• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: The 50 Best FPS Ever Made

Jebusman

Banned
I don't know why people are shocked out of an article like this from RPS.

The way they put these lists together is arbitrary at best. There's no real consistency as to why they pick one specific game in a franchise over another other than someone has some fond memories of it, so they assume it's the best ever and that's how it goes.

The passive aggressive tone of "Look, this list isn't trying to be perfect, but by the way it is perfect y'all should just accept it".

Edit: I mean it's cool and all that they're giving recommendations to some of these games in the hopes people go out and play them, but I have to wonder what they accomplished by giving it a "Top 50" style list, implying that some of these are better than others.

I also firmly believe Duke Nukem 3D was left off entirely due to political reasons.

Ionic

There are notable omissions, but over all it's a good effort. I'm very pleased to see STALKER getting all the recognition it deserves. It's a flawed masterpiece!

Whoa, The Darkness 2 is good? Thought I heard middling things about it.

Darkness 2 is AMAZING. Story might not be as good as 1, but its still got a great story and amazing gameplay.
Solid list overall, Stalker, Zeno Clash, Darkness 2, all some of my favourites

Good list. There are only a couple things on there I don't agree with. Glad to see Tron 2.0 on there. I always thought the game had been long forgotten. It's $10 on steam and everybody should play it.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
I guess people look at these lists as "let's see how I can complain about what's wrong with this opinion" instead of "huh, maybe there are some games I can check out."

Anyway, Planetside 2, huh? I played a bit of it but didn't get far enough in to get hooked. Need to find a decent guide maybe.

c0Zm1c

Also mysteries of the sith isn't even the best jedi knight game...in fact I'm pretty sure it's considered the worst.

The online multiplayer was great. I must have sunk an obscene amount of hours into that back in the day (along with vanilla Jedi Knight). I don't think it's one I would include in an FPS list though. I mostly only played it in third-person.

CHC

I think Call of Duty 4 should be higher - it was a great game in its own right, as well a paradigm shift for the genre, for better or worse (more for the worse, but I digress).

Nice to see the inclusion of some "FP but not quite S" games like Thief and Dishonored. But Deus Ex being absent, what the fuck? Maybe they're just thinking of it as an RPG.

Horrible logic. You can't jump in Zelda, is it not able to be considered the best third person adventure game? The entire game was designed around its limitations and it more than makes up for it with expert level design and fantastic monster encounters.

Playing DOOM on Ultraviolence is still one of the most satisfying shooting experiences the genre has to offer.

The Legend of Zelda for NES? Yeah, there's no way that game was better than LTTP. But who cares?

I was just watching some old Doom footage to jog my memory. It looked like the enemies were just dudes in big open rooms. I can't really remember why that game was difficult or fun. Aiming alone does make an FPS better though. It opens up a whole world of deep gameplay elements with a simple mechanic. What made the encounters so good for you guys? From a cursory look they seem rather shallow and simplistic.

When I first got a computer I only had three games installed: Doom, Doom 2, and Duke Nukem 3d. While Doom had a more pronounced ominous atmosphere. I played Duke Nukem the most because it had jumping and aiming. It was just overall a deeper more fun game.

Ragnarok

The Legend of Zelda for NES? Yeah, there's no way that game was better than LTTP. But who cares?

I was just watching some old Doom footage to jog my memory. It looked like the enemies were just dudes in big open rooms. I can't really remember why that game was difficult or fun. Aiming alone does make an FPS better though. It opens up a whole world of deep gameplay elements with a simple mechanic. What made the encounters so good for you guys? From a cursory look they seem rather shallow and simplistic.

When I first got a computer I only had three games installed: Doom, Doom 2, and Duke Nukem 3d. While Doom had a more pronounced ominous atmosphere. I played Duke Nukem the most because it had jumping and aiming. It was just overall a deeper more fun game.

You can't freely jump in any LoZ.

And having played through both recently, Doom holds up much better than Duke Nukem. The level design is better, the monsters are better, the bosses are better, the more simplistic gameplay holds up better. Duke Nukem is basically a setpiece shooter with setpieces that are no longer impressive. Doom is an expertly crafted shooting experience that will never get old.

Bulletstorm only on 39 place, no Unreal Tournament 99 and 3, Thief II but no Deus Ex, Planetside 2 and Counter-Strike: Global Offensive on 7 and 8? Are they crazy?

FLAguy954

First of all, DOOM is super influential and deserves the #1 spot only because of that. Otherwise, Wolfenstein TNO surpasses DOOM in every single metric there is (except for art style which I feel DOOM excels at comparatively).

Also, why the fuck isn't Far Cry 4 on this list while Far Cry 2 is? Far Cry 4 is technically a better game than Far Cry 2 (and way more enjoyable) in all fronts except for FC2s famous wildfires.

Bioshock 2 is laughably high and Infinite is a much better game despite it's shortcomings (tbh the Bioshock series isn't all that impressive in the first place game play-wise).

Metro 2033 is worse than Metro Light Light (even after the Redux version) and has worse enemy encounters.

Games like Alien Isolation and Mirror's Egde shouldn't even fucking count as they are hardly shooters.

I agree with most here that F.E.A.R. should be way higher on that list if the list is based on order of importance.

ApharmdX

Banned
No Unreal Tournament (99)? Fucking lol.

So much shit on that list doesn't come close to UT99.

Yeah. This is a bad list. UT99 is a top 10/15 FPS of all time on PC, easily.

I'm always curious as to what the authors of these lists rate by. Is it "best", "best at the time", "most influential", etc.

Half-life is the number one FPS of all time. Pretty much all subsequent FPSes followed in its footsteps, so it wins most influential in a landslide, and outside of the last level it was the best. DOOM would be a number two, though. The rest of the list is full of garbage choices.

low-G

Pretty OK list except for the ridiculous placement of Planetside 2, which isn't even in the top 500, factually.

Yeah, UT99 NEED to be on the list, probably in the top 10. Some of these need to be higher, some lower.

Omega

Banned
Never played DOOM, but they properly listed HL1 ahead of HL2 so this list is fine.

edit - Nevermind. The Darkness 2 but not the first? how..

BPoole

Far Cry 2 in the top 10 is a joke

BioShock 2 on the list at all is a joke

Killing Floor not being on the list is a joke

Dishonored, Mirrors Edge, and Typing of the Dead are not even FPSs

FEAR should be higher

Good list, I can't read the article right now but I assume they factored in stuff like mechanics, campaign, MP to make these decisions.

A little surprised Titanfall didn't make the list. I figured the wall running and mechs would have at least earned it a spot

Kahoona

I'm not one to normally criticize 'top' lists, but this list seems really click-baity.

No Battlefield 2 or UT99, but Call of Juarez: Gunslinger and Rage just HAD to make the list?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It's nice to see S.T.A.L.K.E.R. get some love. It's not for babies, but it's one of the most memorable FPS experiences I've had. Every moment is so tense. My only major objection is FEAR barely scraping into the top 50, it should be top 10 considering it has the best firefights ever and shit. Oh well. Bulletstorm being ranked so high makes up for it.

flozuki

Because despite the initial level and early lol factor it's not actually that great?
Well, even than it has already more great aspects than many other titles on this list. A Top 50 for this genre without mentioning Duke is ridiculous, like the game or not...

MrS

Banned
Quake should be waaaaaaay higher, it's a seminal game. I mean how is Mirror's Edge higher than Quake, really?

Pappasman

I'm not super into FPS, but do people really consider Doom to be "the best"?

I would assume something like Quake 3 or CS would be held up in higher regard because of their competitive nature and high skill ceilings.

Way too many games here that don't really count as a shooter. Where is UT99 and why is not in the top 10 right next to Quake III Arena? COD4 should be higher, COD2 should be lower, CS 1.6 needs to be in there somewhere, and of course Wolf 3D missing is really unfortunate.

EDIT: If we're including things like Alien Isolation then where the hell is Metroid Prime? COD4 should be MUCH higher actually, Halo 1 needs to get swapped for 2 and 3 for it's multiplayer impact and be put way higher. Far Cry 2 is too high, Bad Company 2 is too high and too close to 1942 on the list. One I would add is Titanfall but all these games are good. Planetside 2 being number 7 and Enemy Territory being so low is fucking disgraceful though.

Arkam

To each their own... but that is an odd list.

CS:Go... but now CS?
Tribes Ascend but now Tribes?
The only Rainbow 6 is Vegas 2?
No Duke Nukem 3D?

And since when are flight games an FPS? (Descent)

Really makes me think the author is only a casual FPS player. Or more likely simply using google to look up games instead of having played them.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Half-Life 2 should be number 1 as long as they are only counting pure fps-games and not stuff like Metroid Prime or Deus Ex. Doom is a great choice as well though.

PnCIa

Kudos for them putting Stalker into a top spot!

/edit...but then i actually read the whole list!
Far Cry 2? Seriously?

Lanrutcon

I'm not super into FPS, but do people really consider Doom to be "the best"?

I would assume something like Quake 3 or CS would be held up in higher regard because of their competitive nature and high skill ceilings.

I always have trouble explaining this to people. Were you around when Doom came out? It was pretty insane. One moment no FPSes, and then suddenly the world was talking about this guy Carmack, next we're lugging a serial cable to a mate's house every day after school to chainsaw the living shit out of each other in a medium that was used for kiddy platform games and chess simulations. That piece of Shareware kicked PC gaming so far forward in so many ways, man. It took the genre, gave it a sweet shotgun reloading animation and sent it out to play.

Top Bottom