• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 - First details from Dengeki

duckroll

Looks like Dengeki did have some sort of feature on Persona 5 after all. Not a ton of info, but they confirm that the setting of the chairs in the teaser is a highschool classroom. The theme of the game is about the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials - hence the imagery of chairs and chains. The game will continue to be focused on school juvenile setting of the series, but the tone this time will be completely different.

Edit: Before there are more "Dark Souls!!!" replies, I think I'll clarify:

They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

Jarmel

Banned
I wonder if they'll address the academic pressure stuff and suicide rates in Japan. It's obvious they're going for a darker tone.

duckroll

Completely different from what?

Persona's already run a pretty wide range...

From Persona 3/4 presumably, since they're talking about it being a continuation of the current set of titles. After Catherine, it wouldn't be surprising to see Hashino tackle something heavier in scope, theme-wise.

RPGCrazied

I know you can't post scans, but did it have any screenshots of any sort? I really want to see media for this game.

Guess Who

Banned
From Persona 3/4 presumably, since they're talking about it being a continuation of the current set of titles. After Catherine, it wouldn't be surprising to see Hashino tackle something heavier in scope, theme-wise.

Catherine was fucking great and I would love a Persona game more similar to it in tone.

Dark_castle

High school again...

tumblr_mlp29qg5C91rkj8fwo1_400.gif

kazebyaka

Banned
I hope it will be about a less normal school, full of dirty rooms and juvenile delinquents. Something moody and gloomy. That'd be awesome.

Wedge7

Nice, love the high school setting, despite many people obviously wanting something different.

Curious to see the shift in tone, and what that exactly means. To be honest, I wouldn't mind more of the same. I loved Persona 3 and 4, and more of the same, but now in HD and built from the ground up for the PS3 is perfectly fine by me.

duckroll

I know you can't post scans, but did it have any screenshots of any sort? I really want to see media for this game.

I don't have the mag, just translating confirmed information from Japanese blogs. I don't think there are any screens or even new artwork though. Probably just an interview of some sort.

I don't have the mag, just translating confirmed information from Japanese blogs. I don't think there are any screens or even new artwork though. Probably just an interview of some sort.
Plus I doubt they'd already show stuff after such a barebones reveal.

Omikaru

So long as the characters are good, I'm down for whatever tone/setting/themes they want to use in this game.

Catherine was awesome. Persona 4 was awesome. Persona 3 was awesome too. I have faith they can do it again.

Tizoc

So how're they gonna top the wolf from P3 and Teddie from P4?
This is the question that must be asked GAF.

RPGCrazied

Oh ok, thanks!

And highschool again? You can bet the MC being a transfer student.

jmcoo7

Banned
I've never played any persona games, I have a lot of Japanese rpgs but I'm kinda interested in this. My nephew swears by it, what game should I start with on my vita?

Sorry if I'm posting on the wrong thread I'm kinda new to posting here was here a long time only really started posting and not just reading.

Chev

The theme of the game is about the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials - hence the imagery of chairs and chains. The game will continue to be focused on school juvenile setting of the series, but the tone this time will be completely different.
Kinda sounds like Danganrompa. Monoteddy coming soon?

onken

So for someone looking to get into these games, what's a good primer? I played the original SMT on SNES but that's about it.

RPGamer92

Banned
So for someone looking to get into these games, what's a good primer? I played the original SMT on SNES but that's about it.
For Persona, Persona 3 FES or Persona 4 Golden would be good choices. The games aren't connected so you don't have to start at 1.

duckroll

Joy of overcoming trials? Persona Souls.

I doubt it's anything about gameplay at all because the wording is very specific about it being about liberation after overcoming something you have to do. They say that Persona 5 is a RPG with the message of expressing the emotional catharsis in the shout of joy made after overcoming your trials and finally being set free of your chains. I would say that the theory about it being about pressure and stress from the Japanese school system is probably a very good guess.

So it's gonna a prison school then?

All Japanese high schools are prisons. twist.jpg

Taking university entrance exams and graduating fits the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials. Since everyone was a 2nd year high school student (sans Kanji) in Persona 4, if they go with the same cast this game could take place a year later (high school in Japan is only 3 years). Really interested in seeing the UI for P5, loved it in P4.

Emitan

I've never played any persona games, I have a lot of Japanese rpgs but I'm kinda interested in this. My nephew swears by it, what game should I start with on my vita?

Sorry if I'm posting on the wrong thread I'm kinda new to posting here was here a long time only really started posting and not just reading.

Persona 4: Golden

demidar

Looks like Dengeki did have some sort of feature on Persona 5 after all. Not a ton of info, but they confirm that the setting of the chairs in the teaser is a highschool classroom. The theme of the game is about the emotion joy of being released after overcoming trials - hence the imagery of chairs and chains. The game will continue to be focused on school juvenile setting of the series, but the tone this time will be completely different.

So it's about guys trying to beat Dark Souls then?

edit: Joke's already been made :(

By the by, that's a pretty generic theme.

raven777

wanted College but Highschool is still fine..

But I do hope there is drastic change to the gameplay. P3 and P4 were too similar.

Omikaru

I started on Persona 4, the PS2 version. P4 Golden for Vita is a good introduction too.

I think P4/Golden is probably the most accessible entry in the series, and you don't necessarily have to play P3 before P4, because they are very self-contained games. I think P4 does a better job of making battles/dungeon crawling more fun, and also better explains S.Links, how to acquire new ones, and why you should build them up. A few people have said to me that P3 may not have done the best job of that, and they struggled to enjoy the game because of it. Personally I didn't notice that, but then I was already very familiar with how the game worked since I went into it fresh off of a 90 hour Persona 4 playthrough.

If you're a fan of the more old-school stuff, you could give P1 and P2: IS & P2: EP a go, but they are quite different from P3 & P4. Personally, I didn't like Persona 1 all that much, but I got along with Persona 2: Innocent Sin once I'd got to grips with the demon negotiation.

Top Bottom