• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bioshock "Exclusive Review" IGN edition - A lot of annoyed journos (Ironcreed wow).

unbias

So, with this tweet:
reviewexclusives.png

There has been a bit of controversy stewing over the exclusive, by a whole bunch of people, for example:

https://twitter.com/jasonschreier/status/313757362253078529
twitterdrama.png

with even Geoff Keighly getting involved with this tweet:

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/313761274544656385
GeoffKeighleytweet.png

Viacom does not write or compete for exclusive reviews.

Edit: Had to add these 2 tweets because they are gold:
Adam.png

Which then, as the consumer and reader, start to really agree will all these people, despite past differences. It is near impossible to trust, completely, the legitimacy of the review or the honesty in the review itself. It strikes me as a blatant "I don't give a fuck what they think", from publishers, and makes it appear(happily some are speaking out about this) that the games media is perfectly willing to go along with this.

I think it is insane that publishers think(and probably do) to get away with this crap, which smells of nothing short of bribery. And you know, this shit really needs to stop.

Amir0x

Banned
edit: ^^ SO fucking beat

wait is that Arthur Gies unironically criticizing IGN for a potential lack of integrity or even just "muddying the waters"? Arthur Gies of Polygon 9.5... no no 7.0... no 4.5... no... fame?

I mean I agree with his point but my lord...

Karish

It won't make a single fucking difference in sales in the end. Or reviews. Everyone just loves throwing in their two-cents. (I've just thrown in my two cents here.)

EDIT: I'm saying giving IGN an exclusive. Not that reviews don't matter...

Rolf NB

It would be a good start if Metacritic and other aggregators and traffic drivers disqualified exclusive reviews from entering any metric on their site.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Of course Arthur Gies is involved.

but it's good to know that the IGN review will have no spoilers.
Ha!

Resilient

It won't make a single fucking difference in sales in the end. Or reviews. Everyone just loves throwing in their two-cents. (I've just thrown in my two cents here.)

There you have it guys. Throw out all your opinions, they don't mean shit anymore!

RoKKeR

Derrick swipes in with the first post.

Nonetheless, exclusive reviews, especially from IGN, are bullshit. Considering the fact that they are horribly inconsistent (see GOW Judgment) this should be great.

Derrick01

Banned
Ya, I found...irony in it and a bit of poetic justice, and then I realized he has a point to be annoyed, since this in no way is good for readers or consumers.

A lot of the things the media does isn't good for the industry as a whole, and yet most of the outlets these people in the OP work for or used to work for gladly take part in it. Yeah what IGN's doing with this whole bioshock week and exclusive review is scummy but I have a hard time doing anything but rolling my eyes at most of the other media people complaining about it. Like they choose now all of a sudden to want to be real journalists.

unbias

So then reviewers don't make a difference? That would make sense if consumers didnt find it so important to look at reviews that they fooled the industry as a whole by tying their pay checks to the meta score. Seems the games publishers think it matters, which probably means it matters.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
They are right, but I can't help feeling it's because most of them are angry that they didn't get the exclusive.

Remember, when it's your exclusive, there's nothing scummy about it, and nothing a publisher does can effect your opinion in any way.

When it's their exclusive, it's the worst thing ever and destroys the integrity of your profession.

Disclaimer: the views expressed in the preceding post do not apply to Jeff Green

Eusis

Like geoff can really say anything about this
The snarky cynical asshole in me laughed when he said "SOME THINGS must be protected", but he's still right: some things are more crucial to protect for the sake of fairness at least to other reviewers, and exclusive reviews are very problematic there, especially with those tweets brought up.

unbias

A lot of the things the media does isn't good for the industry as a whole, and yet most of the outlets these people in the OP work for or used to work for gladly take part in it. Yeah what IGN's doing with this whole bioshock week and exclusive review is scummy but I have a hard time doing anything but rolling my eyes at most of the other media people complaining about it. Like they choose now all of a sudden to want to be real journalists.

Oh ya, I agree with your premise, just, I do find myself agreeing with them in this case, and honestly I'm ot going to discourage it as long as it suits me, the consumer.

Resilient

The state of reviews right now is disgraceful. I had a buddy join my XBL party last night telling us GoW: Judgement scored a 9.2/10 at IGN like it meant something. Who has who by the balls? Publishers or the reviewers themselves??

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Is there anything that Gies did to provoke the amount of people that dismiss him on this forum? I haven't necessarily agreed with his reviews in the past, but I don't know of anything that warrants people saying "Gies and integrity lol".

Yawnier

Banned
I find it funny seeing Geoff Keighley pissed off about something.

And Arthur Gies' tweet about integrity? This is killing me.

Karish

So then reviewers don't make a difference? That would make sense if consumers didnt find it so important to look at reviews that they fooled the industry as a whole by tying their pay checks to the meta score. Seems the games publishers think it matters, which probably means it matters.

No no, I'm not saying that. I'm saying giving IGN an exclusive. Not that reviews don't matter...

Is there anything that Gies did to provoke the amount of people that dismiss him on this forum? I haven't necessarily agreed with his reviews in the past, but I don't know of anything that warrants people saying "Gies and integrity lol".

He's been defending Sim City, EA and always-online.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
I'll have to read this review-in-progress to come to a conclusion, but unless IGN is vomiting stellar praise at a game that doesn't deserve it then I don't really see why this is such a huge issue. I mean, of course the journalists that don't get to review the game will be pissed, since it's taking hits away from their sites.

Savitar

So how many of these fine upstanding pillars of community that do the reviews and are now complaining about exclusives still do them?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
"You know I like (Gametrailers) exclusives, but it's
baffling that (not Gametrailers) continue to author
"exclusive" reviews. [Gametrailers] must be protected."

Gametrailers really only does exclusive previews through GT.TV, right? I don't recall them ever having an exclusive review.

Geis and Geoff talking about integrity? Sessler quickly becoming one of the industry's biggest whiners, complete with faux outrage? This is rich.

Top Bottom