• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch has destroyed me

I‘m addicted to this game and nothing else compares. I try getting away from it by buying other games but I‘d always let them collect dust and play some OW matches instead. It‘s Action non-stop, it always demands my attention, it‘s 80% fun and I sometimes die of laughter. 300h and it doesn‘t get boring in the slightest.

Do you also have a holy grail game?

the1npc

Early TF2. Overwatch can scratch many of those itches especially playing the dwarf reminds me of the engineer

Linkark07

Banned
World of Warcraft and Dota 2.

In the case of the former, repetition killed it for me. And the latter, the toxic attitude of the community and the fact that I couldn't get a proper team helped me get over my addiction.

I also had an addiction to Overwatch too, but my friends stopped playing and I did the same.

Levito

Banned
When I was in Jr. High I was so addicted to Diablo 2 that I almost failed every single course I was taking.

Look Hell Meph runs+Pindleskin were addictive ok

DrArchon

Previously Dota 2. I put 1800 hours into that over 2 years before I quit cold turkey.

Now it's just any new mainline Monster Hunter game.

antitrop

I play Overwatch every day and I've barely played any other games in the last year and a half because of it. I will absolutely force myself to make some time for Wolfenstein 2 at the end of this month, though.

WoW. I always go back to it, and when I do I ignore everything else for weeks-months. I thought Overwatch was going to replace it but thankfully I thought it was boring. I am too afraid to try again just in case it works this time.

Yup dota 2 was like crack to me. Valve fuck it up by patching it with all these new shit. God Bless you valve for saving me! Now I play all kinds genres/games in my backlog.

xviper

Overwatch has taken over every other MP PVP game for me, i'm not addicted to Overwatch, i usually play 2 hours a day

when i buy a new game, like BF1, play few matches, get bored and come back to OW, it's just too damn good that it makes other MP games bad, i used to enjoy a little bit of Destiny 1's PvP, now i can't even stand playing 1 match of Destiny 2 PvP all because of how good OW is

to minimize the effect of OW, don't play MP games, play SP games

Ionic

Early TF2.

Nothing will ever compare to those first 4 or 5 years of TF2 with a vibrant community server to log on to every night. It was just the peak of enjoyment in an online FPS. Overwatch is nice though. It got some of my friends into online shooters which is great.

300h?

*snort*

vILaHYT.png

Admittedly a lot of that time has been keeping the game open in the backround too.

I don't even want to know how much time I have spent on WoW over the years, especially during Vanilla.

CSGO used to do this to me
Pubg currently does this to me

I have made a vow not to play either solo though, opting instead to play single player games when my friends aren't around.

Duxxy3

300 hours is just a drop in the bucket. You've got a long long way to go until you can say you're destroyed.

Grisby

It would be Overwatch but I force myself away so I can play other games. I come back for the events and some weekends pretty hard though.

Dark Age of Camelot: Shrouded Isle, Armsman.
Dark Age of Camelot: Catacombs, deathsight Necro.

Lost days to those expansions.

Currently it's Planet Coaster's sandbox mode.

I spent a solid year playing nothing but DMC 3, the PC version with the shit framerate. Not for a lack of games too. And CS has been my online drug for time immemorial.

PetrCobra

My post history must look like an Itagaki stealth account by now, but mine was Devil's Third, specifically Siege mode. Or it would be, had they implemented a way to block mercenaries for team kill, and maybe with a few patches for better stability. And a bigger playerbase. But it definitely was close enough and I might never play a game quite like it ever again.

I know that feeling all too well. Built a PC to play lots of games. As soon as I did my placements in OW, OW is all I can play. I placed Gold, and told myself as soon as I hit plat I could move on. But now I’ve got to hit Diamond. I already played the hell out of this game on console, even hitting Master- but I want to get there again on PC.

2k + hours on Rocket League and not slowing down one bit. It’s my go to game fit any occasion. When I want to relax, when I want to screw around ir fo full try hard.

Guess Who

Banned
TF2 back in its heyday (08-11), Final Fantasy XIV today.

I tried to get into Overwatch to see if it scratches that TF2 itch but it doesn’t in the slightest for me.

dcx4610

Wow for sure. These days I’ll play an expansion, get bored, quit and come back for the new expansion. I felt the itch recently due to the new content, played for a bit and immediately regretted it. I felt lost and felt like I had missed too much to get caught up. A week later, I’m playing it every day for at least 1-2 hours.

