• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pixel 2 | OT | The best Android phone gets better

Nipo

How do I cash in on this deal and the $325 deal simultaneously? I have a P2XL on the way next week...

Call the number in the post and give them the code. They'll send you a free sim card and $100 giftcard. Then register for the tmobile deal like normal.

Also got my pixel 2 and 2 XL and screens are great. XL has a blue tint at angles but why the fuck would i ever view my cell phone at an angle? For an all in cost of $200 for the 2 and $400 for the XL it was an amazing deal.

Saw this on reddit:

vUuLOTs.jpg

Yeah...
That doesn't look like it would bother me at all.

Fletcher

Selling my OG Pixel via offerup to buy Pixel 2. I performed a factory reset. Should that be enough to make sure hey can't access my original info on the phone?

Type2

Did anyone order one through Best Buy and get a shipping notice? I ended up going through there cause they still had panda ones but there isnt even a shipping estimate yet....

The screen is really good when you're looking straight at it! Love Assistant, love how zippy things are. Also, the squeeze to Assistant is actually useful, far less embarrassing than saying "OK, Google" first.

Kyoufu

The screen is really good when you're looking straight at it! Love Assistant, love how zippy things are. Also, the squeeze to Assistant is actually useful, far less embarrassing than saying "OK, Google" first.

A little confused about that. OLED is supposed to have great viewing angles. This is an OLED screen right?

I thought these phones were supposed to have super fast charging? I've been charging mine for 45 minutes and went from 25% to 40% battery.

Don't buy from the Google popup stores. They are selling them through a Verizon reseller that is up charging you $30.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/19/16504756/google-pop-up-store-overpriced-pixel-2

Disgusting.

Google is saying they will reimburse people who were charged extra and the pop-up stores are technically run by a Verizon Reseller. Sounds like Google messed up by not getting what the seller was going to do with the pop-up stores but at least it's not direct decisions from Google themselves.

What do you expect from LG panels?

I hate the narrative that people push all the blame of bad screen to LG.

You know what, while some V30 screen has graininess and uneven color problem, it does not have the severe blue tint or "dull" colors.

Google should be taking most of the blame because of the lack of QC, the decision to use LG panels, choosing to ship with only limited color profiles (other phones come with 3-4 and even custom RGB temperature slider), blue tint at off angle (probably from additional coating).

Phionoxx

Following up with initial impressions on the 2XL. I ordered the Caseology "Parrallax" from Amazon and am liking it so far, still need to wait on more reviews to figure out what screen protector to buy.

I do notice the blue shift when looking at the screen off angle, but it isn't nearly as pronounced as the picture in this thread. I have my display at 35% brightness with adaptive on too. I don't think it will bother me but too soon to say definitively.

Software is very quick and responsive. Camera is extremely fast, night and day from my Nexus 6. Performance in general is very snappy. Battery life off to promising start too, had screen on for about 2.5 hours and only drained about 15% from a full charge.

Squeezing the sides is neat and works just fine with this case. Overall pretty happy so far but to be fair there isn't another phone I was seriously considering, as I'm on Fi so upgrade options are limited.

Husker86

Anyone who has also used an S8 able to comment on outdoor brightness (for 2 XL)?

The S8+ was awesome outside. When I gave that to my wife and switched back to the Pixel XL I was surprised by the difference.

Still getting the 2 XL either way, but wouldn't mind some impressions while I wait another week.

Jeffrey

the f, google. why you not center 16:9 apps googly.

UYhY55O.jpg

don't top align this shit.

squeeze works, but ill turn it off. it keeps activating once I put the phone on the car mount.

Doesn't bestbuy only sell verizon pixel stuff? don't recall them selling unlocked last year.

prophetvx

I thought these phones were supposed to have super fast charging? I've been charging mine for 45 minutes and went from 25% to 40% battery.

I'm the same. Have a non-xl tried multiple chargers and it's taking an hour to go up 20-25%. Currently at 45% saying it will be fully charged in 3 hours.

Hopefully it's just due to first charge, but pretty disappointing so far on that front.

Loving everything else though.

The colors dead-on are great. The slightest tilt gives it a blue cast. On my unit, there's also some backlight bleed at the very top of the screen.

There no such thing as a backlight in an OLED display. Your display is defective and you should return your phone. As for the display controversy, this not 2010 anymore. A $1000 flagship should have a display that is competitive with anything in it's price range. The Pixel XL 2 is clearly not meeting up to that standard, and Google should be criticized for this. It really pisses me off considering it's not an issue with phones less than half the price of the Pixel XL 2. Like why buy shitty panels from LG amatuer OLED division when Samsung have almost perfected the technology? Cost is not excuse.

Kyoufu

There no such thing as a backlight in an OLED display. Your display is defective and you should return your phone. As for the display controversy, this not 2010 anymore. A $1000 flagship should have a display that is competitive with anything in it's price range. The Pixel XL 2 is clearly not meeting up to that standard, and Google should be criticized for this. It really pisses me off considering it's not an issue with phones less than half the price of the Pixel XL 2. Like why buy shitty panels from LG amatuer OLED division when Samsung have almost perfected the technology? Cost is not excuse.

Maybe Apple is hogging all of Samsung's supply of OLED panels.

Hylian7

Got my Pixel 2, very nice, loving it so far.

I may give in and get Bluetooth headphones, as much as this sucks. Does anyone know if the Google Pixel Buds are worth the high price, or does anyone else recommend some other Bluetooth headphones?

I am. On the lock screen it says charging rapidly, 1 hour until full. I'm at 58% now.
That's about the speed I get. Closing all the apps helps, I find, but I don't get the crazy speeds some people are getting.

Pixel 2 is great so far, but I'm sad the portrait mode seems to not work with the selfie camera? I thought that was going to be the main selling point of the tech.

EDIT: according to a rep, the latest camera update is still coming out in batches, and only the latest one supports the front facing camera.

remz

That was great.

Edit: I wonder if people are gonna go after him like when he showed how weak the Nexus 6P was.

I dropped my 6p like 50+ times over 2 years and never had a single problem with it, other than the charger port being iffy. these videos are bullshit and not representative of real use unless you regularly carry mineral picks in your pocket. by comparison my nexus 4 and g3 both stopped working after one drop.

it's not like these videos are telling you whether or not a phone is actually well made.

buy a d brand (tm) skin and protect your phone.

REV 09

Yeah and I think it's even less pronounced in normal lighting.

As mentioned in the video posted moments ago, this display issue is really overblown. The screen is great, unless of course you get a dud.
The viewing angles are a little weird, but the screen looks great if you’re holding it in normal use.

taco543

I feel like at that price I might as well pony up $10 more and get the Pixel Buds...

I dont blame you for thinking that lol, I bought these like a year to two years ago and love em and will keep using em, but I'm also looking at the pixel buds lol

snacknuts

we all knew her
Pixel 2 is great so far, but I'm sad the portrait mode seems to not work with the selfie camera? I thought that was going to be the main selling point of the tech.
Yes it does. I don't have mine yet, but I've seen multiple reviews talking about how you can use it with either camera.

Phionoxx

Noticing this too. I'm using the provided AC adapter and USB cable. Currently at 84% and it says "Charging Rapidly - 50 minutes remaining."

Does the fast charge only apply when the phone is almost dead, ie. Less than 25% remaining or what?

Type2

Noticing this too. I'm using the provided AC adapter and USB cable. Currently at 84% and it says "Charging Rapidly - 50 minutes remaining."

Does the fast charge only apply when the phone is almost dead, ie. Less than 25% remaining or what?

I thought thats typically what fast charging is. Helps bring the phone up to a reasonable range quickly but the last 1/4th takes a much longer time.

https://youtu.be/BVKnt7H4zVc

Yikes.. Zack went all out here.

Best android phone lol

Nice to see someone telling how it is. I mean I like Marques. But how can you take someone reviewing a phone seriously when they wearing a google shirt? Him and a lot of the other youtubers didn't discuss any negative aspect probably because they want to get early access next year too.

The bend test was sort of shocking. I also don't get the thread title.

spuckthew

Nice to see someone telling how it is. I mean I like Marques. But how can you take someone reviewing a phone seriously when they wearing a google shirt? Him and a lot of the other youtubers didn't discuss any negative aspect probably because they want to get early access next year too.

Maybe they just don't want to risk breaking the phone? Zack Nelson is the hero we need, but most of the reviewers like to spend a good week or two with the devices to get a true understanding of the software, camera, and hardware (not in a durability sense though). Stressing and/or breaking phones is literally what Zack's YouTube channel is all about - it's not really fair to compare what he's doing to the likes of Marques Brownlee, Android Authority, etc.

That said, I'm quite partial to a tighter fitting pant, and Zack's "definitely not skinny-jean approved" comment - even if said mostly in jest - now has me a little paranoid.

Radec

Erica Griffin also having screen issues. Her youtube video not yet up though.

Maybe they just don't want to risk breaking the phone? Zack Nelson is the hero we need, but most of the reviewers like to spend a good week or two with the devices to get a true understanding of the software, camera, and hardware (not in a durability sense though). Stressing and/or breaking phones is literally what Zack's YouTube channel is all about - it's not really fair to compare what he's doing to the likes of Marques Brownlee, Android Authority, etc.

That said, I'm quite partial to a tighter fitting pant, and Zack's "definitely not skinny-jean approved" comment - even if said mostly in jest - now has me a little paranoid.

I'm not talking going out dropping the phone or bending. They didn't really have anything negative to say in their reviews. The phone for me lacks a lot of features that Zack was spot on about. Google should be leading the way, but they are not on the hardware side atleast.

These newer reports about the screen quality and color profiling got me a bit shook. Legit didn't seem like a major issue from a variety of my own sources -- a few YouTube based tech outlets, basically.

Next to input lag (which is not even an issue in flagship phones), color gamut is probably my highest priority feature in any display. Having a weird warm/coldness and stiff sRGB color accuracy could be a real detriment to my experience with my incoming Pixel 2 XL.

I think Android Central was the only reviewer out of the bunch that mentioned it out of the 5 or 6 that I've watched in the past few days. Kind of thought it was a bit of a fluke, but it seems like it's a problem that's coming more and more to light as more time is spent with the phone.

I wonder if Google will let me swap down to a regular Pixel 2 if the XL really is intolerably bad for me. I will also give Google a bit of time to either respond with a promise of an option for a more vivid color grade option or maybe even issue a replacement program with updated panels... I think the former is the best we'll actually get, and I certainly hope this issue doesn't exist on a scale big enough to issue a recall/product replacement program. It seems there's nothing to be done about the bad viewing angle issues -- that just seems hardware based with the panel itself, and is something of a shame, but not entirely unworkable for me. I just need the actual color space to be more vivid and vibrant when I look at it straight on, assuming my unit looks as funky as the reports are saying now.

It was while boiling water for pasta. 10 sounds right maybe 15?

Hmm. I think you either misread the % or the phone made an error.

5% to 70% in 10-15 minutes would make this the fastest charging smartphone by a long long margin and neither Google nor any reviews have said anything about that.

Nipo

Hmm. I think you either misread the % or the phone made an error.

5% to 70% in 10-15 minutes would make this the fastest charging smartphone by a long long margin and neither Google nor any reviews have said anything about that.

Hmm i'll check again tonight when my battery is drained. Also i'll check if 18W or 27W makes a noticeable difference.

Top Bottom