• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

OS X El Capitan [OT]

Ninja Dom

obxzt50.png

Available: Wednesday 30 September 2015
Free download from the Mac App Store

L8sudgW.png

• Split View: Automatically fill your screen with two apps you choose.
  • Mission Control: Streamlined and easier to see and organise.
  • Spotlight: Smarter results and more search information.
  • Mail: Improved full-screen support and swipe gestures
  • Notes: Powerful upgrade allows easy additions of photos, videos, URL’s or map locations.
  • Photos: Allows third party editing tools and supports Live Photos taken on iPhone 6S & 6S Plus.
  • Safari: Pinned sites, mute audio in individual tabs, AirPlay to stream to TV.
  • Maps: Public transport information.
  • Languages: Improved Japanese & Chinese fonts and input.
  • System Font: Adoption of the San Francisco system font first seen in Watch and then in iOS 9

Apple website - All Features

SWMYMmz.png

56sFj2S.png

El Capitan runs on all existing Macs that could run Yosemite so:

General Requirements:
  • OS X 10.6.8 or later
  • 2GB of memory
  • 8GB of available space

Supported Models:
  • iMac (Mid 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook (Late 2008 Aluminum, or Early 2009 or newer)
  • MacBook Pro (Mid/Late 2007 or newer)
  • MacBook Air (Late 2008 or newer)
  • Mac Mini (Early 2009 or newer)
  • Mac Pro (Early 2008 or newer)
  • Xserve (Early 2009)

Thanks very much to giga. And thanks to the other iPhone-GAF and Mac-GAF crew.

Click here for OS X Yosemite OT

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
As for Japanese language support, El Capitan dynamically transforms Hiragana text entry into the appropriate Kanji or Katakana. Current implementations require users press the spacebar after every word or phrase to bring up conversion options.

Apple also includes new Japanese fonts called Klee, Tsukushi A Round Gothic, Tsukushi B Round Gothic, and YuMincho +36p Kana. Finally, the Hiragino Sans font will gain additional weight alternatives for a more personalized feel.

Jacknod. Also curious about new transit stuff in Maps whenever they add a local city.

dkeane

Been running the beta for a while and I'm loving this update. Lots of great small tweaks too.

Been using Safari for my default browser and the pinned tabs across all windows is a great feature.

snacknuts

we all knew her
  • Split View: Automatically fill your screen with two apps you choose.
  • Mission Control: Streamlined and easier to see and organise.
  • Spotlight: Smarter results and more search information.
  • Mail: Improved full-screen support and swipe gestures
  • Notes: Powerful upgrade allows easy additions of photos, videos, URL’s or map locations.
  • Photos: Allows third party editing tools and supports Live Photos taken on iPhone 6S & 6S Plus.
  • Safari: Pinned sites, mute audio in individual tabs, AirPlay to stream to TV.
  • Maps: Public transport information.
  • Languages: Improved Japanese & Chinese fonts and input.

There's a lot of stuff on that list that I don't use. Oh well. Definitely looking forward to the general performance improvements, although I have been much happier with Yosemite than the two previous iterations.

LeleSocho

Banned
I have been running the beta for so long that i forgot that the rest of the world was still on Yosemite, it's a good upgrade guys download it as soon as it is available.

Hoo-doo

Banned
Have been on the Beta since day one. Love it.

Have been using Moom for the split view for ages though. CMD+Arrow Left/Right for side windows, CMD+Arrow Down for centered 'normal' window, CMD+Arrow Up for full screen.

Can't live without that stuff. The hotkeys are essential.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
There's a lot of stuff on that list that I don't use. Oh well. Definitely looking forward to the general performance improvements, although I have been much happier with Yosemite than the two previous iterations.

What about redesigned disk utility? Oh la la

OHA0mb7.png

LCfiner

I've been on the beta for a while. I really like it. A lot of small refinement and speed improvements. it's what Mac OS needed after Mavericks/Yosemite, imo. It just feels faster.

