• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

KS8000 settings for gaming at 4k/HDR

Need some advice receivng HDR10 from PC.

I'm running MEA from PC > TV using a 18gbs HDMI cable and trying to get HDR working. When I enable HDR in MEA, the colors look very very muted and "off", whilst with HDR off the colours look great and vibrant..

My NVIDIA Control Panel is outputting 4:2:2 at 12Bit. Running game mode on the TV. Any ideas?

Try turning HDMI Black level to Low.

HDR can appear washed out upon first viewing, but once one is used to it it's hard to go back to over-saturated colors.

Also you don't need to set the Nvidia control panel as you have, the game will change automatically.

JMY86

I'm running MEA from PC > TV using a 18gbs HDMI cable and trying to get HDR working. When I enable HDR in MEA, the colors look very very muted and "off", whilst with HDR off the colours look great and vibrant..

My NVIDIA Control Panel is outputting 4:2:2 at 12Bit. Running game mode on the TV. Any ideas?

Is the input set to PC? If not select the input and push up to edit then select PC. I use input 2 with this set to PC with 4:2:2 12 bit and my game looks fantastic the HDR in this game is the truth. If the input is not set to PC things look washed out for me.

philm87

So what are the best settings for PS4 pro and KS8000? I see all sorts of mixed instructions.

I think the best thing is to use the settings from rtings.com: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

Then just make adjustments from that to suit your personal preference.

The mixed instructions are just because everyone's personal preferences are different (i.e. some prefer a brighter more vibrant image so will turn Dynamic contrast on, but on the flip side others prefer accuracy for the picture so will leave this off).

Yoday

I think the best thing is to use the settings from rtings.com: http://uk.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000/settings

The mixed instructions are just because everyone's personal preferences are different (i.e. some prefer a brighter more vibrant image so will turn Dynamic contrast on, but on the flip side others prefer accuracy for the picture so will leave this off).
Agreed, always go with personal preference in the end. Everything says to put sharpness at 0, but I like a little bit and always have. Additionally everyone suggests Warm 1 for the color tone, but I think it looks terrible and muddy compared to standard, which appears far more natural to my eyes. Also, I'm using movie mode to avoid manually changing the brightness all the time, and I don't notice any real change in input lag. Everyone perceives things differently, so follow the guidelines but don't worry about deviating from them.

AndyD

aka andydumi
http://dcdigitaltv.co.uk/product/samsung-ue49ks8000-49-4k-ultra-hd-hdr-led-smart-tv/

I just picked up the last one for a discounted price of £700. Arriving Friday, and I can't wait. Is there a definite calibration for this set, or does it vary?

Agreed, always go with personal preference in the end. Everything says to put sharpness at 0, but I like a little bit and always have. Additionally everyone suggests Warm 1 for the color tone, but I think it looks terrible and muddy compared to standard, which appears far more natural to my eyes. Also, I'm using movie mode to avoid manually changing the brightness all the time, and I don't notice any real change in input lag. Everyone perceives things differently, so follow the guidelines but don't worry about deviating from them.

Thanks guys. That's pretty much where I am. Now what about ensuring HDR? I set UHC color on for the PS4's HDMI input. Is that all? Anyway to check while watching, like an "info" on the current display?

MazeHaze

Banned

I don't have MEA but I've played a few HDR games and have noticed the game has to be in exclusive full screen in order for HDR to work. Try alt+enter or switching to exclusive fs in menu.

Yoday

Thanks guys. That's pretty much where I am. Now what about ensuring HDR? I set UHC color on for the PS4's HDMI input. Is that all? Anyway to check while watching, like an "info" on the current display?
Press the home button and select the input you're currently on, a few seconds ones later it will display info. As for HDR settings the most important thing is to make sure backlight is set to max. I also set dynamic contrast to medium or high. Turning it off creates a super dim image in my experience. Some might say that higher settings for dynamic contrast creates black crush, but I haven't found that to be true at all.

Yopis

Press the home button and select the input you're currently on, a few seconds ones later it will display info. As for HDR settings the most important thing is to make sure backlight is set to max. I also set dynamic contrast to medium or high. Turning it off creates a super dim image in my experience. Some might say that higher settings for dynamic contrast creates black crush, but I haven't found that to be true at all.

It's true for sure.

Do any of you guys, gals have MLB 17 THE SHOW on the regular, old PS4? I ask because it supports HDR but I have no clue as to how far to the right I need to slide the HDR intensity gauge. Anyone help me out with this please?

Heel

It's true for sure.

I've never really checked it out. Looking at the trees on the Horizon title screen right now and flipping through the Dynamic Contrast settings with Smart LED on high.

Dynamic Contrast on High seems to be a weird setting compared to Low and Medium on my TV...almost appears overall darker than Medium, and crushes the blacks for sure.

Low and Medium don't seem to be crushing, but haven't really looked into it very deeply to say 100% sure. Not in a dark room right now, either.

Always been fine with Dynamic Contrast set to off, honestly.

Heel

RE: Dynamic Contrast

Yeah, looking at a dark hallway in The Witness that ends in sunlight hitting white rocks. Dynamic Contrast set to "off" just seems like the correct setting to me.

In the other settings, it no longer feels like you're in a dark hallway, and the white rocks in the sunlight look blown out.

HDR isn't all about the bright end of the range. It also allows dark scenes to feel dark, while still displaying detail. I thought the Ghost Recon: Wildlands demo did a great job at showcasing this when you turn on your headlights at night.

But yeah, if you can't stand it, I guess "Low" or "Medium" Dynamic Contrast is an option? "High" is definitely a no-no setting though, IMO...haha.

Thought I'd wade into the murky waters of the Dynamic Contrast settings for HDR. For what it's worth, I had my KS8000 professionally calibrated after I purchased it. After getting my color settings fine tuned specifically for HDR, I definitely prefer leaving Dynamic Contrast off. Before I had it calibrated, I preferred a little bit of Dynamic Contrast though. Dynamic Contrast was functioning as an artificial bump to help colors stand out more with my out of the box settings. Now that my colors on the set are locked into industry standards that the developers probably adhered to when shipping the game, the Dynamic Contrast no longer helps, and everything looks better naturally with this feature off. At the end of the day, if Dynamic Contrast floats your boat, go for it. You paid the $ for the TV, so you should set it how you enjoy it. And depending on your out of the box factory settings, your colors might be slightly off to begin with anyway, so a little artificial tweaking may make it more visually appealing if you don't want to splash for an official calibration like I did.

Demonfang

Banned
HELP.

Does anyone get an issue when playing hdr content where the screen will go black for a couple seconds and then the image will reappear saying 'an HDR video is playing'. Its like hdr switches on and off sometimes?

Any work around?

csamuelsvt

Neo Member
Playing MLB the SHow 17.

How do you unlock the HDMI Black level in game mode? A lot of people including me are having a darker image and have to use dynamic contrast on medium/high to make everything less dark. Is this the key as to why everything is so dark and some of us have to use Dynamic Contrast at medium or high. It can not be changed in game mode for me and actually i cant unlock it when I am in regular normal mode or whatever you call it.

Please help!

philm87

Playing MLB the SHow 17.

How do you unlock the HDMI Black level in game mode? A lot of people including me are having a darker image and have to use dynamic contrast on medium/high to make everything less dark. Is this the key as to why everything is so dark and some of us have to use Dynamic Contrast at medium or high. It can not be changed in game mode for me and actually i cant unlock it when I am in regular normal mode or whatever you call it.

Please help!

It's in hdr so HDMI black level is disabled as it doesn't apply to this. Make sure the eco sensor is turned off on the tv, turn the backlight up to max, turn brightness up slightly, turn gamma up.

If you have the console RGB range set to full, the tv needs to be set to Normal, if it's set to limited, the tv needs to be set to low. But again,.this doesn't apply to hdr content.

Yoday

It's in hdr so HDMI black level is disabled as it doesn't apply to this. Make sure the eco sensor is turned off on the tv, turn the backlight up to max, turn brightness up slightly, turn gamma up.

If you have the console RGB range set to full, the tv needs to be set to Normal, if it's set to limited, the tv needs to be set to low. But again,.this doesn't apply to hdr content.
I'll try tweaking some more settings with dynamic off as well and see if it helps. I've always been the type of person that goes for a more calibrated and natural look over blowing out the image, but for me, dynamic off makes HDR content way too dark. It's to the point that colors feel extremely muted way beyond what you would get from the typically darker tone that calibration gives. For example, white is far more in the realm of grey than it is an actual white. And to be clear, it's only like this with HDR enabled. Dynamic off looks great with SDR content. I'm also always in a well lit room(with no direct light on the screen though), so that could be a factor as well.

HELP.

Does anyone get an issue when playing hdr content where the screen will go black for a couple seconds and then the image will reappear saying 'an HDR video is playing'. Its like hdr switches on and off sometimes?

Any work around?
I'm still having a new-ish issue where my video drops once or twice a few minutes after playing, but then seems ok for the rest of the session.

I haven't tested it, but I've been coming out of rest mode, and my PS4 pro is going through the PSVR breakout box (with whatever crummy 1.4 cable that came with it). I'm not sure if that or a recent firmware update is giving it an issue.

It could be you have something similar.

It's quite annoying, and I'm not sure if someone discovered a fix.

ss_lemonade

Sadly no.
Either undock every time, or wait and pray for a patch.
This has never been a problem for me with my ks9000. Could it be because my Switch (and everything else) is connected to my receiver? I also don't see the problem while in the middle of using the TV's native apps like youtube (or does hdmi switching not occur during those instances?)

Syrus

Banned
Thought I'd wade into the murky waters of the Dynamic Contrast settings for HDR. For what it's worth, I had my KS8000 professionally calibrated after I purchased it. After getting my color settings fine tuned specifically for HDR, I definitely prefer leaving Dynamic Contrast off. Before I had it calibrated, I preferred a little bit of Dynamic Contrast though. Dynamic Contrast was functioning as an artificial bump to help colors stand out more with my out of the box settings. Now that my colors on the set are locked into industry standards that the developers probably adhered to when shipping the game, the Dynamic Contrast no longer helps, and everything looks better naturally with this feature off. At the end of the day, if Dynamic Contrast floats your boat, go for it. You paid the $ for the TV, so you should set it how you enjoy it. And depending on your out of the box factory settings, your colors might be slightly off to begin with anyway, so a little artificial tweaking may make it more visually appealing if you don't want to splash for an official calibration like I did.

The issue isnt colors so much that in with it off its like the pictures becomes grayer , or foggy almost but clears up with any DC setting

This has never been a problem for me with my ks9000. Could it be because my Switch (and everything else) is connected to my receiver? I also don't see the problem while in the middle of using the TV's native apps like youtube (or does hdmi switching not occur during those instances?)
Actually I just moved my switch to my receiver (because of stupid LPCM instead of dolby). I should leave the switch on and see if it does the same issue.

I know that when I turn on my PC or bring it out of sleep mode, the tv will autos-switch to a new input signal, and Samsung forums haven't found a way to prevent this 'feature'. I assumed the Switch is doing roughly the same thing as it goes out of sleep mode for a hot minute. The Wii did the same thing when WiiConnect 24 was on.

I hope this hasn't been asked already, but - is it better just to set the Wii U to 720p when using this TV?

Since most of those games render at 720p anyway, and the TV probably does a better job upscaling that to 4K than the Wii U does taking it to 1080p and the TV to 4K?

Noticed most of my Wii U games looked noticeably worse on this TV than my old 1080p set, and setting Zelda to 720p looked a whole hell of a lot better.

ss_lemonade

Black level doesn't apply with HDR content? I'm pretty sure I could still toggle black level between full and limited and have a washed out image/crushed blacks in HDR games

Yoday

The issue isnt colors so much that in with it off its like the pictures becomes grayer , or foggy almost but clears up with any DC setting
Exactly. It almost feels like the backlight is being forced to a lower setting internally​ while HDR is on even though it's at 20 in the menus. After messaging with the settings I find that DC off is nearly identical to DC at medium with the backlight turned down to six or seven. I mean, maybe that works for folks in completely dark rooms, but in my environment it means I have a hard time seeing what's on screen if it's a dark scene, and color is nearly eradicated.

philm87

Exactly. It almost feels like the backlight is being forced to a lower setting internally​ while HDR is on even though it's at 20 in the menus. After messaging with the settings I find that DC off is nearly identical to DC at medium with the backlight turned down to six or seven. I mean, maybe that works for folks in completely dark rooms, but in my environment it means I have a hard time seeing what's on screen if it's a dark scene, and color is nearly eradicated.

Turn up the gamma and try to change the colour setting to 55 or 60 ish.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
I'm finding that dynamic contrast set to high doesn't crush my blacks much if at all.

With Mass Effect, these are the HDR settings I'm rolling with:

PS4:
2160p - YUV420 (on auto it flashes to black screen every so often)
RGB full
HDR auto
Deep colour auto

TV:
Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 44
Contrast 98
Sharpness 22
Colour 58 (find it helps counteract the HDR washed out look)
Smart LED high
Dynamic contrast high
Colour tone standard
Colour space native

philm87

I'm finding that dynamic contrast set to high doesn't crush my blacks much if at all.

With Mass Effect, these are the HDR settings I'm rolling with:

PS4:
2160p - YUV420 (on auto it flashes to black screen every so often)
RGB full
HDR auto
Deep colour auto

TV:
Game mode
Backlight 20
Brightness 44
Contrast 98
Sharpness 22
Colour 58 (find it helps counteract the HDR washed out look)
Smart LED high
Dynamic contrast high
Colour tone standard
Colour space native

With 2160p - YUV420 you're only getting 8-bit HDR, so worth trying to solve the issue with it flashing on/off.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Guys, stop saying this.
beli.png

You're 100% getting crushed blacks and blown out whites. You can't artificially increase contrast on an image without that happening. You might not notice, might not care, or might prefer it and that's all fine but it's absolutely happening.

thuway

Mind sharing your settings? :)

AndyD

aka andydumi

Holy crap, played Ratchet and Clank last night in 4k HDR. It's glorious!

But going back to the dashboard with backlight at 20 is eye searing. I need to invest in a bias soft led lightstrip to plug into the back usb.

Melubas

Question: When hooking up my pc to this TV and pushing the middle button (the one where the TV tells me what resolution and hz the signal is), it says 4096x2160 60p, proper 2160p. The thing is that even when I change the resolution in windows to 3840x2160 this doesn't change, the tv still Thinks the signal is 4096x2160. Can I fix this in some way? Does it even matter? I don't want the image to get stretched in any way. I'm not even sure the tv can do this resolution properly.

jbug617

Banned
I just checked Best Buy and they don't have any KS8000 in my area. They only have KS8500 (actually a little cheaper than ks8000)and from what I can tell the only major difference is that the TV is curved.

Any experience buying a tv from Amazon (they have ks8000). How good are their warranties compared to BB?

Any experience buying a tv from Amazon (they have ks8000). How good are their warranties compared to BB?
I got mine from amazon, and they had a free service where two guys deliver, unpack, and install it for you. Or, try to install, and couldn't figure out how to pair the remote.

But still, it was nice.

The return process could be nightmarish if you don't immediately notice an issue when they are still there.

Skulldead

I just checked Best Buy and they don't have any KS8000 in my area. They only have KS8500 (actually a little cheaper than ks8000)and from what I can tell the only major difference is that the TV is curved.

Same the Amazon seller is not amazon, but it's 150$ less then BB.... i'm on the fence to buy it....

philm87

I asked in the TV thread but no one answered. Does the Q7 series fix the HDR Game Mode setting bug?

I doubt anyone knows, not the sort of thing that would be put up in reviews. I'd don't think it would anyway as the firmware is probably very similar, and if they'd probably update it on the KS series at the same time.

Top Bottom