• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

PeakPointMatrix
Member
(07-20-2011, 06:47 AM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar

Originally Posted by Velti

I'll bet the people who were actually working on it feel like CRAAAAAP now, for getting us so excited. :(

Yeah, its a shame, they were all really enthused and were putting a lot of heart into the project. I'm hoping they opt for at least one last goodbye to the fans. It feels so wrong to lose complete contact with them so suddenly. It would at least add some closure to the devroom.
ShockingAlberto
Member
(07-20-2011, 06:59 AM)
ShockingAlberto's Avatar

Originally Posted by SwiftSketcher

Yeah, its a shame, they were all really enthused and were putting a lot of heart into the project. I'm hoping they opt for at least one last goodbye to the fans. It feels so wrong to lose complete contact with them so suddenly. It would at least add some closure to the devroom.

Capcom execs were apparently super uncomfortable with the developers interacting with fans so much in the first place.
B.K.
Member
(07-20-2011, 07:01 AM)

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Capcom execs were apparently super uncomfortable with the developers interacting with fans so much in the first place.

They should have been uncomfortable. They new from the beginning that they weren't going to greenlight the game.
salromano
Member
(07-20-2011, 07:04 AM)
salromano's Avatar
Capcom... you jerks, you!
zeelman
Member
(07-20-2011, 07:05 AM)
zeelman's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Capcom execs were apparently super uncomfortable with the developers interacting with fans so much in the first place.

This explains so much about Capcom. These are the guys who probably thought Americans did not like Mega Man in the first place.
Plywood
NeoGAF's smiling token!
(07-20-2011, 07:07 AM)
Plywood's Avatar

Originally Posted by Velti

I'll bet the people who were actually working on it feel like CRAAAAAP now, for getting us so excited. :(

But, yeah. Time to keep doing what I always do! BUY USED.

All of the heat should go to Capcom and not the dev's who kindly shared with us the how the game was going and even allowed fan interaction and decisions on what designs and characters to choose.

Fuck Capcom seriously.
AzureNightmare
Banned
(07-20-2011, 07:35 AM)
AzureNightmare's Avatar
This was really a punch to the gut for me, really took the wind out of my sails. Thanks for bumming me out Capcom, may you forever burn in hell.
Goon Boon
Banned
(07-20-2011, 07:37 AM)
Goon Boon's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.K.

They should have been uncomfortable. They new from the beginning that they weren't going to greenlight the game.

Yeah, they probably decided we'll make MML3 if theres interest with no intention of actually releasing it, then when the team decided to drum up interest by being all open as fuck with it and asking for community input they decided to cancel it before it became an issue
WrathOfOtaibah
Banned
(07-20-2011, 07:37 AM)
WrathOfOtaibah's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Capcom execs were apparently super uncomfortable with the developers interacting with fans so much in the first place.

On what game was this? On how big was the level of interaction?
Busaiku
Member
(07-20-2011, 07:43 AM)
Busaiku's Avatar

Originally Posted by WrathOfOtaibah

On what game was this? On how big was the level of interaction?

Mega Man Legends 3.

They let fans choose the new female character, her name, and her VA (though these were among predetermined things, just fans voting on what they liked best).
They let fans vote on Mega Man Volnutt's latest design (among 3 possibilities).
And they encouraged fan content, mostly enemy designs.
PeakPointMatrix
Member
(07-20-2011, 07:43 AM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar

Originally Posted by ShockingAlberto

Capcom execs were apparently super uncomfortable with the developers interacting with fans so much in the first place.

In a way, that seemed to be the point. As in, part of Inafune's divine plan with this game's production. Capcom has obviously been extremely hesitant to develop this game, but if it ever did get off the ground and the fans were exposed to the whole process, developing an attachment to the game along the way, it would be that much harder for Capcom to axe it. It seemed in line with Inafune's ploy of getting a game so far along in development it would make no sense to cancel. With this it was basically to involve as much media and public input as possible so that they wouldn't can it for fear of fan outrage. Unfortunately that consequence didn't matter and here we are.

What irks me the most though is if they're so worried about profit and money, why withhold the practically finished Prologue from release? What are they going to lose? The fan's good favor? That's already gone and we still have nothing.
AzureNightmare
Banned
(07-20-2011, 07:46 AM)
AzureNightmare's Avatar

Originally Posted by Goon Boon

Yeah, they probably decided we'll make MML3 if theres interest with no intention of actually releasing it, then when the team decided to drum up interest by being all open as fuck with it and asking for community input they decided to cancel it before it became an issue

It became an issue the moment the game was announced. Now they have outraged their fans. They will probably come to regret canceling the game.
Frankenstrat
Member
(07-20-2011, 07:58 AM)
Frankenstrat's Avatar
oh, capcom
ezekial45
I have assigned to you one day for each year its punishment will last.
(07-20-2011, 08:03 AM)
ezekial45's Avatar
Does anyone have a link to that really awesome high-rez MML3 Poster with the all the characters?

