• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo:CE Anniversary Announced (MS Conf, Nov 15th 2011, $40)

JdFoX187

Banned
Zabka said:
With the amount of work that Bungie put into the multiplayer for Halo 2, 3 and Reach, above and beyond 99% of developers, I figured the whole point of a Halo remake would be to get it online like every other Halo game.

But this isn't Bungie.
Thank god for that.

EDIT: On an aside, Bungie also spends three years making a game. This project had a year, tops. That's like expecting Halo 3: ODST to have a full working multiplayer suite.

GloveSlap

Zabka said:
With the amount of work that Bungie put into the multiplayer for Halo 2, 3 and Reach, above and beyond 99% of developers, I figured the whole point of a Halo remake would be to get it online like every other Halo game.

But this isn't Bungie.

I doubt it would have played out any differently from Bungie themselves. They have some kind of irrational hatred for the Halo CE pistol.

Not to mention fans were begging for an online Halo CE for the past 10 years they had control of the franchise and they didn't seem interested in it.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Izayoi said:
Except that it doesn't, and you're telling a bald-faced lie. There's no multiplayer component shipping with HA. We're getting a map pack for Reach.
You can play those maps on the CEA disc.

bobs99 ... said:
I find that outlook interesting, before I got live I felt the same way, and I adore Halo for the campaign and the fiction, but I somehow doubt Halo would be as big as it is without multiplayer. I mean I know people the total opposite of you that play Halo just for the multiplayer and grew bored of the single player a few missions in. I dont think anyone really knows what side of the fence the majority lie on, but I personally think that single player and multiplayer should be at the very least treated equally.
I'm not saying MP is unimportant. MP is very important. I guess I just started out my first post on this subject incorrectly. I apologize for doing so.

Sure with the CE remake there are business reasons for them not to include multiplayer, but I hope 343 respects multiplayer people when it comes to Halo 4 and this isnt a sign of things to come.
I doubt it is. 343 seems to, above all else, respect the franchise. Hell, from the looks of it, they respect it so much they didn't include MP in Anniversary because they didn't want to tarnish the awesome memories people have of CE's MP.

Havok

Plywood said:
This, compounded with the fact that we know almost nothing about what 343 is going to do with the Classic playlist (the hints sound like significant tweaks are coming, for those who haven't seen), makes the level of vitriol over this seem kind of silly.
JdFoX187 said:
Thought you weren't going to bother replying in here. Haha.
I have very little self-control.

JdFoX187

Banned
GloveSlap said:
A map does not a game make. You can't just throw chess pieces on a monopoly board and expect it to work the same.
*blink*blink*

Maps have been transitioned from game to game throughout the entire franchise. Aside from the travesty of idiotic design that was Blackout in Halo 3, they've all played just as well, if not a little better.

Havok said:
This, compounded with the fact that we know almost nothing about what 343 is going to do with the Classic playlist (the hints sound like significant tweaks are coming, for those who haven't seen), makes the level of vitriol over this seem kind of silly.
Thought you weren't going to bother replying in here. Haha.

Scarecrow

Dax01 said:
Hell, from the looks of it, they respect it so much they didn't include MP in Anniversary because they didn't want to tarnish the awesome memories people have of CE's MP.
I don't buy that excuse. Reminds me of Cameron's sorry explanation that he didn't put any special features in with the first Avatar home release because he didn't want anything to get in the way of the movie.

thatbox

Banned
I feel like a lot of the confrontational tone in this thread is due to the fact that the people who were most fervently hoping for CE MP are the people least likely to be playing Reach MP in any incarnation. People who already enjoy Reach MP are okay with a Reach map pack, and (many) CE diehards already don't enjoy Reach, which is why they aren't okay with a Reach map pack (especially when it comes bundled in the place of CE MP).

