• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 3: the single-player aiming problems thread [Details in Op, Please Read]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alex said:
How the hell do you ship a game like this. It's a corridor shooter, when you break the shooter part ya ain't left with much else!

It's not a corridor shooter. Shooting is actually fairly equal to the other parts of the game this time around. So you're left with plenty.

Even as a shooter, it's a lot more than corridors.

That's beside the point and no excuse though.

ced

So no update from ND yet tonight?

Come on guys at least give me some hope that holding out on continuing will be rewarded by fixing the damn aiming...

Alex

It's not a corridor shooter. Shooting is actually fairly equal to the other parts of the game this time around. So you're left with plenty.

What other parts? The automatic platforming or walking forward, you mean? I'm being harsh, but the shooting is the core aspect of the game and it's really lame what is going on with it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Vitor711 said:
Right, so I filmed my own video of the problem and uploaded it to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU

You'll notice that, despite moving the stick up and down, the horizontal axis stays perfectly flat as I pan the camera around.

I don't know if this is because of an increased Dead Zone in the controls but, whatever the cause, it's a real pain and makes aiming a lot harder than before.

Totally agree with everything stated in the OP. This is an issue and needs to be addressed. Especially as now that the armoured enemies have so much more health than I remember in UC2, headshots are practically mandatory to take them down quickly. With the aiming as is, that's much harder to pull off.

Damn, that's bad. It's like it ignores diagonal input. On top of the obvious input lag, that wouldn't be fun to control.

Alex said:
What other parts? The automatic platforming or walking forward, you mean?

There are actual, brain-requiring puzzles this time around.

Anyway, if your goal is to troll the series, this is not the thread for it.

yes, i started playing the game and diagonals don´t work the same as x and y axis. But besides, the movement control is now as in Assassins creed, you have to move the stick all the way to get Nathan move, it is not as smooth as in Uncharted 2. My fingers get tired after playing a little as happens to me in Assassins creed games.

kneePat said:
The issue is not present in MP and that has been stated many times. Something is wrong in the SP portion and there is video evidence showing such, please if you believe this is not a problem run the same test and upload it on Youtube, because as of now the only evidence we have for there not being a problem is just your word against mine and many others.
Tom penny trolls a lot, so I wouldn't believe what he says.

Solo

daxter01 said:
wait for a week then if there is no sign of patch play it

Basically what I've decided is that I'm going to play Skyrim first, and then Uncharted. That gives ND like 4 weeks to get this shit sorted out.

Alex

RedRedSuit said:
There are actual, brain-requiring puzzles this time around.

Anyway, if your goal is to troll the series, this is not the thread for it.

My goal is to critique the third person shooter I just dropped sixty bucks on for having a broken aiming model when it's prequel worked fabulously in that regard. Uncharted 2 was a really good shooter.

I'll take your word on anything being fleshed out for now, despite hearing the opposite from friends, but I'm just going to shelf it and hope for a patch for now.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
amstradcpc said:
yes, i started playing the game and diagonals don´t work the same as x and y axis. But besides, the movement control is now as in Assassins creed, you have to move the stick all the way to get Nathan move, it is not as smooth as in Uncharted 2. My fingers get tired after playing a little as happens to me in Assassins creed games.

You sure about this part? The character movement is extremely analog in this game as far as I can tell. You can move extremely slowly if you push the stick very slightly.

Alex said:
My goal is to critique the third person shooter I just dropped sixty bucks on for having a broken aiming model when it's prequel worked fabulously in that regard. Uncharted 2 was a really good shooter.

I'll take your word on anything being fleshed out for now, despite hearing the opposite from friends, but I'm just going to shelf it and hope for a patch for now.

Read your post in Ron Swanson's voice and therefore was powerless to disagree.

He's right though that the puzzles are better and more puzzling. Of course, once you've solved them and you're playing the game a second time, it is just a shooter, and the shooting ain't all that good at the moment.

amstradcpc said:

Your fingers get tided from having to push an analog stick a whole 1cm? Getting tided from playing Wii Sports sounds unhealthy, but THAT sounds like you need to seek help right away.

guina

Vitor711 said:
Right, so I filmed my own video of the problem and uploaded it to youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU

You'll notice that, despite moving the stick up and down, the horizontal axis stays perfectly flat as I pan the camera around.

I don't know if this is because of an increased Dead Zone in the controls but, whatever the cause, it's a real pain and makes aiming a lot harder than before.

