• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COD: Ghosts has an exact same cutscene from MW2

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Well ok then show me more examples when EVERYONE does that, show me an exact same cutscene from let's say the God of War series or MGS or FF, you name it.
God of war 3 developers stated that the characters except hermes have no long flowing outfits because it is a technological challenge.

ChapaNDJ

Banned
http://youtu.be/5E82ZkHTiVU

Remember kids, recycling is good!

OMcer7e.gif

Sethos

Banned
His point is that even bad games are made by people that pour a lot of hard work into what they're doing.

Which is true.

So that's just a given, because they work in the game industry they must per default be hard workers - Contrary to every other profession on earth where there's lazy people and people without passion everywhere, the game industry is a shining diamond setting examples everywhere? Where is this supposed hard work?

The engine is terrible, a supposed iteration to make it a next-generation engine and visually it's ugly as sin in 95% of the game. The performance and the visuals are abysmal on every single platform, texture work is completely inconsistent and at the core it's just the same old engine with barely any work done to it from the player's point of view. Not even a single care in the world for the PC port, that's just typical IW laziness. Oh and the faux 6GB requirement with gigabytes of empty data.

The map design I've seen so far in both multiplayer and single-player is terrible, It's boring, uninspired and a lot of brown. Only a few levels and maps break up this dreary mess.

Even gunplay, which is the stable of Call of Duty feels sloppy for some reason, the sluggishness when ADSing to 'improve accuracy' just feels like mouse smoothing plus the fact that the FPS takes a huge dump with the depth of field kicking in.

Now they even recycle entire cutscenes, cutscenes which people claim to be "homages" despite being used at some completely random, uneventful and straight up boring scene with exactly no callbacks, flashbacks or mentions to the MW2 scene - It has ZERO correlation! EVERYTHING about Ghosts is lazy and sloppy, I don't see an ounce of care anywhere in this game at this point however I'm not allowed to call the people who made the game out for that. No, they are hard-working upstanding citizens pumping out shit. Let me blame something else ...

You wonder why IW games took a massive dump after the actual talent left?

A fifteen second cutscene of the player being helped to their feet in a game that has three major modes?

Even if they did recycle it, I don't think we should be worrying about it. Sounds like there's plenty of legitimate things to be worried about rather than this piece of inconsequence.

BBboy20

A fifteen second cutscene of the player being helped to their feet in a game that has three major modes?

Even if they did recycle it, I don't think we should be worrying about it. Sounds like there's plenty of legitimate things to be worried about rather than this piece of inconsequence.
Symbolism.

This. Even if the scene used new animations, the most worrying thing is that the game still uses such tired pseudo-drama scenes.. zero evolution.

spekkeh

Banned
I actually applaud this. Reusing of assets is the only way to keep AAA+ development tenable. Who would notice this anyway. We're all okay with seeing Will Smith popup in everything but god forbid an animation is reused.

I actually applaud this. Reusing of assets is the only way to keep AAA+ development tenable. Who would notice this anyway. We're all okay with seeing Will Smith popup in everything but god forbid an animation is reused.

We could eventually end up with such classic in-jokes like the Wilhelm scream... that would actually be awesome.

I've been saying CoD has been the same since CoD4 for years. VINDICATION!

And you'd be wrong as the animation is from MW2...

HeelPower

I'll just reply to you with youtube top comments, just in case you think its lazy as what is in here :

This is more like re-used choreography than re-used animations. These were all drawn and painted by hand on cells these are not computer generated animations you couldn't just easily re-use the animation like you can today. They decided to stick with certain motions but they still had to redraw every frame and do all the secondary and tertiary animations regarding hair and clothes.

Not to be a sour puss, but the real reason behind a majority of the similarities isn't really recycled animation, more recycled reference footage. ;) Also, there's over 30 years between the making of some of the movies with recycled dance footage, for instance Snow White (1937) and Robin Hood (1973). Rest assured, the similarities aside, amazing artists still had to draw between 12 and 30 pictures for every second, 28-30 for all the dance/walk sequences. ;)

test_account

XP-39C²
Yeah, I saw that upon viewing the youtube video for a second time. I should really have caught that in the first place, since I am currently 3 missions into the game.

I have amended my original post.

I agree it's not that bad when it's not being used as the ending sequence, but it is still more blatant than I would like. The game is rushed, probably too many platforms with too many different technologies.
Fair enough =)

Good point, having to work with a PS4 and a Xbox One version in addition this time around, that could probably be one reason for this indeed.

Skwerl

Seems more like a budget saving thing to me, rather clever use of the old animation as well. While I think the execution of recycled material is rather brilliant, I wouldn't really call it a homage or whatnot.

I think the bigger issue with the game is repetitive campaign design or whatnot, but I think that is for discussion elsewhere.

Doran902

Hey Bob we need someone to animate this cutscene!

No time Bill, just check the asset servers mocap animation folder for something!

Ok, good thing we've been using the same engine and character rigs for 6 years!

Yep.

Mik2121

Some of the comments here are quite something... and it also goes to show how little some people know about game development yet they're the ones with the most aggressive opinions...

They have a budget and a time constraint, and they have to do their best to pack as much as possible within that limit. If they had a cut-scene that was exactly the same as that old ending scene, then I don't think it's so bad if they re-use it. I have played MW2 as well and if I just saw the scene of Ghosts, I probably wouldn't have noticed (didn't even remember it...).

Xater

R2D2 popped up in Star Trek as well, homages don't have to be canonical.

A homage is there to pay respect to something. Who are they paying respect to here? Themselves?

This isn't a homage, or fanservice. This was most likely just a another shortcut to get this game done in time. They needed someone to be carried and it was just way too convenient to re-use the entire animation sequence. There is no craft involved, it's just pure laziness.

Omni

I dislike CoD as much as the next guy, but even I can admit that this isn't that big of a deal. It's a single cutscene. IF, and that's a big IF, they were just copying pasting levels/basic layouts from previous games, then I'd have a problem. As it is however, meh.

*shrugs*

not really a big deal... but it doesn't really help the stigma people have with the franchise.

reuse character animations reload animations, ok. Never really seen people reuse cutscenes though o_O

But hey, launch games. corners are cut at weird places.

Watched it and didnt even remember it from MW2, neither did my girlfriend, and my opinion is: who the hell cares? How does this effect your life in anyway, besides verifying that you were right and they are the "same." Jesus people the games are not the same at all, they each have their own unique feel to them. Their multiplayer system is usually tweaked quite a bit, accept MW3 becuse they lost developers halfway through the making of it.Their campaigns are also pretty entertaining as well.

ElRenoRaven

You know I just don't see the big deal here. As mentioned it's kind of a waste to redo something 100 percent new when you can draw upon established assets and animation to accomplish what you're doing. It's not like they just popped it in unchanged. I really think people are reaching for things to hate on. There are a lot more important things you can hate on COD for then reusing the animation from an older cutscene.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
And people thought I was exaggerating when I said this game looked identical to MW2.

Obviously it's barely worth noting since it's such a minor detail but it's still very funny considering all the hyping up they've done of their "next gen engine".

fernoca

Reading the thread and tite was expecting something lazy and bad.

Watched the video and...yep, it's a nod. Heck, said cutscene takes place right in the beginning and what lead to it was quite cool.

Sethos

Banned
Reading the thread and tite was expecting something lazy and bad.

Watched the video and...yep, it's a nod. Heck, said cutscene takes place right in the beginning and what lead to it was quite cool.

How is it a nod because it's in the beginning? Ghosts isn't the sequel to MW2, MW3 is. So you can't even work the continuation angle.

Mr_Zombie

ITT people think that reusing assets is being lazy and cheap.

Each game should start with a clean slate, right guys? Developers should delete all sound samples, animations, textures and models that were created for a game after finishing developing it and create completely new stuff (even if it is similar) for every new product. It wouldn't be a waste of time, human resources and money. At all.

Well ok then show me more examples when EVERYONE does that, show me an exact same cutscene from let's say the God of War series or MGS or FF, you name it.

It doesn't need to be a cut-scene (just like the whole cut-scene wasn't used reused here - just a bunch of animations; models, textures and backgrounds are different). It can be anything that was created for the purpose of being used in previous game.

CHC

Cutscene? How about level!? An oil rig in the arctic in which you start out underwater then breach and clear through the upper levels.... This series is so deflated and tired right now

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
so the game only worth full price if the engine is new/heavily updated? Fuck artists, game designers, level designers, music creators, art directors and lots of other people who pour soul and hard work into a game, creating new games. Yeah, fuck these people, only thing that matters is a gameplay and engine. How dare thee use already established engines and gameplay formula people loved all these years. What a nerve.

Doing a shitty job with those established elements is still doing a shitty job, no matter how hard you worked.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Doing a shitty job with those established elements is still doing a shitty job, no matter how hard you worked.

That's a standard practice that probably more than 90% of the industry is doing. The key is to not to overdo it.

Phatmac

This is pretty scummy, sure but anyone on here who has the nerve to call IW lazy is someone that clearly doesn't understand the brutal realities of game development. IW should be commended for being able to actually realize a big game like Ghosts on 6 different platforms. Being a next gen title is a monumental challenge in it's own right and it's evident in how rough the game is when compared to how polished the series has been. In short calling developers lazy is a lazy way of actually providing any form of criticism.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
That's a standard practice that probably more than 90% of the industry is doing. The key is to not to overdo it.

I'm well aware and I don't have an issue with that. The cutscene similarity is blatant but it's just kind of funny. I was more responding to building on the old engine and assets. From what I'm hearing this game is a mess on the technical side.

fernoca

How is it a nod because it's in the beginning? Ghosts isn't the sequel to MW2, MW3 is. So you can't even work the continuation angle.
Didn't meant that it was a nod because it was at directly tied to the story per se just; a nod in general. It been earlt could also be seen as "passing the baton". Who knows.

There's some more after it. With the characters getting into the pickup and watching the place falling apart.

Then again guess I'm now part of the defense force...so, back to the game. :p

Darksol

This is a pretty lazy move on their part ("fanservice"? Really?) but I don't think it should come as a surprise. COD isn't exactly praised for its innovation and fresh new ideas. When you pump these games out like clockwork it shouldn't come as a shock that there will be repetition.

Top Bottom