• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Etrian Odyssey V: Beyond the Myth |OT| Unleash the Beast!

tuffy

I don't think it is that hard to imagine something like holding down R2 full-screens the map and puts it in edit mode.

I'm usually stopping for a second when I add map features, anyways. It's okay to make it slightly clunkier.
You'd need to be able to see the map and labyrinth at the same time which complicates things a little (transparent map? resizing windows? something else?) and a solution for running the game on a TV would also be good (JoyCon pointer, ala World of Goo?). It's easy to spitball a number of possible solutions, but it's not obvious what the developers will settle on. We'll just have to wait and see!

omlet

Also looking for some advice. Looked into the second names for the party members i use and all are pretty obvious for me, except one. I don't really know what i want to do with my masurao. The party i have at the moment is (with legendary titles that i want to use):

You're a few floors ahead of me so I'm not sure what kinds of enemies are giving you trouble, but it is worth noting that Blade Master gets an elemental attack and also gets an attack that has a chance to apply all 3 binds which may have good synergy with your pugilist.

Neoweee

You'd need to be able to see the map and labyrinth at the same time which complicates things a little (transparent map? resizing windows? something else?) and a solution for running the game on a TV would also be good (JoyCon pointer, ala World of Goo?). It's easy to spitball a number of possible solutions, but it's not obvious what the developers will settle on. We'll just have to wait and see!

Just use a regular ol' cursor to help with the map. It's snapped to a grid anyways. Overlays, or mini-map/resizing, would all work.

I'd rather shoot myself than try to type a map note using a joycon as a fucking pointer aimed at a keyboard. Having to use a stylus to type everything, rather than a d-pad, is bad enough.

Quadraxis

You're a few floors ahead of me so I'm not sure what kinds of enemies are giving you trouble, but it is worth noting that Blade Master gets an elemental attack and also gets an attack that has a chance to apply all 3 binds which may have good synergy with your pugilist.

The enemy in question is just annoying, but i just bind it and use toxic smoke to dispose of it atm. On one side you have leading blow + hell slash which sounds like a good combo, especially with a harbinger also inflicting ailments. On the other hand you have the options you mentioned. The elemental attack is indeed interesting. Choices, choices... XD

FluxWaveZ

You don't have to restart, just go to the options menu and change the difficulty while you're in town.

I kinda feel like my experience would be tarnished moving forward, though, because of the 20% EXP increase I've had until this point. It'd probably even up sooner than later because of how the number of EXP you gain and require increases as you level up, but still.

Though, I don't feel like restarting, either. You're right, I'll just change the difficulty and go with that. I'll think of the extra EXP like I spent some time grinding or something.

Does anyone know how to get the cow? I've heard it's tied to the lost guard (who I believe I triggered on floor 10, but I might've died and lost it, can't remember, though I haven't found him again on floor 9 or 10)

spiritfox

Does anyone know how to get the cow? I've heard it's tied to the lost guard (who I believe I triggered on floor 10, but I might've died and lost it, can't remember, though I haven't found him again on floor 9 or 10)

You need to meet him again on F10 at the north-east
near the chest after all the FOEs
. After that second time you should meet him at the stairs down. He should then give you the directions to the cow.

You need to meet him again on F10 at the north-east
near the chest after all the FOEs
. After that second time you should meet him at the stairs down. He should then give you the directions to the cow.

Can't seem to find him there. Where was the first location supposed to be again? It might've been lost at death

I just noticed this on my shelf and I just had to wonder why? Forgive the potato picture quality.
cWDdrNJ.jpg

Hanabi

Neo Member
I'm rocking a team of Masurao, pugilist, fencer, necro and shaman. Now roaming the 3rd stratum without problem but... I just noticed that my party has no revive (apart of the union skill one). Is this going to be a problem down the line? Or is feasible to beat the game like this? (I'm on expert difficulty)

Whizkid7

Could use the "plain" therian portrait, or wait for DLC portrait, or just squint real hard. I'm using the short-haired harbinger portrait for my female harbinger even though it's 'technically' one of the male portraits.

I legitimately completely missed the fact that the portrait options had an arrow on the screen to scroll through more. I feel silly. But yeah, that works!

