• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cliffy B says things about microtransactions

TaroYamada

The TF2 comparison is invalid for two major reasons, 1. It's free 2 play, 2. every single piece of DLC for the game, that I've seen, can either be earned through playing the game or else it's purely cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay.

The time wasted on adapting games for microtransactions is what kills me. The new Sim City would have been a much better game if they spent their time on the game itself instead of how to monetize certain features/items...

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I agree with the blog post %100 but thats what we hardcore gamers do: Hating on everything that may change our gaming status quo.

F2P is here to stay.
And yeah Valve has better PR than EA for sure.

EDIT: Oh and if you're making a fighting game PLS HIRE ME!

JackDT

Don’t get me wrong – I’m a huge fan of Gabe and co most everything they do. (Remember, I bought that custom portal turret that took over the internet a while back and I have friends over there.) However, it blows my mind that somehow gamers don’t seem to get that Valve is a business, just like any other, and when Valve charges 100$ for an engagement ring in Team Fortress 2 it’s somehow “cool” yet when EA wants to sell something similar it’s seen as “evil.” Yes, guys, I hate to break it to you, as awesome as Valve is they’re also a company that seeks to make as much money as possible.

They’re just way better at their image control.

There are different kinds of micro-transactions. The type EA is speaking of in the recent article is the kind that lets you to 'get to a higher level' in a game. Is the game really boring and way too grindy? Well it wouldn't be if you put in just a few dollars more... Think of mobile games already like this. They make the game worse just so you pay to skip the bad parts. Think of powerups that cost real money in Popcap's latest Bejeweled version and then are used up after a single game. Good luck beating your friend's score without them.

With Valve, almost every item that costs real money is cosmetic. In Dota 2 it's 100% cosmetic. You can't buy a super token in Dota 2 that lets you get gold at twice the normal rate for a single game. Valve maintains the integrity of the game design.

Do Zynga’s practices often feel sleazy? Sure. Don’t like it? Don’t play it. Don’t like pay to win? You have the freedom to opt out and not even touch the product.

A healthy, competitive market is one where consumers loudly tell their friends how much they think product X sucks, not just quietly avoid buying it. Bitching on the internet is part of an efficient market.

That said, I will concede that if Deadspace 3 is as bad as it gets... I wouldn't have a big problem with it.

DocSeuss

TOO BAD MOTHERFUCKER!

Keep talking. Your ideas interest me.

But, uh, what about those of us who spend money on things that don't have microtransactions? Yeah, if people can buy things, someone, somewhere, is going to do it (see: random stuff on Amazon), but the affect it has on the product isn't necessarily beneficial.

Dead Space 3's a great example of this. The weapon pool is diluted significantly because of the weak crafting mechanic. It detracts from the game. The only reason it seems to exist is so that the game has microtransactions. Granted, there were worse problems--the narrative didn't deliver, the pacing bogged down a lot near the end, and so on--but microtransactions altered the core of the experience, even for those who didn't partake (the stress of inventory management? gone! four guns? Adios!).

I'll buy the games I want, sure. Personally, I think I'm done buying EA games. I had no problem with Gears 3's skins, because they were skins.

I'd prefer it if designers focused on making the best game possible, and it feels like people are instead choosing to make a good game that follows whatever the latest trend is.

Bleh, I'm in class. I was working on a longer, similar post a few days ago. I'll finish that up and post it here at some point.

sometimes i read cliffyb's words of wisdom like "dlc can be good if it's not bad" and "sequels have to be sort of the same but they can't be too different either" and "video games stories are dumb" and it's like he's Mr. Miyagi and i'm daniel-san and then when i'm playing video games it's like i'm crane kicking bad ideas in the face (karate is like wisdom in this analogy and also real life)

The TF2 comparison is invalid for two major reasons, 1. It's free 2 play, 2. every single piece of DLC for the game, that I've seen, can either be earned through playing the game or else it's purely cosmetic and has no effect on gameplay.

I think his larger point is whether the items can be earned in game or not. People are still forking over cash hand over fist for TF2 items.

Jb

Well this sure was a thought provoking and insightful piece.
I kinda wish we didn't need to have a thread everytime Pachter, CliffyB, David Cage or Kojima said something.

Slow day I guess.

He's right...but people are still greedy, other people complain about it on forums...and usually still spend money on the shit they complain about. The world keeps turning.

ibun

Clifford Unchained.....
Just imagined a cross between Clifford the big red dog and Django.