It was shown about a month ago. It looked really awesome.
CoffeeJanitor
Member
(07-20-2011, 08:05 AM)
CoffeeJanitor's Avatar

Originally Posted by SwiftSketcher

In a way, that seemed to be the point. As in, part of Inafune's divine plan with this game's production. Capcom has obviously been extremely hesitant to develop this game, but if it ever did get off the ground and the fans were exposed to the whole process, developing an attachment to the game along the way, it would be that much harder for Capcom to axe it. It seemed in line with Inafune's ploy of getting a game so far along in development it would make no sense to cancel. With this it was basically to involve as much media and public input as possible so that they wouldn't can it for fear of fan outrage. Unfortunately that consequence didn't matter and here we are.

What irks me the most though is if they're so worried about profit and money, why withhold the practically finished Prologue from release? What are they going to lose? The fan's good favor? That's already gone and we still have nothing.

Because releasing a demo to a game that will never release would just be stupid.
Phoenix_Apollo
Member
(07-20-2011, 08:09 AM)
Phoenix_Apollo's Avatar

Originally Posted by CoffeeJanitor

It certainly did. I tried to play Legends about a year ago and the game has aged horribly. The controls were pretty terrible.

I disagree, actually. I think it's one of the few PS1 games that HASN'T aged too bad. The controls worked really well for me.
PeakPointMatrix
Member
(07-20-2011, 08:52 AM)
PeakPointMatrix's Avatar

Originally Posted by CoffeeJanitor

Because releasing a demo to a game that will never release would just be stupid.

They promised a demo with the possibility of cancellation based on sales. We got nothing, nor a chance to prove anything with sales. I guarantee you the reaction to this outcome would be much different had they released it and it had sold poorly. It's like kicking a handicap kid to the ground without giving him crutches to prove he can move.
BocoDragon
or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
(07-20-2011, 08:54 AM)
BocoDragon's Avatar

Originally Posted by Phoenix_Apollo

I disagree, actually. I think it's one of the few PS1 games that HASN'T aged too bad. The controls worked really well for me.

I can appreciate that it's still usable if you wrap your mind around it... but I remember the controls being iffy in 1999 :/
Ahoi-Brause
Banned
(07-20-2011, 09:25 AM)
Ahoi-Brause's Avatar

Originally Posted by TheSeks

LICENSES. They can't do ANYTHING with those games since they don't OWN them.

Same reason they have issues using Strider in Marvel 3 and getting a go ahead on the (forgetting the company) Street Fighter Alpha or School whatever kids.

Complete bullshit. Powerstone as well as Rival Schools are owned by capcom.
kiryogi
Banned
(07-20-2011, 09:26 AM)
kiryogi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahoi-Brause

Complete bullshit. Powerstone as well as Rival Schools are owned by capcom.

Not sure about Powerstone and pretty sure that's not an issue considering they pulled off the collection. Rival Schools on the other hand does have some license issues. IE Hayate's character design, which was penned by Kazuhiko Shimamoto. It's something they often emphasize on in all the paperwork involving the games. Which is the same issue Strider runs into for MvC3, since he's designed by Moto Kikaku.
eXistor
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:07 AM)
eXistor's Avatar
Sad to see yet another giant from back in the day fall to its doom.
Ahoi-Brause
Banned
(07-20-2011, 10:10 AM)
Ahoi-Brause's Avatar

Originally Posted by kiryogi

Not sure about Powerstone and pretty sure that's not an issue considering they pulled off the collection. Rival Schools on the other hand does have some license issues. IE Hayate's character design, which was penned by Kazuhiko Shimamoto. It's something they often emphasize on in all the paperwork involving the games. Which is the same issue Strider runs into for MvC3, since he's designed by Moto Kikaku.

It's Hayato.
And Kazuhiko Shimamoto is involved in so many copyright clusterfucks, from animate to kyoani and gainax he's probably pretty cool with it, give him another thousand bux and he's fine.
This is no reason not to do another rival schools game.

The crappy comics from udon had no problem showing Hayato either by the way.
kiryogi
Banned
(07-20-2011, 10:17 AM)
kiryogi's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahoi-Brause

It's Hayato.
And Kazuhiko Shimamoto is involved in so many copyright clusterfucks, from animate to kyoani and gainax he's probably pretty cool with it, give him another thousand bux and he's fine.
This is no reason not to do another rival schools game.

