• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: FINAL STAGE (Sega 3D Classics, 3DS), out December 22 (JP)

Damn another Yu Suzuki game!

With so many Yu remasters I wish they just went ahead and made a dedicated collection to celebrate his return to gaming.
If it capped at VF then they'd already be halfway there:

[x] Champion Boxing (1984)
[ ] Champion Pro Wrestling (1985)
[x] Hang-On (1985)
[x] Space Harrier (1985)
[x] Out Run (1986)
[ ] Enduro Racer (1986)
[x] After Burner (1987)
[x] Power Drift (1988)
[ ] G-LOC: Air Battle (1990)
[ ] Virtua Racing (1992)
[ ] Virtua Fighter (1993)

Just got it through the eShop. Trying out a few minutes of Turbo Outrun, Alien Syndrome, and Thunder Force III.

Thunder Force III looks pretty good in 3D.

Espiox

Damn another Yu Suzuki game!

With so many Yu remasters I wish they just went ahead and made a dedicated collection to celebrate his return to gaming.
If it capped at VF then they'd already be halfway there:

[x] Champion Boxing (1984)
[ ] Champion Pro Wrestling (1985)
[x] Hang-On (1985)
[x] Space Harrier (1985)
[x] Out Run (1986)
[ ] Enduro Racer (1986)
[x] After Burner (1987)
[x] Power Drift (1988)
[ ] G-LOC: Air Battle (1990)
[ ] Virtua Racing (1992)
[ ] Virtua Fighter (1993)

I was always a little sad we didn't get Enduro Racer. Cool that we ended up getting Champion Boxing and Power Drift though.

I was always a little sad we didn't get Enduro Racer. Cool that we ended up getting Champion Boxing and Power Drift though.

Enduro Racer is a pretty overlooked game. I know it's less well known than the Outrun and Hang-On series, but for completeness sake it would have been nice to see make the Archives.

Also, and I know this shouldn't be a priority given all the other worthwhile games that didn't make the cut, but I would have liked to have seen the original Hang-On in the Archives at some point.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I haven't yet read the Game Watch interview but they did one with Famitsu that I just finished: http://www.famitsu.com/news/201612/22123576.html

On Virtua Racing: they started preliminary work on Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter long before the poll results came in, as it was necessary to start early in order to ensure the budget for later. They dropped work on VF fairly early on when they realised it wasn't going to win the poll but kept working on Virtua Racing for a while as it wasn't clear which game would win the poll until a few month in. Eventually, Turbo Outrun won and they thought about doing both games but there were complications with VR (not just technically but also nailing the movement) that made them decide to go solely with Turbo Outrun. There are some WIP shots of VR 3DS in the article; they estimate it was about 50% complete.

Girls Garden and Champion Boxing have been updated with smooth scrolling and have two different colour settings: one is accurate to the output of the SG-1000 and one uses the colours of a SG-1000 played through a Mark III. They also added a three-button control option to Champion Boxing.

EDIT: M2 president Horii wanted to include Mega Drive ports of some early arcade games, Super Locomotive and Sanrin San-chan; when he was told they couldn't put out Super Locomotive because it contains a YMO tune called RYDEEN, he suggested they replace it with RYZEEN by OMY, Shinji Hosoe's YMO tribute/parody band. Unsurprisingly, this proposal was rejected.

Espiox

Looks like there's there's another article with Kamiya on the official website: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/archives3/special/index.html

I grabbed the themes, they're pretty neat (they loop the opening video music for each game). Archives 1 is missing Ecco's art though - I assume that's related to the recent settlement with Ed Annunziata over Ecco? Ecco also appears to be missing from the MANIAX book.

Just move all that VF & VR work over to Switch (give me a reason to want one!).
Fingers crossed the damn thing really is region free as well!

@MUWANdo

Banned
The all-important Game.Watch interview: http://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/interview/1036060.html
Can anyone pull some interesting quotes? I notice near the end they namedrop Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder :p

I skimmed it and one thing jumped out at me: one of the producers proposed including 30 SG-1000 games in standard 2D as a bonus, but M2 and the other producer shot it down because they felt stereo 3D was a prerequisite and that it'd be cheap to flake out at the last moment, so they added 3D versions of Girls Garden and Champion boxing instead, so when the Famicom Mini was announced with 30 games there was a twinge of "goddammit, we could have countered them!"

They joke a lot across the interviews about how the triple pack has 29 games and they wished they'd thrown in one more to match the Famicom Mini. (the M2 president suggested Dottori-Kun, Sega's glorified test pattern.)

Espiox

I skimmed it and one thing jumped out at me: one of the producers proposed including 30 SG-1000 games in standard 2D as a bonus, but M2 and the other producer shot it down because they felt stereo 3D was a prerequisite and that it'd be cheap to flake out at the last moment, so they added 3D versions of Girls Garden and Champion boxing instead, so when the Famicom Mini was announced with 30 games there was a twinge of "goddammit, we could have countered them!"

