• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Odyssey Official Website Live, Confirms Location (CAUTION SPOILERS)

Hmm... I don't want to see the standard NSMB world themes of Grass, Desert, Snow, Beach, Forest, Mountains, Sky, Lava and Star in the games. Even in 3D World those themes seemed to keep showing up.

And it looks like Odyssey is bringing a fair number of them back as well on that list.

Hope they are doing something fun with them if it is repeating all the old themes.

Those aren't even just standard NSMB themes, those are classic Mario themes present in like every platformer ever dating back to at least SMB3. But they do have new stuff too, like Bonneton, New Donk City, the food kingdom, plus whatever else they haven't revealed yet.

The palm trees is the kingdom with the islands in poison water that was shown in the direct.
Right exactly, and it hasn't been officially revealed yet as it is absent from the website and the list in the OP. Sorry if I wasn't clear with what I meant!

By far the most important thing about this announcement is that we now have a good basis for guessing where Mario Tennis Advance Power Tour takes place.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I do wonder if we'll see some of these Kingdoms expanded in future games---imagine if the next NSMB-style game had these Kingdoms serve as the worlds?

the map was shown but I don't remember Peach's Castle being on the map.

As for the Forgotten Isle, it's not a major kingdom so all the side/secret areas aren't displayed here.

What? We have nothing pointing towards it not being a major kingdom other than "it looks small". It has moons, side areas of its own, its own set of regional coins, its own sticker, it's mentioned on equal footing with other location names on the sphynx riddle, it was mention as a kingdom in the direct right after Snow/Seaside... even if it's a smaller kingdom, like Cascade (which only has 50 regional coins), I don't think that'd be the reason for it not being on the map, because Cascade is also labeled! (And Cap is too, despite being even smaller on our first pass.)

We still also have two stickers that don't have any kingdom associated with them yet, besides any post game stuff. But the map is already cluttered as is, so I don't think they'll update it either way.

As for the Forgotten Isle, it's not a major kingdom so all the side/secret areas aren't displayed here.

Forgotten is presumably meant to be... forgotten.

It's also right between
Steam Gardens and NDC
so I think
Bowser will interrupt their flight and Mario falls/crash lands in Forgotten Isle

Neoweee

Hmm... I don't want to see the standard NSMB world themes of Grass, Desert, Snow, Beach, Forest, Mountains, Sky, Lava and Star in the games. Even in 3D World those themes seemed to keep showing up.

And it looks like Odyssey is bringing a fair number of them back as well on that list.

Hope they are doing something fun with them if it is repeating all the old themes.

The worlds are big enough for there to be overlap, etc. Cascade Kingdom is Grass, Mountains, Forest, and Water. It is the Urban area (New Donk) that is the most Sky themed. Lost Isle is Poison, Beach, and Tropical Forest. The Forest area is also the dilapidated Industrial area, and the dark cave area. Lake and Beach kingdoms both have tons of water. The Star level is probably technically a moon, and the Desert area also has a lot of cold themed areas.

The worlds are big enough for there to be overlap, etc. Cascade Kingdom is Grass, Mountains, Forest, and Water. It is the Urban area (New Donk) that is the most Sky themed. Lost Isle is Poison, Beach, and Tropical Forest. The Forest area is also the dilapidated Industrial area, and the dark cave area. Lake and Beach kingdoms both have tons of water. The Star level is probably technically a moon, and the Desert area also has a lot of cold themed areas.

There's some interesting cross over things going too with an NDC cab stuck in Sand Kingdom for some reason, and that T-Rex showing up in other places, not sure what's going on there.

spad3

While I will not be disappointed at 10 worlds + moon, I refuse to believe they have revealed all of the worlds before launch.

There are still areas on the map that are very obviously designed to look like objects (palm trees, bat wing) that have no levels revealed or associated with them yet, and I can't imagine a Mario game without a spooky world/level. Even Sunshine had a haunted hotel.

(and no, Bonneton does not count, that's a world built around the game's main hat gimmick, not a classic Boo-filled ghost house level)

The key difference to take note is that Kingdoms amount to larger regions - or "worlds" as you say - whereas there may be smaller side-areas that are available to explore outside the 10 main "worlds." The Palm Trees, Bat Wings, and Forgotten Isle may be part of these side areas that aren't necessarily part of a "world" but still exist on their own. We may have levels associated with those areas that aren't revealed yet, but they're not one of the larger Kingdoms (even though that bat-wing is huge).

