• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SaGa SCARLET GRACE |OT| Vita means Life, and Life is Good™

Aeana

Amazon put "DFW Airport" in my address line, beneath my actual address, so the delivery person delivered it to the airport and someone there signed for it. Fortunately they realized their error and called me to let me know what happened and that they'd send someone over to deliver it.

C'mon, man.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them
Further confirming DFW to be the worst if not so, so bad.

staen

Why don't people like Leonard? I think Leonard is pretty great.

law2.jpg

+

vc5oxlf.jpg

+

3FlgLWx.png

=

SaGa-SG_09-16-16_002.jpg

Kinda weird that Rom2 is still coming to Vita. Don't get me wrong, I really like that it's happening and will support it when it does but I didn't expect it at all.

RS2 was delayed for Vita so they would have time to print physical copies and pack them in with every copy of SaGa Scarlet Graces for the west. For free. Obviously.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Came here expecting the usual RevenantKioku OT, am not leaving disappointed. Great job lol.

No idea where mine is. Seems like amazon fucked something up yet again. Lots of issues lately not quite sure why.

Aeana

By installing the whitelist hack on 3.60 and then updating to 3.63, I got the game running on a VitaTV. Naturally, Kawazu's "not possible because we're using the full power of the Vita" nonsense was nonsense.

Linkura

By installing the whitelist hack on 3.60 and then updating to 3.63, I got the game running on a VitaTV. Naturally, Kawazu's "not possible because we're using the full power of the Vita" nonsense was nonsense.

I can't be surprised at this, I just can't.

duckroll

In fear of getting Urpina, I answered every question oppositely of how I would normally answer it. Result:

Fuck! So it really IS a Kawazu troll. Time to restart. I played 30 minutes of Urpina yesterday because I actually played fair!

Aeana

After barely scraping by the first battle in Taria's story, I decided to check out Urpina. Urpina's way, way, way easier.

duckroll

After barely scraping by the first battle in Taria's story, I decided to check out Urpina. Urpina's way, way, way easier.

I played like 5 battles with Urpina last night and found it really fun. This makes me want to check out Talia even more!

Aeana

So how are you guys currently feeling about the game progression and lack of towns/dungeons in the traditional sense?

So far, I think everything about the game is super well done except the programming. (._. )

Load times, stuttering, meh crap. But game design feels really satisfying, I have no complaints with that at all so far.

duckroll

So how are you guys currently feeling about the game progression and lack of towns/dungeons in the traditional sense?

After trying 2 more times to get someone other than Urpina in the opening quiz because I refuse to cheat, and failing (I even got different constellations as Urpina! #FuckKawazu lol) and continued playing my previous Urpina save game and I'm really digging it.

There's a very nice sense of flow in the game so far, and even early on, the scenario grabs the player's interest very quickly. There's very little down time, the world map is designed to be dense so even in a small explorable area there are multiple places to check out right from the start. When you trigger certain events, things on the world map can change immediately, making it exciting to go check out what happens next, and so on. It really feels like a fun RPG campaign where things keep moving, so the lack of explorable dungeons and towns just means less busywork of having to move up to random people to talk to them or to go through a dungeon to get to the next story point or boss. Not saying those things aren't important or fun in a RPG, but I think how it is presented here shows you can do things differently and still feel like a good story based RPG that's fun to play.

Battle wise, zero. fucking. complaints. Except for the loading, that's just hilarious. Outside of that. Wow. Legend of Legacy get REKT'D. The feel of SaGa is so strong in the battles, and the sense of satisfaction is great. Battles don't feel unfair (yet), but the best feeling the balance gives off now is that you don't feel like any fight is a free gimme, and even from easy fights if you try out different stuff you feel like you're learning how the mechanics work to mentally prepare for future battles in terms of how you can exploit the turn-order system to your advantage, or learning what attacks work best on different types of enemies.

That's a relief. To be honest, I can deal with the programming jank to a certain extent (I played through Trails of Cold Steel Vita's load times pre-patch. Somehow.), but my biggest concern was whether the story and combat alone could carry a game like this.

