• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

<Quoting my own post since it got eaten by new page>
<Knowledge: History on arena combat and dueling for political causes
1d20 = 11 + 3 + 1 = 15>

"I was mostly expecting the brawl to break out right here.. I don't like that Oliff is allowed to set up his own terms for the fight; what if he does something to make the fight unfair?"

He jolts suddenly and whispers to the party, "What if they know where the glurg is!?"

<So we can only take one weapon? I may go ahead and have Fhiess bring his sword then.>

EDIT: <A rapier and a light crossbow>

((
Short sword, two dagger patches, and a wand.
Oh, you remembered those. I was not expecting them to be in consideration.

Galen's got a Mage Slayer longbow, a scimitar, a dagger, a quarterstaff, and an emergency
stash of 20 darts

Oh dear. He and Ludwig are going to be making this difficult, aren't they?

And if that last one actually comes into play here, it is likely we're in trouble.))

Mike M

Nick N
Barrow shakes his head emphatically at Fhiess's question. "Oliff don't get t'set the rules on this one, he only gets t'pick who represents him on the field." Turning his attention to Keranos, he lays out the details as best as he can recall. "It's a fight to the yield, but there's nothin' that says ye can't kill someone 'fore they can surrender. Now the key point is that th'challenger an' challenged--or their representatives--are th'ones that need be subdued. If either of 'em yields, th'fight's over. If Vess pulls out on top, she doesn't just get t'have the bill voted on, it overrides Oliff's veto outright and becomes law. If he wins, his rulin' stands. In either event, he retains his position, which is sure t'cause a whole heapin' helpin' of trouble, but we can worry 'bout that when we live through this."

The rhythmic stomping of boots and clanking of armor herald the arrival of half a dozen dwarves in plate armor wielding short-hafted war hangers and tower shield. Another six--ore lightly armored and carrying oddly complex crossbows--fill in on the upper level. Barrow grows pale.

“Th’Hectorian Honor Guard!” he says in a hoarse whisper. “But that be only 12, where--”

A piercing whistle swallows the rest of Barrow’s words as the grand double doors to the chamber open wide. A clanking mechanical monstrosity 10 feet tall lumbers forward, clouds of steam pouring out vents with every chugga chugga footstep upon legs that bend backwards like an enormous bird. It radiates heat, the raging fire within looking like a pair of glowing red eyes burning with hatred when viewed through the gate of the boiler furnace. With a metallic shink a pair of massive axe heads slide down rails set into its forearms and lock into place.

“Oh good,” Oliff smirks, “my proxy has arrived.”

“A steam golem!” Barrow wails. “Oliff, ye madman!” Wheeling, he grabs Vess’s cloak in his balled fists. “That’s an engine of war, it'll cut through you an’ yer men like a flaming scythe! It be armored in adamantite! We’ll be lucky t’scratch it, and it'll never yield!”

A look of apprehension flashes over Vess’s face before her mask of grim determination falls back into place. “If the Goddess calls me to martyrdom, so be it,” she says.

“Shall we commence?” asks Oliff.

((Time to roll initiative and get any buffs you want into effect.))

“That’s an engine of war, it'll cut through you an’ yer men like a flaming scythe!
<I read this in MGSV's Revolver Ocelot's voice about every time he wants to tell you about a helicopter>

With knuckles pressed at his sides, Fhiess slowly pivots his head upward to slowly take in the gargantuan stature of the mechanical monster. He is unable to tilt his head back far enough before stumbling back and nearly falling over. He gives Barrow a look, a mix between dread and bitterness, "Are you sure this doesn't count as fighting on Oliff's terms?"

<I have two Heroisms and two Enhance Abilities I can cast, who wants what?

Initiative: Rolling 1d20 + 3
( 8 ) + 3 = 11>

Keranos laughs im the face of danger. "Foolish," he says with bravado. "No creation of man can hope to best a god! Perhaps no manmade weapon can pierce its shell, but let us see how it fares against the fury of the storm!"

A distant sound of thunder drums, and the whipping winds around him intensify.

((Initiative roll was 17 on the die. I can't check my character sheet right now but i think im probably at +1.

So its either 17 or 18))

Mike M

Nick N
((Damn, that's a good roll)

Thosar knows golems in general are highly resilient; Not only are they immune to conditions that would afflict flesh and blood ((Immune to charmed, frightened, exhaustion, paralyzed, petrified, and poisoned)), they are immune to damage from nonmagical weapons not made from the same stuff as its armor, and probably a few other forms of damage to boot. Furthermore, they are resistant to magic, and the spells that animate them infuse their every attack and act as magical damage. They are very tough customers.

This golem in particular appears to be steam-powered; without its boiler, it would be unable to function. If it were immersed or soaked in a sufficient quantity of water, it might put its fire out.

((Would create water work for dousing purposes? If yes, does Vess have that available to cast?
Since heroism and ability enhancement are both concentration, I would recommend a non buff like, say, silent image to distract the golem.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Would create water work for dousing purposes? If yes, does Vess have that available to cast?
Since heroism and ability enhancement are both concentration, I recommend heroism for Ludwig and whoever else feels like getting melee.))