The key difference to take note is that Kingdoms amount to larger regions - or "worlds" as you say - whereas there may be smaller side-areas that are available to explore outside the 10 main "worlds." The Palm Trees, Bat Wings, and Forgotten Isle may be part of these side areas that aren't necessarily part of a "world" but still exist on their own. We may have levels associated with those areas that aren't revealed yet, but they're not one of the larger Kingdoms (even though that bat-wing is huge).
What exactly points to this besides the Forgotten Isle not being labeled on the map? Because the Palm Tree Islands (which are the same as Forgotten Isle) were introduced as a kingdom on the direct, have their own set of regional coins, their own color of moons, their own side areas, their own sticker, and we already know Kingdoms have different sizes in the first place, with Cascade only having 50 regional coins.

It may be smaller, but I haven't seen anything that points to it not being a main level at all.

spad3

What exactly points to this besides the Forgotten Isle not being labeled on the map? Because the Palm Tree Islands (which are the same as Forgotten Isle) were introduced as a kingdom on the direct, have their own set of regional coins, their own color of moons, their own side areas, their own sticker, and we already know Kingdoms have different sizes in the first place, with Cascade only having 50 regional coins.

It may be smaller, but I haven't seen anything that points to it not being a main level at all.

When was it mentioned on the direct?

I'm betting that Delfino is the post game that Edge mentioned in their review. Probably a vacation that Peach and Mario decide to go on where she plays a more significant role that was also alluded to. Maybe Mario ends up controlling her through Cappy or something... lol

I really do wonder if that lava world seen in the Japanese commercial is its own stage or is just a side level on the moon like the ice levels are in Tostarena.

I'm betting that Delfino is the post game that Edge mentioned in their review. Probably a vacation that Peach and Mario decide to go on where she plays a more significant role that was also alluded to. Maybe Mario ends up controlling her through Cappy or something... lol
My guess is
we'll explore Mario 64 worlds as Peach

When was it mentioned on the direct?

https://youtu.be/EKWBv-djiKk?t=2m22s
They show Snow, Seaside, then "More Kingdoms to visit, including Tropical Islands". We later matched these tropical islands to the Palm Tree Landmass in the globe (they're surrounded by purple, poisonous water), discovered the location name "Forgotten Isle" from a Sphynx Riddle on Seaside, and then saw a Location Sticker for it on a clip of the odyssey in the official site. We don't know the Kingdom's name yet, but "Tropical Kingdom" seems like a given.

forgottenisle.jpg

The same clip that revealed this sticker also showed two stickers that don't match any other kingdom yet.

They show Snow, Seaside, then "More Kingdoms to visit, including Tropical Islands". We later matched these tropical islands to the Palm Tree Landmass in the globe (they're surrounded by purple, poisonous water), discovered the location name "Forgotten Isle" from a Sphynx Riddle on Seaside, and then saw a Location Sticker for it on a clip of the odyssey in the official site. We don't know the Kingdom's name yet, but "Tropical Kingdom" seems like a given.

The same clip that revealed this sticker also showed two stickers that don't match any other kingdom yet.

...if it's a FORGOTTEN Isle, why does it have merch...?

mas8705

So is this to say that the Mushroom kingdom is really tiny in comparison to the rest of the world? Or is that to say that the world that the Mushroom Kingdom is in is the size of Jupiter considering that there is so much to the kingdom that you'd think it would have a bigger landmass than that?

ubiblu

As others have pointed out, we are aware of at least two other locations based on Japan train station ad (Spoiler) and most recent intro video (Forgotten Isle). That list is clearly non-exhaustive. In my mind, we are missing up to 2-3 locations, giving us a total 14-15 kingdoms.

spad3

Interesting that they'd call them kingdoms but not have them labelled on the map. I hope they release an updated version of this map with all the locales on it.

Zelda has DLC so I fully expect it here. Honestly if the base game feels like I'm getting the full $60 experience, I don't mind if they tack on $20 in DLC for some extra suits and a new world or two.

I really don't see why this game would need DLC seems pretty huge already.

Zelda had what seems to be a very expensive production I can kinda see why it needed DLC and it seems the story DLC has been quietly delays since it should have been a Holiday 2017 release and they have not hinted a a release date yet.

I would like SMO to be a complete game upfront I really don't like seeing Nintendo trending down the path of DLC

I also hope they would have announced DLC by now and not just announce it later.

Zelda has DLC so I fully expect it here. Honestly if the base game feels like I'm getting the full $60 experience, I don't mind if they tack on $20 in DLC for some extra suits and a new world or two.

That's a different team, though.

For example, both New Super Mario Bros. games released back in 2012 had DLC packs/expansions, and yet 3D Land and World didn't. Perhaps it's not something the 3D Mario team is comfortable with doing.

That's a different team, though.

For example, both New Super Mario Bros. games released back in 2012 had DLC packs/expansions, and yet 3D Land and World didn't. Perhaps it's not something the 3D Mario team is comfortable with doing.

speaking of which Captain Toad should have been 3D World DLC they kinda spun that off

Menitta

Boy is that site hard to navigate lol.

That's awesome! I really hope, as others have said, we get Isle Delfino.

Forkball

Pure speculation, but some people are suspecting 15 kingdoms in the game based on how much space the Odyssey has for stickers.

tumblr_owfxbl2NUs1rrftcdo3_500.png

In the September 13th Nintendo Direct, new footage of Super Mario Odyssey was shown. Among it is a shot of Mario’s flying ship, the Odyssey, decorated with stickers. As has been shown in previously released footage, each kingdom Mario visits has a Crazy Cap store, each of which sells one sticker for the Odyssey. As the Odyssey must be able to accommodate all stickers, we can speculate on the number of possible kingdoms by looking at how much space there in on the Odyssey’s hull and the size of each sticker. On the bottom, I have circled each spot where a sticker could be put based on where the existing stickers are located, which brings us to a total of 7 stickers on each side and one above the entrance. If each of these spots is occupied, there could be a total of 15 kingdoms in the game.

If true, that means there are five more kingdoms left undiscovered. One is certainly the moon, so that's four completely unknown kingdoms. I'm convinced there is some sort of Japan-inspired kingdom. Miyamoto wore a shirt with a samurai Mario on it last year when promoting Super Mario Run. There is the obvious Ran/Run pun, but it seems like a lot of work to model this JUST for a pun and a shirt Miyamoto wears twice. Trinen also hinted the shirt had a secret, and this was way before we know about the travel theme.

I do think it’s a level, but this doesn’t necessarily confirm that, right? It’s really just saying that it’s a place that exists...

Regardless, super pumped. I really can’t wait to play this.

SirShandy

My guess is
we'll explore Mario 64 worlds as Peach

My own guess:

I think a reimagining of all the N64 levels may be a bit far-fetched, but here's my own wild speculation:

I imagine the post game may consist of this: A re-imagining of Princess Peach's castle complete with enterable paintings, except they lead to curated challenges within the games' Kingdoms you already explore over the course of the game.

The Edge review already mentions that you get early teases of future kingdoms by entering paintings in entirely separate locations, so the post game could be an extended version of this with all the kingoms of the game visitable through Peach's castle.

Also, with many hints pointing to there being 14/15 kingdoms, equaling Mario 64's level set, it would match up quite nicely.

Wamb0wneD

I'm convinced there is some sort of Japan-inspired kingdom. Miyamoto wore a shirt with a samurai Mario on it last year when promoting Super Mario Run. There is the obvious Ran/Run pun, but it seems like a lot of work to model this JUST for a pun and a shirt Miyamoto wears twice. Trinen also hinted the shirt had a secret, and this was way before we know about the travel theme.

Oh god yes please. Give me a cherry blossom filled world where I can go wild as Mario. I want this now and you're responsible if I have to feel sad because it's not in there. :p

Oh good, another Mario thread, finally, so we can discuss general Mario topics again since the last one was closed.

-----

Still not completely convinced by the game but the castle being in it could be rad

-----

Tell me why GameStop is doing a 9 PM release for Wolfenstein but Mario is at 12

jrDev

Missing Kingdoms/Locales:
BeanBean Kingdom
Isle Delfino
Pi’ilow Island
Yoshi’s Island(Dinosaur Land of Mushroom Kingdom)
Sarasaland

Anything else?

Forkball

Missing Kingdoms/Locales:
BeanBean Kingdom
Isle Delfino
Pi’ilow Island
Yoshi’s Island(Dinosaur Land of Mushroom Kingdom)
Sarasaland

Anything else?
Mario Land from Six Golden Coins.

Mario had his own castle and giant robot and everyone forgot. WHO IS MANAGING THAT CASTLE?

Top Bottom