• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Update Ver. 4.0.0 Live! Some video capture, transfer profiles/saves

]I believe 30 seconds is the limit of the Nvidia chip used, it probably has a hardware buffer and that's the maximum it can store.[/B] They can't just magically make it record longer without either A. Affecting the system performance or B. A new hardware revision with a bigger buffer.

Recording to either the NAND or an SDCard constantly would significantly reduce their life span which would be an unbelievably stupid move.

There is definitely no buffer that big in the SoC, nor would that make sense given how every other platform implements these solutions (rolling file buffers). Considering the 1GB system RAM they *could* theoretically be reserving ~200MB and doing it in RAM which would massively limit it's room for expansion, but I don't think anyone's done it like that before and costs memory bandwidth. (Curiously, Shield TV has no recent-history record :'( )

There’s quite a few tweaks, re-wordings and new options if you really poke around. One people might not have seen is you can adjust the playback speed of videos in News.
X will adjust speed to 1.25x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 0.75x and back to 1.0x.

There is definitely no buffer that big in the SoC, nor would that make sense given how every other platform implements these solutions (rolling file buffers). Considering the 1GB system RAM they *could* theoretically be reserving ~200MB and doing it in RAM which would massively limit it's room for expansion, but I don't think anyone's done it like that before and costs memory bandwidth. (Curiously, Shield TV has no recent-history record :'( )
Rolling file buffers only really work on hard drives; they would severely lower the lifespan of flash memory like SD cards. It’s my belief that the 30 seconds are being recorded into RAM, and then saved out to storage when you press the capture button. I also believe that’s why games have to opt-in to support it, because that could affect performance depending on the game.

Rolling file buffers only really work on hard drives; they would severely lower the lifespan of flash memory like SD cards. It’s my belief that the 30 seconds are being recorded into RAM, and then saved out to storage when you press the capture button.

Given they want to expand to 5 minutes though [according to Kotaku], they pretty much have to be doing. Probably something larger like 10 second chunks rather than 1-2, and just taking partial clips where needed. Still gonna reduce your write life of the flash memory... but who here has ever reached that? If Kotaku are on the ball that is.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Probably already been mentioned but the activity log now shows exact hours played for under 5 hours. Why not do it for things over 5 hours?

Why not just show the exact time played down to the minute, like previous generations? A few Switch OS questions that boggle the mind.

rudger

Not sure why capture mode doesn't work with everything at a system level.

The Wii U had a screenshot feature, but it was also opt-in. I believe Capcom was against turning it on for Monster Hunter. I wouldn’t be surprised if having dealt with something like this in the past is what drove this decision. That Kotaku article makes it sound like it will be simple to turn on in the future. So worst case is a few launch titles won’t ever get the feature if the devs never update.

Can I transfer my boyfriend's Splatoon 2 data to his Switch? Both his account on my Switch and his account on his Switch are tied to the same Nintendo ID.

Dark-VIII

tried with my Logitech G933, doesn't work unfortunately, it detects it, i can turn the volume down and up wirelessly from the headset, but i have no sound and it prevent me from moving the controller, very weird

Was going to ask if it's supported coz i am planning to get one :(

-shadow-

Can I transfer my boyfriend's Splatoon 2 data to his Switch? Both his account on my Switch and his account on his Switch are tied to the same Nintendo ID.
I guess a transfer should be possible, but purchases made with that Nintendo Account can still only be used on one of the two systems. Unless that's been changed with this update, but it's Nintendo so I doubt that.

Killyoh

I captured two videos with Zelda in handheld mode but they look terrible.

https://twitter.com/ForkballMono/status/921017445816573952

https://twitter.com/ForkballMono/status/921019639085154305

Is it a symptom of the handheld mode or is Twitter just acting weird?
Twitter compresses a lot and you have to wait for a bit after upload for the video to be less blurry. Don't know why, maybe a process on their server. It looks ok to me, as long as I don't display it in fullscreen.

I'm surprised that this is technically possible. If it saves the last 30 seconds of footage, that means the Switch is always recording and throwing away anything more than 30 seconds old.

I know the PS4 does it but that's a larger and more powerful console overall. And even then, I thought Sony put in extra hardware specifically to aid in video recording/streaming. On a PC without a capture card, recording video always leads to some level of performance degradation.

Hero

Hypothetical question here:

Switch 1 has a microSD card with save data, photos, and digital games.

Switch 2 is brand new.

Can you take the microSD card out of Switch 1 and plug it into Switch 2 and access the saves/photos/digital games or no?

Blackie

Anyone else have a super sensitive sleep mode now? It's fine when the joycons are connected to the console in handheld mode but when I remove the joycons to store them for travel (in my halfsize bag) the console now constantly comes back on. It seems like I have to fully shut the console off to keep the screen off :(

Hypothetical question here:

Switch 1 has a microSD card with save data, photos, and digital games.

Switch 2 is brand new.

Can you take the microSD card out of Switch 1 and plug it into Switch 2 and access the saves/photos/digital games or no?

Digital games definitely won't work—they're cryptographically signed to only work on the original system. This has been the system in place since the Wii.

On the Wii, you could transfer saves, but then they locked saves down on the 3DS, so I"d imagine the same is true on the Switch.

I imagine photos would transfer.

Anyone else have a super sensitive sleep mode now? It's fine when the joycons are connected to the console in handheld mode but when I remove the joycons to store them for travel (in my halfsize bag) the console now constantly comes back on. It seems like I have to fully shut the console off to keep the screen off :(

Is the "press button three times to unlock" thing on? If so, I'd imagine you aren't losing too much battery, the screen doesn't stay on for long unless you unlock it.