Never has there been a game that is consistently as fun as WoW. If you get bored of the high end stuff, there’s nothing as satisfying and relaxing as starting a new character and leveling. I just can’t see the game ever getting old. The fundamentals are so rock solid.

I‘m addicted to this game and nothing else compares. I try getting away from it by buying other games but I‘d always let them collect dust and play some OW matches instead. It‘s Action non-stop, it always demands my attention, it‘s 80% fun and I sometimes die of laughter. 300h and it doesn‘t get boring in the slightest.

yep. I can't believe i'm still playing overwatch after a year.

Not only do i not normally like online-only games, but to play it this long??

i'm the same, buying a new game and still going back to play more overwatch than the new game. I'm also at 300 hours. Perhaps the 500th will get boring? lol

Tabasco

I wish I was addicted to Overwatch, but I can't play the game for more than a few hours at a time, and I don't even play every day.

Mr YuYu

I played overwatch for over 250h. No interest for other games but last month I suddenly got tired of it. It can't hold my interest anymore.

Still got more than my money's worth!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
It was Overwatch for me, too. About 200 hours or so in the game.

About two months ago I posted a new thread that I quick cold turkey because of the awful community. Shame, because I agree with a lot of your points.

guyssorry

Souls/BB.

Aside from Nintendo games, they're all I think about playing. They're so refined, have a perfect level of difficulty, and contain zero bullshit. I need more of them.

karnage10

Banned
I liked overwatch, the lack of respect of the community during most matches kill it for me.
In quick play there is 0 cooperation.
In mystery heroes people don't use voice chat at all.
In comp people just either want to play meta, be aggressive towards each other for no real reason or just don't change a char that is being countered left and right.

I don't think there is a game mode where you can play the game right which led me to just quit.

My experience in on PC, European servers, I was a diamond and have around 200h.

IMO games like total warhammer, crusader kings, cook serve delicuous are much better then OW because they work both in COOP and SP while OW can't get the game in a satisfying state.

I put 4000 hours into DotA 2, but I put even more into DotA 1.

Overwatch though made me quit DotA. I don't play OW much lately, but it reminded me that I don't have to play a 45-hour long game with toxic teammates when I could instead play a game that's 10-15 min long.

Memnoch

I feel this exact same way about Battlefield 1.

RRockman

Banned
Used to be tf2. Put 300 hours in and eventually stopped playing because I actually wanted to get something done in life. Coming back to a leveling system and experience points was ROUGH

Mesoian

538 hours. 7 away from 2000 wins.

I like this game a lot.

It helps that I have a group of friends that allows me to never have to deal with randoms if I don't want to.

It has varied over the years, but right now it's Total War: Warhammer (1 or 2). For some reason the process of managing armies, infrastructure, and long-term goals is hard for me to put down. The variation between factions and leaders gives a whole lot of replayability in the sandbox campaign, which is where I spend the vast majority of my time.

I've spend way more time with both games than I ever would've guessed. Combined I'm at about 350 hours, and it's going to go way above that as new campaigns and factions come out (or I decide to return to old ones).

Previously, TF2 was my jam. I spent hundreds of hours without even realising it; unfortunately the free-to-play update kinda killed it. I ejoyed 24/7 2fort or arena, and they just haven't been the same since then. I really miss it... but at least Plunkbat is there for my arena needs.

DoctorManhattan

Neo Member
When dayz mod came out I was unemployed so I spent around 7 hours a day playing for about a year.

Now I work full time but I always go back to R6S. I have almost a thousand hours in it.

Fancolors

I have something around 2000h on TF2. 2009 was a great year.

Nothing came closer to that, maybe Ragnarok Online but I have no way of checking how many hours I logged into that and the many now defunct private servers it spawned.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
WoW vanilla and TBC. It was kind of insane how much it took over mine and some friend's lives starting with the beta and then that glorious first couple years. Just insane.

We check in with the expansions now but all fizzle within a week or two. Just isn't the same at all. The progression is vapid and pushes you to the endgame fast. There is little satisfaction in exploration or overcoming challenges until raiding or whatnot, and well the game now prioritizes very little of what we adored about the launch period despite many of the other things it does well. It's such a flattened progression that it may as well be just a giant walking tour until the endgame.

Still, those memories of the early years aren't going away.

shaneo632

I don't think I've ever been able to relate to this. I can't think of any game I want to play for hundreds of hours. I just have to move on and play something else, especially now I'm an adult and have more limited time.

I basically like to play less of more games, if you get me. For me a lot of time was like 130 hours in SW: TOR.

Top Bottom