• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Medal of Honor Warfighter review codes being sent on day 1?

Sethos

Banned
The point that they have no confidence in their game and that they want to mislead the public which this might be proof of? Yes. That might be the reason. There could be different reasons for it. The reviewers complaining about it on the other hand just seem entitled.

Reviewers pointing out something for the gaming public, that isn't common and actually makes the entire situation extremely dodgy and a poor PR stunt = complaining. I can see they a livid about not getting this AAAA title a few days in advance, so they can write a review for our benefit.

I swear, some people ...

The point that they have no confidence in their game and that they want to mislead the public which this might be proof of? Yes. That might be the reason. There could be different reasons for it. The reviewers complaining about it on the other hand just seem entitled.

You think they should have access to it and get to complain about it?

Reviewers getting this game early is beneficial to the rest of us. They get to tell people if it's garbage before it comes out.

When companies intentionally don't send those early copies it is a very bad sign of the game's quality and it's shitty that the publisher wants to hide that fact from consumers. So journalists "complaining" are actually just giving the rest of us a heads up that the game probably sucks, because they're not sending those early copies.

Joni

Reviewers pointing out something for the gaming public, that isn't common and actually makes the entire situation extremely dodgy and a poor PR stunt = complaining. I can see they a livid about not getting this AAAA title a few days in advance.

Reviewers getting this game early is beneficial to the rest of us. They get to tell people if it's garbage before it comes out.
Isn't common? There are even games for which publishers will never send out review copies. If consumers are basing their decision on certain reviews, the absence of those reviews should be a big enough sign. Compared to publishers linking review scores to embargo dates this is very tame. If a consumer wants to make an informed decision he still can, he just won't buy the game at launch. The fact that they themselves immediately claim this is a bad sign about the quality of the game, is not very objective and just seems a lot like complaining. A simple statement without any 'judgement' on the game would have informed us equally well about the lack of reviews.

Entitled that they want to do their job? I'm out.
Doing your job and expecting a game to be delivered on a nice silver platter on time for your embargo are two different things. Nobody is stopping them from doing their job.

Nizz

I dunno. This is basically the equivalent of a movie not holding advance screenings for the press.
Pretty much. Get some asses in movie theater seats and grab that money before people who may not be on top of things like that find out the movie's shit.

People are confusing release day embargos w/ no reviewable copy.

COD, Rockstar, and Bethesda almost always do embargos till launch day or the day before but the outlets have all played the game. Not providing the reviewers with a copy of the game before launch is really really suspect.
Exactly. This type of thing tells me EA are not confident enough that the final product can stand on its own. I mean, they've attached another beta invite for another Battlefield game with MOH:W as an extra incentive to pick it up soon.

Kinyou

I wonder why magazines/websites are cool with that.

Imagine if all of them would boycott EA because of this. EA wouldn't really have a choice but to give in.

iNvid02

this is EA's plan, they're not very confident about how MOH-WF will perform so they withhold review copies. reviewer expectations (and everyone else's) drop drastically. when they finally get to see the game they're pleasantly surprised.

IM ON TO YOU

nonono

this is EA's plan to ensure the game doesn't get lost in the shadows of the november games. by giving it to reviewers last minute, reviews will get delayed and come out several days after, thus keeping MOHWF in the spotlight alongside the big november games.

IM ON TO YOU

Sethos

Banned
nonono

this is EA's plan to ensure the game doesn't get lost in the shadows of the november games. by giving it to reviewers last minute, reviews will get delayed and come out several days after, thus keeping MOHWF in the spotlight alongside the big november games.

IM ON TO YOU

Was that a rectify quote or did you just quote reply yourself?

I had MOH 2010 two weeks early on PC and consoles for review. I also was one of the few reviewers who got Battlefield 3 the Thursday afternoon before release.

Other fall examples:

- I played Halo 4 at a review event two weeks ago, and expect a retail copy Monday.
- I've had AC3 for three weeks.
- We should have NFS:MW next week.
- The review event for Black Ops 2 is next week.
- I got Skylanders Giants last Saturday.
- We had XCOM three weeks early.
- I had Dishonored for 8 days before embargo.

The only day of copies so far this fall WRT retail have been 007 Legends, Doom 3 BFG, and now Medal of Honor. I've actually never played Medal of Honor: Warfighter in any capacity, so I don't know how it is. But it is unusual for us to get it this late.

Cool info. Thanks for the write up

Deadbeat

Banned
The reviewers complaining about it on the other hand just seem entitled.
just wow.
I had MOH 2010 two weeks early on PC and consoles for review. I also was one of the few reviewers who got Battlefield 3 the Thursday afternoon before release.

Other fall examples:

- I played Halo 4 at a review event two weeks ago, and expect a retail copy Monday.
- I've had AC3 for three weeks.
- We should have NFS:MW next week.
- The review event for Black Ops 2 is next week.
- I got Skylanders Giants last Saturday.
- We had XCOM three weeks early.
- I had Dishonored for 8 days before embargo.

