• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U sales compared to PS2, 360, PS3, & Wii - Not doomed

That and the backlash when people see them being less powerful and more expensive than they have mentally set the bar for.

It seems like this is what a lot of people are hoping happens just to justify their own purchases.
The last 5 years were just an elaborate troll to build credibility so that when the day came I could declare my Nintendo hate without repercussions. Muahhhhh

I've been on to your long con sir.

Are they?

Furthermore, just the way you listed out these arguments and excluded others shows me you're already operating under a filter that's particularly favorable to one side - to the point of defensiveness - and likes to hyperbolize the other side's arguments.

How am I defensive when I don't own the Wii U, DS, or 3DS and only own 4 Wii games? I don't even own a Mario game. No one knows how much the 360 would have sold if it was supply constrained. The ONLY data we have is what the NPD and console manufacturers put out. That's it.

Take away from it what you will, speculate on how much the 360 would have sold if it wasn't supply constrained. But you can't conclude that the Wii U is a flop from the numbers we have so far.

Davey Cakes

3rd parties will decide if the Wii U lives or not
Not necessarily. They helped out somewhat with the Wii, but that system was mostly carried by key Nintendo games. I think we could see a repeat here, but any third party support helps.

Maybe Nintendo will pull out their wallet and start buying more exclusives like Bayonetta 2. Only, they'll look for system sellers instead.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Rational? The OP is using 7 year old numbers to justify the, pretty shitty, current numbers of the Wii U.

The problem I have with your statement, though, is that you're basically saying, "See these factual statistics? Throw them out the window and take my conjecture and speculation as fact!"

It doesn't work that way. You can't flat out ignore those numbers. Now, if the MS/Sony systems release to much larger numbers THEN you can say those numbers aren't good.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Wii U launch was decent, as every sane person knows. Despite the persistence of the myth of a 360 "shortage" at launch, Wii U far outperformed every other launch but Wii and PS2. By March though sales might fall off a cliff.

Must of missed the gamecube and xbox launch. Those both did much bigger numbers than the Wii U.

if 3rd parties decide not to down-port from 720/PS4 to Wii U

if 3rd parties decide to stop making current gen games for PS3 and 360 and Wii U

I say yeah, 3rd parties will decide

Um..no. Unless you mean 3rd party support drying up to Wii 2011/2012 levels

The problem I have with your statement, though, is that you're basically saying, "See these factual statistics? Throw them out the window and take my conjecture and speculation as fact!"

It doesn't work that way. You can't flat out ignore those numbers. Now, if the MS/Sony systems release to much larger numbers THEN you can say those numbers aren't good.

Well you can take the 11 year old numbers of the Xbox/Gamecube if that works better. And those were up against the behemoth PS2.

I am a relentless Nintendo fan. I purchase every Nintendo system at launch. I purchased the 3DS at launch (and I love it). I purchased the Wii U at launch (and I really do like it). I have earned and gone through a bazillion Club Nintendo points, and I get Elite status every year. I even love NSMB2 and NSMBU, despite everyone telling me that I shouldn't. I cannot wait for Animal Crossing.

But I really, really believe that from a *business* standpoint -- not necessarily from a games-I-want-to-play standpoint -- the Wii U is going to be a cataclysmic disaster. I think it may be truly, truly awful for the company. I think that within a year we will be looking at a badly out-dated and out-featured console with nearly zero third-party support and almost no energy from the traditional gaming community. And, given the way that pop phenomena work, the emergence of iOS and Android gaming, and the way that the Wii's lifecycle went, I think that it is exceptionally improbable that the Wii U manages to (re)capture the attention of so-called "casual" gamers. I think we will see historically low numbers for a Nintendo console proportional to the current gaming market size, and perhaps even in absolute terms.

I just do not see *any* reason to believe that Nintendo will be able to build the kind of momentum that would be required in order for the system to be truly successful. Many people are saying what amounts to "if you look at historical trends, there is no reason to believe that these numbers mean doom". That may be true. But this overlooks two factors. First, what counts is not just the numbers but rather the numbers in context. The context, as far as I am concerned, is staggering disinterest. Two, it strikes me that the relevant consideration is not whether there is anything that in-principle rules out the Wii U's success, but rather whether we have any positive reason to believe that the Wii U will be a success. I can accept that nothing rules out the possibility of the Wii U succeeding, but I see absolutely nothing indicating that it is likely to succeed.