Faustek

Sounds so good...Some of you will probably finish it before I even get mine :( Finally left for outward dispatch yesterday so that means Friday the 23 :(

Fuck! So it really IS a Kawazu troll. Time to restart. I played 30 minutes of Urpina yesterday because I actually played fair!

After trying 2 more times to get someone other than Urpina in the opening quiz because I refuse to cheat, and failing (I even got different constellations as Urpina! #FuckKawazu lol) and continued playing my previous Urpina save game and I'm really digging it.

There is no troll.
Urpina is best.
Urpina is love.
Just accept that you have Urpina in your heart when you took the test.
And Urpina answered to your desires.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So far, I think everything about the game is super well done except the programming. (._. )

Load times, stuttering, meh crap. But game design feels really satisfying, I have no complaints with that at all so far.

If it's better than Unlimited SaGa and Romancing SaGa PS2 and on par with SaGa Frontier, then I'm definitely buying it.

US, RSPS2, and SF are my only exposures to the SaGa franchises though lol.

Waji

I was not to hot on ordering this one but the last trailers and the positive impressions here made me go for it.
Hope I won't be disappointed, I have to select where I put y money : ( .

duckroll

4 hours into Urpina's story, just got to the fifth region which is pretty different from all the ones before. It still feels really early in the game, but I can't overstate how dense the game feels. Any concerns I had about there being no explorable towns and dungeons are completely gone at this point because seeing how the game is designed and the concept behind it - it really -doesn't- need explorable dungeons and towns.

A RPG needs dungeons and towns because it needs locations. Locations form a world, give the player a sense of the lay of the land, and makes for memorable settings. It's nice to be able to explore a town, talk to a bunch of people, and understand how that small slice of the world is like for people who live there. It's nice to explore a dungeon and feel like it takes time and effort to get through a tough cave or a temple. The micro parts of RPGs create the strongest impressions so the player can extrapolate those feelings into the larger world without the world having to be populated to scale of a real one. This is why RPGs can have 10 towns or cities in the entire game, and players still feel it is a "world", when it reality that sort of scale makes no sense.

So then without all that, what is SaGa Scarlet Grace? If all towns are just locations on a map and a background image when you enter it, sometimes with a conversational event, other times also offering an equipment upgrade store. How does it work? It works because the game is designed for the macro, not the micro. When every location has a unique purpose which might or might not apply to your character or the current point of time in the campaign, when every region has a dozen or more locations, when battles are specifically designed scenarios for every event or location, the sense of place and discovery of the setting is communicated through that in itself. The world map is not just a world map, it is essentially one giant town and dungeon, with no random encounters, and everything is there for the player to discover. Instead of taking lots of smaller less consequential things together and extrapolating to create an image of a world, Scarlet Grace streamlines a gazillion bigger and very consequential things and populates the actual world with them. It's.... really much cooler than I imagined.

Oh and the battles are really, really, really fun. But more on that later. I just wanted to ramble on about the scenario building in the game. :p

BadWolf

4 hours into Urpina's story, just got to the fifth region which is pretty different from all the ones before. It still feels really early in the game, but I can't overstate how dense the game feels. Any concerns I had about there being no explorable towns and dungeons are completely gone at this point because seeing how the game is designed and the concept behind it - it really -doesn't- need explorable dungeons and towns.

A RPG needs dungeons and towns because it needs locations. Locations form a world, give the player a sense of the lay of the land, and makes for memorable settings. It's nice to be able to explore a town, talk to a bunch of people, and understand how that small slice of the world is like for people who live there. It's nice to explore a dungeon and feel like it takes time and effort to get through a tough cave or a temple. The micro parts of RPGs create the strongest impressions so the player can extrapolate those feelings into the larger world without the world having to be populated to scale of a real one. This is why RPGs can have 10 towns or cities in the entire game, and players still feel it is a "world", when it reality that sort of scale makes no sense.

