• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic the Hedgehog Community Thread |OT3 & Knuckles|

A jolly Beefmas Christmas to you all, somehow i've ended up with painting utensils despite having no painting related skills, things are gonna get messy at some stage.

Well, I did my GotY post, so hurry up and get to it Schala/Anihawk/Nocturnowl/etc.

Sonic Lost World just missed the cut
It's like an extra Christmas gift on this morning, great to finally read your thoughts on TLOU because if you ever dropped any elsewhere I never saw them.

Mine's coming together, I'm just having the ol' mental block between this and the soundtracks of the year stuff.

Razzer

Well, I did my GotY post, so hurry up and get to it Schala/Anihawk/Nocturnowl/etc.

Great great stuff there. I have only played your number 1 but I got super mario in the presents today and am planning on acquiring rising and 101 soon. Loved the detail you put in, you can tell you thought about it to a greater extent than just regurgitating buzzwords.

Merry Beefmas, all.

Bought Pokemon X this past week at the urging of some friends and have been sucked into that Pokemon vortex all over again. It's great.

qq more

I bought one of my brothers Pokemon X and he's so excited to try it out, he's kind of lapsed Pokemon fan, as in he hasn't gotten into Pokemon since Gen 2 (he did enjoy Soul Silver though).

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Merry Christmas and Beefmas, everyone. Happy birthday, Beef!

I... uh, just woke up. Gonna get started on Christmas dinner (ie: making it). I hope everyone's doing okay and having a safe day today whether you celebrate Christmas or not. :)

Haven't opened presents yet, obviously. My brother woke up earlier than I did and got the stocking stuffers I put in there, and he seems happy about them. I'd hope he is since I ran around the whole town looking for them yesterday!

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #90
Merry Christmas

Song: Merry Little Christmas
Game: NiGHTS into Dreams...
Composer: Tomoko Sasaki / Hugh Martin
Arrangement: Dale North

Merry Christmas, SonicGAF.
Yaaaay, you picked the OCR I expected you to pick. It's a great one. I haven't been able to post much this week, but I've enjoyed your Christmas selection a lot, Sciz. I appreciate the work you put into selecting these.

Seeing how it's actually Christmas here now, I enabled downloads.

p.s. GOTY is hands down Xillia.
Xillia 2's better. Though, uh, I still haven't gotten back to it yet. People will like the story, though. I like the story more, anyway. A lot of people did.

Anyway, finally getting around to listening to this now. Super-glad you expanded it from the trailer version with full lyrics, too. The vocalist has good diction, too. :)

(I know you wouldn't vote for Sonic Lost World :p)

Great list, and fantastic writeups, JC. Agree with the ALBW one completely. I read it yesterday but didn't have time to post about it here. I'd recently bought TLoU and I still need to get to The Wonderful 101 (which people picked for me to get to soon!). I'll post mine near the deadline as usual since I have a bunch of stuff to get to still. I'm going over Cheesemeister's spreadsheet and comparing the stuff I played this year with stuff I need to play still.

BlackJace

Hopefully I put some effort into my tome this year, I'm getting jealous of everyone putting out great works.
Also, I might put a mobile game of all things on my list. Times have truly changed.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm putting multiple mobile games on my list in some capacity, numbered or honourable mentions, lol.

I think it's mostly an inclination that they've gotten fairly decent.

Noi

Beat Batman Origins the other day. Outside of the bits with Joker and Bane, that game is mad boring.

Feliz Navidad duders.

PKrockin

Merrrrrry Beefmas!

KKwXtPR.jpg

ok i'm dead tired so i'm going back to sleep now

TheOGB

Banned
Merry Beefmas SonicGAF. Have a good day, eat some good food, and get some good rest from playing terrible games.

Merry Beefmas SonicGAF. Have a good day, eat some good food, and get some good rest from playing terrible games.

Somebody has to play them, so Schala takes it upon herself to play all the bad games of the world to warn people away. She's like the GAF equivalent of Batman.

She is the avenger of the night
The one who protects the naive citizens of Gaf
Come ye publishers of bad games, if you dare
You will find no respite as you are brought to justice

Razzer

Somebody has to play them, so Schala takes it upon herself to play all the bad games of the world to warn people away. She's like the GAF equivalent of Batman.

She is the avenger of the night
The one who protects the naive citizens of Gaf
Come ye publishers of bad games, if you dare
You will find no respite as you are brought to justice

You could even say she reduces the game's sales :p.

Komo

Banned
Adding onto the string of holiday-related posts

Merry Christmas, guys!
My ordered copy of The Complete Sonic Comic Encyclopedia arrived just in time. Must. Read. Now.

Razzer

Started up Super Mario 3D World today. Got to World 3 and I'm loving it so far. I was playing with my little sister and she actually squealed in delight when she found out you could be Peach. Levels are all really creative and clever so far. The cat suit is awesome, and my sister thinks it's adorable. Overall very positive first impressions. I was never really doubtful that this would be good enough for the GOTY list but now I know I have something to put it up to 3 games :p

Sciz

Why didn't Sonic Advance 3 get a proper soundtrack release? WTF

Preaching to the choir, man.