I just barely started and was waiting to open class change so I could have a celestrian botanist. The first few fights to complete the main quest were rough without a healer. I can't imagine ever playing this game without a dedicated healer.

spiritfox

I'm rocking a team of Masurao, pugilist, fencer, necro and shaman. Now roaming the 3rd stratum without problem but... I just noticed that my party has no revive (apart of the union skill one). Is this going to be a problem down the line? Or is feasible to beat the game like this? (I'm on expert difficulty)

There's a ring with a cheap revive that you can equip for in battle revives. Or you can always use Nectars, which they give a number of free ones over the game. Out of battle, Honeyed Fruit revives with full HP too.

Hanabi

Neo Member
There's a ring with a cheap revive that you can equip for in battle revives. Or you can always use Nectars, which they give a number of free ones over the game. Out of battle, Honeyed Fruit revives with full HP too.
The ring sounds nice! My nectar supply is rather low atm sadly (even doing daily runs on floor 2 for cabbage). And I totally forgot about Honeyed Fruit!

Really enjoying the game so far. The movement on the 2nd stratum was great. Nice FOE synergy. And the music was excellent. 3rd stratum has nice mechanics so far, so really digging it too.

ChrisD

You don't have to restart, just go to the options menu and change the difficulty while you're in town.

Could use the "plain" therian portrait, or wait for DLC portrait, or just squint real hard. I'm using the short-haired harbinger portrait for my female harbinger even though it's 'technically' one of the male portraits.

...I thought that the short-haired Harbinger was Female.

Anime boys

MoonFrog

That's what I was going to do if I made a harbinger, tbh. But when I look at that design I think "girl" even though yeah, technically it is a "guy" portrait.

At least they don't do things like lock you to voice options or record the character a certain way depending on the picture you choose.

Velkyn

I caved and picked this up despite Mario next week, and I've basically spent like 20ish hours just trying to build my team.

I have it narrowed down to either

F/M/H with N/S in the back (Evasion/Quad Wield team), or P/Har with R/He/N back (Ailments and binds). Not terribly hot on Warlock, but Drag looks amazingly cool, but I can never seem to fit it in the lineups I want.

Also, early on, are there any racials that are must-have? I feel compelled to beeline on the class skill tree until I unlock advanced, but that could be way off.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Also, early on, are there any racials that are must-have? I feel compelled to beeline on the class skill tree until I unlock advanced, but that could be way off.
For me, I haaaaate grinding money/materials so I invest a huge portion of my early points into gathering skills/increased drop rate. I'd much rather just have twice as much money than my skills doing 10% more damage.

I think increased monster drops is particularly good now due to how forging works.

For me, I haaaaate grinding money/materials so I invest a huge portion of my early points into gathering skills/increased drop rate. I'd much rather just have twice as much money than my skills doing 10% more damage.

I think increased monster drops is particularly good now due to how forging works.
I was considering going for class skills, but this seems more appealing ATM.

Managed to beat the first boss! Though I class changed my harbinger to a dragoon. I still think harbinger has a potential to be good, but it needs a lot of skill investment and it just wasn't doing anything for me at a low level. I may class change back to harbinger later on when I have more skill points, idk.

Managed to beat the first boss! Though I class changed my harbinger to a dragoon. I still think harbinger has a potential to be good, but it needs a lot of skill investment and it just wasn't doing anything for me at a low level. I may class change back to harbinger later on when I have more skill points, idk.

Harbinger becomes a lot better once you get the title and access to your branched abilities. It's definitely kind of meh with just the base ones

PK Gaming

How does this compare to EO4 so far in terms of the dungeons and mechanics?

Generally an improvement across the board, though the complete removal of the overworld might disappoint some.

I haven't beaten EO4 yet, I'm in the third land.

Should I beat that first, or should I just go ahead and get this?

The farther you get from EOIV the harder it will be for you to actually complete it. Go back and finish your plate!

zashga

This is a pretty trivial thing to ask, but can you disable the high-pitched chirp that plays at the start of each turn for characters that have 100% union gauge? I'm currently "wasting" union gauge as soon as I get it because the sound annoys me a bit.

1upsuper

I know that once you create a character you're locked into that portrait but can you later change it to a DLC portrait? I'd like to use the medic portrait for my botanist.

Also, would this team be viable? Too squishy?

Fencer/Masurao
Warlock/Necromancer/Botanist

I feel like I should swap Necro for Dragoon but I dig the Necro class a bit more.

This is a pretty trivial thing to ask, but can you disable the high-pitched chirp that plays at the start of each turn for characters that have 100% union gauge? I'm currently "wasting" union gauge as soon as I get it because the sound annoys me a bit.