To be clear, nothing will stop me from loving the system. I'm sure that I will play and love Mario Galaxy 3 (or whatever), Mario Kart, Metroid, Zelda, Smash Bros., Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem, and so on, and so on. I'm gonna have a hell of a good time with the Wii U. Absolutely. But I very much believe that from a business standpoint it'll be a staggering failure.

TheNatural

My Member!
This. The Xbox 360 will be outselling the PS4 and 720. Why? Because cheap hardware and a 7 year library always wins.

So what's Wii U's excuse when you could get it a basic SKU for $300 and XBox's main SKU this holiday was $250?

The 360/PS3 vs. PS2/Wii stuff makes sense because there were hundreds of dollars of differences between them for the HD consoles. What's the excuse when a new system comes out in the same price range and it's launch period gets tripled by another system at almost the same price?

There is none, that's what.

And you think this lone factor will lead to people calling the new consoles doomed? This conversation is very tedious.

All that factor proves is that previous gen consoles sell better than new gen consoles at the start. It happens every year primary because of price. An Xbox 360 is $199 right now. A Wii U is $350. That $150 difference has more to do with the 360 selling more than any other reason.

I don't think that numbers should be tossed aside in favor of narratives that people like. However, I also think it's disingenuous just to post numbers and go "See!" There's room for contextual clarification to explain numbers.

Tookay

I think you can take them into account, but you have to also factor in the realities of the market at that time.

The best comparison, though, is to its current competition. That's the most relevant and up-to-date "factual statistic" out there, and the one that's going to matter most in the end-run.

Marjorine

Wii U might be fine, but the 360 was incredibly supply constrained in those first few months. I turned down the Core pack at Gamestop where I had my reservation and literally waited another full month before I saw a system. I was #2 on the list waiting for a reserved 360 after launch night. My Gamestop waited A MONTH for the next restock. Most of this is MS being slow on the uptake, but there was an unsatisfied demand. I don't know anyone waiting for a Wii U. I saw Wii Us sitting there at my Target 3 days before Xmas. That simply didn't exist with the 360.

Kudos to Nintendo for having product out there, but the Wii U launch bears zero resemblance to the the Wii and 360 launches. The PS3 launch? Maybe. Not a lot of demand then a big turn around.

We shall see, won't we, MrNyarlathotep. We shall see.

We will.

I'm expecting "599 US DOLLARS" level of backlash against at least one of the next consoles launches.

It seems like this is what a lot of people are hoping happens just to justify their own purchases.

I don't have a WiiU and don't intend getting one anytime soon.
It costs too much money and I want to see what else is going to be on offer, both for it and it's competition.

I still think both the next MS and Sony machines are going to be more expensive and less impressive with their launch titles than many are setting themselves up for.

All that factor proves is that previous gen consoles sell better than new gen consoles at the start. It happens every year primary because of price. An Xbox 360 is $199 right now. A Wii U is $350. That $150 difference has more to do with the 360 selling more than any other reason.

I don't think many reasonable sales people expected the Wii U December 2013 to outperform Xbox 360 December 2013. Ergo, I'm not sure what your point is, here.

Mondriaan

This is true. Sony's console had a rough start but ending up eventually overtaking the X360 worldwide. Nintendo hasn't completely lost their brand power so maybe they can turn things around in the coming months (or years). We just have to admit that the Wii U will not be a phenomenon like the Wii.
The 3DS was on a very non-DS like trajectory up until the price cut and various games being announced, so it's not outside the realm of extreme possibility that Nintendo could do the same with the Wii U.

BearPawB

Banned
(1) how many buyers were denied a 360 at launch. (2) why don't the subsequent months in 2005 and 2006 NPDs show a spike in sales indicating pent up demand, like there were for the Wii?

It doesn't have to be a "Spike". Systems were coming out slowly for months. Its not like one month later a ton were available and everyone bought one....

mantidor

No worries, after this I'm sure Nintendo will bounce back with a true hardcore game console that focuses purely on power with no gimmicks. They'll drop the goofy Wii branding too, and use a word that's appropriately edgy. But being Nintendo, they'll still try to make the package efficient so it covers all the bases.

Therefore I predict the next console will be named the Nintendo Doom.

I'd buy one.

