• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Assassin's Creed Empire details?

It's somewhat a reboot for the franchise, right?

I hope it's an RPG.

Ubisoft iderate off the mark too often. If you look at AC and Prince of Persia, you can see that they overhaul and scrap entire concepts from game to game, but the replacement often doesn't seem to fix the core issues. It's quite interesting.

Look at how Sands of Time evolved into Warrior Within and then the third one. You can see a similar pattern in the feature creeps of the AC2 > Brotherhood > Revelations 3 > BF > Unity > Syndicate.

What you want is for them to get it right. But even when Ubisoft absolutely nails it. When they fucking kills it, they still seem to scrap the things that didn't need scrapping. The artstyle of Ubi 08 being the worst offense I can think of.

But you see it with their UI, inventory, animus-meta game, crafting, upgrades, combat, blocking, combos, traversals, parkour, jumping- I mean, the list of them scrapping and revising things is like their studios have schizofrenia. It's a massive frustration with Ubisoft games.

On one hand, Ubisoft is more brave and daring than EA and Acti. They take more risks, they invest in moe new IP, they dare go for newer projects and I am convinced that the Ubi mangement on top is more embedded in wanting to make good games than the top execs and Acti and EA (to mention the 3 big pubs).

I love Ubisoft for their bravery, but imagining this game as an RPG? I'm afraid it would be so muched up. How about an Assassins Creed where they nail the AI, make the combat more skill based (instead of context sensitive timing based) and do the same with combat (instead of just press button to navigate).

We've still not had an AC that fixes the fundamentals. But even more than that: This is a game set in ancient egypt. The games setting superseeds everything else about it, simply by the volition that Africa (and ancient africa) is incredible underrepresented in gaming. I basically feel obligated to play this game simply by the allure of being able to explore the time period.

And that is the thing with AC; Many of the titles take historical periods that no other games explore. That is why people want the animus / sci-fi elements to go away. They want a Holy Lands Crusader game, they want a pirate game, they want a renisance game, they want a ancient egypt game. But no devs are providing that. So Assassins Creed is the sort of pill everyone has to swallow. And Ubisoft only dares doing it because they know! - They *know* that they are taking less of a chance when AC is strapped on it, just like they take less of a chance when tey slap tom clancy on other games that have fuck all to do with it.

Assassins Creeds value is in its setting. But like other Ubi properties like Splinter Cell and PoP it has schizophrenia. But you have to admire them, but also realize that its also their Achilles heel. This game as an RPG- It would be so fucked.

Floody

It being by the Black Flag team would have me hyped, but at the same time it being 3 times bigger than Black Flag's world does not, was kinda hoping they'd show restraint and not fall in to the usual AC problem of have a massive map with a 1000 boring things to do in it.

CrazyDude

That's certainly true, I was thinking pre-Ptolemaic for the time period.
According to the 4chan leaks, originally Greece was going to be a part of it, but was cut do to scale. Also in the 4chan leaks are talk about a new trilogy around this character. Kotaku also mentioned originally hearing it was going to be Ancient Rome, than they changed it. So it's possible we might get Ancient Rome and Roman Greece in another game.

Matt

According to the 4chan leaks, originally Greece was going to be a part of it, but was cut do to scale. Also in the 4chan leaks are talk about a new trilogy around this character. Kotaku also mentioned originally hearing it was going to be Ancient Rome, than they changed it. So it's possible we might get Ancient Rome and Roman Greece in another game.
Or pre-Ptolemaic Egypt, Alexandrian Greece, Republican Rome?

Making the world bigger doesn't sound exciting at all. The previous games already had way too many things to do. What could they off added or changed for this to make sense

RedSwirl

And yeah, Ubisoft should have spun off Black Flag as its own franchise of pirate games a long time ago --- completely unrelated to AC. They figured out a pretty good engine for getting naval combat to work in a console game. It also turns out naval piracy is a pretty good fit for the Grand Theft Auto framework. Black Flag, when you ignored the Assassin's Creed part, was basically Grand Theft Pirate Ship (there were some similarities to Elite too).

There are other eras of naval piracy Ubisoft can exploit here.

ironcreed

Banned
I was playing Syndicate tonight and it dawned on me how much I miss Assassin's Creed. It needed the break, but I am definitely ready for a new one.

Sande

Yeah that sounds way too large for its own good. Maybe they mean 3x the land area of Black Flag.

Edit: Actually, that makes this whole thing sound fake. Everything else is kinda fluff and this one concrete detail sounds completely asinine.

KahooTs

I remember playing Black Flag and thinking how much better the game would be if the world was three times bigger.

No I didn't.

Toa TAK

Banned
Black Flag team doesn't exactly inspire any confidence considering Black Flags was the wasteland of the series. Wide open, boring ocean and the cities and major hubs sucked.