They joke a lot across the interviews about how the triple pack has 29 games and they wished they'd thrown in one more to match the Famicom Mini. (the M2 president suggested Dottori-Kun, Sega's glorified test pattern.)

I probably would have given them a pass on the 2D thing if it meant getting 30 games, but oh well :p

What were they saying about Super Hang-on on the first page?

EDIT: There might be hope for a localisation, based on the English name of the Miiverse. Of course, it could also just be a "just-in-case" thing. The first collection had an English name too and never got localised.

Triple Pack came today.

Why is the third game black? It's the only 3DS game I have with a black box and spine. It really stands out.

CERO C games and higher have Black cases, IIRC. My JP copy of DOA Dimensions has a black case, for example. It's just to let consumers know the content might not be suitable for kids.

Cero C games and higher have Black cases, IIRC. My JP copy of DOA Dimensions has a black case, for example. It's just to let consumers know the content might not be suitable for kids.

Oh, weird. I wonder which game pushed it to Cero C.

It actually looks kinda cool but very non-uniform.

AmyS

How does Alien Syndrome look in stereo 3D ?

Maybe we should start hitting up Sega on social media to make sure this collection gets released here in NA, and EU.

How does Alien Syndrome look in stereo 3D ?

Maybe we should start hitting up Sega on social media to make sure this collection gets released here in NA, and EU.

It looks good, but it's a bit more subdued on Alien Syndrome than I thought it would be. The effect is more pronounced on sidescrolling games like Thunder Force III. It still manages to handle the multiple layers in the foreground and underground in Alien Syndrome well.

Random unrelated side note: I really like the fact that they removed the ugly fade-out from the sides of the screen in Super Hang-On in widescreen mode that the standalone eShop version had. I wonder if Fukkoku Archives 1 did the same for Space Harrier.

T should be closer to a Cero B (not a 1-1 map though). And it looks like that game is Cero A. Actually it looks like every individual game that I can find that has a A or B rating. :\

I have to check if the version of Streets of Rage 2 still has Abadede's stabbing animation. That was actually removed from the XBLA release of SoR2.

Espiox

Random unrelated side note: I really like the fact that they removed the ugly fade-out from the sides of the screen in Super Hang-On in widescreen mode that the standalone eShop version had. I wonder if Fukkoku Archives 1 did the same for Space Harrier.

It did, yes. That version of Space Harrier is real nice. Feels more polished and in-line with later 3D Classics releases.

Got my copy of Archives 3 and MANIAX today. I can't speak to any of the written content, but it's really slickly-produced and really dense with content. There's a bunch of concept art for games in there and comments from Yuji Naka and Yu Suzuki on their SG-1000 games. The cover under the dust jacket is really nice too. The only knock is that there's no Ecco interview or related content.

Haven't dug into the game much yet, but they've included the credits sequences from the individual eShop releases this time. The menu music is great too.

Espiox

Ah that sucks. I wonder if it's because Ecco was developed by an American team?

No, there was some kind of legal dispute recently over Ecco with it's original creator. There was a settlement a few weeks ago but I don't think either party has said what's up. Either way, that settlement would have happened too close to print for them to have put the Ecco interview into the book, which is a shame. It's an otherwise stunning book though.

I'm a little late on this, but that Puyo Puyo 2 intro in 3D is great.

Also the animated intros for all 3 packs with Sugimori art is really cute.

AmyS

Do we need to start hitting up Sega on social media again to nudge them to release the new collection, or at least the new games digitally, in the west ?

Remember that the PR for the previous Sega 3D Classics collection happened on January 21, 2016, announcing a retail release in North America on April 26th.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1173746

NintendoLife put up an article on Thursday.

Matters Of Import: Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: Final Stage
The end of an era

While Sega has been curiously reluctant to update its existing Wii Virtual Console catalogue for the Wii U and 3DS, it hasn't entirely forgotten its past glories this console cycle. Courtesy of emulation experts M2 we've had some amazing updates of vintage Sega games on the 3DS, each one blessed with auto-stereoscopic visuals and a raft of exclusive features and modes. These have been released one at a time on the 3DS eShop, but sensing the proclivity of retro gamers to purchase physical items, Sega has wisely bundled them together into collectable retail packages. We've only had one of these in the west so far – the superb Sega 3D Classics Collection – but in Japan two compilations have been published, and we now have a third (and, as the title suggests, final) offering to enjoy before Nintendo's handheld is put out to pasture.

Sega hasn't confirmed if Sega Fukkoku Archives 3 will be making its way to the west as yet, although the existence of a Miiverse page suggests that it could indeed happen; when that will be is anyone's guess however, because the Japanese veteran was quite slow in localising Sega 3D Classics Collection for both North America and Europe. In the meantime, if you happen to own a Japanese 3DS console then this is a highly recommended purchase – but it's also somewhat bittersweet as it feels like the end of an era. With Nintendo turning its back on auto-stereoscopic 3D with the Switch, the days of Sega's vintage classics being elegantly retrofitted with lush 3D effects are well and truly over.