Totally agree with everything stated in the OP. This is an issue and needs to be addressed. Especially as now that the armoured enemies have so much more health than I remember in UC2, headshots are practically mandatory to take them down quickly. With the aiming as is, that's much harder to pull off.
Do that in uncharted 2 and you will get the exact same result, as Uncharted 2 only detected 8 directions for aiming. The ND blog post even went on details about it, and how uncharted 3 was supposed allow more than 8 direction. The problem here is diferent, not only UC3 does not detect more than 8 directions, but it also does not do the diagonals right, at least UC2 was able to do diagonals right...

Well... i'm sorry to say that, with this attitude ND, i'm not buying the game.

And i'd LOOOVE to play it. But playing the game is more important that watching the game.

Alex

hey_it's_that_dog said:
You sure about this part? The character movement is extremely analog in this game as far as I can tell. You can move extremely slowly if you push the stick very slightly.

Read your post in Ron Swanson's voice and therefore was powerless to disagree.

He's right though that the puzzles are better and more puzzling. Of course, once you've solved them and you're playing the game a second time, it is just a shooter, and the shooting ain't all that good at the moment.

Well, the first time is what mostly counts in a game like this, so that's good to hear. I loved the shooting model from Uncharted 2, these are the only games of this ilk that I'll buy up day one and love so it's a shame things are all screwy at the moment.

I could just turn the difficulty back a bit and do a simple plow-through but I'd rather the first play be the most meaningful one so waiting seems best to me. As long as it gets fixed, that's what counts, so I hope Naughty Dog can just get it done. I don't really care how much it did or didn't change and in what regard I just want the clear issues that are being posted to be fixed.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
guina said:
Do that in uncharted 2 and you will get the exact same result, as Uncharted 2 only detected 8 directions for aiming. The ND blog post even went on details about it, and how uncharted 3 was supposed allow more than 8 direction. The problem here is diferent, not only UC3 does not detect more than 8 directions, but it also does not do the diagonals right, at least UC2 was able to do diagonals right...

I don't have the first clue as to the intricacies of videogame design, but never in a million years would I have guessed something like aiming would give a development studio trouble, least of which ND.

Spiffy_1st said:
Your fingers get tided from having to push an analog stick a whole 1cm? Getting tided from playing Wii Sports sounds unhealthy, but THAT sounds like you need to seek help right away.

In Uncharted 1 and 2 you didn´t have to move the stick 1 cm to move to a decent speed. Logically i don´t get tired literally, but is not confortable this control, above all when i consider Uncharted 2 the game with the best controls in this generation along with the 60 fps CODs.

Man that looks really bad , i wonder if only affecting certain systems .
Right before launch ND has this game breaking bug but it was not for all the models .
Either way ND needs to get on this even if it's not a bug it fucking up people and hopefully they can patch it .

Alex

gundamkyoukai said:
Right before launch ND has this game breaking bug but it was not for all the models .
Either way ND need to get on this .

I have an 80GB one on the latest firmware, myself.

By the way, does this bug pop up in co-op? Maybe I should play co-op for now.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Vitor711 said:

WOW, that's unbelievable <exclamation mark>

I'm honestly lost for words after watching that video, controls broken, fact.

gundamkyoukai said:

How you know that?. And they launched withoug correcting the issue?.

About videos, the only test is needed is trying to draw a circle while aiming. In U2 you can make it. Here not so. They only needed to add a little of recoil to U2 aiming to make it perfect!.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
gundamkyoukai said:

The gamebreaking bug was something to do with the data streaming system IIRC and had nothing to do with aiming.

I don't think this aiming thing is a bug. I think it's a really unfortunate and baffling choice.

amstradcpc said:
How you know that?. And they launched withoug correcting the issue?

They fixed it before launch.

MrPliskin

Banned
This thread entertains me because people are so out of control and rabid about it (on both sides).

The side that loves the game is feverishly is calling the other side loonies and going to no ends to defend the game.

The side that isn't pleased with the aiming is exaggerating the situation and professing utter disappointment with the game, even though it is still more than playable and fun.

Can neither of these "sides" really see the ridiculousness of this all? The idea of a giant thread and some conspiracy to unveil the truth? To rummage around following members and defending a product you had nothing to do with, even though there are clearly issues?

This whole fiasco (on both sides) is just as bad as the 8/10 nonsense (for BOTH sides).

hey_it's_that_dog said:
The gamebreaking bug was something to do with the data streaming system IIRC and had nothing to do with aiming.

I don't think this aiming thing is a bug. I think it's a really unfortunate and baffling choice.

Yeah i Edit my post to explain my self better .

hey_it's_that_dog said:

After the Killzone 2 control debate, the infamous patch and the change of control model for Killzone 3 i don´t understand how ND believed this was a good idea.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
MrPliskin said:
This thread entertains me because people are so out of control and rabid about it (on both sides).

The side that loves the game is feverishly is calling the other side loonies and going to no ends to defend the game.