It's the least "AC" AC game, and for some that's great but as someone who is a huge fan of the series Black Flag felt like a letdown beyond Freedom Cry

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Egypt settings seems pretty sure at this point. Wanted this setting for the series since the beginning.

Please be good, please be good.

KillLaCam

Banned
The darker skin bullet point is weird to me. You're in Egypt, of course you'll have darker skin . That should be common sense. That shouldn't be a thing that needed to be mentioned

Sounds cool though. Im glad their going back to more interesting times though. Ezio's stuff was cool and 3 had cool Templar's . But I got tired of dirty western cities where everyone had British accents because of 3, Black Flag, Rogue and Unity. I was super confused that the French company didn't get French sounding actors in Unity. Syndicate was fun but I only played half of it because it was basically the same setting as Unity but in actual Britain.

I really hope that everyone in the new game wont sound British .

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The darker skin bullet point is weird to me. You're in Egypt, of course you'll have darker skin . That should be common sense. That shouldn't be a thing that needed to be mentioned

Sounds cool though. Im glad their going back to more interesting times though. Ezio's stuff was cool and 3 had cool Templar's . But I got tired of dirty western cities where everyone had British accents because of 3, Black Flag, Rogue and Unity. I was super confused that the French company didn't get French sounding actors in Unity. Syndicate was fun but I only played half of it because it was basically the same setting as Unity but in actual Britain.

I really hope that everyone in the new game doesn't sound British .
Not really, I'm of Egyptian heritage and I'm white, my mother is olive skined and that is the trend through her family too
Being Egyptian doesn't mean one colour or dark skinned, most where different shades of colour including black.
So it's not obvious really but it is strange they pointed it out.

"The world is over three times larger than that of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag"

Hmm. I wonder if they mean in terms of landmasses or total area (including seas). Because if it's the latter and it doesn't have sailing that sounds godawful. Please Ubisoft don't double-down on 'bigger open worlds is better'.

Otherwise, sounds interesting. Hope it's a significant series refresh and they change up a lot of systems.

The darker skin bullet point is weird to me. You're in Egypt, of course you'll have darker skin . That should be common sense. That shouldn't be a thing that needed to be mentioned.

Not at all, Egyptians on average has even lighter skin that most middle-eastern.

Fbh

With how Ubisoft designs their games and sidecontent the whole comment about it being 3 times bigger than Black Flag just sounds worrying.

I'd like to belive that since they have taken their time it's going to be filled with awesome exploration and Witcher 3 style sidequests.

But I fear it will just be 10X more towers and enemy territories to capture and half a billion collectables to find

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I'd like to belive that since they have taken their time it's going to be filled with awesome exploration and Witcher 3 style sidequests.

But I fear it will just be 10X more towers and enemy territories to capture and half a billion collectables to find

Well, there is this. "Actions speak louder than words" and all that, granted, but I wouldn't write it off as Slightly Adjusted Ubi Open-world Game #x just yet.

danmaku

"The world is over three times larger than that of Assassin's Creed: Black Flag"

Hmm. I wonder if they mean in terms of landmasses or total area (including seas). Because if it's the latter and it doesn't have sailing that sounds godawful. Please Ubisoft don't double-down on 'bigger open worlds is better'.

Otherwise, sounds interesting. Hope it's a significant series refresh and they change up a lot of systems.

It makes little sense because the world of BF wasn't a single map, every big city or island was a separate map with a loading screen. It looked big on the map screen but not everything was actually accessible for exploration (Cuba had only Havana and a handful of other small forest areas, iirc).

The praise for Black Flag boggles my mind. Especially if it's coming from the same folks who've lambasted the series for the very things BF is guilty of in troves. The game is basically "tail mission" the game. It has a goddamn checklist attached to a button, replacing any other useful gameplay action so you can have an insta-checklist for your collectathon.

And don't get me started on the actual Assassin's portion of the game being a completely unnecessary narrative.

Coffinhal

Making the world bigger doesn't sound exciting at all. The previous games already had way too many things to do. What could they off added or changed for this to make sense

You don't know at all what will be the level design but you're already critcizing how it is built. Strange.

The praise for Black Flag boggles my mind. Especially if it's coming from the same folks who've lambasted the series for the very things BF is guilty of in troves. The game is basically "tail mission" the game. It has a goddamn checklist attached to a button, replacing any other useful gameplay action so you can have an insta-checklist for your collectathon.

And don't get me started on the actual Assassin's portion of the game being a completely unnecessary narrative.

Please get started, the narrative fits perfectly both the story and the gameplay.

"Oh I didn't like this movie, sometimes the lighting should be green instead of blue !" That's the level of commentary that you have here, a tiny detail without any big picture considered

KillLaCam

Banned
Not at all, Egyptians on average has even lighter skin that most middle-eastern.

Not really, I'm of Egyptian heritage and I'm white, my mother is olive skined and that is the trend through her family too
Being Egyptian doesn't mean one colour or dark skinned, most where different shades of colour including black.
So it's not obvious really but it is strange they pointed it out.