I'm running it on a 2009 2.26 GHz Core 2 Duo Mac Mini at 1080p and it runs quite well :)

SigSig

Split view may be no tiled window management, but Amethyst never really provided that in the first place, so I'll be glad to toss it out and receive snappy window management goodness.
I have never upraded an OSX install before, I guess it's backing up important files and just going for it?
Are dotfiles included in time machine backups?

HiResDes

I have a 2007 iMac that I upgraded to 4GB of Ram and an SSD, but it still has an old ass Core Duo processor. I'm currently running Maverick, never tried Yosemite even, should I bother getting this new OS.

KevinG

My wife's mid-2010, last of the fiberglass, MacBook is struggling, but if I've learned anything from iOS, this won't make the computer run any better. I've been using it for work, but it's just not efficient anymore.

Anyone have any experience with El Capitan on a model this old?

My wife's mid-2010, last of the fiberglass, MacBook is struggling, but if I've learned anything from iOS, this won't make the computer run any better. I've been using it for work, but it's just not efficient anymore.

Expand its RAM to the maximum, replace the hard drive with an SSD and you'll have a new lease on life with it.

Treefrog

I have a 2007 iMac that I upgraded to 4GB of Ram and an SSD, but it still has an old ass Core Duo processor. I'm currently running Maverick, never tried Yosemite even, should I bother getting this new OS.

I have the same setup and Yosemite runs fine. I'm looking to update to El Capitan as I don't think it will be that much of a difference.

bionic77

My wife has the 2010 MBP and we replaced the HD with a SSD and maxed out the RAM to 8 gigs and it never misses a beat.

Looking forward to hopefully more speed from all my Macs with this new update. Though I am not going to update until the weekend after I have heard some impressions.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

The problem is an old HDD and probably not enough ram. You know what to do

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
Didn't know that it's releasing tomorrow. What a pleasure.

Afrodium

Banned
If Yosemite turned my 2009 MacBook Pro into a slow piece of garbage is this likely to improve performance or make it worse?

KevinG

Expand its RAM to the maximum, replace the hard drive with an SSD and you'll have a new lease on life with it.

My wife has the 2010 MBP and we replaced the HD with a SSD and maxed out the RAM to 8 gigs and it never misses a beat.

Looking forward to hopefully more speed from all my Macs with this new update. Though I am not going to update until the weekend after I have heard some impressions.

The problem is an old HDD and probably not enough ram. You know what to do

Our issue is that we don't want to put money into it if it's just smarter to save up and upgrade to a newer model.

I sold my Aluminum late-2008 MacBook a few years ago toward a new MacBook, but we didn't end up getting it.

Jal

2009 Macbook Pro with 4gb ram and cheap Sandisk SSD runs smooth as silk, within limits of course.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I finally upgraded from Snow Leopard to Yosemite about one month ago. I'll probably wait a bit before jumping on to the El Capitan train,

Currently using a 2010 MB with 4GB of RAM. Runs fine.

Our issue is that we don't want to put money into it if it's just smarter to save up and upgrade to a newer model.

I sold my Aluminum late-2008 MacBook a few years ago toward a new MacBook, but we didn't end up getting it.

BX100 is $86 shipped for 250GB, 8GB (2x4) Vengeance memory for $41 shipped. $127 and the thing will scream compared to how it is now. It's well worth the investment for such a pittance given how much performance you stand to gain.

I had major WIFI issues when I upgraded my 2012 Mac Mini to Yosemite. I had to downgrade to Mavericks.

Did El Capitan fix the WIFI issues that Yosemite had? Any known concerns?

Stike

Is api.smoot.apple .com still in?

I will be waiting until people have reported extensively about potential backdoors and spyware.

If you don't know about api.smoot, just do a web search on this topic. Spotlight sends all your search queries to Apple, even if you turned all online search features off. Key press by key press. They will know what you look for, even if you search your local files.

I had major WIFI issues when I upgraded my 2012 Mac Mini to Yosemite. I had to downgrade to Mavericks.

Did El Capitan fix the WIFI issues that Yosemite had? Any known concerns?

Yes. It ripped discoveryd out and replaced it back with the older, more reliable mDNSresponder. Later patches of Yosemite do the same too.

Top Bottom