• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Go |OT 3| "No Officer, I'm a Passenger"

gutshot

Pokemon Go Fest details announced. http://pokemongolive.com/fest

-Tickets cost $20
-Increased and rarer spawns, including at least one regional (Heracross shown in the promo photo)
-Complete challenges to unlock in-game rewards "globally"
-Special event-only 2 km eggs to drop from Pokestops
-Exclusive in-game medal for attendees

gutshot

Some more details about the new system is now up on Niantic's help pages. Here is the info on how Coins work with the new gyms:

You earn free PokéCoins for keeping your Pokémon on Gyms. The longer the Pokémon stay on the Gym, the more PokéCoins you earn. Be sure to give your Pokémon treats often to keep them on the Gym and maximize the PokéCoins you’ll earn. When your Pokémon’s motivation is reduced to zero, it will return to your collection, bringing back PokéCoins with it. You’ll receive a notification with the amount of PokéCoins earned when your Pokémon returns to you.

You redeem your PokéCoins only after your Pokémon returns from the Gym. You can redeem a maximum bonus of 100 PokéCoins per day. If you have more than one Pokémon return from Gyms in a single day, the maximum bonus for the day is still limited to 100 PokéCoins.

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/222049347

And the article on Raids says that a raid doesn't reset a gym after all:

Once you have defeated the Boss, you won’t be able to interact with the Gym until the raid has completed. After the Raid Battle has completed, the Gym is restored to its state before the raid. Any Pokémon previously assigned to the Gym return to defend the location.

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/115009004747

Pokemon Go Fest details announced. http://pokemongolive.com/fest

-Tickets cost $20
-Increased and rarer spawns, including at least one regional (Heracross shown in the promo photo)
-Complete challenges to unlock in-game rewards "globally"
-Special event-only 2 km eggs to drop from Pokestops
-Exclusive in-game medal for attendees

Can I just fucking pay Niantic $20 for regional exclusives?
If that's how they're gonna do things now.

A little peeved about there apparently being no stat balance update to come alongside this.

No shit. Especially since you know with gen 3 they will have to rework the CP of everything or the gyms will die fast. Some of the gen 3 pokemon are slated to have over 4500 CP right now. A steel/Psychic type that huge would stomp your average players battle team in a real hurry.

Firemind

A little peeved about there apparently being no stat balance update to come alongside this.
Higher cp pokemon have to be fed more berries to keep their motivation healthy or their cp will decrease more every day.

"So if you have a CP 3000 Dragonite at a gym it will go down really fast, like half in a day, something like that, the numbers are still being fine-tuned," explains Tatsuo Nomura.

https://www.reddit.com/r/TheSilphRo...uestions_about_gym_rework_answered/dj3xq0o/

zulux21

I mean it seems like gyms are going to have a quick turn over, with everyone getting booted when ever there is a raid, so while there is no stat balance it sure feels like CP will be less important and overall ability of the pokemon will be more important.

we will have to see how things go.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
No shit. Especially since you know with gen 3 they will have to rework the CP of everything or the gyms will die fast. Some of the gen 3 pokemon are slated to have over 4500 CP right now. A steel/Psychic type that huge would stomp your average players battle team in a real hurry.

but i want a 4300 cp slaking

GulAtiCa

Well, better to save that till we figure out the new meta and such for the new Gym system. Esp as it might appear that higher CP Pokemon will likely be at a greater disadvantage then lower CP Pokemon. Sounds like higher CP Pokemon will lose much more motivation quicker.

So if it's like that, then placing mid-cp, like mid 2000s CP Pokemon, will likely be better and save my high CP Pokemon for Raids.

I get it, I still think more balanced stats is very important and would be beneficial to the game. The horrible imbalance of the current version does nothing to enhance anything.

It's going to depend on what increments CP is reduced in. If it's something like -1 CP per minute and -500CP per battle, it's going to just get stacked with the big 7 like before. But instead of blissey or dragonite towers you get to fight a "variety" of the same 7-10 guys as before.

EDIT: just saw that post above, sounds like they are trying for a proportional approach. That makes me very happy.

So if it's like that, then placing mid-cp, like mid 2000s CP Pokemon, will likely be better and save my high CP Pokemon for Raids.

This is what Niantic should be shooting for. There's a ton of defense oriented pokemon that top out between 2000 and 2500 that will finally get some use in the game. Save the Dragonites and Tyranitars for raids.

gutshot

I expect Steelix might be pretty good in this meta. You can max him out and he'll only be around 2300-2400 CP and his high DEF and strong typing will make him tough to take down.

GulAtiCa

This will likely clear out over 100 pokemon that are from 800 to 1750 range that are used solely on training. Going to be nice not needing those anymore. Will obviously trade those out after the update is out of course.

I'm sad to retire my prestige squad. It was the most interesting aspect of the original gym meta. I almost never attacked gyms, so these guys were 90% of my gym interaction.

https://support.pokemongo.nianticlabs.com/hc/en-us/articles/222049347

Some good extra info in there, like this:

"You can give Berries to any Pokémon on Gyms controlled by your team. You can give any kind of Berry to Pokémon - Golden Razz Berries, Razz Berries, Nanab Berries, and Pinap Berries."

