• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameStop sure seems to be pushing the Xbone hard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
He's actually a really nice guy. He likes to pull pranks and fuck with people. Still friends with him even though I don't work there anymore.

It was funny and horrible. Our back room stunk of shit from our bathroom and rotten food from the Subway next door. Customers had no idea.

ohhhhhh man bwahaha

Jeez I'm never buying a console at GS again.

Gunstar77

GAF Madden 2006 Season 1 NFC Champ
Well, hopefully this means we will see a price reduction or a pack in game before March when I plan on getting one for Titan Fall.

Man people are incredibly paranoid here.

Yes everyone, Gamestop and MS have clearly teamed up into an ultimate evil duo who will stop at nothing to destroy the only hope for gaming, Sony.

God help us all.

You seem to act like Gamestop doesn't talk to game companies at all.

There's LOTS of bidding wars at Gamestop for positioning of sections. The coveted front section is hot property.

Codeblew

Microsoft marketing dollars at work. At Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Target, Gamestop, and pretty much every other retailer the X1 is being pushed harder with in store displays than the PS4. Not really a surprise. I think the X1 display they have out is misleading though. It makes it appear that the X1 is a much smaller console than what it is in reality and they won't let you play games and just play a sizzle reel of games coming within the next year.

I work with buyers and merchandisers for a top US retailer and I disagree that this has anything to do with Microsoft $$$$$$. The District managers noticed that they are overstocked on XB1's so they told their store managers to push the product on their morning conference call. There really is no other reasonable explanation. Moneyhatting doesn't happen that quickly. Lawyers take their sweet as time. Wouldn't you if you were making a gazillion dollars an hour?

Armaros

If you were a store owner sitting on a large inventory of launch consoles that wont sell, you would want to find a way to get them out of the door as well.

You don't place your merchandise that constantly sells out front and center, people will just go straight towards it and avoid all your other products and people will ask for it anyway, you show what you want people to buy front and center.

DarkFlow

Banned
Trying to compete with Wal-mart and all the stock they have. I took this yesterday, plenty to go around!
07Xq9eo.jpg

Also that controller does jack shit. It's that fake half Xbone that only plays videos.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Trying to compete with Wal-mart and all the stock they have. I took this yesterday, plenty to go around!
07Xq9eo.jpg

Also that controller does jack shit. It's that fake half Xbone that only plays videos.

Is that a day one edition at the end there?

NeoGash

07Xq9eo.jpg

LOL I love how there is so much Xbox stock that it invades the Playstation territory lol. Oh my god, so tragic.

Yeah, it is. Still, the policy is different now.

It wouldn't have been different if the entire gaming consumer base had not rejected it wholesale. They even had all the game 'journalists' toeing their company line. They would have absolutely gone through with it if they thought they could get away with it.

corporate tells them the basic layout of the store which is often "sponsored" from what I've heard.

THIS.

Asst. Manager at my Mission St. Gamestop in San Francisco told me MS payed for a prominent layout in their stores. Nothing sinister, just business.
Google how items in supermarkets are displayed (promo dollahs).

As for the handmade signs, I'd bet there are district contests/mandates/sales goals for clearing out XBone stock.

Striek

Seems like a smart thing to do, push consoles that are in stock.

At this point I wonder if the XBOnes January sales might be Wii U level territory. They're clearly going to be baaaaaaaad.

Soupstorm

Neo Member
But there was never such a policy. A company that will be selling them should have known that.

It's not about the company, it's about the consumers. There's a lingering perception based on what MS said they were going to implement around E3, and much like the WiiU's perception problems, PR has yet to solve it.

I think it's simply a matter of supply. They have Xbone's to sell, they don't have PS4. My local Target has had a bunch of Xbox One's for sale several times since before Xmas. And on those occasions, I've seen exactly 0 PS4's in stock.

Sobriquet

It's not about the company, it's about the consumers. There's a lingering perception based on what MS said they were going to implement around E3, and much like the WiiU's perception problems, PR has yet to solve it.
Yeah but he was talking about GameStop corporate. They should've known better.
You do know what happened with Xbone DRM only happened earlier this year? It's a bit early to start trying to revise history don't you think?
Of course. Not sure what you think I'm revising, though?

Armaros

I was going to say. Most of the misunderstanding came from those trying to defend the policies.

Or vague promises from Microsoft to explain all of the systems they were going to use later.

Anyone that believed that developers and publishers were going to allow microsoft to share their games between 10 people for the sale of one... I have a bridge to sell you.

It wouldn't have been different if the entire gaming consumer base had not rejected it wholesale. They even had all the game 'journalists' toeing their company line. They would have absolutely gone through with it if they thought they could get away with it.