I mean I personally try to use mana recovery all the time when it's full because mp can be a very limited resource and basically determines how often you can continue forward. You generally don't need any other union skill if you're not fighting a FOE or boss (and even then I still find mana recovery to be one of the more useful ones)

KdylanR92

Advanced Difficulty pretty much only raises enemy stats and whatnot right? because if that's case i can play on basic without feeling like i'm missing anything.

Just beat the third stratum boss. Game is great. Could use a tip though.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to go next? I'm trying to find the stairs to the fourth stratum and have been wandering around getting nowhere for a little bit now. I see that there's a way to get to the left half of the map on 13f but it seems like you'd enter from another floor and I'm not sure where at all to go.

Jacobson

how do you go to a specific floor directly when entering the labyrinth? I'm now in 5F of the first stratum and I can only go directly to 2F. I think I already uncovered the entire map for 2,3,4 but the council won't accept it.

PK Gaming

Third stratum is incredible. On floor 14 currently

Best EO dungeon

Just beat the third stratum boss. Game is great. Could use a tip though.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where to go next? I'm trying to find the stairs to the fourth stratum and have been wandering around getting nowhere for a little bit now. I see that there's a way to get to the left half of the map on 13f but it seems like you'd enter from another floor and I'm not sure where at all to go.

I ran into the same problem; it's in the 15th floor, to the left of the boss area.

ChrisD

Lost in my first attempt at the First Stratum's Boss... It had a single sliver of health left, but I goofed and Soma'd before Explode went off.

I Analysis Scope'd in my last two turns when I saw it was going to go downhill, so at least I know the Boss' weakness now.

E: okay, the second attempt just went horribly. This time the Boss threw out OHKO moves every turn on the build-up. What the heck? He rarely pulled anything in the first go 'round.

Lost in my first attempt at the First Stratum's Boss... It had a single sliver of health left, but I goofed and Soma'd before Explode went off.

I Analysis Scope'd in my last two turns when I saw it was going to go downhill, so at least I know the Boss' weakness now.

E: okay, the second attempt just went horribly. This time the Boss threw out OHKO moves every turn on the build-up. What the heck? He rarely pulled anything in the first go 'round.
what’s your party and level? Also are you blocking off the side golems?

ChrisD

what’s your party and level? Also are you blocking off the side golems?

I just defeated it on the third try! He was much less stubborn with the super moves (like the Stomp, Punch and Petrify) this time. I wasn't kidding with that second round.

But to answer the question, my party is Pugilist, Fencer, Masurao, Shaman, and Herbalist. All Level 14. I did block off the side golems, but more enemies still spawned into the battle. How bad is the fight if you don't do the blocking?

My Pugilist One-Two Punched unless Hail Prayer and High Ground was up, then she did basic attacks because it's more safe than hoping for extra attack Procs. Shaman was the item user and buffer. Herbalist used healing nearly every turn, thanks to Explode. Fencer just Predicted pretty much every turn lol. On the two loops where I Soma'd (and had Hail Prayer up) she could attack, but that was it. Finally, Masurao just attacked the whole fight, sans the few High Ground turns. I also made sure to use my Back Row's Double Attack with him as often as possible, since he has my highest damage per attack. (The other two Front Rows have Resuscitate, so I hold onto their Union Bar most of the time).

My Fencer had no Links, and that probably would have helped a lot. I'll throw at least one level into each on her next three levels. Also, I focused on the Body the entire time. I didn't see the point in killing off small baddies if they just replenish. Even without Links I could take one out per turn, but unless there was a definitive end, what's the point?

The light golem puzzles on 5F and the boss of the there leading into the second stratum was such a great series of events. The second stratum music is really great.
It all just made me realize that I've really missed having a new EO to play so I'm extra glad this is finally out and I'm feeling like ordering a few more of the albums now cause that Koshiro OST is as good as ever.

GeekyDad

Ugh...played every game in the series except for the Untold version of II (which is still wrapped in its box on my bed mantle :p ), and still I forget how much effort it can take to get started in these games. It's exhausting just deciding on what characters to role and what their portraits and all that will be. To be honest, I think that's what made the first Untold game kind of a breath of fresh air. You didn't really have to decide on any of that in Story mode. Don't get me wrong, it's a huge part of what makes EO so great, but oy, it's just so hard to decide...

Just beat the 1st stratum boss. Boy was it a doozy. I had no AOE skills other than some status inducing harbinger skills so I relied on brute force wailing on the main body with my frontliners while the necro wraiths soaked up damage and the shaman was on buffing duty. My party is still very inefficient at early levels.

Top Bottom