The only day of copies so far this fall WRT retail have been 007 Legends, Doom 3 BFG, and now Medal of Honor. I've actually never played Medal of Honor: Warfighter in any capacity, so I don't know how it is. But it is unusual for us to get it this late.
Now this is interesting.

Dibbz

Battlefield 3's review copies were also sent out late because they ran right up to the deadlines at DICE.

The game has been playable at a few different events so it's not like they are trying to hide it.

Sissel

It's probably because the game is terrible, like other people in this thread mentioned. The MP Beta was some 4/10 stuff and EA isn't cool with scores lower than 7/10 spreading around on release day.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Yep. Game probably sucks.

And LOL at the "game journalist entitlement" folks posting in here. I'm as e-tough on game writers as anybody here, but making sure reviewers don't get a look at a product before people can put down money for it is much more anti-consumer than it is anti-reviewer.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist

And LOL at the "game journalist entitlement" folks posting in here. I'm as e-tough on game writers as anybody here, but making sure reviewers don't get a look at a product before people can put down money for it is much more anti-consumer than it is anti-reviewer.
Why? Consumers can always wait a few days. But it's going to be a race to get the first reviews out.

Especially when there are preorder bonuses and limited edition copies at release.

Gamespot (Kevin VanOrd) also have confirmed this.

WKJP5.jpg

Which just means no well-known game site gets to do a review of this until the game comes out.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Doing your job and expecting a game to be delivered on a nice silver platter on time for your embargo are two different things. Nobody is stopping them from doing their job.

Sending a game the same day/day before embargo is EXACTLY stopping someone from doing their job. 90%+ of review hits happen a few days before/after release.

Ask anyone at GB/IGN/polygon the following scenario.

1. All games cost 3 X retail but you get code for anything you buy 3 weeks before embargo.

2. All games are free forever but you only get them 2 days before embargo.

Basically any experienced reviewer would go with #1

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I have such serious disdain for game reviewers... I support any move, within reason, that screws them over.

Megasoum

Banned
They did this for BF3 also so it might just be a trend for EA

All the hype around BF3 came from the multiplayer Alphas and Betas (which was really good). The reviews didn't add much for the multi and basically just added the SP portion of the review which was kinda bad...

EA wanted to ride the MP hype wave coming from the Alpha/Beta and sweep the sp under the rug.

I don't know if they're attempting the same strategy with MOH but afaik the mp beta didn't exactly create a ton of hype lol.

I'm happy that I'm getting the game for 10$ which is mostly for the BF4 beta anyway.

sp3000

All the hype around BF3 came from the multiplayer Alphas and Betas (which was really good). The reviews didn't add much for the multi and basically just added the SP portion of the review which was kinda bad...

EA wanted to ride the MP hype wave coming from the Alpha/Beta and sweep the sp under the rug.

I don't know if they're attempting the same strategy with MOH but afaik the mp beta didn't exactly create a ton of hype lol.

I'm happy that I'm getting the game for 10$ which is mostly for the BF4 beta anyway.

Where did you find it for $10? Was it that origin deal with premium?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I have such serious disdain for game reviewers... I support any move, within reason, that screws them over.
Technically, everyone that has ever posted impressions of a game is a game reviewer. There's not some Guild of Game Reviewers out there for you to rage against.

LuchaShaq

Banned

Sorry that reviewer X hated your favorite game Y and reviewer T said your favorite game K sucked.

If you don't like reviewers don't read reviews and you never have to deal with them.

Polk

I wonder if any (well lesser known because I don't think major outlets would ever to this) sites use pirated copies for easy hits.

Why? Consumers can always wait a few days. But it's going to be a race to get the first reviews out.

There is no way you're a Gaf member and naive about the sales curve of games, especially games of this ilk. A game like this will not be relevant a month from release. EA knows this, which is why they're selling their game the week that they are.

This is shady. This is also bs. It's anti consumer, it's anti press, it's manipulative, it's transparent.

And, as mentioned before but needs to be said again, this scenario here is different than bf3's because dice, at the time, was scrambling just to finish the game. That is also shady as hell, but shady on a more dire, more forgivable and less manipulative level than flat out denying review copies of a game that is finished, gold and printing.
These things do happen, but they are NOT common for a major game release...at all. I have no idea where people got the idea that it is.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
There is no way you're a Gaf member and naive about the sales curve of games, especially games of this ilk. A game like this will not be relevant a month from release. EA knows this, which is why they're selling their game the week that they are.

This is shady. This is also bs. It's anti consumer, it's anti press, it's manipulative, it's transparent.