So then without all that, what is SaGa Scarlet Grace? If all towns are just locations on a map and a background image when you enter it, sometimes with a conversational event, other times also offering an equipment upgrade store. How does it work? It works because the game is designed for the macro, not the micro. When every location has a unique purpose which might or might not apply to your character or the current point of time in the campaign, when every region has a dozen or more locations, when battles are specifically designed scenarios for every event or location, the sense of place and discovery of the setting is communicated through that in itself. The world map is not just a world map, it is essentially one giant town and dungeon, with no random encounters, and everything is there for the player to discover. Instead of taking lots of smaller less consequential things together and extrapolating to create an image of a world, Scarlet Grace streamlines a gazillion bigger and very consequential things and populates the actual world with them. It's.... really much cooler than I imagined.

Oh and the battles are really, really, really fun. But more on that later. I just wanted to ramble on about the scenario building in the game. :p

Damn, this is sounding really good.

Thanks for the impressions.

duckroll

Reading all these impressions, I sure hope it gets localized. Sounds good.

I really hope it does, because unlike a lot of JRPGs these days (and this isn't a knock on flashy graphics and easy to understand stuff) this game is extremely hard to play if you cannot read Japanese. It's all text text text, and there's no voice acting, there are no detailed cutscenes where you can guess what they might be saying, etc. Lol.

This is actually the exact sort of JRPG which fans of CRPGs would also appreciate. Lots of setting development, atmosphere, great music and art, and words that matter.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
If someone buys me a Japanese PSN gift card and gifts it to me I'll buy it with the PSN credit I got gifted.

Sadly until then..my purchase will have to wait! But I read the OP and I love it.
(//∇//)
I really hope it does, because unlike a lot of JRPGs these days (and this isn't a knock on flashy graphics and easy to understand stuff) this game is extremely hard to play if you cannot read Japanese. It's all text text text, and there's no voice acting, there are no detailed cutscenes where you can guess what they might be saying, etc. Lol.

This is actually the exact sort of JRPG which fans of CRPGs would also appreciate. Lots of setting development, atmosphere, great music and art, and words that matter.
God that sound so good

Waji

Great ! Thanks.
Hope I can check myself next week or so. But wit christmas coming, it might take a very long time to come to me.

srborlongan

Neo Member
Welp, odds are DHL is going to deliver SaGa when no one is at home! RIP! Kawazu continues to beat up his fans!

Beating up his fans would give them better HP, though.

There's a very nice sense of flow in the game so far, and even early on, the scenario grabs the player's interest very quickly. There's very little down time, the world map is designed to be dense so even in a small explorable area there are multiple places to check out right from the start. When you trigger certain events, things on the world map can change immediately, making it exciting to go check out what happens next, and so on. It really feels like a fun RPG campaign where things keep moving, so the lack of explorable dungeons and towns just means less busywork of having to move up to random people to talk to them or to go through a dungeon to get to the next story point or boss. Not saying those things aren't important or fun in a RPG, but I think how it is presented here shows you can do things differently and still feel like a good story based RPG that's fun to play.

Battle wise, zero. fucking. complaints. Except for the loading, that's just hilarious. Outside of that. Wow. Legend of Legacy get REKT'D. The feel of SaGa is so strong in the battles, and the sense of satisfaction is great. Battles don't feel unfair (yet), but the best feeling the balance gives off now is that you don't feel like any fight is a free gimme, and even from easy fights if you try out different stuff you feel like you're learning how the mechanics work to mentally prepare for future battles in terms of how you can exploit the turn-order system to your advantage, or learning what attacks work best on different types of enemies.

Thanks for the detailed impressions!

Based on your early impressions, would you recommend this game for people who play SaGa-ish(???) games this way?

Regardless of everything, I really respect and like how they sell the game through those trailers.

* The Legend of Legacy (sorry duckroll), i.e. SaGa 4Kids by purchasing the (rather cheap) Limited Edition
** https://d3esbfg30x759i.cloudfront.net/ss/WVW69j4XjlcMMdk7A1
** https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYMHAAADAAB2V0fc7IYqlw
** finished after four hundred eighty five (485) in-game days or three hundred nine (309) real-time hours
*** used a hyperdefensive build that used
**** shields to attain counter, and mass offensive skills
**** counter-slapping the enemy with a shield for massive damage
**** Charging Star-ing all enemies Captain America style
*** elemental magic to attain mass offense skills
**** Air spell that attempts to stun all enemies for massive damage
*** enemy trolling
**** set up my team to constantly obtain Air and Water elemental ownership at the very end of the turn, preventing enemies from ever recovering their HP and EP

Linkura

Glad this game turned out to be not shit. Pretty much all I heard about before the game released was about the bad load times.

Yasumi

Banned
Impressions make it sound like a fully realized digital tabletop RPG with a good battle system. Wish there was a demo to mess around with.

Reading this description, this sounds like the first game in a long time that I want to play not just for fun, but for research.

Waji

Read the Dengeki review :
http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/423/1423501/

It goes in the same direction. After one playthroug of 50 hours with one character, the writer felt he missed so many things, from tiny events to story as a whole.
Each player makes each playthrough different. There's always a feeling of curiosity and excitement with what's going to happen. Loved the world and characters.
The game makes the writer remember Super Famicom times, old RPG.
Fighting uses your brain more than ever. Difficulty is not just about "being hard", but really about thinking your strategies.

jb1234

Check one of duckroll's post one either page 1 or 2 if using 50PPP for a lot of examples.

I like it.

Sounds alright. Less orchestra than I was expecting but makes sense to use it sparingly for budgetery reasons. That and Ito loves his butt thumping rock, haha.

I have a friend in Japan who has been a fan since the Romancing SaGa days and basically she thinks this is the best Kawazu game since those days and is the long awaited return from Kawazu have been waiting for. Sufficed to say, I really hope Square are bringing this across. Chances are hopefully good if we're still getting Romancing SaGa 2 on Vita and with how other Square Japan Vita games are selling (which I hope are selling decently).

[....]

Wow, this sounds fascinating from a design POV. I'm really interested in playing this, hope it comes to the west.

hongcha

Welp, I just ordered this on Amazon JP. I'll put the rest of my backlog on hold. This looks too interesting to play at a later date.

Yeah, I'm worried this won't get localized. Square-Enix means they won't let any of the regular localization companies touch it & Vita means that Nintendo can't swoop in and save the day.

DNAbro

While I disagree with the idea that RPGs need dungeons in a traditional sense, how you described this has me incredibly interested. Would love to give it a try if it comes out here.

Arzehn

Loving these impressions, sounds like all this game needs is a patch to fix the load times, but doubt they can do much more since they knew it was a problem months ago and already improved it.

Hopefully Gio Corsi has taken note of this game.

Well, I'll do my part and buy Romancing SaGa 2 when it'll release here.

This.

duckroll

While I disagree with the idea that RPGs need dungeons in a traditional sense, how you described this has me incredibly interested. Would love to give it a try if it comes out here.

I never said rpgs need traditional dungeons. I was explaining why towns and dungeons are important to a traditional rpg. This is about expectations and how a player interacts with the world. There is a reason people are hesitant about menu driven towns or dungeons which are only battle intances. Scarlet Grace shows how to deal with it in a very refined way that adds to the experience rather than taking away from it.

Scarlet Grace shows how to deal with it in a very refined way that adds to the experience rather than taking away from it.

I'll be honest that one of the reasons I bought this is because Kawazu went "there're already lots of games with dungeons and towns, let's change this one to a game only world map without them!" I already liked what was in the trailers and the character designs/models so I was buying it anyways, but I really wanted to see what his team can/will do with that statement.

Then again, I really like analyzing games so having 'radically' different game from the norm that appeals to me is awesome.

Can anyone far enough please tell me whether or not the game difficulty is well adjusted?

One of the TIPS/loading screen mentions that fighting enemies will make enemy stronger (1), but fighting it is harder for enemies to get stronger if you fight the "same enemy" (2).

Is this a traditional SaGa element?

