• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

German Federal Elections 2017 |OT| Electing the new leader of the free world

afd is not openly campaigning for germanexit though only for keeping foreigners out (incl. german citizen)

1.2 Zurückführung der Europäischen Union in einen Staatenbund souveräner Staaten

Das bestehende „Lissabon-Europa” ist daher zurückzuführen zu einer Organisation von Staaten, die auf der Basis völkerrechtlicher Verträge ihre Interessen und Aufgabenwahrnehmung definieren. Nicht rückholbare Souveränitätsverzichte der Staaten dürfen mit einer solchen Konstruktion nicht verbunden werden. Ähnlich wie heute im Vertrag über die Europäische Union (EUV) in Art. 50 vorgesehen, behält sich jeder Staat ein Austrittsrecht vor.

Sofern eine solche Konzeption mit den derzeitigen Partnern der EU nicht einvernehmlich auszuhandeln ist, ist Deutschland gezwungen, dem Beispiel Großbritanniens zu folgen und aus der bestehenden EU auszutreten. Die Schaffung neuer überstaatlicher Vereinbarungen bleibt vorbehalten und wird aufgrund nationalstaatlicher Souveränität erst ermöglicht.

https://www.afd.de/wp-content/uploa..._AfD-Bundestagswahlprogramm_Onlinefassung.pdf

The army of bots and such is open again on social media I guess? A quick look at things like Merkel and Duitsers (Germans) on Twitter - both trending topics here - are and endless list of AfD propaganda and bitching about Merkels immigration policy and the EU.

So you supported the candidate of the joke party. Very big difference, indeed.

In a few years, you'll hopefully remember how you threw away your vote for a joke nobody will ever hear on the day facists and nazis were voted back into German parliament.
Well done.

Not worse then voting for them directly, but not much better either. And I like the jokes of PARTEI.

edit: you only used your first vote? Well then, that's marginally better. Very marginally. Still far from helpful.

Voting for Die Partei with your first vote has exactly no negative consequences, as long as you're not coincidentally living somewhere where the AfD is close to getting the plurality. And to saying it's just a joke party: That party is pretty much the sole one who is doing anything whatsoever against voting apathy in Germany. Which becomes increasingly important as the population gets more older.

This reminds me of that idiotic Niggemeier article.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Voting for Die Partei with your first vote has exactly no negative consequences, as long as you're not coincidentally living somewhere where the AfD is close to getting the plurality. And to saying it's just a joke party: That party is pretty much the sole one who is doing anything whatsoever against voting apathy in Germany. Which becomes increasingly important as the population gets more older.

This reminds me of that idiotic Niggemeier article.

I don't see it. I fully support the PARTEI and I love their political work between and before elections. They do a great job cutting through a lot of bullshit in everyday politicals and of course extremist advertising. They're a fantastic and helpful addition to Germany's political climate.

They also are a joke party and they shouldn't be voted for in a serious manner, because they take away the important votes of intelligent, young men and women who don't agree with right-wing bullshit from actual legitimate parties, giving extremists a better vote outcome.

They are incredibly important, but not as an actual party to vote for.

I don't see it. I fully support the PARTEI and I love their political work between and before elections. They do a great job cutting through a lot of bullshit in everyday politicals and of course extremist advertising. They're a fantastic and helpful addition to Germany's political climate.

They also are a joke party and they shouldn't be voted for in a serious manner, because they take away the important votes of intelligent, young men and women who don't agree with right-wing bullshit from actual legitimate parties, giving extremists a better vote outcome.

They are incredibly important, but not as an actual party to vote for.

Well, as I implied, I would also give a bit side eye to people using their second vote for it. Not in these times.

I disagree though that they're not electable at all, in absence of a threat like the AfD they might be. I would certainly be curious to see 4 years with them in the Bundestag. I'm not sure of it either, but I would like to see it.

Dr.Phibes

Did my part. As a plus, our Wahllokal is a cozy Gaststätte that always smells of Gulasch and Rotkohl. Köstliches Gulasch...

Edit: #fuckafd

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Well, as I implied, I would also give a bit side eye to people using their second vote for it. Not in these times.

I disagree though that they're not electable at all, in absence of a threat like the AfD they might be. I would certainly be curious to see 4 years with them in the Bundestag. I'm not sure of it either, but I would like to see it.

Yeah, without an _actual_ threat like this year, I wouldn't be opposed. I even would like to think they could do some good in the Bundestag, some of'em have a great grasp on politics and the peoples' voice.
This year isn't the time for it though.

Does Germany have exit polls and if so when can we expect them?
Greetings from the Netherlands..

Quoting this helpful post from Irminsul:

For people from abroad following the election, these are the important times:

1800 CEST / 1700 BST / 12 PM EDT / 9 AM PDT

Polling stations close, first exit polls are released (the important ones are by ARD and ZDF)

~1820 CEST / 1720 BST / 12:20 PM EDT / 9:20 AM PDT

First projections based on real voting data are released. This is followed up by new projections at irregular intervals throughout the evening, but there definitely will be another one at 1900 CEST.

~2000 CEST / 1800 BST / 2 PM EDT / 11 AM PDT

If it's not extremely close (obviously w.r.t. who won), it should be clear by then which coalitions are possible and which aren't. Also, this isn't just purely maths, because if the SPD loses a lot, they'd probably disagree to another coalition with the CDU even if possible.

~2200 CEST / 2000 BST / 4 PM EDT / 1 PM PDT

The preliminary end result is released; there probably won't be any changes from this point on.

I should go to the polling station soon.

Germany seriously needs a better mantra to combat voter apathy than "vote for legit parties (like the Greens pffff haha) to keep the nazis at bay!" Its not exactly super effective, really.

1.2 Zurückführung der Europäischen Union in einen Staatenbund souveräner Staaten

Das bestehende „Lissabon-Europa” ist daher zurückzuführen zu einer Organisation von Staaten, die auf der Basis völkerrechtlicher Verträge ihre Interessen und Aufgabenwahrnehmung definieren. Nicht rückholbare Souveränitätsverzichte der Staaten dürfen mit einer solchen Konstruktion nicht verbunden werden. Ähnlich wie heute im Vertrag über die Europäische Union (EUV) in Art. 50 vorgesehen, behält sich jeder Staat ein Austrittsrecht vor.

Sofern eine solche Konzeption mit den derzeitigen Partnern der EU nicht einvernehmlich auszuhandeln ist, ist Deutschland gezwungen, dem Beispiel Großbritanniens zu folgen und aus der bestehenden EU auszutreten. Die Schaffung neuer überstaatlicher Vereinbarungen bleibt vorbehalten und wird aufgrund nationalstaatlicher Souveränität erst ermöglicht.

https://www.afd.de/wp-content/uploa..._AfD-Bundestagswahlprogramm_Onlinefassung.pdf
well its not germanexit its „well we want to reform the eu and if its not possible we want germanexit”
Germany seriously needs a better mantra to combat voter apathy than "vote for legit parties (like the Greens pffff haha) to keep the nazis at bay!" Its not exactly super effective, really.

seems like its working though, no?

iidesuyo

I live in a small village with ~250 people inhabitants (before the reunification, there were about 700).

Last elections we had exactly one vote for the Greens, and everyone knew who she was, because she was promoting the party (obviously she was not successful). Also three votes for the NPD, most could guess who they were. Those three local Nazis.

Pennywise

They're gonna roast themselves anyway.
The party was already split and had plenty of turf wars among themselves. This isn't gonna stop and their gonna fall apart just like the pirates after they suprisingly mobilised more protest voters than they imagined.

You already get a pretty good impression from those AfD cunts that got voted into some state parliaments. Ongoing discussions, no clear concept or leadership.
Even if they get over 10% today, they won't repeat that during the next election.

Oersted

The army of bots and such is open again on social media I guess? A quick look at things like Merkel and Duitsers (Germans) on Twitter - both trending topics here - are and endless list of AfD propaganda and bitching about Merkels immigration policy and the EU.

If they would only bitch about the suffering of Greece, the money support of Erdogan, terrorists and Co, the wall and detention camps in Africa....

there is enough to critize. But bots evidently lack empathy.

Gin-Shiio

Alright, voting is taken care of. No waiting line where I went, but I live in a small rural village after all.

Some give me the short version of the explanation for the recent rise in AfD?

Merkel's immigrant policies have proven unpopular after it became apparent agencies did not know and still don't how to deal with the influx of immigrants. In addition to this, the media has been unwavering in its efforts to focus on crimes committed by a select few of the immigrants, painting the whole lot of them as undesirable. As a result, people fear that "we will lose our culture". Quoting my parents by the way.

Pennywise

Islamophobia and "loss of culture" fearmongering.

I've never understood what exactly there is to lose in German culture btw, it honestly needs all the foreign influences it can possibly get.

There are plenty of things to lose, but they certainly won't be lost with new influences.

In general Germany always had some kind of identity crisis to a certain degree.
There's a reason monuments started to pop up like firework on nears years eve, after 1871.
Starting to build a common "German identity" instead of clinging to the old federation of several states.

They're gonna roast themselves anyway.
The party was already split and had plenty of turf wars among themselves. This isn't gonna stop and their gonna fall apart just like the pirates after they suprisingly mobilised more protest voters than they imagined.

You already get a pretty good impression from those AfD cunts that got voted into some state parliaments. Ongoing discussions, no clear concept or leadership.
Even if they get over 10% today, they won't repeat that during the next election.

the 10% will allow them to get a lot of privileges and first and foremost a lot of money

Pennywise

the 10% will allow them to get a lot of privileges and first and foremost a lot of money

Yup.
There will be plenty of disgraceful things.

Speeches by AfD people within the parliament, money for the party and privileges, influence they will make use of.

However, I rather see them now and let them finish themselves off or splitting into several small fractions instead of being a big part of the next election.

Especially with Merkel gone the next election and the parties shifting their targets and destinations, I rather not have AfD interference on the current level.

Yup.
There will be plenty of disgraceful things.

Speeches by AfD people within the parliament, money for the party and privileges, influence they will make use of.

However, I rather see them now and let them finish themselves off or splitting into several small fractions instead of being a big part of the next election.

Especially with Merkel gone the next election and the parties shifting their targets and destinations, I rather not have AfD interference on the current level.
or they use that money and influence and get more than 30% next time. looking at history it does not look like germans are immune to nationalistic propaganda..

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
I'm so jealous of you guys. At least for you it's over today. I still have to endure over two weeks of cringe-worthy, embarrassing and distasteful campaigning over here in Austria before we elect an Ohrwaschlkaktus or something even worse.
Urgh.

Pennywise

or they use that money and influence and get more than 30% next time. looking at history it does not look like germans are immune to nationalistic propaganda..

Humanity will always be prone to propaganda, and nationalistic propaganda is sadly pretty effective as it's been proven pretty often :(

But I doubt that there will be reason, that would lead to such a massive improvement of 15-20% more votes.
Neither do I believe that they will stabilise their leadership or all those small fractions that constantly expose their party even further.

They peaked already. Refugee crisis happened and all the bad things AfD fearmongered with didn't happen, and it's slipping from public conciousness. Add to that them being in the Bundestag not changing anything in the next four years and they'll lose even more.

As soon as the media catches up and notices nobody is gonna care about them anymore soon, they'll drop hard. 30% is out of the question, 20% is stretching it extremely. The highest I'd ever expect on a national basis is around 15%.

Oersted

FDP & Greens (And Linke?)

Die Linke keeps demanding it, yeah

They peaked already. Refugee crisis happened and all the bad things AfD fearmongered with didn't happen, and it's slipping from public conciousness. Add to that them being in the Bundestag not changing anything in the next four years and they'll lose even more.

As soon as the media catches up and notices nobody is gonna care about them anymore soon, they'll drop hard. 30% is out of the question, 20% is stretching it extremely. The highest I'd ever expect on a national basis is around 15%.

As long as fear of muslims sells, they will continue to get attention

Dehnus

Die Linke keeps demanding it, yeah

As long as fear of muslims sells, they will continue to get attention

Yup, people throw away the welfare state their ancestors fought for, the labour rights the unions died for.. only to get back at a few people wearing a headscarf.

If it wasn't so damn sad, it be hilarious how they cheer in a conga line.. right towards their grave; blaming minorities with each step.

Top Bottom