• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Sony is in "the fight for its life"

reKon

Banned
Isn't their gaming division their must successful division right now?

Hope it isn't hit too hard due to other divisions.

edit: oh, bad reading comprehension. Missed that line where it said playstation brand is sucessful.

I don't think I've bought any sony brand stuff besides my ps3 in a long time. Walkman was their last huge hit I think.

Well actually, their financial services business is their most successful entity now, in which they derive most of their profit from life insurance, swaggg

The Playstation brand is still valuable though and has improved a lot from when the PS3 first launched

Alebrije

What about the VAIO laptops? As far as I know it is a profitable division , Sony should have on the consumer market :

TV´S : 3-5 models.
VAIO : laptops , pojectors.
PS brand ( PS4, VITA, etc).
PICTURES and MUSIC.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
It's kinda incredible how Sony was at the top of the world (at least in the video game industry) just a couple years ago, and now they are "fighting for their life".

Tokubetsu

Every time I see a doom and gloom Sony article, one thing that's always mentioned is that their gaming division is successful. I've always thought that Sony just needs to trim the fat off a little bit in regards to their televisions, laptops, cellphones, etc.

Kinda what the article is getting at I think. They need to re-gain focus/trim down the areas where they're no longer competing.

It's kinda incredible how Sony was at the top of the world (at least in the video game industry) just a couple years ago, and now they are "fighting for their life".

Thats what happens when your late(r) to market, more expensive than the competition, and lack the software support they do.

Culex

Banned
What does Sony mean to you now? Cause I think they're still a damn good quality brand, albeit less popular.

As far as TV's, they were the UNQUESTIONABLE leader in CRT TV's. Their Trinitron line was what sold my parents years ago on the Sony brand. Sure, you paid more, but you actually got better quality.

Now, you can get a great TV from any number of Korean, or even Chinese brands, for half the price. Hell, my 3 year old Philips was better than the then current Sony equivalent.

I'm not sure what exactly is clearly visionary about the 3DS relative to the PSV. Neither is a particularly disruptive piece of hardware.

-viper-

Banned
I hope they don't die. I like Sony products. They are all good.

If there is no Playstation then I don't know how I'll play games.

Are we going to get enthusiasts in this thread saying that if Sony exits the gaming industry, they will never ever under any circumstances ever ever touch a video game ever again?

Its a disturbing, absolute mentality that I've seen popping up in a few threads occasionally.

guek

Banned
They just need a second job.

3iWNB.gif

I'm incredibly curious as to what their PS4 strategy is going to be. They definitely need new some new ideas, though something tells me their multi-pronged move sex toy peripheral aint gonna cut it.

Bebpo

Banned
When I think Sony and TVs, I think "for this price I can get a better quality tv from someone else".

You either put out the highest quality tv at the highest price or the lowest quality tv at the lowest price. The bulk of mid-range stuff is pointless as other people will have better sets at cheaper prices.

2San

That "killed"/damaged the Playstation 3/Playstation brand. And was Blu-ray worth it? It seems to me streaming services are much more popular/is the future.
Regardless of what consumer want, I do think the Blu-ray push was needed and a further push is still needed. The DVD format is grossly outdated. Having this compressed artifact galore is unacceptable this day and age where the monitor and tv standard is 1080p. Playing PC/360 games that still uses these crappy video's kills the overall experience(somewhat). Wish steam/devs at least offered the option to dl HQ video/audio files for games. I'd pay a premium for that.

I don't own a PS3 myself though.

EXGN

That "killed"/damaged the Playstation 3/Playstation brand. And was Blu-ray worth it? It seems to me streaming services are much more popular/is the future.

I'll admit that BluRay doesn't have the longevity that Sony was probably hoping for, but at the same time I don't see how you could honestly say BluRay killed or damaged anything. A lot of early PS3 adopters were people who wanted it solely for the BR player.

-viper-

Banned
Are we going to get enthusiasts in this thread saying that if Sony exits the gaming industry, they will never ever under any circumstances ever ever touch a video game ever again?

Its a disturbing, absolute mentality that I've seen popping up in a few threads occasionally.

Naw. I'll move onto PC gaming. Fuck paying online yearly fees.

In fact, I haven't touched my PS3 for MONTHS. Last game I played was Batman, and that was on my computer..

- J - D -

Hey op, you changed a key word in the article for your thread title. The actual quoted phrase is "the fight of its life" not "the fight for its life".

Very minor difference, but one does carry a less dire connotation.

Just sayin'.

Hiltz

If Sony's in a bad place right now, then what's going to happen if PS Vita doesn't do well enough in the next 2 years ? How much more can Sony take?

HoosTrax

Jesus, it's going to be fucking weird if sony ever leaves the gaming division. I'll truly be sad :(
Hell, I'm not even a console gamer and I'd be sad to see that happen. Out of all of the console makers, they have the most compelling exclusives unavailable on PC (more mature eastern-flavored, less "family/casual" or "bro" heavy).

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
Don't worry! They've patented a new controller which will save the day!

a3nrQ.png

Sounds about right. No visionaries, and everything is done at a glacial pace. Never ahead of the curve with anything. PS3 could've been so much more.

