• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Satoshi Kon Blu Ray, Western releases?

Last year I watched all of the Ghibli movies, and now this year I'm trying to watch all the Non-Ghibli, well regarded stuff that I've missed. I watched the Hosoda big three (all awesome), and Paprika which I absolutely loved. So obviously I really want to check out the rest of Kon's movies.

But unfortunately it looks like Paprika is the only one that got the Blu Ray western release treatment. Everything that I can see for Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress is the Japanese version and $100+. At this point I'd even take a non dub version (gasp) as long as it was localized, but can't find that either. Do any of you guys own the English versions of these movies? How'd you get them? Do they even exist? Are there plans for future releases?

I'd love any help Gaf.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't think Perfect Blue or Tokyo Godfathers got BD releases in RA/R1.

I just checked YesAsia and it looks like there are TW BDs, but they only have Chinese subs. Maybe someone else might know if there's an Asian release with English subtitles.

I think DVDs are commonplace on Amazon which are just as watchable?

giphy.gif

I guess I should have mentioned that. That is the obvious, and perhaps best choice. Unfortunately I'd prefer not to have two DVDs mixed in with the all Blu Ray collection. Just a personal thing, that would bug me to no end.

You can import Perfect Blue Blu ray with Eng subs from Amazon UK pretty cheap and Umbrella Entertainment is releasing and Eng sub Blu ray Tokyo Godfathers soon

https://www.umbrellaent.com.au/coming-soon/3421-tokyo-godfathers-blu-ray.html

You'll need a region free blu ray player for these
Is the Ps4 a region free Blu Ray player?

LiK

I own all the DVDs from a few years ago. They're awesome flicks. Perfect Blue and Millenium Actress are both amazing.

I want localized Blu as well.

I got the Perfect Blue blu ray, but I'm in the UK. That sucks if other regions didn't get it.

BTW, Tokyo Godfathers and Paprika are on Amazon Video if you want to see his stuff on streaming. Wish Paranoia Agent was on streaming services, along with Millenium Actress.

t26

giphy.gif

I guess I should have mentioned that. That is the obvious, and perhaps best choice. Unfortunately I'd prefer not to have two DVDs mixed in with the all Blu Ray collection. Just a personal thing, that would bug me to no end.

Is the Ps4 a region free Blu Ray player?

No, it is not region free

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I was hoping the Criterion Collection or someone else would release some nice BluRays of his movie. He was a rare and special talent and deserving of such treatment. RIP.

Red

Yeah, could've sworn I did that with some region locked blurays. Glad to hear I didn't imagine it.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
I keep holding out for a Satoshi Kon blu-ray boxset with all his films on it + a remaster of Paranoia Agent. :(

and someone finishing Dreaming Machine :(

Satoshi Kon's stuff doesn't seem to have a lot of luck in the US. As far as I know only Paprika got a blu-ray release over here. Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress only have ancient (and out of print) DVD releases. Paranoia Agent's been out of print for years as well and commands insane prices for the US releases.

At least the Tokyo Godfathers DVD is still kind of easy to find. Sony doesn't seem all that interested in putting out a blu-ray though.

entremet

MA is one of my all time favs. I would love a Blu. Even the DVD is crazy expensive since there are no reprints. Same with Paranoia Agent.

Scavenger

Clov

Sony owns the rights to Tokyo Godfathers and they don't seem to care about it:
http://www.sonypictures.com/movies/tokyogodfathers/

I don't even know who owns Perfect Blue in NA.

Since Sony Pictures is buying Funimation, there is a possibility that Funimation will gain access to some or their back catalog titles, including Tokyo Godfathers.

As for Perfect Blue, I'm not expecting a release any time soon. When asked about a possible licence of the film, GKids (a company that has released several Ghibli and other high profile anime films in North America) said that the rights are not available. Whoever has them doesn't seem to be interested in a release.

Amirnol

Kon's films are incredible, Perfect Blue and Millennium Actress being my favourites. Definitely worth the effort to track them down.

MrChom

So glad in the UK we have both Paprika and Perfect Blue on BRD but I'd give my left arm if Anime Ltd could licence Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress. Japanese licencing is the perennial pain in the arse of everywhere outside Japan. the US and Japan sharing a region now makes it even worse because Japan doesn't want cheaper grey market imports from the US.

Kon was such a fantastic filmmaker, a true legend, to not have his films accessible and in high quality is a disaster for anime fans, frankly.

So glad in the UK we have both Paprika and Perfect Blue on BRD but I'd give my left arm if Anime Ltd could licence Tokyo Godfathers and Millennium Actress. Japanese licencing is the perennial pain in the arse of everywhere outside Japan. the US and Japan sharing a region now makes it even worse because Japan doesn't want cheaper grey market imports from the US.

Kon was such a fantastic filmmaker, a true legend, to not have his films accessible and in high quality is a disaster for anime fans, frankly.

Get the Australian BD of Tokyo Godfathers, it's coming out this week and will play on your BD player.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Bumping because I finally got my copy from Amazon

It's a disappointing release. Windowboxed, subtitle issues, upscale (?)

Here's a review I found while checking if the windowboxing was intentional

http://dvdcompare.net/review.php?rid=4963

That's extremely disappointing. I almost ordered that earlier too, so thanks for the head's up.

I wish GKids could get ahold of the rights to Kon's films and release them as a set.

I think my Satoshi Kon DVD's are the only ones in my whole collection that have appreciated in value. Or at least they did last time I checked...

(glances at Amazon)

yeah, I'm still good.

Top Bottom