My interpretation of that was:
-Each 'Enemy Event' (because I need a term for this shit) will increase difficulty once. Description (1) above.
-Difficulty is also partially based on team stats/growth. Description (2) above.

I'd like to believe Kawazu and his team designed this well enough, but as much as I have forgotten(or pretend to have forgotten) about the game, my nightmares still haunt me from Lunar Genesis aka LunarDS aka Lunar-series-nail-on-coffin.

tl;dr= will farming make enemy too strong, coz I'm at a point where everyone but Yamato has 1~2 LP, and enemies are already on the stronger side + their goddamn auto-deaths attacks. T___T

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'll be honest that one of the reasons I bought this is because Kawazu went "there're already lots of games with dungeons and towns, let's change this one to a game only world map without them!" I already liked what was in the trailers and the character designs/models so I was buying it anyways, but I really wanted to see what his team can/will do with that statement.

Then again, I really like analyzing games so having 'radically' different game from the norm that appeals to me is awesome.

Can anyone far enough please tell me whether or not the game difficulty is well adjusted?

One of the TIPS/loading screen mentions that fighting enemies will make enemy stronger (1), but fighting it is harder for enemies to get stronger if you fight the "same enemy" (2).

Is this a traditional SaGa element?

My interpretation of that was:
-Each 'Enemy Event' (because I need a term for this shit) will increase difficulty once. Description (1) above.
-Difficulty is also partially based on team stats/growth. Description (2) above.

I'd like to believe Kawazu and his team designed this well enough, but as much as I have forgotten(or pretend to have forgotten) about the game, my nightmares still haunt me from Lunar Genesis aka LunarDS aka Lunar-series-nail-on-coffin.

tl;dr= will farming make enemy too strong, coz I'm at a point where everyone but Yamato has 1~2 LP, and enemies are already on the stronger side + their goddamn auto-deaths attacks. T___T

I won't be surprised. Many Saga games have some counter that goes up in the background that takes the number of battles you've done into account and use that to affect the events you get and/or the difficulty of the monsters you eventually encounter.

Yeah, but my main question is if they curated the game well enough to prevent stuff like enemy getting too strong with no real way to catch up it. Of course, there's equipment upgrades, but at some point (at least in this game), it's going to have a limit.

It's nice to have a self-adjusting difficulty, but when it goes wrong, we have shit like LunarDS where leveling up too much only made the game more annoying to play and nothing to really offer.

RevenantKioku

PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS PEINS oh god i am drowning in them

Maybe it's playing it on the under-powered VitaTV that is causing you these issues?
I kid. Well, at least I haven't noticed any stuttering. Load times, though.

duckroll

What happened to everyone else playing the game? :(

I'm down with the flu so I was in bed the whole day. Managed to get through a bunch of stuff! I wanna make a big post about the battle mechanics and why the battles are so fun and addictive, but I feel like shit now so..... :/

It's interesting how Scarlet Grace really challenges the notion that you need certain things in a RPG, especially a JRPG. The battle design reflects the same philosophy the world/story design embraces - it emphasizes certain core elements by removing elements which people expect. There are no battle items in the game, there is no healing, the battle menu is super streamlined, but even so I feel like there is a ton of strategy and options. The battles really shine when you realize that you are encouraged to experiment with the party construction, swap characters in and out depending on what you expect from a battle, and try to really understand how to best abuse the turn order, the rengeki attacks, status ailments, and so on.

I'm almost 10 hours into Urpina's story and I think I'm in the "second half" now. It feels much more non-linear, and I'm pretty sure whatever I'm doing now isn't even part of the main story. But I managed to run into Leonard and recruited him! Got a trophy for it too. Yay!

Aeana

Maybe it's playing it on the under-powered VitaTV that is causing you these issues?
I kid. Well, at least I haven't noticed any stuttering. Load times, though.
I've played it on both the Vita and VitaTV and it's exactly the same.

I'm still playing, but I got stuck on a boss yesterday which led to me starting up FF2 for my play through thread. So now I'm doing both.

Top Bottom