Sony isn't doomed... they're still hip with the hardcore gaming crowd, they'll be just fine.

We're not questioning the Playstation brand, it is profitable for Sony, but as a whole the company is bleeding money. Playstation can only carry the team on it's back for so long.

Sean

Banned
Sony makes too many models, then they praise Apple.

Nothing alike - Apple's product lineup is quite simple to understand. There's a low end cheap model, a mid-range mass market model, and then a high-end model.

Sony needs to streamline their product lineup in the same way.

Arnie

They've not been at the top of the videogame industry since 2005 at a push. That's over 6 years ago. If the gaming division is their most profitable market then I really think it's an irreversible track for them.

It's been clear that the company lacks a clear vision for a long time now. The Vita screams this out to me, personally. Vita is just about the most "obvious" thing they could have done. Instead of forging a new direction they just seemed to slap on everything that could possibly have been successful before and hope for the best. They are being outmaneuvered by pretty much all of their competition because their competition has a clear focus and vision for their products.

Since Sony's vision seems to be unclear or muddled, that comes across to consumers.

My suggestions have long been to cut the TV division and cut the handheld division. Everybody says to cut the television division now but Kaz doesn't even seem to want to do that entirely.

Cutting their handheld division would be a huge mistake.

Honestly, the biggest opportunity for Sony would be in the mobile space.

The problem is they are still stuck in the backwards ass notion that they can create proprietary hardware and sell high end games on only one device.

They need to embrace the market reality of iOS and Android. They need to recognize that this is a huge market place for games, and not just the shovelware variety.

They would have huge success if only they brought the playstation brand and lineup to the iPhone and Android.

If they do not execute on this in the coming years, it will be a colossal misstep that will end up costing them severely because it's an untapped market of consumers and Sony is one of the best and only players in the industry that can provide this high-end software platform.

Vita is a great device, but there's no way it's going to make Sony much money in the long run because the handheld landscape has entirely changed. They need to put out a cheap controller adapter that turns any phone into a Vita. Period. It solves the problem of people not wanting to buy and carry around multiple portable devices. It embraces the reality that EVERYONE only wants to carry their phone, and if all it takes to be able to play serious games is buy a cheap little adapter, then that's a very small barrier to entry than what they have now that requires people to buy a $250 separate handheld system.

gogogow

I'll admit that BluRay doesn't have the longevity that Sony was probably hoping for, but at the same time I don't see how you could honestly say BluRay killed or damaged anything. A lot of early PS3 adopters were people who wanted it solely for the BR player.

Yes, I can honestly say that it did damage the PS brand/PS3. Because of Blu-ray the PS3 was extremely expensive and it came a year late on the market. Sony sacrificed the PS3 to win the HD format war. I hope it was worth it for Sony.

Bolded part, even if true, how can that be a good thing for the PS brand/division? Lots of people using it as a BD player without buying software and Sony is losing lots of money per unit.

guek

Banned
They've not been at the top of the videogame industry since 2005 at a push. That's over 6 years ago. If the gaming division is their most profitable market then I really think it's an irreversible track for them.

Even in their heyday, they needed to be top dog by a wide margin in order to make a relatively marginal amount of profit. Sony used to be an electronics and tech juggernaut with video games being just another successful division. That gaming is slowly becoming more and more of a cornerstone to their company's viability is incredibly sad compared to what they once was.

Averon

If Sony's in a bad place right now, then what's going to happen if PS Vita doesn't do well enough in the next 2 years ? How much more can Sony take?

The Vita is the least of their problems. Their TV division, if it doesn't get under control soon, will kill them off long before the Vita has any impact.

EekTheKat

Shopping for a Sony TV back in the day was a baffling experience for sure.

They had one model that had all the bells and whistles (3d built in, wireless built in), but it was edge lit LED backlit.

The Full Array LED backlit TV didn't have a 3d transmitter built in, but those were extra additions.

There was also a 3rd model that had something the other two didn't, and all 3 were considered their top of the line TV's back in the day.

Nizz

I'm torn. One the one hand, I think it's highly likely that Sony will go under by the end of the decade. On the other, I'm confident Kaz Hirai can make the changes necessary to keep the company afloat. Which basically means gutting TV division and doing a complete restructuring of the Phone division.
I hope they can change their fortunes around. I really like the Sony brand. A lot of my electronics are Sony: my tv, PS3, home theater set. My PC's a Vaio.

I wouldn't say I'd go to the extreme and say I'd quit gaming. I do like Sony consoles, been gaming on them for 16 years. I'm comfortable as hell with the Dualshock design. But if Sony weren't around anymore I'd just get another console.

I'm at least confident I'll be gaming on a Sony console for another 10 years, tops. By then I think I'll be too old to game. At least hardcore. :/

yurinka

US media is trying hard to remove from the market the Japanese stuff.

This Nintendo is doomed because Apple is awesome and Sony is doomed, MS is doing great is becoming boring. I wonder if they really believe it or if they just look at US market and try to influence it more.

Top Bottom