• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Whatever happened to Million Onion Hotel?

Mollymauk

Was it cancelled? Their website still says "coming soon."

I was really excited for this due to it's insane trailer.

Onion games released a trailer for another title that has yet to be released, Brave Yamada-Kun, about a salary man who moonlights making RPG games. It looks to be similarly crazy.

Onion games has a serious pedigree, so it's surprising these haven't seen the light of day.
Director Yoshiro Kimura was a producer for No More Heroes and Little King’s Story, and did work on Romancing SaGa 2 and 3. Art Director Kazuyuki Kurashima was a character designer for Super Mario RPG, Little King’s Story and Live A Live. Game Designer Tom Ikeda worked on Rule of Rose, Lollipop Chainsaw, Harvest Moon: Tree of Tranquility and more.

I wonder what happened.

KROTV7e.jpg

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY

randomkid

Kimura shelved it for a bit to focus on Yamada, but I believe he has every intention of coming back to it some day (Yamada did better than any of them expected, and Onion's still super small).

They're cooking up a new prototype now, too, called BLACK BIRD http://www.famitsu.com/news/201607/09110514.html

(oh and also: Yamada's totally out in Japan https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/yong-zheyamadakun/id987732117 but they haven't made any steps toward localizing it)

yeah I was blown away the other day to find out Yamada was actually already out in Japan, I tried to make a Japanese itunes account to play it but this guide doesn't work.

Black Bird looks like a Lovedelic version of Fantasy Zone and I can't wait for it, he explicitly said he wants to release an English version on Steam so here's hoping.

Mollymauk

Kimura shelved it for a bit to focus on Yamada, but I believe he has every intention of coming back to it some day (Yamada did better than any of them expected, and Onion's still super small).

They're cooking up a new prototype now, too, called BLACK BIRD http://www.famitsu.com/news/201607/09110514.html

(oh and also: Yamada's totally out in Japan https://itunes.apple.com/jp/app/yong-zheyamadakun/id987732117 but they haven't made any steps toward localizing it)

Awesome, thanks for the tip!

yeah I was blown away the other day to find out Yamada was actually already out in Japan, I tried to make a Japanese itunes account to play it but this guide doesn't work.

Black Bird looks like a Lovedelic version of Fantasy Zone and I can't wait for it, he explicitly said he wants to release an English version on Steam so here's hoping.

Creating a foreign app store account is easy to do in iTunes. Sign out of your account. Scroll to the bottom of the app store and choose change country. Pick Japan. Choose a free app to download (this will allow you to create an account without adding payment info). Choose to create a new account on the popup. Get fake Japanese name and address from this site. When you add an email address for the account, you can use "+japan" and the verification email will come to your existing address if your domain supports it. Gmail does. So you can enter "username+japan@gmail.com" and you'll receive the confirmation email from Apple.

That should be all you need!

Raitaro

Sorry for the news-less bump, but as someone who just found out about this game's existence - as well as Brave Yamada-kun's for that matter, which looks great but doesn't appear to have a thread - I can't help but wonder why nobody has offered to localise Onion Games' output, not even fellow BitSummit supporters 8-4 Play.

Would it have been easier to accomplish this if the games were released for 3DS as well? And on that note, why didn't they release a 3DS version of Yamada (or pick the 3DS as their main platform even)? If Nintendo is serious about their Nindies program, why aren't they supporting indie devs like this and bring their games to the e-shop in English?

Sorry for the questions fellow Gaffers, but perhaps someone has some more recent info on this and I'd thought I might as well try asking.

Top Bottom