The crappy comics from udon had no problem showing Hayato either by the way.

The issue is Capcom (Or many companies in general) doesn't want to pay the additional licensing. No matter how cheap it might be. Although in that regard, supposedly Kikaku wants big money for Strider.

Also more in line with the topic, look at what happened to the domestic rereleases for Legends 1/2. Capcom did not want deal with the licensing with the original actors.
Hours Left
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:20 AM)

Originally Posted by Ahoi-Brause

It's Hayato.
And Kazuhiko Shimamoto is involved in so many copyright clusterfucks, from animate to kyoani and gainax he's probably pretty cool with it, give him another thousand bux and he's fine.
This is no reason not to do another rival schools game.

The crappy comics from udon had no problem showing Hayato either by the way.

Yeah, I don't know why people think this is an issue. Hayato isn't being restricted in any sense. Strider Hiryu is a much more difficult situation, and he seems to be on his way back.

As I mentioned before, the only issue Rival Schools has is the voice acting track to the original PSX game, and this probably has more to do with Capcom not wanting to rebuy the rights as opposed to "losing touch" with the voice actors. (They used that as an excuse before.)

It has no impact at all on Capcom being able to make a new Rival Schools. It's their IP.
Ahoi-Brause
Banned
(07-20-2011, 10:24 AM)
Ahoi-Brause's Avatar

Originally Posted by kiryogi

The issue is Capcom (Or many companies in general) doesn't want to pay the additional licensing. No matter how cheap it might be. Although in that regard, supposedly Kikaku wants big money for Strider.

Also more in line with the topic, look at what happened to the domestic rereleases for Legends 1/2. Capcom did not want deal with the licensing with the original actors.

Then it's capcom being assholes, much like konami with silent hill and all
Gravijah
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:26 AM)
Gravijah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ahoi-Brause

Then it's capcom being assholes, much like konami with silent hill and all

Is that collection still PS3 only for absolutely no reason at all?
Ahoi-Brause
Banned
(07-20-2011, 10:34 AM)
Ahoi-Brause's Avatar

Originally Posted by Gravijah

Is that collection still PS3 only for absolutely no reason at all?

They are re-recording the voice work as well because they dont want to pay the guy who did the voiceacting for James Sunderland from SH2.
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(07-20-2011, 02:00 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
We'll never see Rival Schools 3 again, will we?
Relaxed Muscle
Member
(07-20-2011, 02:11 PM)
Relaxed Muscle's Avatar

Originally Posted by Ookami-kun

We'll never see Rival Schools 3 again, will we?

Yeah, you can add Rival Schools along:

- Onimusha
- Dino Crisis
- Megaman
- Powerstone
- Breath of Fire
- Final Fight

.... I don't think I should continue....
Boss Doggie
all my loli wolf companions are so moe
(07-20-2011, 02:12 PM)
Boss Doggie's Avatar
They're like the antithesis of Nintendo as far as IP honoring is concerned.
Fine Ham Abounds
Member
(07-20-2011, 02:23 PM)
Fine Ham Abounds's Avatar

Originally Posted by ezekial45

Does anyone have a link to that really awesome high-rez MML3 Poster with the all the characters?

It was shown about a month ago. It looked really awesome.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...postcount=1299

Edit: Actually this is the highest rez I could find:

http://i.imgur.com/VFz3N.jpg
Sammy Samusu
(07-20-2011, 03:14 PM)
Sammy Samusu's Avatar
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_Man_Legends_3

"This page is semi-protected due to vandalism."

SSJ1Goku
Banned
(07-20-2011, 03:19 PM)

Originally Posted by kiryogi

Also more in line with the topic, look at what happened to the domestic rereleases for Legends 1/2. Capcom did not want deal with the licensing with the original actors.

*thinks*
hmmm you know what...that is probably one of the main reasons Nintendo does not have voice acting in their games.
jmdajr
Member
(07-20-2011, 03:23 PM)
jmdajr's Avatar
Velti
Junior Member
(07-20-2011, 05:29 PM)
Velti's Avatar

Originally Posted by Plywood

All of the heat should go to Capcom and not the dev's who kindly shared with us the how the game was going and even allowed fan interaction and decisions on what designs and characters to choose.

Agreed! Just sayin'.
Roto13
Member
(07-20-2011, 08:23 PM)
Roto13's Avatar
Strider. :P
Zee-Row
Banned
(07-20-2011, 09:58 PM)
Zee-Row's Avatar
Yet Emo May Cry still has the green light?
Fritz
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:10 PM)
Fritz's Avatar
sixteen-bit
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:14 PM)

Originally Posted by Zee-Row

Yet Emo May Cry still has the green light?

As bad as that looks, I'm afraid it will be more commercially and critically successful than a hypothetical MML3.
B.K.
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:15 PM)
http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/201...a_man_apology/

The recent cancelation of Mega Man Legends 3 took place long after Keiji Inafune left Capcom. But still, Inafune saw fit to issue an apology to fans and staff at his blog today (and he did it without saying the game's name once!)

To staff, he said, "The decision for the cancelation was out of my sphere, but as someone who took part in the development, I'd like to convey something to the staff: I'm sorry that I couldn't be of assistance."

Not that his assistance was necessarily needed. Inafune noted that the staff had such tremendous motivation that they didn't need his help, which makes him feel even sadder at the cancelation.

He encouraged the staff to turn their feelings of sadness around and work towards making an even better game.

For fans, he said "I'm truly sorry I couldn't take part through the end."

Inafune himself is included in the fan group. Even after leaving Capcom, Inafune continued to keep track of the game as a fan. "I didn't buy a 3DS for this project, but at the very least I'd like to have played the demo."

Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
(07-20-2011, 10:18 PM)
Raging Spaniard's Avatar
For people who are upset (and Im one of them), what if the game was cancelled because it wasnt any good?

That also happens, its not just because mega corporations are dicks.
Gravijah
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:20 PM)
Gravijah's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raging Spaniard

For people who are upset (and Im one of them), what if the game was cancelled because it wasnt any good?

That also happens, its not just because mega corporations are dicks.

But publishers release totally crap games all of the time. -sniffle-

It probably sucked. But it was still one last chance for the franchise...
B.K.
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:21 PM)

Originally Posted by Raging Spaniard

For people who are upset (and Im one of them), what if the game was cancelled because it wasnt any good?

But how would they have known if it was bad? The game itself never went into production. They've just been working on the prototype all this time.
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(07-20-2011, 10:24 PM)
Kyzer's Avatar
The fuck?

I feel like the people at Crapcom really had a grudge against Inafune and MM in general and now that hes gone theyre fucking shit up. Theres no way theyre in denial of the series' brand-power. Come on. Just make a good fucking Mega Man game and it will sell. Stop being assholes.
GSR
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:25 PM)
GSR's Avatar

Originally Posted by Raging Spaniard

For people who are upset (and Im one of them), what if the game was cancelled because it wasnt any good?

That also happens, its not just because mega corporations are dicks.

True, but it honestly wouldn't have stung so bad if they'd told us as much. When they just say it didn't meet certain criteria, we don't know if it got the axe because they felt it was low-quality or if it got the axe because it won't sell Resident Evil-levels of copies.
Beth Cyra
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:26 PM)
Beth Cyra's Avatar

Originally Posted by GSR

True, but it honestly wouldn't have stung so bad if they'd told us as much. When they just say it didn't meet certain criteria, we don't know if it got the axe because they felt it was low-quality or if it got the axe because it won't sell Resident Evil-levels of copies.

More like wouldn't sell copies and make a profit, let alone millions.
luka
Loves Robotech S1
(07-20-2011, 10:30 PM)
luka's Avatar
Kyzer
RIP to Harambe, the gorilla who died
(07-20-2011, 10:31 PM)
Kyzer's Avatar
A good 3DS Mega Man game in this stage in the handhelds life is exactly what both companies need. They release some shitty mega man spinoff next to pokemon games or when theres already hundreds of games in the library and then are all confused face when they dont sell.
Raging Spaniard
If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
(07-20-2011, 10:31 PM)
Raging Spaniard's Avatar

Originally Posted by B.K.

But how would they have known if it was bad? The game itself never went into production. They've just been working on the prototype all this time.

Maybe the prototype wasn't coming along well, or they missed deadlines, or the engine wasn't coming together, or they didn't have anything playable ... Theres tons of reasons to cancel games based on their prototypes.

The way most of these publishers work is that you get a prototype done in time, you present it to the powers that be and if theyre not impressed, bam, your game is dead.

Nt saying thats the reason, but I wouldnt be surprised. Most projects in any big studio are the ones that get cancelled, only about 30 percent of them make it out.


Originally Posted by GSR

True, but it honestly wouldn't have stung so bad if they'd told us as much. When they just say it didn't meet certain criteria, we don't know if it got the axe because they felt it was low-quality or if it got the axe because it won't sell Resident Evil-levels of copies.

Thats not smart PR. Very few companies will tell you they sucked at anything. Youre a fan and you want closure, but being completely transparent is not necessarily a good way to do business.
Akainu
Member
(07-20-2011, 10:57 PM)
Akainu's Avatar
They are just waiting for Vita guys.

Thread Tools