That said, whether you're personally interested in CE MP or not, the Halo community as a whole has been feeling its absence since the launch of Xbox Live. Given this context, and given the title of the new product, and given its categorization as a remake, and given the approach taken to PD XBLA (also published by Microsoft with some development done by an internal studio), it really wasn't unreasonable to expect CE MP to be brought online.

cluto

Dax01 said:
Hell, from the looks of it, they respect it so much they didn't include MP in Anniversary because they didn't want to tarnish the awesome memories people have of CE's MP.
Haha, what a unique perspective you have on this whole ordeal.

Izayoi

Banned
Plywood said:
Great, so I can play something that is not Halo 1's multiplayer. Why should I care?

thatbox said:
I feel like a lot of the confrontational tone in this thread is due to the fact that the people who were most fervently hoping for CE MP are the people least likely to be playing Reach MP in any incarnation. People who already enjoy Reach MP are okay with a Reach map pack, and (many) CE diehards already don't enjoy Reach, which is why they aren't okay with a Reach map pack (especially when it comes bundled in the place of CE MP).
Thank you. Reach's multiplayer is terrible, and I have zero interest in subjected myself to that tripe any more than I already have. It's so supremely different and broken that I'm hesitant to believe 343 can do anything that will make it play even remotely similar to Halo 1.

border

Someone earlier requested it, and I think it would be a good idea for 343i/Bungie to clarify just as quickly as possible what it is they can and can't alter within the Reach matchmaking/multiplayer framework. I assume that some of the answers will be unpopular, but at least it would help to keep expectations in check. Coy answers like "You're going to be 10% more happy" or "We have cool stuff planned for CE lovers" only seem to fuel desires that may be unrealistic.

It's pretty clear now that they aren't going to do a 180 and include original multiplayer, so perhaps it would be more constructive to discuss what it is we'd like to see from Classic modes. I don't know all the in's-and-outs of Reach (barely played single-player, never touched multiplayer), so I'm not sure how much there is to be altered.

So for everyone else that's very apprehensive but still somewhat hopeful, I'll ask: what do you want out of classic playlists/matchmaking? My picks:

--classic weapons (powerful pistol), no modern era weapons, no lock-on rockets, no dual-wield, no swords
--no special items, no armor abilities - just camo, overshield, etc.
--indestructible vehicles
--physics - I'm not familiar enough with the nuances of CE/2/3/Reach to comment much, but I'd like to at least be able to jump as high as I did in CE
--fall damage - I don't really care that much about it either way

Zabka

JdFoX187 said:
Thank god for that.

EDIT: On an aside, Bungie also spends three years making a game. This project had a year, tops. That's like expecting Halo 3: ODST to have a full working multiplayer suite.
So what? I have zero interest in the plight of the developers, only what they release.

JdFoX187

Banned
Zabka said:
So what? I have zero interest in the plight of the developers, only what they release.
Replies like this make it hard for me to keep my sanity. Selfish, immature and downright naive is all I can say to this reply.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
OuterWorldVoice said:
Some people certainly will yes. Lines, etc may mean that you're not guaranteed. I will be keeping an eye out for special cases.
Thanks. I got a passes for the 3 days of the conference, but if by Sunday I haven't touched the game, please halp!

border

Dax01 said:
I doubt it is. 343 seems to, above all else, respect the franchise. Hell, from the looks of it, they respect it so much they didn't include MP in Anniversary because they didn't want to tarnish the awesome memories people have of CE's MP.

My take is almost the opposite. I don't understand this mentality -- "Oh we don't think we could perfectly re-create Halo 1 MP on Live.....so instead let's give you something that's absolutely nothing like Halo 1 MP."