Finally they're worth something!

border

Man there is a lot to digest here.

What is the purpose of the First In, First Out system on Gyms? Why should the most recently added pokemon have priority? Isn't that only going to encourage shavers and snipers from stealing their own team members' slots?

How often will Raids occur? I don't really like the idea that every gym is probably going to be flipped several times a day. Nor do I like the idea that my Pokemon will just be kicked out of a gym just because of a Raid. It sounds like it's going to be impossible for any team to lock down an area or neighborhood.

Firemind

This will likely clear out over 100 pokemon that are from 800 to 1750 range that are used solely on training. Going to be nice not needing those anymore. Will obviously trade those out after the update is out of course.
Hope everyone has earned their Ace Trainer gold medal tho

Qwark

I get it, I still think more balanced stats is very important and would be beneficial to the game. The horrible imbalance of the current version does nothing to enhance anything.

Don't they use a formula derived from the stats in the main games? They can tweak the formula (like when Growlithe and Lapras went down), but Gyarados and Dragonite are always going to be OP.

Firemind

Man there is a lot to digest here.

What is the purpose of the First In, First Out system on Gyms? Why should the most recently added pokemon have priority? Isn't that only going to encourage shavers and snipers from stealing their own team members' slots?
I thought first in is last to battle? Also you can actively defend the gym now.

Don't they use a formula derived from the stats in the main games? They can tweak the formula (like when Growlithe and Lapras went down), but Gyarados and Dragonite are always going to be OP.

They take stats from the mainline game, and then convert them into PoGP stats using their own formula. Their conversion formula is all on them. There are much better ways to handle it, as shown by various fan "mock-ups" of new formulas (which show how they would effect stats for every Pokemon)

The first balance change wasn't due to them changing stats from the mainline games, it was due to them changing their own conversion formula.

zulux21

It sounds like it's going to be impossible for any team to lock down an area or neighborhood.

hopefully.
that will be a huge improvement for me.
means gyms will actually be something to play with instead of just a place for level 34-40 trainers to have pokemon in if they are blue.

Hope everyone has earned their Ace Trainer gold medal tho

Just checked mine...989/1000. Unbelievable. I never thought prestiging would be eliminated entirely or I would have finished this off yesterday.

The fair thing to do would be to change this badge to feeding berries.

Qwark

They take stats from the mainline game, and then convert them into PoGP stats using their own formula. Their conversion formula is all on them. There are much better ways to handle it, as shown by various fan "mock-ups" of new formulas (which show how they would effect stats for every Pokemon)

The first balance change wasn't due to them changing stats from the mainline games, it was due to them changing their own conversion formula.

That's pretty much what I said though. My point is more that Pokemon that natively have insane stats are always going to be overpowered, because they're using a formula across all Pokemon. As much as I wish it, Butterfree is just never going to be meta.

The berry system and 1 per gym goes a long way to combat stale metas though, or at least it looks like it will.

border

I thought first in is last to battle? Also you can actively defend the gym now.

However, the battle order is oldest to newest, meaning if you work hard to take out a gym and put your Blastoise in first, it will be the first Pokemon other players will fight, increasing its chance to also be the first Pokemon removed.

I don't get it at all. If I work hard to take down another team's gym, my reward is that I now receive the worst possible battle position? Somebody 5 slots down the line gets the best position?

I'm not sure if I would consider berry-feeding to be very active defense. If you are trying to take a gym down and someone from the other team shows up, then you might as well give up. They're just going to spam you with berries. I don't really like that someone can very quickly undo my accomplishment just by wasting items. The prestiging system was deeply flawed but at least it involved fighting.

That's pretty much what I said though. My point is more that Pokemon that natively have insane stats are always going to be overpowered, because they're using a formula across all Pokemon. As much as I wish it, Butterfree is just never going to be meta.

The berry system and 1 per gym goes a long way to combat stale metas though, or at least it looks like it will.

Mainline stats work better for the mainline games than PoGO stats work for PoGO. How they translate that to their game is all on them. They already made it better than before, it's not like they can't make it better. Mock-ups from fans have proved it can be way better than it is now. It's horrible as is. Implying it can't be any better is insane. I'm not going to just hand wave this issue.

Rygar 8 Bit

Jaguar 64-bit
ugh i am excited for raids but i know i am going to be fucked over its going to be a ghost town for me
really wish they went with the dragons dogma styled raid boss and put a boss out for like 24 hours with a couple million hp and let everyone go ham on them and as long as you participated you will get rewards if it is killed in time

Qwark

Mainline stats work better for the mainline games than PoGO stats work for PoGO. How they translate that to their game is all on them. They already made it better than before, it's not like they can't make it better. Mock-ups from fans have proved it can be way better than it is now. It's horrible as is. Implying it can't be any better is insane. I'm not going to just hand wave this issue.

Do you have an example of a good mock up?

Top Bottom