• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Warriors DLC fully revealed

Not a fan of these type of games but I'd have given it a try if Gregor or Felicia were added, Tharja is a nice choice but otherwise that's not an interesting lineup.

Xbro

It's almost as if they chose to represent characters from games people actually bought. And Shadow Dragon.

Uh, excuse me. Ike is in the best selling Fire Emblem game.

logo2.png

I'm just talking about Japan.

And it's still false.

Wow, this looks dissapointing, no Donnel and Owain is the only character I would want from that.

So it's been a while since I played Awakening, but from what I remember Tharja was one of those characters who fade into irrelevance after the mission they're recruited and aren't plot relevant right? Am I missing some legit reason for her popularity? Or is it just straight boys being straight boys?

Nah its just her design. And some people might like her dark stalker personality.

It's almost as if they chose to represent characters from games people actually bought. And Shadow Dragon.
Even so it would have been nice if they actually tried to represent alot of characters from the history of fire emblem. Not having almost next to no GBA/GC or wii characters is dumb, how do you have a fire emblem crossover game with no ike?

Azura
Oboro
Tharja
Olivia

IM THERE!

I don't get people who want Ike or Roy relegated to be DLC. If they really do make a sequel with these characters its better as there is more chance of obscure characters from their games to be in it. Also the people who hate the 3DS games can completely ignore this game and not be forced to play a game they don't want to just because 1 character is in as a DLC that most likely not have any story involvement and would be mostly used for the History Mode Maps. If Fire Emblem Warriors didn't focus on the 3DS games I bet Chrom wouldn't make the cut again.

Ridley327

1. The Brand new genealogy banner had three characters when Ayra easily could have been on there.

2. She's sharing a red spot with an old character. This is the first time a brand new character has to share focus pulls with old characters.

People are very salty about this (and yes Im super salty).

OK, this makes more sense, and I'm actually surprised this is the first time it's happened with how many banners they've run, even for the inheritance fodder.

shadow dragon series (the original amd its sequel, mystery of emblem) is the best selling entry in japan

Mate the DS games sold so poorly they nearly ended the franchise.

Even so it would have been nice if they actually tried to represent alot of characters from the history of fire emblem. Not having almost next to no GBA/GC or wii characters is dumb, how do you have a fire emblem crossover game with no ike?

I feel like if he was in it, people would just complain that he's a clone of another character (no see this blue-haired sword dude is different from all the rest!).

the dlc packs are literally named sd awakening fates...

I can read that. NOA's wording said "focusing" on those three games. Ike was ruled out but with Celica and Lyn already on the base roster the idea of one or two characters from other games wasn't totally off the table until now. I wasn't expecting much but it's still cold to see.

Azura and Tharja being DLC was planned as fuck. Are there knives/daggers weapons in the game? If not, that's the only reason I can think of for the choices of Oboro and Niles over Kaze and Felicia/Jakob

exfatal

lol this.

Im a fan of fire emblem now, and they only ones i've played is shadow dragon, awakening, and birthright. Same as my younger brother, was never a fan of fire emblem only knew of them through smash brothers. But is a big fan now due to only playing awakening. He saw the character list and was completely fine with it looking forward to trying the fate characters. You hardcore fans are going to have to put up with the mainstream popularity of the series.
No reason why ike shouldn't have made it though

I'm pretty happy with these choices, honestly. This is my only complaint:
With everything Fire Emblem has been over the years, with all the games, why choose to only represent the first game, Awakening, and Fates? There are plenty of other characters people love from other games. Obviously they covered Lyn and Celica, but Ike? Hector? Eirika? Ephraim? Micaiah? Elincia? Roy? Palla, Est, and Catria?

And then what about villains? Gharnef? Nergal? Lyon? The Black Knight? Validar?
Don't see these DLC characters as wasted choices per se, even the ones that will end up being clones (I'm excited about getting to play Owain either way!), but they definitely left a lot to be desired in terms of character selection. It's understandable why they chose the games/characters they did, but it's still disheartening.

kromeo

Azura and Tharja being DLC was planned as fuck. Are there knives/daggers weapons in the game? If not, that's the only reason I can think of for the choices of Oboro and Niles over Kaze and Felicia/Jakob

Kaze is a boring ass character, is he popular?

Ridley327

There aren't, which is another big omission aside from playable armored units.

lol this.

Im a fan of fire emblem now, and they only ones i've played is shadow dragon, awakening, and birthright. Same as my younger brother, was never a fan of fire emblem only knew of them through smash brothers. But is a big fan now due to only playing awakening. He saw the character list and was completely fine with it looking forward to trying the fate characters. You hardcore fans are going to have to put up with the mainstream popularity of the series.

This.

I get being upset over Ike and Roy not being in the game, but when people are pissed that some obscure character from a Japanese exclusive re-release that was only available in March of 1996 on the GameBoy Super at Toys R Us stores from 9am to 10am...it's like...lol

I can read that. NOA's wording said "focusing" on those three games. Ike was ruled out but with Celica and Lyn already on the base roster the idea of one or two characters from other games wasn't totally off the table until now. I wasn't expecting much but it's still cold to see.

im sure there will be additional dlc packs.. or a sequel focusing on other FE games.

lol this.