And, as mentioned before but needs to be said again, this scenario here is different than bf3's because dice, at the time, was scrambling just to finish the game. That is also shady as hell, but shady on a more dire, more forgivable and less manipulative level than flat out denying review copies of a game that is finished, gold and printing.
These things do happen, but they are NOT common for a major game release...at all. I have no idea where people got the idea that it is.
Mainstream consumers are more than happy to close their eyes and open their mouth. But I'm talking about what smart consumers would do.

Joni

A much more respectful way to say it. No statements about the quality of the game, just short to the point.

Sending a game the same day/day before embargo is EXACTLY stopping someone from doing their job. 90%+ of review hits happen a few days before/after release.
Their job is reviewing the game. They can still do that. When a gaming site doesn't get a review copy at all, they just do it after the release. Yes, it is bad for people who want the game and can't see if the game is worth it before launch day, but it doesn't impact a journalist in his work. It isn't the PR company's responsibility to make sure a journalist gets his hand on the game. They want a journalist get his hands on the game for their work. Review copies don't exist to help you make a informed decision.

I always see people complaining about game journalism not being honest, being in the pockets of the gaming industry. Well, for this game they could prove they aren't by using their own copies for completely honest reviews.

Orca

Their job is reviewing the game. They can still do that. When a gaming site doesn't get a review copy at all, they just do it after the release. Yes, it is bad for people who want the game and can't see if the game is worth it before launch day, but it doesn't impact a journalist in his work. It isn't the PR company's responsibility to make sure a journalist gets his hand on the game. They want a journalist get his hands on the game for their work. Review copies don't exist to help you make a informed decision.

Reviews won't be ready for launch. How does that NOT affect them? And yes, it is PR's responsibility to get review copies out. For some guys at this point in the year that's the bulk of what they do. And what are review copies for if not to help people make informed decisions?

I always see people complaining about game journalism not being honest, being in the pockets of the gaming industry. Well, for this game they could prove they aren't by using their own copies for completely honest reviews.

These same people are always the ones who never bother to look outside their little world and realize that there are many reviewers who get free games but still deliver completely honest reviews.

LuchaShaq

Banned
A much more respectful way to say it. No statements about the quality of the game, just short to the point.

Giving a review about a game a week+ after release is the same as me putting on a tv show analyzing the 2005 superbowl. Pointless and noone cares at that point.

Joni

Reviews won't be ready for launch. How does that NOT affect them? And yes, it is PR's responsibility to get review copies out. For some guys at this point in the year that's the bulk of what they do. And what are review copies for if not to help people make informed decisions?
- Because they can still write them after launch.
- PR's responsibility is to promote the game, not help journalists.
- Review copies are there in the hopes that the scores can be used to promote the game. That is why a game will often have a sticker saying this site gave it a 10/10 and not quite often saying a game has a Metacritic score of 75% with that one 10 being an outlier. PR don't only have to sell fantastisch games, they also need to sell good, mediocre and bad games. Fantastic games you can sell with reviews, others not so much.

DTKT

- Because they can still write them after launch.
- PR's responsibility is to promote the game, not help journalists.
- Review copies are there in the hopes that the scores can be used to promote the game. That is why a game will often have a sticker saying this site gave it a 10/10 and not quite often saying a game has a Metacritic score of 75% with that one 10 being an outlier. PR don't only have to sell fantastisch games, they also need to sell good, mediocre and bad games. Fantastic games you can sell with reviews, others not so much.

Well, in a way, promoting the game is helping journalists do their job with reviews. Sites like IGN and Kotaku have massive amount of traffic and getting a good review there can't be bad.

If you have no reviews at all, you are either extremely confident in your product, or you don't want the bad press a few 6 or 7s would get you.

daevv

No review copies and day 1 sales/deals at retailers (Walmart, EBGames/Gamestop, and Origin) has to confirm the worst.

Joni

Well, in a way, promoting the game is helping journalists do their job with reviews. Sites like IGN and Kotaku have massive amount of traffic and getting a good review there can't be bad.

If you have no reviews at all, you are either extremely confident in your product, or you don't want the bad press a few 6 or 7s would get you.

Indeed, which is the reason why review copies and movie screenings and the likes exist. But even then PR companies still like to steer it in a way they can control and use with embargoes, games that need to be played at location, ...

No review copies and day 1 sales/deals at retailers (Walmart, EBGames/Gamestop, and Origin) has to confirm the worst.

Even if the EA was confident in the game, the deals at launch could be a strategy to push as many units as possible before Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 release.

BlazinAm

Even if the EA was confident in the game, the deals at launch could be a strategy to push as many units as possible before Halo 4 and Black Ops 2 release.

This is probably true, I remember Battlefield 3 being a game that discounted before Black Friday.

test_account

XP-39C²
I wonder why magazines/websites are cool with that.

Imagine if all of them would boycott EA because of this. EA wouldn't really have a choice but to give in.
Why boycott though? That means less clicks/views because of less reviews. And this is one isolated case, doing anything now wont help anything for this one game. They get to do the review now anyway.

Top Bottom