Anyway he really does end it with what everyone has been saying for ages, we all vote with our dollars. And if the masses are all for micro transactions there isn't much we can do.

sure we all vote with our wallets but that doesnt mean people really want it, but they tend to overlook since the pieces are so cheap. 99cent there, 1,99 here, 0,79 over there. pack of soda is more expensive they think. People also dont want to get fat, they do some exercises but later on they still get a slice of pizza, fries, a burger, some sweets, chocolate, etc. because its all so little and they dont do it often, the chocolates were on special sale buy one get one free.

I don't think anybody who dislikes DLC would disagree that companies exist to make money or that people spend money on things they like... those generally aren't the arguments people make against microtransactions. A lot of people get upset about microtransactions for (perhaps naive in this day and age) reasons like "it hurts the experience" or "it takes away from the feeling that I bought a complete product."

MrDaravon

He doesn't address AT ALL the shady shit that has been done

He doesn't talk about games being released incomplete. He doesn't talk about Season Passes that don't pan out. He doesn't talk about content being removed from the game to act as DLC.

There is a reason that no one complains about The Walking Dead and having to pay for each episode.

We're not stupid Cliffy.

I agree with his general sentiment, but you raise the counter-point that I would have above.

Also the attitude of "if you don't like it don't buy it" is completely valid, but if it's something you care about (games) you also have the right to have an opinion about it because it affects the industry as a whole. Take Capcom adding cross-region play and off-screen gameplay to Monster Hunter 3 for Wii U because everyone complained about it; if everyone had just said "well fuck that game" that wouldn't have been done (unless you are super jaded and believe Capcom intended to do that all along and are just spinning this for PR).

RoKKeR

And my day was just made. Fucking hilarious surprise-post by CliffyB.

I actually agree with him on a lot of things concerning microtransactions. He brings up a lot of great points.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Valve has PR?

If they did, the whole Steambox thing wouldn't be the confusing fiasco it has been since emerging in the public eye. But yeah, I think in some cases, no PR is better than whatever it is EA pays those people for.
Well maybe Community Management is a better term?

Krabboss

The only times microtransactions have bothered me in major retail games is when it feels like they've replaced stuff you used to be able to work for and unlock. I like fuckin' around trying to unlock a stupid costume or gun.

NZNova

Cliffy is 100% right in this post. The fundamental issue is that a lot of gamers will complain about the actions of publishers but not so many will actually take the step of making a stand by putting the credit card away and not buying a game they want because of something objectionable about the publisher's actions.

Insert 'boycott modern warfare 2 steam group' image here.

CliffyB

Playah
Do any of you fuckers still actually play games, or do you just hang out here all day long and play digital fantasy football with the industry? :)

Duxxy3

jennifer-lawrence-middle-finger-flash-in-oscars-press-room.jpg

pahamrick

I get where Cliffy is coming from, and I've been a fan of his since way back when I used to check his CliffyB's Ownage site for UT and such. However, as been stated, it's the shady shit that annoys me to no end.

For example, From Ashes for ME3 or some of the Season Passes that ends up screwing consumers. I'm the first to admit I have no problem dropping a few extra dollars for added value content, but don't fuck over the day 1 buyers for a quick buck. Don't you want people to drop the full $60 for a game, instead of waiting weeks and months, or buying used?

DocSeuss

Just because I don't have a job and I'm sleeping until noon every day doesn't mean I no longer care about my first love...video games.

Hey, don't rub it in.

You could get a job in video games at the drop of a hat if you decided you wanted to. Today, I had to make the painful decision to give up, because I can't afford the cost it takes to break in. :\

Do any of you fuckers still actually play games, or do you just hang out here all day long and play digital fantasy football with the industry? :)

I spent an hour playing Teleglitch's demo last night. Yes.

Soulflarz

Banned

erm i go on here when im in class, because we use digital textbooks...and my classes are easy as hell so yeah. :D
i do game a lot though

Coolwhip

Banned
No one seemed too upset at Blizzard when you could buy a pet in World of Warcraft – a game that you had to buy that was charging a monthly fee.

You might want to edit that part Cliffeh. Because there were massive meltdowns when the first paid mounts and pets got sold in Wow.

TheOddOne

I play Halo with a Master Chief helmet on, all day. Tried to eat popcorn, can't seem to figure that one out yet.

Top Bottom