• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The King of Fighters XIV |OT| ¡VIVA REY DE DINOSAURIOS!

BadWolf

what speed?

Via John Grimm from SRK:

Atma doing some quick and dirty side by sides showing off some of the speed increases included with version 1.1 of the game. Long story short for people who don't want to scroll through tweets, the game got MUCH faster, it's almost exactly in line with 98 frame data and some of the floatier characters even got jumps faster than what they had in XIII. Besides Atma's findings, there's tons of talk of walk/run speed increases pretty much across the board and general rebalancing to make some of the stronger characters less insane and some of the weaker characters more interesting/viable/gooder.

From Atma:

Every character I have tried so far is now FASTER. Both in movement speed and jumps, others reporting the same.

Loona

Didn't know they finally got rid of Playmore. Awesome.

If I understand it correctly, it's still their official name, they just dropped it from their branding. The weird "O" in "Playmore" apparently represented not the Earth, but some sort of pachislot token, so good riddance!

And I'd love to see the rest of what you wrote up, all I've seen are the snippets!

So what's the story about?

Back when KoF94 was released, one of the selling points was to have Fatal Fury and Art of Fighting characters share a game with mechanics based on both series. However, the game's opening put some extra focus on the Japanese team, whose lead character, Kyo Kusanagi, got to find the final boss, Rugal Bernstein (noted martial arts move thief and atypical bronze statue collector), had taken his father.

Later games would establish that Rugal had come across and gotten enhanced abilities from Goenitz, a representative of a clan associated with an ancient being known as Orochi.
In ages past, Kyo's ancestor had helped contain a prior attack from being with the help of two other clans, whose modern descendants are Iori Yagami (who has an irrational hate for Kyo, which is a bit of a family tradition) and Chizuru Kagura, who already lost her twin sister Maki to Goenitz - all three have special abilities derived from their lineage, like the Kusanagi flames, and with those powers comes the responsibility of keeping Orochi in check. That hasn't prevented the Yagami from having some shady history with Orochi, but that's a longer story.

Anyway, by KoF97 Orochi awakens and is sealed again by the combined efforts of Kyo, Iori and Chizuru, but in the aftermath of the battle Kyo is kidnapped by an organization known as NESTS, with some history in dabbling with robotics and genetic manipulation - seeing potential value in the Kusanagi genetic ability to use fire, they make the most of their shady acquisition and not only create an army of Kyo clones, they also graft his genetic material into test subjects to provide them with the ability to use fire, and somehow also manage to manipulate said genes to cause the reverse effect, applying the ability to create ice to a young girl.

Some of those test subjects like K' and Maxima escape and try to fight back, and NESTS trying to use the KoF tournament to gather data to enhance the combat abilities of its clone army creates ample opportunity for said test subjects to fight back against said organization, while an escaped Kyo also tries to get even. It follows that there's a lot of internal conflict at NESTS, and the sci-fi shennanigans end with the head of the organization crashing from space while everyone else tries to move on with their lives.

But game characters can't get nice things, so by the time there's a new tournament, some time travelers appear to be trying to unseal Orochi for their own purposes, while one Ash Crimson seemingly tries to help that plan succeed by trying to steal the special abilities of those who have sealed Orochi before - and succeeds with Chizuru and Iori. Orochi itself seems so threatened by the prospect of getting objectified that two of its own deceased people are brought back to life to stop this process, but the time shennanigans at work possibly help with this.
Much like how Orochi had a historical counter in families like the Kusanagi, these time travelers had one in the Blanctorche family, whose current descendant Elisabeth grew up with Ash and found herself having to stop him to uphold her duty.
Ash ultimately betrays those in worked for to protect Elisabeth, but since that involved stopping an ancestor of his, it now turns out who is this Ash person and why is Elisabeth so depressed? As history rewrote itself without Ash, Iori got a chance to decide whether to remain without his Orochi-tainted abilities, but decided to get them back.

Now there's:
- A new KoF organizer, Antonov, claiming to be the first KoF champion, despite being absent from anyone's memories of past KoF events, and he personally invited a group of competitors that include a former rejected NESTS test subject, and a shady figure who insisted on being invited, and succeeded because Antonov was quite willing to drag just anyone from the street to complete a team.
- A young man with seemingly demonic powers, Shun'ei, trying to learn to control his abilities, and doing so under the tutelage of SNK grandmaster from the Fatal Fury series, Tung Fu Rue; as Kyo, K' and Ash were series protagonists during 3-game Kof story arcs, it may be worth keeping an eye on Shun'ei, who is getting the same kind of focus now
- A group of women from very different time periods and worlds are chasing some threat all the way from their respective worlds.

Where things will go from here, we may find at the end of many a Story mode ending, and in games to follow.

So how's the online?
Hitting or miss. I personally haven't played it tet but some people suspect it has something to do with synchronizing problems. It has potential to be great but as is it's a little too inconsistent. I'm sure someone else can go into greater detail

Welp, my Premium Edition is out for delivery. Literally can not wait to dive in. The next few days will be rather unproductive.

gelf

Any idea how bullshit the bosses are in this? I do like playing single player but I'm wary of SNK boss syndrome stopping me from enjoying it.

Loona

Any idea how bullshit the bosses are in this? I do like playing single player but I'm wary of SNK boss syndrome stopping me from enjoying it.

Apparently that was more of an issue for arcade iterations, for arcade reasons - reports so far claim the bosses aren't to a full-screen attack level or anything like that. Still not sure if they'd be tournament material though.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
GOTY thread for GOTY game.

Loona,SAB CA and Tizoc you made the very best thread ever !!!
Really honored to be mentioned!!

I'm headed to a week 1 tournament this Saturday; with that in mind does anyone know of any good combo resources I could make use of? I'm specifically looking for Angel and Alice tech as I've already seen a good deal of Zarina and Geese stuff but virtually nothing for the former two.

sephi22

Ordered the Premium Edition from Amazon on Friday and it's out for delivery locally already (Los Angeles). Can't sleep in anticipation.

I have a question though, both Hellpockets in his article in the OP and LI Joe in his stream mentioned that Climaxes can be done raw or when cancelled from an EX super (level 2), but I'm able to cancel level 1s into climax in the demo for Kyo and Iori. Is this something that's been changed for the final build?

Zerojul

Nice OT, subscribed !!!
poor Joe
My copy should leave Japan anytime soon and wait for me in the mailbox when I come back from vacation, can't wait :) This and SFV will keep me busy for a very long time. Hope the netcode ends up being good.

gelf

Apparently that was more of an issue for arcade iterations, for arcade reasons - reports so far claim the bosses aren't to a full-screen attack level or anything like that. Still not sure if they'd be tournament material though.
As long as they are within my tolerance level I'll be fine. I can handle anything up to say SF Alpha 3 Shin Bison level of overpowered. Many SNK bosses have been beyond that which is why I'm wary.

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
Paid for my copy back in May. Tried to pick it up last night... gonna have to make it through the work day somehow. Today will be a looooong day.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
that Terry winquote against Nelson

he's really deadset on revealing King of Dinosaur's secret eh? XD

My package is coming directly from Amazon, rather than UPS or USPS. I wonder how long it'll take to get here. I hope it's not any later than like 12 or 1. Never received from AMZ_US before...

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I usually don't care for OT stuff...but man. That is amazing! LOL.

So how's the online?

"Hit or miss" is definitely a good description, as sir_bumble_bee said. The day one patch did nothing to address online issues. From my experience over the past week, it has been mostly bad connections and some really good ones.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Her legs look weird.

What about this Mai coming out next month on DOA5:LR tho?
0tilhoP.jpg

Skilletor

"Hit or miss" is definitely a good description, as sir_bumble_bee said. The day one patch did nothing to address online issues. From my experience over the past week, it has been mostly bad connections and some really good ones.

Fuck.

My.

Life.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act

As expected.

Man, i still have like 5 team endings to get and then only then ... TRAINING MODE!!!
Pretty hyped to "research" 50 characters!

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Any video footage yet? There should be an arcade location test soon, right?

I think tomorrow will be the location test in Japan. KT should release a gameplay trailer. At least we see on the latest screens they gave her her moves for sure.

BadWolf

Based on impressions. they are very tame on normal difficulty.

PSN saying it won't be available for download for 7 hours!? Wtf.

For me it said that it would be available for download on the 24th, was still able to pre-load. Just go to your download list and start it. Was able to download the main game and both pieces of DLC no prob.

Based on impressions. they are very tame on normal difficulty.

As a long time SNK fan, the footage I've seen of them feels underwhelming tbh. Dunno if that's just me not actually having the game or if they're really toned down this time.

As a playable character at least Antonov didn't feel immediately bullshit when I tried him at locals this weekend either.

BadWolf

As a long time SNK fan, the footage I've seen of them feels underwhelming tbh. Dunno if that's just me not actually having the game or if they're really toned down this time.

As a playable character at least Antonov didn't feel immediately bullshit when I tried him at locals this weekend either.

For competitive purposes we are expecting them to be balanced since we can't have a proper 50 character roster without them.

As bosses it probably depends on what difficulty you play on, the normal/default difficulty seems to be set to be very accessible. Higher levels though can be a pain, to the point where they singled out the culprit in an interview:

For anyone wondering who made the horrifically old-school-SNK CPU algorithm in KOFXIV when its difficulty is set to Lv5, it's (Seiji) Andou's doing.

TreIII

Great OT, guys! Really hope my copy is able to be in my inbox today, as I NEED more of my Dinosaur as soon as possible!

OT makes me want New Face Team back

I do too. But if it's any consolation: a number of interviews have stated that they're always considering means to bring back those characters. And if at least one particular ending in the game is anything to go by...

"Dead" characters may indeed have more of a chance of coming back to life. Either because of what Verse has already done, or because his death/destruction may directly cause such things.

Top Bottom