If they manage to get Id to make an exclusive Doom game for it I'll buy four.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
OP

PqGWZ.gif

I don;t really get the comparison to the PS3 or Nintendo's handhelds at this point. In terms of the PS3, Sony lost over 4 billion dollars turning that thing around making it an unmitigated financial disaster that will haunt them for years, and Nintendo does not have the dominance in the console market that they do in the handheld market. I do expect Nintendo to be able to course correct the likely sinking ship later on this year when their first party goes into overdrive, but until then it's going to be a bumpy ride.

Sissel

So what's Wii U's excuse when you could get it a basic SKU for $300 and XBox's main SKU this holiday was $250?

The 360/PS3 vs. PS2/Wii stuff makes sense because there were hundreds of dollars of differences between them for the HD consoles. What's the excuse when a new system comes out in the same price range and it's launch period gets tripled by another system at almost the same price?

exactly. People are comparing the WiiU launch numbers to the PS3 and 360's launch numbers. Well the 360 was constantly selling out and the PS3 cost 600 fucking dollars. What's the Wii U's excuse?

jedimike

Wii U is doomed because it has no mindshare. GAF didn't care about the Wii either but it was all over the media and the non-gaming consumers were all over it. Wii U has no mindshare for gamers or non-gamers. It is doomed until Nintendo creates something for it that gets people talking.

Tookay

The 3DS was on a very non-DS like trajectory up until the price cut and various games being announced, so it's not outside the realm of extreme possibility that Nintendo could do the same with the Wii U.

The problem with that statement is that I'm pretty sure the 3DS is going to be crossing paths with the DS again on the respective worldwide sales chart.

It's doing great in Japan and at least stabilized itself, but I don't think its numbers in the west are particularly good.

Wii U is doomed because it has no mindshare. GAF didn't care about the Wii either but it was all over the media and the non-gaming consumers were all over it. Wii U has no mindshare for gamers or non-gamers. It is doomed until Nintendo creates something for it that gets people talking.

I'm pretty sure there was more hype for the Wii among gamers than the Wii U at this stage. There had to have been, because Nintendo at least let people glimpse something into the Wii's future.

Wii U might be fine, but the 360 was incredibly supply constrained in those first few months. I turned down the Core pack at Gamestop where I had my reservation and literally waited another full month before I saw a system. I was #2 on the list waiting for a reserved 360 after launch night. My Gamestop waited A MONTH for the next restock. Most of this is MS being slow on the uptake, but there was an unsatisfied demand. I don't know anyone waiting for a Wii U. I saw Wii Us sitting there at my Target 3 days before my Xmas. That simply didn't exist with the 360.

Kudos to Nintendo for having product out there, but the Wii U launch bears zero resemblance to the the Wii and 360 launches. The PS3 launch? Maybe. Not a lot of demand then a big turn around.

The problem is that we'll never know the specifics regarding launch demand. We can conjecture "what-if" situations all day long but the only thing we have is that 360 / Wii launches were supply constrained...and the Wii U launch had plenty of restocks.

Majmun

But the Ps3 at $599 did better in december. And that was considered bad. How can you spin that?

Wii U's trouble isn't just sales. I remember the Ps3 and X360 getting a lot more hype during launch. Wii U hype is non-existent. Something tells me that only early adopters who always buy Nintendo hardware bought the console.

WiiU's lack of popularity outside that group of enthousiasts is definitely discerning.

Zero148

bad marketing from Nintendos side, BLOPSII (you know, "hardcore" gamers are on the 360) and Halo

I do expect Nintendo to be able to course correct the likely sinking ship later on this year when their first party goes into overdrive, but until then it's going to be a bumpy ride.

I would be amazed if Nintendo do not at least have a couple of big guns ready for release sooner than the end of this year that are unannounced and being held as opening salvos until they find out what Sony and MS launch plans are.

If things are sufficiently bad, they might release earlier than originally planned.

Tookay

But the Ps3 at $599 did better in december. And that was considered bad. How can you spin that?

Wii U's trouble isn't just sales. I remember the Ps3 and X360 getting a lot more hype during launch. Wii U hype is non-existent. Something tells me that only early adopters who bug Nintendo hardware bought the console.

WiiU's lack of popularity outside that group of enthousiasts is definitely discerning.