Yes, I'm very much aware of this. What's your point?
I'm saying that even though the policy is gone, many still believe that it is not.
It's a shame that Microsoft tried to do such a stupid move, but it is also disappointing to know that many might be ignoring the console for stuff that isn't there anymore.

FTF

The employees were probably annoyed having to explain it 900 times.

If they were annoyed having to explain something over and over again, the sign would read: "yes, the xbox one does really cost $100 more and no, we don't have any PS4s left" :p

I work with buyers and merchandisers for a top US retailer and I disagree that this has anything to do with Microsoft $$$$$$. The District managers noticed that they are overstocked on XB1's so they told their store managers to push the product on their morning conference call. There really is no other reasonable explanation. Moneyhatting doesn't happen that quickly. Lawyers take their sweet as time. Wouldn't you if you were making a gazillion dollars an hour?

This has been going on before the systems were even out. There was more signage in stores for preorders(Wal-Marts around me had X1 things on each register and a sign at the front mentioned preordering one while the ps4 just had a sign in the electronics area). It has nothing to do with sales as the X1 is actually selling well in the US atleast through Christmas. Microsoft just flooded the US with stock while neglecting the rest of the world. I think they are going to have trouble once PS4 is readily in supply though.

Striek

Ah, interesting. I guess I was wrong. Apologies. Can you imagine the blowback if a particular publisher didn't support used game sales?

Even if they all supported it thats hardly "support for used games" as we all currently enjoy with the new (old) policies.

Thats not you being able to play used games. Thats the ability to sell your game licence at certain retailers, if publishers let you. Or you could give it to a friend...who had been on your friends list...for more than 30 days... again if the publishers let you... and he couldn't ever give it back or ever give it to anyone else.

Compare and contrast to doing whatever the hell you want with your game like you get now, not having to give authorised retailers a cut, letting as many people borrow your games as you want, buying and selling from anywhere, the ability to rent games etc. etc.

There is a reason why those policies combined with always-online caused such a massive shitstorm. They fucking sucked.

Replicant

Because Microsoft has overloaded every store with units. And demand is not as high as expected.

That makes sense. There's no point in stuffing the stock room with unnwanted goods. Better sell them quick while everyone is in their spending mode.

should troll them.

Did You know
- ps4 does all that too for 100 dollars less and will actually have games besides generic shooters.

Cheech

Wonder how they're going to price the inevitable Titanfall pack-in edition. I am thinking huge "INCLUDES TITANFALL!" stickers plus copies of the game shipped to the thousands of systems sitting in warehouses by spring.

At least this scenario is still rosy compared to the mess Nintendo has on it's hands.

Sobriquet

Even if they all supported it thats hardly "support for used games" as we all currently enjoy with the new (old) policies.

Thats not you being able to play used games. Thats the ability to sell your game licence at certain retailers, if publishers let you. Or you could give it to a friend...who had been on your friends list...for more than 30 days... again if the publishers let you... and he couldn't ever give it back or ever give it to anyone else.

Compare and contrast to doing whatever the hell you want with your game like you get now, not having to give authorised retailers a cut, letting as many people borrow your games as you want, buying and selling from anywhere, the ability to rent games etc. etc.

There is a reason why those policies combined with always-online caused such a massive shitstorm. They fucking sucked.
Agreed. I railed against the DRM just as hard as everyone else. The biggest bummer to me was no rentals.

The worst is Microsoft still blaming us for "not understanding" the benefit of these policies and it's clear they will try to bring them back again if they gain a sizable install base.

Yeah, the policies sucked for those interested in the traditional disc model for Xbox games (which is a lot of folks). For those already interested in digital licensed purchases for Xbox games and/or discless play, it was a step up in some ways, since the current status quo with digitally licensed games is zero trade ins, only one store to buy games from, and large, sometimes slow downloads for people with bandwidth caps and/or slow internet. Those specific factors would have been addressed under the proposed model.

NeededSleep

Business pushing merchandise... sounds about right to me. At this point if people still have an issue about a policy that wasn't implemented it's hard for me to consider said individual rational. Drm isn't an issue...time to get over it and enjoy the great games and fun times with your friends on xbl.

=/
Competing with Gies for a job I see.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
That sign is amazing.

"Come on everyone! Buy an Xbone! It's awesome, I swear!"

I think the X1 display they have out is misleading though. It makes it appear that the X1 is a much smaller console than what it is in reality and they won't let you play games and just play a sizzle reel of games coming within the next year.

I hate that thing; it's completely misleading like you said. I thought they were just hiding half of the console inside the back of the display, but nope... it's actually a custom made model that cuts off half of the console to present it as smaller than it really is.

Of course it doesn't let you play games - it isn't a real fucking console! And then they have the gall to attach empty controller stands to it as if the controllers just aren't hooked up... fucking sham.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom