone chime in on that preorder bonus "The Freedom Chronicles"? The flavor text reads like if you have it, it acts a prologue to the main game.

Best Buy is having issues with their codes, so I'm not even going to crack open my copy until I get the DLC email if that's the case.

SlickVic

Can anyone chime in on that preorder bonus "The Freedom Chronicles"? The flavor text reads like if you have it, it acts a prologue to the main game.

Best Buy is having issues with their codes, so I'm not even going to crack open my copy until I get the DLC email if that's the case.

The Freedom Chronicles sounds like its own thing and part of the season pass. Basically different character stories set in the same universe. Each episode will focus on a different character, and Episode 0 looks like the prologue to those stories, which is what you get with the pre-order. Doesn't sound like it's necessary for the main game itself, but Episode 0 is not out until November 7 anyways. Some more info on it here.

DirtyLarry

It is easily the loudest game on the Pro. Easily. And as a poster above said, I also recall Doom being loud as hell too. But this is even louder. It is pretty damn crazy how loud it is.

I forgot how hard aiming is for me in this game. Dying everywhere, left and right
You and me both with the dying. And I am early on. I do not remember the first game being this hard. Or maybe I am just rusty. I did play Destiny 2 a decent amount over the past 6 weeks, so I do not think that is helping. In it I basically just run around guns blazing. That approach absolutely does not cut it in Wolfenstein I am being reminded.

leng jai

The game is designed to be played on lower difficulties. You die way too fast on hard or higher, you basically have to play like CoD half the time.

Fantastic experience so far, though fair warning: in the hub area you can very easily accidentally sequence break and skip story stuff. I'll have to find a YouTube playthrough of that part now, see what I missed. I'd recommend not exploring too much, play the objectives, but doing that will also make you skip out on some fun stuff. (Specifically a food conversation.) So I guess save frequently in the hub? This is a small black mark on an otherwise amazing game, but still too bad.

Also I know there was debate about this pre-release, but after playing a few hours of the New Colossus I'm convinced anybody interested should go through the New Order first. It is a direct sequel, in every sense of the term, and you'll be missing out on so much if you come in blind. New Colossus seems to be a significantly better game, but I just replayed through New Order and it still holds up nicely enough.

First mission(s?) stuff:
I love how confident and self-aware this game is. Like how when you try to exit the first mission -- something approaching a gaming cliché -- instead of a cutscene you get attacked by an enemy. And the wheelchair section, just a ballsy way to start a shooter.

And while it's possible I'm just garbage at Wolfenstein, I like how so many of the sandboxes so far feel designed where you can only reasonably stealth through the initial section. I love the stealth mechanics in the series, but in practice in the previous games that meant avoiding most of the extremely fun combat. I feel like the New Colossus has been tuned so you're almost organically forced into a better mix of the two.

I'm still struggling to get over just how much an upgrade this seems over its predecessors (both of which I really liked!). I'm only three hours in, so who knows if it will last, but it's clear that as of now Machinegames really knows how to make a goddamn great shooter.

Also I'm playing on hard and it seems fine. *shrug*

At what point do you start finding weapon upgrades? Im fairly early in the game still

Clearing out the stowaways in the U Boat
but I havent come across any yet.

First one I found was actually directly after that part, though it's definitely possible I missed something.

The game is designed to be played on lower difficulties. You die way too fast on hard or higher, you basically have to ply like CoD half the time.

It sure as fuck feels like it. I don't remember TNO being this hard on Death Incarnate.

Are there ANY health upgrades in this game? I'm a good 3 hours into the game, and I'm still sitting at 50 base health

Only about 3 hours in but so far this may be the most disappointed I've been with a game all year honestly... I hate the 50 health + overdrive system, and all they are doing over and over is throwing 2 commanders at me in every sequence. It feels like there is no creativity to it whatsoever. I love the story - but playing through the game to get through it feels like a chore atm. Was really hyped for this too...

Hopefully it gets better but man this first impression has left a bad taste in my mouth.

gocubs

So I ordered the Xbox and PS4 versions of Wolfenstein 2 from Best Buy, along with Assassins Creed Origins. All 3 games got delayed with a message "should receive games no later than NOV 26th or the order will be cancelled. On the same Order I had Mario Odyssey but I got that today.

Did anyone order Wolfenstein or AC from best buy and have their order delayed?

I got Wolfenstein, AC Origins, and Mario Odyssey today from bestbuy.com.

Ombra

I don't like making choices where no choice isn't an option. I have had this part looping for half an hour. Bullshit.

About 4-5 hours into the game now. Taking it slow since I've been dying a lot on Bring Em 'On. Again, the game feels way harder than TNO did.

Not really feelings either Grace or Spesh as characters. Grace gives me mad Poochie vibes and Spesh is practically Jar-Jar tier with his diarrhea jokes. The tone of the game in general feels like its missing the well-balanced camp that TNO managed so well.

OmahaG8

Preordered Wolfenstein 2 Collector's PC many moons ago.

My order is delayed from Best Buy with no ETA.

Not only that, the PC CE isn't even showing online anymore, and my order now says this -

"PS4-Ghost 11 - PlayStation 4"

So uhm.. ok, then. Doesn't fill me with warm fuzzies.

renzolama

Okay, I realize that The New Order (released in 2014) was trying to capture the classic id/90's FPS mechanics in a modern wrapper, and because of that I was willing to ignore my irritation at having to slam the 'E' button a bajillion times in every room to pick up armor/ammo/etc at 1-2% per drop. I'm only about 30 mins into The New Colossus, but does it retain this mechanic for the entire game? I hope not.

Edit: Thank goodness I was wrong - it looks like it's automatically picking up nearby stuff and I just wasn't close enough to trigger it. Crisis averted, back to murdering nazis.

Apocryphon

Okay, I realize that The New Order (released in 2014) was trying to capture the classic id/90's FPS mechanics in a modern wrapper, and because of that I was willing to ignore my irritation at having to slam the 'E' button a bajillion times in every room to pick up armor/ammo/etc at 1-2% per drop. I'm only about 30 mins into The New Colossus, but does it really retain this mechanic for the entire game? I hope not.

You auto pick up stuff you walk over.

My biggest gripe is the AI. It's dreadful.

leng jai

This definitely has a mild stuttering/ frame pacing issue at times on the Pro. Be interested to see if it shows up on the DF analysis.

Fuck me, this game man!!

Somehow, in the first hour of gamepley, they managed to present 2 of the most disgraceful characters in gaming history. I won't spoil anything, but I was shocked, and I'm not shocked easily. WOW, just WOW!

It's Django
Unchained meets Schindler's List meets Butterfly Effect

This definitely has a mild stuttering/ frame pacing issue at times on the Pro. Be interested to see if it shows up on the DF analysis.

Wounded. Was about to buy last night after you said it had gone after Chapter 2 but looks like its still there.

Wtf hasn't anybody else said anything about it?

Can you upload some footage to see how bad it is?

There's no stuttering on my side on the Pro. However, and as I've seen on the PS4 and Xbox One too, the game is not locked to 60 at all times and that may be what it looks like stutter to you.

Top Bottom