Yeah but you're a slave working outside in the desert sun. Theres no way you arent gonna get dark . I know Egyptians have a bunch of skin tones. But if you're a slave working in that weather outside every day you're gonna be darker than someone like Ezio. There's pretty much no avoiding that.

I didn't mean black. I wasn't even thinking about that. I mean tan just because of who they're saying the character is. It would be weird to be a pale person in those conditions. People who work outside in the heat generally get darker. No matter what your normal skin color is.

hydruxo

And yeah, Ubisoft should have spun off Black Flag as its own franchise of pirate games a long time ago --- completely unrelated to AC. They figured out a pretty good engine for getting naval combat to work in a console game. It also turns out naval piracy is a pretty good fit for the Grand Theft Auto framework. Black Flag, when you ignored the Assassin's Creed part, was basically Grand Theft Pirate Ship (there were some similarities to Elite too).

There are other eras of naval piracy Ubisoft can exploit here.

Agreed. Really surprised they never did much more with the naval combat other than Rogue.

dex3108

Agreed. Really surprised they never did much more with the naval combat other than Rogue.

As far as i know Ubisoft Singapore who developed naval combat for ACIV works as lead studio on some game so pirate game is not out of the question.

Flipyap

It seems that all people can remember about that game are the boat parts (just not the boats-tailing-boats part). It's not all that surprising, since nothing you did on land in that game was remotely memorable.
Its ship mechanics and tech certainly deserve the praise, I just don't know how it can possibly be enough to excuse the worst mission design in a series that's already infamous for its, let's say, "uneven" mission design.

You don't know at all what will be the level design but you're already critcizing how it is built. Strange.

Please get started, the narrative fits perfectly both the story and the gameplay.

"Oh I didn't like this movie, sometimes the lighting should be green instead of blue !" That's the level of commentary that you have here, a tiny detail without any big picture considered

My issue is none of it is substantial enough to make this an "Assassin's Creed 4". I'm still bitter about their post treatment of AC3 and compared to 3, BF should have only been a side story.

Connor visiting the Caribbean per an invite from Aveline and coming across artefacts that allowed him to take on the role of the golden age pirates would have been much better if they wanted to do that so badly (and would have been better without blonde Ezio's story getting in the way). We'd get glimpse into the next step for the NA assassin's, closure for Connor, the natural expansion of the ship gameplay from 3 with the Aquila and crew, plus everything that made black flag what it was.

But that would have had no chance after AC3's reception, unfortunately. And even if they did, I doubt it'd be treated the same because of the protag. The fanbase cried for more Ezio and they got it.

Edit: besides, if the game had a decent narrative and added to the lore more effectively, I could have forgiven the lack of mission variety.

If the Back Flag team is really behind it than I'm at least interested.

Tail missions, boi! Hype.

Pretty excited about the Virtual Tourism in Ancient Egypt thing.

Map size sounds weird, though. I mean, I love a huge map in which I can lose myself and this sounds even more interesting with sand mirages and so. But at the same time, deserts are kind of featureless and to talk about a huge desert map is... not the greatest thing.

I'm still pretty optimistic about this, as they can fit a huge area with several interesting locales and ancient tombs and "dungeons" around. Traversing the Nile, finding some ruins and arriving to one of the big cities sounds amazing.

RedSwirl

It seems that all people can remember about that game are the boat parts (just not the boats-tailing-boats part). It's not all that surprising, since nothing you did on land in that game was remotely memorable.
Its ship mechanics and tech certainly deserve the praise, I just don't know how it can possibly be enough to excuse the worst mission design in a series that's already infamous for its, let's say, "uneven" mission design.

I pretty much ignored all the parts of Black Flag that were an Assassin's Creed game. To me it wasn't even Assassin's Creed. It was Grand Theft Pirate Ship wrapped up inside another mediocre Assassin's Creed game.

jdstorm

Banned
Wow people wanting another assassin's creed game what happened with unity??

It was a bit buggy at release and tried to integrate Microtransactions/Tie in app in an obnoxious overbearing way.

Later the game was patched and its mostly quite good. (Especially if you play it in french)

Eggbok

Wow people wanting another assassin's creed game what happened with unity??

Syndicate exists. I hated Unity with a passion, forced my way through it a week before Syndicate came out. I was like fuck this I'm done with Assassin's Creed but I decided to play Syndicate just to see how bad it could be.

Man I love Syndicate so much I got the Platinum trophy the week it came out. I had bought Unity when it released and could not get through it no matter how much I tried up until Syndicates release.

Krayz

Come on, man. Three times larger than an area we needed a ship to get around; are they going to give us an ancient Egyptian helicopter to get traverse this gigantic playable space?

I'm sure it'll most likely consist of barren deserts with nothing to interact with for miles.

Top Bottom