The fact that this thread even exists is a testament to that fact. When one group of people is desperately trying to rally against a "narrative," then there's sort of an implicit acknowledgment that the common perception is that it's doing mediocre and that it doesn't have the mindshare to overcome it.

TheNatural

My Member!

I like how you conveniently took the cheapest 360 SKU vs. the most expensive Wii U one.

Newsflash: people weren't buying any Wii U's period, but if they wanted they could have got the basic. They both equally unsold. And the 360's that sold most were the $250 holiday bundle with the hard drive and two games. That's a $50 difference, not $150. Wii U is in the same price range, but is still getting killed.

But yeah, you're just making shit up and slanting numbers to try to win an argument anyway.

Sissel

Wii U's trouble isn't just sales. I remember the Ps3 and X360 getting a lot more hype during launch. Wii U hype is non-existent. Something tells me that only early adopters who always buy Nintendo hardware bought the console.

lol seriously. It was like a week before Wii U release and there was almost no talk about it on the first page. When the 720/PS4 are about to launch, people are going to be losing their shit.

jwhit28

What does doomed mean? Do you expect it to suddenly not exist? Do you expect it to do Gamecube numbers? Do you expect it to "only" do as good as PS3 and 360 did this gen?

I think that is the part that gets under peoples skin. The Wii U (and the Vita for this matter) will have their ~5 years to do their thing and since the Wii U and 3DS are already selling at profit (Iwata did say Wii U brought in more profit than Wii over the same time period) Nintendo is far from the dictionary definition of doomed.

Krowley

The problem with that statement is that I'm pretty sure the 3DS is going to be crossing paths with the DS again on the respective worldwide sales chart.

It's doing great in Japan and at least stabilized itself, but I don't think its numbers in the west are particularly good.

I'm pretty sure there was more hype for the Wii among gamers than the Wii U at this stage. There had to have been, because Nintendo at least let people glimpse something into the Wii's future.

Defintely... We had Twilight Princess in our hands. We had Mario Galaxy to look forward to, and Metroid Prime Corruption, and with all the buzz around the console there was hope at the beginning that third parties would be forced to make games for it. The writing was already on the wall that it was going to be a success.

Wii U is looking much grimmer. But I do think that the comparisons to DS, and especially 3DS, are pretty fair. Those products confused the hell out of people at first. And in the case of the 3DS, it was overpriced with no cool games, and people didn't like the gimmick. In the end both handhelds are going to be counted as great successes. 3DS may never match DS in sales, but it's certainly no disaster, and Nintendo made that happen in both cases by releasing compelling software.

That's why I'm not fully in the doom and gloom camp. I think Nintendo make better games than anybody when they're really in the groove, and eventually there will be mindblowing games for the Wii U. Games good enough to sell hardware.

What does doomed mean? Do you expect it to suddenly not exist? Do you expect it to do Gamecube numbers? Do you expect it to "only" do as good as PS3 and 360 did this gen?

I think that is the part that gets under peoples skin. The Wii U (and the Vita for this matter) will have their ~5 years to do their thing and since the Wii U and 3DS are already selling at profit (Iwata did say Wii U brought in more profit than Wii over the same time period) Nintendo is far from the dictionary definition of doomed.

Well the problem is no one is actually calling it doomed, or at least the vast majority aren't.

Zero148

I like how you conveniently took the cheapest 360 SKU vs. the most expensive Wii U one.

Newsflash: people weren't buying any Wii U's period, but if they wanted they could have got the basic. They both equally unsold. And the 360's that sold most were the $250 holiday bundle with the hard drive and two games. That's a $50 difference, not $150. Wii U is in the same price range, but is still getting killed.

But yeah, you're just making shit up and slanting numbers to try to win an argument anyway.

lets watch at what you get for your money

250 for console + 2 games vs 350 for he console + 1 game.

Each game adds 50$ to the price, so it is 150$ vs 350$ and the 360 console was half the price of the WiiU console. Then as mentioned above the 360 has a much more hyped Halo 4 and COD sells also more 360 consoles than any other

He said more revenue. Not profit.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
The word 'doomed' is really starting to get on my tits.

it's a strawman born of a fundamentalist mentality. see it not as an expression, but a name tag.

though it has been entertaining to watch the bi polar dance of alternating denial and proclamations of industry wide cataclysm.

Top Bottom