Sega added some new Archives 3 smartphone wallpapers to the website, featuring the new games and SG-1000 bonuses: http://archives.sega.jp/3d/archives3/cp/index.html

I would love some really high-res versions of that sweet Sugimori art from the whole trilogy.

I want some promotional posters and standees, but have no idea how to get them. I assume they're only available to retailers in Japan, but I recall seeing them on Sugimori's twitter as well

Danchi

Does the triple pack have all the games on one cartridge?

I have the first two separately, but I wonder if it's worth buying the triple pack and selling the others for the sake of convenience.

zmet

Does the triple pack have all the games on one cartridge?

I have the first two separately, but I wonder if it's worth buying the triple pack and selling the others for the sake of convenience.
They come on three separate cards

Aquova

Does anyone know how well collection 2 sold outside of Japan? Do you think they are considering releasing this worldwide?

IrishNinja

damn, that triple pack looks so great. gonna hold out a bit longer in hopes we see the rest of ti, then finally import down the road when ive cracked my system anyway

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Being a person that bought all the 3D Classics as they came out digitally, I'm still bummed that there are exclusive cart-only games. Did a small research (haven't thought about this for a while) and I think this is where we are:

Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives

* Ecco the Dolphin (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Fantasy Zone: Opa-Opa Brothers (Arcade)
* Out Run (Arcade)
* Shinobi III: Return of the Ninja Master (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Space Harrier (Arcade)
* Streets of Rage (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
Out Run 3-D (Sega Master System)
Space Harrier 3-D (Sega Master System)

Sega 3D Classics Collection / Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 2

* Altered Beast (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (Arcade (2008 remake))
* Galaxy Force II (Arcade)
* Sonic the Hedgehog (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Thunder Blade (Arcade)
Fantasy Zone II: The Tears of Opa-Opa (Sega Master System)
Fantasy Zone: Opa-Opa Brothers (Sega Master System)
Maze Hunter 3-D (Sega Master System)
Power Drift (Arcade)
Puyo Puyo 2 (Arcade)

Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives 3: Final Stage

* After Burner II (Arcade)
* Gunstar Heroes (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Streets of Rage II (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
* Super Hang-On (Arcade)
Champion Boxing (SG-1000)
Girl's Garden (SG-1000)
Columns (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
Thunder Force III (Sega Genesis/Mega Drive)
Alien Syndrome (Arcade)
Turbo OutRun (Arcade)

Everything with a * came out digitally, everything without one didn't come out.

Wasn't Power Drift and Alien Syndrome supposedly to come out digitally?

...I'm still bummed about this.

AmyS

Being a person that bought all the 3D Classics as they came out digitally, I'm still bummed that there are exclusive cart-only games. Did a small research (haven't thought about this for a while) and I think this is where we are:

At least 3D Power Drift is available in NA via the physical collection, whereas 3D Alien Syndrome (along withThunder Force III and Turbo Outrun) are not.

Not yet anyway.

Aquova

I'd be surprised if we don't get Thunder Force III or Alien Syndrome at some point, they might just be continually working on the English versions.

I forgot Power Drift hadn't come out yet though.. That one surprises me. I don't think we'll get it though, especially since it's part of the compilation

Enduro Racer is a pretty overlooked game. I know it's less well known than the Outrun and Hang-On series, but for completeness sake it would have been nice to see make the Archives.

Also, and I know this shouldn't be a priority given all the other worthwhile games that didn't make the cut, but I would have liked to have seen the original Hang-On in the Archives at some point.

I'm seriously thinking about buying a Master System just for Enduro Racer. So many good memories... In my memory the game lasted hours... When I look at a youtube vid now it's over in a heartbeat :) nevertheless... I love that game.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Does anyone know how well collection 2 sold outside of Japan? Do you think they are considering releasing this worldwide?

It got discounted very quickly in NA so I guess it didn't do great.

The EU version got a very limited release so I don't know how you'd even quantify its success or lack thereof, they barely even released it.

Shame, since that digital release of Power Drift has new content not in the collection release, IIRC.

The standalone versions of Power Drift and Puyo Puyo Tsu both have new content and several of the older games were given little updates or fixes when moved to cartridge as well, it's a completionist's nightmare.

colonyoo

So, someone uploaded a full compilation of all the credits sequences from every release, including the physical compilations and the eShop versions of Puyo Puyo Tsuu and Power Drift. It's even got anaglyphical 3D support! If you haven't experienced em, it's definitely worth a viewing. Some are more basic than others, but most of them are filled with jokes and gags and really show off M2's love for the games they were porting.

5f61a6518b.gif

This is certainly why Ecco wasn't able to appear in the Maniax guide, obviously.

Top Bottom