Still feels like a slap to the fans of the series who've been there in the long run, i started with awakening but i made the effort of going back to the older games like sacred stones, blazing blade, path of radiance,etc. There should have been better representation in the base game or at least in the dlcs. These dlcs are just poorly done and im not gonna go past the base game. Money speaks louder than words so theres my part in it.

This.

I get being upset over Ike and Roy not being in the game, but when people are pissed that some obscure character from a Japanese exclusive re-release that was only available in March of 1996 on the GameBoy Super at Toys R Us stores from 9am to 10am...it's like...lol

i dont know what FE game you are refering to but i want lucius and jaffar NAU

Smeags

Oboro and Tharja are some of my favorites, so Im definitely paying attention. Ill probably grab it later when it goes down in price. FEW definitely doesnt spark that interest like Hyrule Warriors did. *le shrug*

Shame they dont have Rinkah, as Im a fan based on her backstory
abs

Kinsei

Banned
There aren't, which is another big omission aside from playable armored units.

There's also a surprising lack of kinshi knights on the roster. You'd think they'd make Takumi one since it was a class introduced in Fates.

This.

People are generally asking for main characters, not obscure characters. Someone like Niime would be awesome but no one is crazy enough to think she's ever get in the game.

Ridley327

It's safe to say that whatever costumes and weapons that those packs are adding won't be necessarily tied to the theme of those packs, though as I mentioned in the JP voice pack thread, I expect a lot of people would be triggered if Armads was one of the axes and one of the only characters that could wield it is Lisse.

There's also a surprising lack of kinshi knights on the roster. You'd think they'd make Takumi one since it was a class introduced in Fates.
Takumi? No way, hes the last person you would expect to be anything but his default class.

It's like seeing Xander without a horse.

im sure there will be additional dlc packs.. or a sequel focusing on other FE games.

That's going to depend entirely on how well the game sells. There's still NA/PAL to determine how well their various gambles with the game are paying off but Japanese sales so far are pretty lukewarm.

People are generally asking for main characters, not obscure characters. Someone like Niime would be awesome but no one is crazy enough to think she's ever get in the game.

i dont see a kinshi knight character that screams must include.

Mak

Again, it's doing worse than Hyrule Warriors, which was on Wii U.
Fire Emblem has also often been a bigger franchise than The Legend of Zelda.
With the release and success of Fire Emblem Heroes, the success of Switch, and general strength of the brand, to see it perform worse than Hyrule Warriors is them beating expectations?
It only sold through 40% - 60% of its first week shipment in that first week, and has had poor legs since, so their expectations had to be really low.

Fire Emblem Warriors sold 42,491 on Nintendo Switch at no. 3 on the top 20 chart (during Switch's first year) + 18,357 on 3DS that launched the same week. That makes 59,000 copies sold in the first week in Japan, and sold about 50% of its shipment.

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/10/0...ls-cold-steel-iii-fire-emblem-warriors-debut/
http://nintendoeverything.com/fire-emblem-warriors-sold-through-50-of-its-initial-shipment-in-japan/

The Legend of Zelda series is a more popular series, and Hyrule Warriors sold 69,090 copies during its first week on Wii U (at 1.8 million units) in Japan, with 57% of its shipment sold.

http://www.siliconera.com/2014/08/22/hyrule-warriors-sold-just-57-shipment-japan/

FE Warriors sold less than Hyrule Warriors but that doesn't mean it sold bad. The availability of Nintendo Switch hardware in its first year in Japan might also be a factor.

Hylian7

People bought FE7 (there's a reason Lyn was #1 in a popularity poll) and Sacred Stones. You might might make that argument for the Tellius games, and you are right there, but still Ike is in Smash and is therefore known and would resonate with people.

Same could apply to Roy as for Ike.

That's going to depend entirely on how well the game sells. There's still NA/PAL to determine how well their various gambles with the game are paying off but Japanese sales so far are pretty lukewarm.

i bet after this holiday season the game will have done just fine in japan and everywhere else because the switch is selling well and this is a first party release

Aizo

Banned
I'm just talking about Japan.
I might still be wrong, as indicated by others, but it's not the most ludicrous assumption, given the recent success of Awakening/Fates, and the weak showings of The Legend of Zelda outside of DS, as well as the greater success of past games (prior to GBA).
I dunno. In terms of name recognition alone, Zelda is far more famous. My Japanese friends and their kids all know Zelda but not FE typically.

Draxal

OK, this makes more sense, and I'm actually surprised this is the first time it's happened with how many banners they've run, even for the inheritance fodder.

This is the first banner ever that they had a mixture of old characters and new ones. So people were stunned by it.

Busaiku

Was not aware of that, but that's disappointing that they aren't playable. Hyrule Warriors had playable villains and it was pretty neat.
They weren't playable initially, they were released as free DLC.
We'll probably have to pay for them in this game though.

Kinsei

Banned
They weren't playable initially, they were released as free DLC.
We'll probably have to pay for them in this game though.

No, there were playable villains in the abse roster, it was just teh OC trio added later. The story mode even had a few levels where you played as Ganondorf rising to power.

Developers have said that Ike and Roy in particular will be in the sequel if this game does well, so don't hold out hope.

That's an incredibly poor excuse imo. If you want me to get excited about your game, sell me on your game, not a theoretical sequel.

Top Bottom