Hero

Digital games definitely won't work—they're cryptographically signed to only work on the original system. This has been the system in place since the Wii.

On the Wii, you could transfer saves, but then they locked saves down on the 3DS, so I"d imagine the same is true on the Switch.

I imagine photos would transfer.

Is the "press button three times to unlock" thing on? If so, I'd imagine you aren't losing too much battery, the screen doesn't stay on for long unless you unlock it.

Gotcha. Is that similar to how PS4/Xbox One do it? If the situation was exactly the same but with either of those systems?

How do save transfers actually work? I have a 100+ hour BOTW save on my friend's machine that I need to get onto my new machine. Are they via wifi? Wired?

Also, are saves locked to the profile they were created with? So, for example, before transferring my save from my friend's machine, I assume I should link that profile to my Nintendo account, and then do the transfer, so that the save is associated with my main profile, yes?

edit: I'm really struggling to parse this language from Nintendo:
A Nintendo Account must be linked to the user account you wish to transfer on the source console, and cannot be linked to a user account on the target console.

So...I'm boned? I can't transfer my save file onto my master Nintendo account linked profile on my new machine?

shanafan

Curious, has anyone tried getting a wireless keyboard to work with the Switch? I know it supports USB keyboards, but wonder if my wireless keyboard with the USB dongle would work.

NimbusD

Splatoon 2 actually has this for local multiplayer. So, it's not that they can, it's just they won't.
Yeah I know they can. It just reminded me of that argument people were making that the switch wasn't capable. What I meant was that they made recording video a higher priority than something that actually affects gameplay.

OryoN

Has anyone else been having significant delays when trying to upload captured videos to Twitter? I trying to upload a Splatoon 2 clip and it's taking forever. This is my second attempt, it's been nearly 10 mins now, the processing icon is just there spinning. It's not frozen cause I can back out if I want to. This shouldn't take that long. Just me?

-shadow-

Yeah I know they can. It just reminded me of that argument people were making that the switch wasn't capable. What I meant was that they made recording video a higher priority than something that actually affects gameplay.
Ah, well ignore me in that case! :D

My friend bought a Switch and transferred her account off of my Switch, onto her new Switch. Her BotW save file is on my console, and her Stardew Valley save is on her console..

My question is, can I transfer her BotW save to her new Switch without overwriting her Stardew Valley save? Can I merge accounts, essentially?

I’m in the exact same situation. Anyone know? I’d love to transfer my save file but not if it deletes all the save files on my target system.

PikkonX

I'm surprised that this is technically possible. If it saves the last 30 seconds of footage, that means the Switch is always recording and throwing away anything more than 30 seconds old.

I know the PS4 does it but that's a larger and more powerful console overall. And even then, I thought Sony put in extra hardware specifically to aid in video recording/streaming. On a PC without a capture card, recording video always leads to some level of performance degradation.

Somewhat similar here as it's an Nvidia feature built into the SOC. Just like Shadowplay on the GTX cards. My 970 records with no noticable decrease in performance.

M3d10n

I mean we're talking about writing to SD at somewhere around 650 KB/s, that's not exactly high demands there lol. I'm shocked they can't keep that running for hours, even days on a larger SD card.

Yeah, but if the game is installed on the SD it will have to fight with it for bandwidth. I also remembered something that might play a bigger role: flash memory wear and tear of constant writing since it's always recording. Keeping the capture in RAM and only saving it when requested has a much smaller impact.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There's quite a few tweaks, re-wordings and new options if you really poke around. One people might not have seen is you can adjust the playback speed of videos in News.
X will adjust speed to 1.25x, 1.5x, 2.0x, 0.75x and back to 1.0x.

I actually wish videos would play back decently at all :p I always get choppy vid playback, no matter what.

I noticed something with video capture (handheld)

I captured a clip of Zelda last night. Went to the gallery to watch it and it was all very low framerate.

I closed the gallery and then went back into it and then the clip suddenly played all smoothly. So.....I dunno.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
We have no idea what the status of the SDK was like when Switch launched.

Obviously, it was very barebones. So it is clearly a case that they didn't yet have anything in place.

A year from now, no one will care that an 8 month old system didn't support video recording in every game from the moment the feature launched.

It's something so minor, it's not even worth being upset about.

They already had the flag for screenshots/capture blocking... can you name a case where screenshots recording is not allowed where video recording would? Can you name cases on Xbox One and PS4 where video recording is not allowed but screenshots are?

The bar with Nintendo’s Switch (in order to be allowed to be upset about something) seems ridicousy high and moving ;).

I noticed something with video capture (handheld)

I captured a clip of Zelda last night. Went to the gallery to watch it and it was all very low framerate.

I closed the gallery and then went back into it and then the clip suddenly played all smoothly. So.....I dunno.

gamexplain had the same issue with docked mode capture, either the system is still doing stuff behind the scenes or it's a small bug they will iron out.

Anyone figure out what the joycon update was for?

Did you run the joycon update manually? last time I tried that about a month ago there was nothing new so let me try again on 4.0.

*edit* yup there was a new update, blue left joycon updated quickly but the red right joycon took about 40 seconds.

Did you run the joycon update manually? last time I tried that about a month ago there was nothing new so let me try again on 4.0.

*edit* yup there was a new update, blue left joycon updated quickly but the red right joycon took about 40 seconds.

Hope this fixes the issue where my R joy-con’s battery would deplete even when not in use.

Top Bottom