The side that isn't pleased with the aiming is exaggerating the situation and professing utter disappointment with the game, even though it is still more than playable and fun.

Can neither of these "sides" really see the ridiculousness of this all? The idea of a giant thread and some conspiracy to unveil the truth? To rummage around following members and defending a product you had nothing to do with, even though there are clearly issues?

This whole fiasco (on both sides) is just as bad as the 8/10 nonsense (for BOTH sides).

Doesn't matter if this thread, like every thread, contains extreme opinions that are likely to be overreactions. This thread is about a real problem that is affecting some people more than others, but definitely exists. The thread needs to exist, despite the internet forum bullshit, to make it clear to ND that there is a problem they should at least consider examining.

Alex

hey_it's_that_dog said:

I don't think it's a choice, it's hard to believe any designer at a studio of this size and import would choose to break their aiming this badly in order to reinforce other aspects. You'd tone down accuracy or firepower you wouldn't break the darn diagonals.

Ratrat

My initial impression was that these were some of the worst controls in a shooter this gen. After a few chapters im getting heatshot trophies. I mean, issues are there but its still playable. you'd really be missing out on not playing.

Timan

Developer
I don't have the game yet, but if this game is having so many problems / outrage. How did it get such praise by the press?

Also is the aiming any different in the final game sp/mp than the subway demo?

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Alex said:
I don't think it's a choice, it's hard to believe any designer at a studio of this size and import would choose to break their aiming this badly in order to reinforce other aspects. You'd tone down accuracy or firepower you wouldn't break the darn diagonals.

I'm not sure if you've played it yourself or are just commenting based on the youtube videos but you should really give it a shot. The game is still playable and lots of people aren't bothered by the controls.

If you have played it and are bothered, then disregard this.

the worst thing is this game was my generation GOTY until i make the first shoot. I will wait to go on for a patch. The game diserves it. My reaction is rage for not being perfect, at least today.

guina

hey_it's_that_dog said:

I would say it is definitely not a choice. The way the game behaves, and the way the ND described how the game was supposed to behave are completely diferent, there has to be a bug somewhere. here is the blog post quote:

Aiming is identical to Uncharted 2 - we took a look at the values side by side. We did adjust the sensitivity to be MUCH higher in Uncharted 3 to give you a more precise feel. With Uncharted 2 it was pretty much guaranteed you would aim in one of the 8 directions and it was hard to deviate from that (imagine it being almost like a traditional 8-way arcade stick). With Uncharted 3, you can deviate from the straight path from each of the 8 directions much easier and more precisely.

jiggles

Banned
While I was on board with this getting fixed at first, by the end of the game it had become a non-issue. I think I stopped noticing it completely by about Chapter 15. I was also surprised to see that, despite me thinking it was making me play worse earlier, I seem to have strung together 15 headshots in a row on Normal without even making a conscious effort to do so.

StuBurns

Banned
I find the idea the staff don't know what the difference is bizarre. It reminds me of Bungie with Halo 1 actually. They worked extensive on the 'feel' of that game, and it did change console shooters forever, but one thing it did that Bungie never knew was the sticky aim prioritized headshots. It worked on a distance system, so whichever enemy was nearest would be the one the sticky aim would slow for, but they realized that because the enemy design, the physical heads were further forward than the bodies, so the sticky aim inherently favoured headshots.

Something that was so crucial to the feeling of that game was a secret to even the developers for a few years.

gogogow

Kagari said:
Going to split arne's post off. That deserves its own thread this time :)
That's gonna cause a shitstorm again with people complaining about 100 UC3 threads.....
And it seems Arne is set anyway.

guina

kneePat said:
They have said they play identical (UC2 and UC3), maybe its an isolated issue, so maybe whoever goes should bring their copy of the game and their console.

Does no one at ND feel this way about the aiming? Is this an intended design choice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYIqfvswDU ?
UC2 does the exact same thing, it only detects 8 directions for aiming. This is not the issue with UC3.

UC3 have a problem detecting diagonals, it tries to detect more than 8 direction, but once it picks a diagonal, it kind of sticks to it and you feel like you are fighting the controller if that was not the path you wanted te crosshair to move on. The added input lag makes it even more annoying.

Salmonax

mrklaw said:
isn't that a bit odd though? You seemed to like both previous games if you platinumed them, so wouldn't you want to see for yourself how it feels? It might be ok for you. And if not, you could always hold off playing more until a patch came out?
Not really. I enjoyed the first two so much that I want the first playthrough to be as good as it can be. They're among my favorite games this generation across all platforms. And these issues seem so glaring and prominent that I can only assume they'll be fixed.

So you could put my position in a more positive light: without a doubt, I will purchase it with great enthusiasm when it's fixed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom