• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Thanks for the 25 cents on my birthday, Microsoft.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Just be glad they don't make you fill out a survey to get it.

Te3e4.gif

Haha, perfect.

2MF

I think that the time the OP wasted reading that email, and the time we have all wasted with this thread makes these MS gifts not worth it.

Seriously we can talk a lot about how "something is better than nothing" but that really stops being true below a certain threshold.

cdon.se always sends me a free shipping voucher on my birthday, that's much better than this crappy MS offer.

Xater

Oh I got the same e-mail. I didn't even bother getting the points. It's all fake points. At least MS could give you an amount that is worth something.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Haha. When the OP mentioned that the present was in GIF form, I figured he had done his own version of the "Look at this, it's fucking nothing" gif. Would have been perfect.

Spierek

And what makes it even more hilarious is that apparently you have to be XBL Gold (and have accepted the MyRewards scheme) to get those points. So you need to give them more money in order to get those 25c.

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
Bad gift is worse than no gift.

In this case, I full heartedly. Honestly, let me set the stage.

>>MS bighead sitting at home in his lounge chair, polar bear rug strewn infront of a warm fireplace<<

Oh, Welcome to my home! My name is --- and I work for Microsoft. We'd like to thank YOU for paying 60$ a year for our premium Gold Xbox Live connection service. We understand that without this extra fee, our console would be completely and utterly useless to you, seeing as though it's far past its deserved lifespan. To thank you for being a loyal customer, giving us your money and dealing with redrings, broken disk drives, and sometimes unbearable customer service... We're giving you a birthday present!

>>Gets up, walks over to kitchen, whine-glass in hand (full of my tears, obviously)<<

Here's a shiny quarter. Just for a special Xboxlive subscriber on their Special birthday! BUT THIS IS NOT JUST ANY QUARTER!!! We've put it in the form of Microsoft points! So, you're about a quarter closer to that new hat you've OBVIOUSLY been eyeballing in our Avatar clothing collection! Or maybe if you spend 20 Dollars, you can afford that map pack that hasn't gone on sale, and more than likely never will even though this game is two years old and the content doesn't appear in matchmaking anymore due to the fact that there are no DLC restricted hoppers!

We hope you appreciate this kind gesture from your good ol' friends at Microsoft. As you can see, we obviously care!

>>end scene<<

Funny thing is, doing this costs them somewhere in the order of $5m dollars (assuming they have to pay a publisher part of the 20 points).

Lexxon

Giving 20 pts is infinitely more insulting than giving nothing at all....

I mean, I suppose some of us out there have lopsided balances and it might help over time..?

This and the measely 1-2% discount for certain achievement scores make me think that MS really doesn't understand an "incentive" system. What steam did with achievements as part of the winter sale last year was awesome, MS should learn from that.

Alastor

For fuck's sake, it's not like it cost them any money. They're digital points spent on digital goods. Should be at least ten times more... or cut the program altogether because it's such a tease.

Waaghals

In real life, giving a too unsubstantial gift is essentially the same as an insult.

"Happy birthday! Take this can of expired coke I found in the back of the fridge"

This is made even worse by the elaborate e-mail people seems to be receiving.
Doing something like this goes against social conventions, so yes, they would be better of doing nothing.

C'mon guys, we're all forgetting it was the OP birthday recently.

Happy birthday OP! Spend that 25c wisely kiddo. Don't spend it all on penny whistles and moon pies.

2MF

Funny thing is, doing this costs them somewhere in the order of $5m dollars (assuming they have to pay a publisher part of the 20 points).

I don't think so. Can you even add arbitrary amounts to your XBL account, or only multiples of a dollar or so? If the latter, the number of people who actually use this "gift" will be quite small.

Can you actually use 20 points? Aren't all of the games a round number and the amount of points you can buy a round number?

From the EuroGamer link that was posted a few posts up.

UPDATE: Impatient to spend 20 Microsoft Points? We've compiled a list of the top ten items on the Xbox Marketplace worth exactly that amount.

In no particular order:

Bald Man Gamer Picture (Tony Hawk's American Wasteland)

German Soldier Gamer Picture (Call of Duty 2)

Amped 3 Chicken Gamer Picture (Amped 3)

Hoodoo Brown Gamer Picture (Gun)

Major Ruin Gamer Picture (Kameo: Elements of Power)

Dead Rising Zombie Gamer Picture (Dead Rising)

Rubber Duck Gamer Picture (Hitman: Blood Money)

Agent Thomas Gamer Picture (Condemned: Criminal Origins)

Various BulletWitch cheats/extra challenges (BulletWitch)

Battlefield 3 Camaro DLC (Battlefield 3: Eurogamer Edition)

NinjaBoiX

Wario64 said:
BENNIGANS - free dessert + song
BERN'S - free meal BILL KNAPP'S - gives adults a % discount equal to age; plus a free bday cake (w/purchase of a meal) during the week of your B-day
BJ's - Free Pizookie
BLACK BRISKEE - free meal
BOB'S BIG BOY - free hot fudge ice cream

I wish the place was called Pizookie instead, they'd have queues round the block.

smurfx

get some go again
son in my day 20 microsoft points could buy you 3 downloadable games , 3 dlc costumes and a horse armor.

Cornbread78

so what do sony and nintendo give you??

it would be cool if they gave you a xbla game, or at least a free avatar clothing of your choosing or something.

but realistically, i think people just like to bash microsoft. sony and nintendo give you nothing.

but lemme guess the counterpoint to that BUT THEY DONT POINT A GUN TO MY HEAD AND MAKE ME PAY FOR LIVE EITHER

This can't possibly be your first day here at NEOGAF.... The community here is an "equal opportunity" bashing community, therefore, they will bash anything and everything, at any point. No need to get defensive and/or butthurt about it, people bash the games and things I love here all the time. It's OK though, I can still make it through my day and look forward to playing my "trash" in my free time. BTW, I'm also a VITA owner, so yeah...

SSReborn

To be honest I'd rather them donate all the birthday money collectively to a charity as a it wont really help people who have enough money to pay for live. But if they sent all the birthday money to a charity it would definitely help someone... But then again, they aren't even really using any money whereas they are giving you a credit.

Ranger X

LOL LOL Microsoft.

This would have been insulting for me. Don't give me a present if 25c is all you could come up with.

Mr_Zombie

With what caveats, though? I remember the 15% off I got from customer service was like "no games released within the past year" or something asinine.

When I get the birthday present from EA last year, it was a 40% or 50% off from a game that costs more that 100 or 150PLN (I don't remember). That was pretty generous.

To be honest I'd rather them donate all the birthday money collectively to a charity as a it wont really help people who have enough money to pay for live. But if they sent all the birthday money to a charity it would definitely help someone... But then again, they aren't even really using any money whereas they are giving you a credit.
It's promotions. They know that 20msp isn't enough to buy anything, so this is a nudge to get you to spend more points with the thought process that you don't want to put those free points to waste. And for some reason, 20msp sounds like more than 25 cents.

Cornbread78

You know what OP, I'm feeling great today on a Friday. I'm going to give you your own personal B-Day present that is much better than what they gave you.

A Free RAGE avatar shirt, not just 1, but 2 shirts, just in case your special lady wants one too:

Male: HV9XM-XHD4F-T3TY4-4JMXT-C3CHZ
Female: M2DF3-FRMXR-K77G4-G4QVR-Y9J3Z

Nobody would steal your B-day present would they GAF?

Top Bottom