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #91

Song: Hidden World - Cubliclated
Game: Sonic Lost World
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani

Time for something completely different. Lost World represents Ohtani's largest body of work to date, and while not every track was a classic, I've come to enjoy how he put together an eclectic variety of music to match an eclectic game. He hit a number of styles that the series has rarely if ever explored before, like this old school dance groove.

I've also always liked songs with a steadily increasing tempo. It's enough to take an otherwise simple tune and transform it into something much more memorable and intense.

Razzer

SonicGAF's Song of the Day - #91

Song: Hidden World - Cubliclated
Game: Sonic Lost World
Composer: Tomoya Ohtani

Good old Ohtani, defender of drum kits everywhere. I swear he can fit them into every genre on the planet, and it always works. As for this song, specifically it's a fun little ditty. The increasing tempo is cool as you mentioned, and the synth is pretty good.I wish there was a little more meat to it though, it feels like it needs a new melody section in there, only for a little, to take it up a notch before coming back down again.

In other news I'm now at world 7 of Super Mario 3D world and it hasn't gotten any worse than before. The Beat Block was just as fun as it looked in the footage I've seen, and bosses have been pretty fun, with a special shoutout to King Kathunk, who I think is one of the better bosses I've seen in a mario game.

In other other news, I'm finding it increasingly difficult to make a post that explains why a game is great without blathering on about how it works when it is inherently strange to most posters on this forum. JC's writeup has at least given me some tips on how to write a good GOTY post.

OMG Aero

I feel like the OP for this thread is way too long.
In fact, I was looking at the miiverse community for that 3DS Sonic 1 port and found a post that sums up Sonic the Hedgehog as a character and series perfectly, I vote that the entire OP is replaced with just this post.
2QMYqV1.png

Razzer

I feel like the OP for this thread is way too long.
In fact, I was looking at the miiverse community for that 3DS Sonic 1 port and found a post that sums up Sonic the Hedgehog as a character and series perfectly, I vote that the entire OP is replaced with just this post.
2QMYqV1.png

I Yeah! this post.

Tizoc

If you don't mind me asking, what're your GotY candidates SonicGAF?

Mine atm include:
Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros.
Ace Attorney 5
Killer is Dead
Rayman Legends
Lost Planet 3
Castle of Illusion HD

Honorary mentions: Bravely Default (ordering it from UK come Tuesday) & Super Mario 3D World.

Regiruler

EDIT: Cubliclated? Eh, I prefer the regular-paced standard version used in (I believe?) in Zones 3 and 4. The increased tempo version just feels like it's trying to rush over itself and it's tripping in the process, while the melody itself is fine.

OT: who composed Dragon Dance?
Ask JC, I heard he loves Lost World.

Its lame, don't go for it at that price.

It's worth 49.98 and not a penny more.

AniHawk

i played gone home and the stanley parable (just finished gone home).

like the first sonic the hedgehog, they are very short games. unlike sonic the hedgehog, they are adventure games and don't star sonic the hedgehog. so ends my plea bargain with the good people at footlocker of rancho cucamonga.

the stanley parable is a lot of fun for me because the jokes are layered upon themselves. i love how it lampoons traditional video game storytelling and how a lot of times choice is placed as the best thing to do in games. i didn't quite understand what the developers were going for until a few playthroughs in. there's a sort of meta mystery about what is actually happening and it's delivered in an unconventional way.

gone home is a fairly straightforward point-and-click adventure game done in the first-person. a lot of the story is delivered through notes left around the house and exposition given by your sister through a voice over. i figured out most of the twists fairly early on, but it's the attention to detail that really gives the story depth. finding school assignments from your sister and how she discovers herself is a great way to flesh out the driving force behind the story. the mom and dad receive similar treatment (although i couldn't really make sense of the mom's story arc if there was one).

of the two, i agree with the stanley parable more. it feels like a fairly accurate and very humorous take on video game storytelling and the falseness of choice, and frustration on part of the game designer. i also felt like i was being played pretty hard for emotion in gone home. the stanley parable has by far the better voice performances, although gone home is by no means bad (just a little melodramatic in some ways). puzzles in both games are very simple, but they're integrated nicely and feel natural in their respective worlds.

...that said, i enjoyed gone home more. maybe it's the simplicity of the story supported with tons of effort on parts of the storyteller, and how much more difficult it would have been to do the same thing outside of a video game. it's a wholly traditional title that doesn't do a lot of new things, but does a lot of old things well.

Anth0ny

i think my top 5 is:

link between worlds
super mario 3d world
last of us
gta v
fire emblem awakening

working on the order. I'm also playing Bioshock Infinite right now, and loving it so far.

TheOGB

Banned
Of the 5 or 6 games from 2013 I've bought this year, Metal Gear Rising and A Link Between World are at the top. Only have a few more dungeons to go through, I have nearly every upgrade, and I'm having a great time. It is pretty darn easy, though I can tell part of that is because I played ALttP before it (and not long before either, it was like a week apart or less).

Metal Gear Rising, though... that was a wild experience. *nostalgic sigh*

FSLink

Banned
Most likely (no specific order):
The Legend of Zelda: Link Between Worlds
Super Mario 3D World
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Fire Emblem Awakening
The Wonderful 101

Honorable Mentions:
Pokemon X/Y
Pikmin 3
SMT4
Ace Attorney 5
Rayman Legends