((Yes, Vess is a caster. You'd have to try Create Water and see if it worked : P))

Thosar makes a quick aside to Vess "The golem depends on its boiler. If you can get a large amount of water inside, that could shut it down."

<Oh that's right, concentration is a thing. I should probably not allocate duplicate spells because of that.

I have a different idea for my first combat round, but I think it depends on what Fhiess knows about robots or what the limitations on create water are.>

Nezumi

((Sagishi is probably useless against the golem. But since he can now turn invisible he'll at least get his stealth bonus on his attacks rather easy and deal with the other enemies.

Oh, and I think his crossbow is now a mage slayer as well, or did we not do that to afford Ludwig's armor?))

((12 on initiative here. Fortunately, Ludwig got his weapon silvered so he should be able to do full damage to the golem if distractions or water don't hold.))
Ludwig laughs and says "On the contrary, we already have an advantage! Our side has a siege engine too, and we don't lose by default if I get overwhelmed. I'll rain liberty on that scrap heap if it gets too bold."

((Sagishi is probably useless against the golem. But since he can now turn invisible he'll at least get his stealth bonus on his attacks rather easy and deal with the other enemies.

Oh, and I think his crossbow is now a mage slayer as well, or did we not do that to afford Ludwig's armor?))
((I think Sagishi got mage slayer, so his weapon will do magic damage. 5e sneak attacks work on everything, so Mr. Golem is fair game for you.))

Fhiess begins to feel uplifted by the knowledge of Ludwig's siege weapon, "Brilliant! When do we roll it out for battle?"

<So I think create water requires a container of some sort? Fhiess could use Mage Hand to lift the container and pour it onto the boiler from a distance.>

((Let's do this!

Initiative: [10]+3=13
Advantage: [18]+3=21

I think Sagishi got mage slayer, so his weapon will do magic damage. 5e sneak attacks work on everything, so Mr. Golem is fair game for you.
Actually, I think Sagishi got his crossbow magnetized, and, why, would you look at all these well-armored dwarves and their massive machine of death metal?

For reference, here's the Bellows Enchantment Effects.

So I think create water requires a container of some sort? Fhiess could use Mage Hand to lift the container and pour it onto the boiler from a distance.]

If it's needed, Galen's got a waterskin. Five pounds, holds four pints. It was never actually intended to be useful, but it's available.

As for the opposition and the field, could we have a general layout of where everything is? Are the crossbow guard at a position that grants advantage? How large is the area, and is there anywhere to hide?

Galen's opening move is mostly sorted out already just by what we know, but, there is the question of setting up buffs. Galen has two spell choices, but one is a new spell with a minor -I believe- material component. I figure Galen has to wait until he makes a special trip to acquire the component before considering the spell?

If he does, would Hunter's Mark be acceptable as a pre-combat buff?

Just to make sure I don't forget part of my rolls:
Attack = 1d20+Ability Mod+Proficiency+1d4(Bless)
Damage = Weapon+Ability Mod+Proficiency(+Hunter's Mark if applicable)

And something of actual importance: is DeadPhoenix still around?))

((I forgot about that. So yes, Sagishi uses sneak attack damage on every hit against these guys. Only trouble is that he also is even squishier than normal. I doubt those archers are going to just leave him alone.))

Nezumi

((Good thing is he's rather hard to hit when he is invisibile. He just have to keep moving.

Also, would the inside of the golems boiler not count as a container?))

Mike M

Nick N
((Create Water either produces rain over like a 30ft area I think, or 10 gallons in an open container. The boiler's not an open container, so you can't magic the water directly into it.

Hunter's Mark is fair game as a buff.

Material components that have no monetary value either have to be supplied at the time of casting, or the user can opt to buy a component pouch that acts as though it has everything necessary. Anything with a monetary value needs to be explicitly purchased or otherwise acquired. I don't think Galen picked up a component pouch.

I doubt DeadPhoenix will be rejoining us.))

<Actually why am I even bothering with Heroism, since Enhance Ability: Bear's Endurnace is better?

Do advantage rolls gained from Enhance Ability apply to combat checks? If so I'll let Ludwig decide what he wants otherwise I'll just cast Bear's Endurance on him.>

<Ah, I forgot about that. For some reason I always thought it was a once time buff. That would make it worth slotting in higher levels in the future then.>

((I'll go with heroism. Mike's post makes it sound like bear's endurance wouldn't apply to potential con saves, so 3 hp per turn beats 2D6 once.

Actually, would a roll to sunder the door or grate (if there is one) on the golem's boiler to make it easier to throw a ton of water in there be an attack or a check? If it's a check, using enhance ability to bolster strength might be the best move, but if it's an attack, let's stick worth heroism.

EDIT: I just had another thought. If there is nothing covering the fire, strength is still probably the way to go. If Ludwig upends one of his bags, there's Sagishi's open container. But 10 gallons, assuming we're talking imperial, weighs 100 pounds. That's easily in Ludwig's overhead carry range, but he'll probably need a strength check to toss a bunch of water in the boiler))

((
I don't think Galen picked up a component pouch.
He did not, which is why I figured he would be sticking with Hunter's Mark for this fight, but I also figured I might as well double-check.
I doubt DeadPhoenix will be rejoining us.
That's a bit sad...
Actually, would a roll to sunder the door or grate (if there is one) on the golem's boiler to make it easier to throw a ton of water in there be an attack or a check?
If it has a grate, isn't it open to the air (which makes sense, because it's fire), and therefore not closed? So it simply doesn't count as a container, than? (It's probably not a grate.)
Slightly embarrassed to say that I'm pretty sure the storm god doesn't have a way of dealing water damage :/
Any ice to melt in the fire?
Probably going to get the map up when I get home, sounds like we've got people locked and loaded?
I haven't really anything else for Galen to do.

I figure this information comes with the map?
As for the opposition and the field, could we have a general layout of where everything is? Are the crossbow guard at a position that grants advantage? How large is the area, and is there anywhere to hide?
))

Galen eyes the opposing force as they enter. They appear formidable, but not insurmountable. If they can only avoid undue deaths in this contest...

But an imposing metal form takes his attention as it enters, a terribly dangerous looking construct. Galen takes a small step back, twirling his walking quarterstaff.

"Lift up the downtrodden..." he quietly tells himself. He stows his staff as he eyes the archers getting into position, solemnly reaching for his bow.

((Hunter's Mark on an, apparently, undisclosed archer dwarf.))

Mike M

Nick N
If it has a grate, isn't it open to the air (which makes sense, because it's fire), and therefore not closed? So it simply doesn't count as a container, than? (It's probably not a grate.)

((No. You're not one-shotting the boss with a 1st level spell.))

((Here're the initial positions on the map, Team Bad Guys beat you out on the initiative roll, so they're going first. Archers have half cover and advantage due to their elevation above everyone else. Tons of opportunity for cover, as you can see. Each tier of desks and chairs is at a 5ft elevation above the one in front of it (the first being elevated above the chamber floor). If you're not going up the stairs, you can either burn some additional movement to Climb it, or you can take an Athletics check to make the jump as a bonus action. Same deal if you want to get up on the desks. Getting down from the desks is free, jumping down from a higher tier is an Acrobatics check. Ludwig is kind of stuck in the middle with the Steam Golem because I made this map before Axel decided to be a fucking giraffe.

This is a pretty complicated map and difficult to convey in two dimensions, so hit me with any questions you may have.))

<Dang, I just realized if I want to cast another important spell, I'd have to drop concentration on Heroism. I'll just wait until Heroism wears out its use.

I get the idea of the map for the most part, my only question is how much smaller the non-varnished tables in the main area are compared to the desks and if they're not nearly as tall (as they appear because of the smaller shadows)?>

((How high up are the archers?

FYI to the party, I want to go last when it gets to be our turn. I advise everyone to focus on the dudes on our level, because i have something up my sleeve for the archers))

Mike M

Nick N
<Dang, I just realized if I want to cast another important spell, I'd have to drop concentration on Heroism. I'll just wait until Heroism wears out its use.

I get the idea of the map for the most part, my only question is how much smaller the non-varnished tables in the main area are compared to the desks and if they're not nearly as tall (as they appear because of the smaller shadows)?>
((The desks and tables are both waist height and would provide total cover from the archers, as would they from anyone taking cover. They only look different because I no art good and used a mismatched set of assets.))

((How high up are the archers?

FYI to the party, I want to go last when it gets to be our turn))
((30ft.))

<Dang, I just realized if I want to cast another important spell, I'd have to drop concentration on Heroism. I'll just wait until Heroism wears out its use.>
((Don't be afraid to let go of a spell if you have a better use for another. Illusions or crowd control could come in very handy here. I'd like to also point out to those Blessed and concentrating on spells: If you are struck and need to make a concentration save or have to make a death saving throw, Bless applies to them. Enjoy :D

And man, that map is intimidating. I really wish I had fireball right now, but that level of knowledge cleric is so nice.

MikeM:
The golem's first (or most dangerous, if there is one) attack is going to be a natural 1 because Portent.
))

((
No. You're not one-shotting the boss with a 1st level spell.
Didn't expect to. I was just curious as to how this was working.
I want to go last when it gets to be our turn. I advise everyone to focus on the dudes on our level, because i have something up my sleeve for the archers
Galen was really planning on taking down the archers, but if Keranos communicates this, he can probably get Galen to shift focus.

So, are the drow all archers? And how is Y15 looking as cover?))

Nezumi

((Im guessing that second story work means Sagishi can move up and and down the rows without spending additional movement, correct?))

Mike M

Nick N
((The drow have short swords and short bows. If you're crouching, Y15 would give you half cover from two of the archers on the right, 3/4ths from the third.))

Top Bottom