JdFoX187

Banned
border said:
My take is almost the opposite. I don't understand this mentality -- "Oh we don't think we could perfectly re-create Halo 1 MP on Live.....so instead let's give you something that's absolutely nothing like Halo 1 MP."
Because if it were to get brought over, and it wasn't the bastion of multiplayer perfection that some people believe it to be, whether by 343i's doing or just the sheer nature of the beast, many of the same people bitching about the lack of MP would be calling for the heads of 343i developers because it wasn't brought over perfectly.

cluto said:
Scarecrow said:
I don't buy that excuse. Reminds me of Cameron's sorry explanation that he didn't put any special features in with the first Avatar home release because he didn't want anything to get in the way of the movie.
Really? Here's what Frankie had to say in the Halo News Bulletin:
If we added netcode to Halo CE’s console gameplay, it would change it irrevocably. It would NOT be the same game you remembered – it would be a compromised vision of it, with the pros and cons that lag, latency and more can bring.
That's what I got out of it.

jgminto

border said:
--classic weapons (powerful pistol), no modern era weapons, no lock-on rockets, no dual-wield, no swords
--no special items, no armor abilities - just camo, overshield, etc.
--indestructible vehicles
--physics - I'm not familiar enough with the nuances of CE/2/3/Reach to comment much, but I'd like to at least be able to jump as high as I did in CE
--fall damage - I don't really care that much about it either way
And fix the Camo pickup so it doesn't fade out when I move.

Izayoi

Banned
Dax01 said:
You can't be serious.

Dax01 said:

That's what I got out of it.
So even though we've been playing Halo PC and XBC for years, putting up with mediocre latency and sometimes horrible lag, all of a sudden that's going to be a detriment to the experience and it will "tarnish" the original gameplay?

Give me a fucking break, that's the biggest load of shit I've read this month.

Zabka

JdFoX187 said:
Replies like this make it hard for me to keep my sanity. Selfish, immature and downright naive is all I can say to this reply.
Are you this emotionally attached to everything you buy? Are you tossing and turning at night because the CG artists didn't get enough time to make the Green Lantern movie look better?

thatbox

Banned
Dax01 said:
I'm not saying MP is unimportant. MP is very important. I guess I just started out my first post on this subject incorrectly. I apologize for doing so.

I think that's a really silly attitude to take. I've played CE MP this year. I still hosted and attended CE LANs locally up through 2007-2008 (until our main organizer got married and was then prohibited from having fun). Playing CE MP in "modern times" was just as great as it was in 2001. Booting the game up this year didn't tarnish my memories, even when I was playing over XBC. Trying to play off the lack of CE MP as 343 protecting us from ourselves is just nonsense.

JdFoX187

Banned
Zabka said:
Are you this emotionally attached to everything you buy? Are you tossing and turning at night because the CG artists didn't get enough time to make the Green Lantern movie look better?
What does this have to do with anything? I understand there are time constraints and that's the reason things may or may not be included. You're so self entitled that it doesn't matter what happens, as long as YOUR wants are satisfied, be damned to anyone else because the only thing that matters is you. That's about as immature as you can get.

Izayoi said:
So even though we've been playing Halo PC and XBC for years, putting up with mediocre latency and sometimes horrible lag, all of a sudden that's going to be a detriment to the experience and it will "tarnish" the original gameplay?

Give me a fucking break, that's the biggest load of shit I've read this month.
A few hundred people =/= all Halo CE fans.

But you heard it here folks, Izayoi knows more than Frankie and anyone else at 343i. A random poster is right and the studio itself is full of shit. Such a revelation.

Scarecrow

Dax01 said:
That's where the challenge lies. Developers can't be afraid to step up and conquer these obstacles. The willingness to do so separates those who put their heart and soul into a project and those that are satisfied with resting on their laurels.

Izayoi said:
So even though we've been playing Halo PC and XBC for years, putting up with mediocre latency and sometimes horrible lag, all of a sudden that's going to be a detriment to the experience and it will "tarnish" the original gameplay?.
Talking about the tiniest group of the overall Halo playerbase and Halo C.E. fans.

But overall I do think it's a missed opportunity, unless they can have playlists in Reach that can be dramatically different from some of the core parts of Reach MP.

Izayoi

Banned
JdFoX187 said:
But you heard it here folks, Izayoi knows more than Frankie and anyone else at 343i. A random poster is right and the studio itself is full of shit. Such a revelation.
You people are borderline fanatical. Are you completely unwilling/unable to question a game studio? Are you just going to take anything they say as law? These are people who you will be paying, people who want your money and nothing more, and you don't even question their methods? I can't believe how content some of you are to let the megacorporation fuck you in the ass and steal your wallet while they do it. Fucking ridiculous.

JdFoX187

Banned
Scarecrow said:
That's where the challenge lies. Developers can't be afraid to step up and conquer these obstacles. The willingness to do so separates those who put their heart and soul into a project and those that are satisfied with resting on their laurels.
But what's the point? It's a side project with about a year of development when the studio has other things, like a proper Halo 4. I highly doubt they're incapable of doing it. They just don't want to waste the resources on it.

Izayoi said:
You people are borderline fanatical. Are you completely unwilling/unable to question a game studio? Are you just going to take anything they say as law? These are people who you will be paying, people who want your money and nothing more, and you don't even question their methods? I can't believe how content some of you are to let the supercorporation fuck you in the ass and steal your wallet while they do it. Fucking ridiculous.
I'm capable of something other than blind desire. You're like an old man yelling at a cloud to fuck the man, free spirit and all that shit. They aren't "fucking" anyone in the ass other than self-entitled forum posters that feel they are owed something for their dedication to a franchise that never came with any strings attached. It's as if your 10 years of affection toward Halo wasn't enough -- that the hours you spent playing weren't enough -- you want them to do something special just for you.

jgminto

Izayoi said:
You people are borderline fanatical. Are you completely unwilling/unable to question a game studio? Are you just going to take anything they say as law? These are people who you will be paying, people who want your money and nothing more, and you don't even question their methods? I can't believe how content some of you are to let the megacorporation fuck you in the ass and steal your wallet while they do it. Fucking ridiculous.
You don't know how the final product will play. 343 could easily cater to the CE fans while not splitting up the fanbase. How about you wait and see what changes they make to the Reach playlists before you start moaning.

Zabka

JdFoX187 said:
What does this have to do with anything? I understand there are time constraints and that's the reason things may or may not be included. You're so self entitled that it doesn't matter what happens, as long as YOUR wants are satisfied, be damned to anyone else because the only thing that matters is you. That's about as immature as you can get.
You realize you're talking about a videogame. If you don't expect or demand better from videogame companies they will give you the bare minimum. I find it hilarious that wanting a game to have online multiplayer in 2011 is considered selfish.

And this is Microsoft we're talking about. Their goal is to spend as little money to develop a game as they can and sell it for as much as they can. They're a business, that's what they do.

ETA: The fact that you keep defending it because it is a 1 year rush job is mind boggling

GloveSlap

JdFoX187 said:

A few hundred people =/= all Halo CE fans.

I find it pretty hypocritical that you criticize others for thinking of themselves as the majority without proof, yet you turn right around and claim that people like you are the majority without any proof. You can proclaim anyone that doesn't agree with you is a vocal minority but it doesn't make it true.

What 343 does or says doesn't have any bearing on what people actually want.

aasoncott said:
Microsoft recently announced that the terminals are being done by us here at Sequence (we're probably most known for the I Am Legend motion comics and the crazy-epic Broken Saints). It's been seriously awesome working on them, and I think people are going to really like what they add to the story.
I fucking cannot wait to find them.

Online co-op is for sure, right? It was one of my long time expectations/hopes so there's one for the plus column in my book, if so. I'm sad that there's no CE matchmaking because I thought if they're going thru all the trouble of remaking a game why not go all the way, but truthfully it won't be lamented for a single second at my house as I know the Reach maps will keep me quite busy and content. Thanks for giving up the proper nod on Halo's 10th anniversary, Frankie! I can't wait to see where Halo 4 will take us. Hopefully inside the DPR to dong on some new fearsome alien species.

EDIT: Holy shit at the entitlement from a few ITT!

border

JdFoX187 said:
Because if it were to get brought over, and it wasn't the bastion of multiplayer perfection that some people believe it to be, whether by 343i's doing or just the sheer nature of the beast, many of the same people bitching about the lack of MP would be calling for the heads of 343i developers because it wasn't brought over perfectly.

If we added netcode to Halo CE’s console gameplay, it would change it irrevocably. It would NOT be the same game you remembered – it would be a compromised vision of it, with the pros and cons that lag, latency and more can bring.

I'd honestly rather have a compromised vision than just old maps in Reach (though I guess that depends on just how flexible Reach is with alterations).

I don't believe what Gearbox did was the best version possible. It's clear from Pitchford's comments that they were held back by a number of stupid constraints put on them by Microsoft. 343 could do better. They've chosen not to. They've given us the reasons, and we'll either accept them or avoid the game because of them.

JdFoX187 said:
EDIT: On an aside, Bungie also spends three years making a game. This project had a year, tops.

All this stuff about time and budget constraints ring pretty hollow considering that this isn't some new IP from a first time developer, but a bunch of veterans working with one of the industry's biggest franchises. They could easily have more time and more money if needed - the game is going to sell very well.

How strangely ironic that many of Halo:CE's shortcomings were explained away by time constraints.....and now ten years later the same excuses are popping up for the remake of the very same game. In some ways that in itself makes it a tribute to the original :)

JdFoX187

Banned
Zabka said:
You realize you're talking about a videogame. If you don't expect or demand better from videogame companies they will give you the bare minimum. I find it hilarious that wanting a game to have online multiplayer in 2011 is considered selfish.

And this is Microsoft we're talking about. Their goal is to spend as little money to develop a game as they can and sell it for as much as they can. They're a business, that's what they do.
It's selfish when you refuse to acknowledge the other circumstances surrounding it. I want Halo 2 HD with these impressive graphics and online multiplayer. I'm not on here shitting up threads begging for it and acting like a total ass to Frankie and others demanding the game, saying they're full of shit and are bastards for not doing it. I understand there are resources that have to be allotted. You, and the others, don't understand that. You think because you want it, along with maybe a few hundred other people, that you should get it, no matter how much money would have to be invested, and how much time would have to be put into the project, taking said resources from Halo 4. It's simple logic, which many in this thread seem to lack.

GloveSlap said:
I find it pretty hypocritical that you criticize others for thinking of themselves as the majority without proof, yet you turn right around and claim that people like you are the majority without any proof. You can proclaim anyone that doesn't agree with you is a vocal minority but it doesn't make it true.

What 343 does or says doesn't have any bearing on what people actually want.
Look at it this way. There's maybe five posters in this thread constantly whining about no MP. Most other people say it sucks or don't care. I would like to have it, but do not care that it's not there as I understand why. That should be a pretty good indicator there. The minority are always the most vocal.

border

There are not 1 but 2 outside developers working on this project. I'm not sure how much the whole "taking time and resources away from Halo 4" talking point should really fly.

aasoncott said:
Microsoft recently announced that the terminals are being done by us here at Sequence (we're probably most known for the I Am Legend motion comics and the crazy-epic Broken Saints). It's been seriously awesome working on them, and I think people are going to really like what they add to the story.

I can't wait. :^)

JdFoX187

Banned
border said:

I'd honestly rather have a compromised vision than just old maps in Reach (though I guess that depends on just how flexible Reach is with alterations).

I don't believe what Gearbox did was the best version possible. It's clear from Pitchford's comments that they were held back by a number of stupid constraints put on them by Microsoft. 343 could do better. They've chosen not to. They've given us the reasons, and we'll either accept them or avoid the game because of them.
There are already people in this very thread questioning 343i's commitment and their talent. If they released a compromised version, they'd be criticized even more than Gearbox, which is a very talented group of developers themselves. I hold to the belief that it's better to not have something at all than to have it half-assed, which is what online MP would be. It wouldn't be up to the standard the franchise has set. Plain and simple. Frankie has already said so. But he's full of shit, according to some.

All this stuff about time and budget constraints ring pretty hollow considering that this isn't some new IP from a first time developer, but a bunch of veterans working with one of the industry's biggest franchises. They could easily have more time and more money if needed - the game is going to sell very well.

How strangely ironic that many of Halo:CE's shortcomings were explained away by time constraints.....and now ten years later the same excuses are popping up for the remake of the very same game. In some ways that in itself makes it a tribute to the original :)
I'm sure Microsoft could put every coder they have under their umbrella to work on it and get online MP out. But why would they? To please a few fans? It's just not plausible. Microsoft and 343i have to weigh the added sales revenue and good will of the fans against the extra man hours and money needed to make a quality online MP component. They did that and determined that it just isn't worth it. This was a side project that was done in a year. If they were not working on Halo 4, and this was their only project, there would be no excuse, I agree. But they have bigger things to worry about than a Halo remake.

border said:
There are not 1 but 2 outside developers working on this project. I'm not sure how much the whole "taking time and resources away from Halo 4" talking point should really fly.
Saber Interactive only handled the graphics aspect of it. It's 343i that's putting it all together and adding in the terminals and co-op.

aasoncott said:
Missed this post earlier (thanks, Hitmonchan!). I remember looking at the I Am Legend comics. Really liked them. The new terminals are definitely my most anticipated aspect of Anniversary.

GloveSlap

JdFoX187 said:
Look at it this way. There's maybe five posters in this thread constantly whining about no MP. Most other people say it sucks or don't care. I would like to have it, but do not care that it's not there as I understand why. That should be a pretty good indicator there. The minority are always the most vocal.

Some people are more pissed than others but most people I have seen in this thread (or threads on other forums) would like to have the multiplayer in this game. Now whether that is a deal breaker or not is a different matter. Just stop with the BS numbers like proclaiming only a few hundred people want this or that.

JdFoX187

Banned
GloveSlap said:
Some people are more pissed than others but virtually everyone I have seen in this thread or threads on other forums would like to have the multiplayer in this game. Now whether that is a deal breaker or not is a different matter. Just stop with the BS numbers like proclaiming only a few hundred people want this or that.
It's common sense that a remake isn't going to sell as well as a brand new game in the series. Look at Perfect Dark, another example of this very same thing. They added MP to it. It was shit. People rioted and got pissed off that it wasn't what they remembered. The game's online was dead in a month. There's certainly more precedence to my argument than to the fact that millions will instantly hop on Xbox LIVE and enjoy Halo: CE multiplayer in all its "glory."

Zabka

JdFoX187 said:
It's selfish when you refuse to acknowledge the other circumstances surrounding it. I want Halo 2 HD with these impressive graphics and online multiplayer. I'm not on here shitting up threads begging for it and acting like a total ass to Frankie and others demanding the game, saying they're full of shit and are bastards for not doing it. I understand there are resources that have to be allotted. You, and the others, don't understand that. You think because you want it, along with maybe a few hundred other people, that you should get it, no matter how much money would have to be invested, and how much time would have to be put into the project, taking said resources from Halo 4. It's simple logic, which many in this thread seem to lack.
Like I said, I don't care about the circumstances, only the end product. When you stop being critical of something because of the development process then you're only harming yourself.

There are a lot of talented people working on this game, and I'm sure it's going to be great for what it is. I think having a new graphics engine running over the original is very impressive. Yeah it sucks that they are only getting a year to work on it, but that's got nothing to do with anything.

The truth is that you are perpetuating this argument more than anyone else.

JdFoX187

Banned
Zabka said:
Like I said, I don't care about the circumstances, only the end product. When you stop being critical of something because of the development process then you're only harming yourself.

There are a lot of talented people working on this game, and I'm sure it's going to be great for what it is. I think having a new graphics engine running over the original is very impressive. Yeah it sucks that they are only getting a year to work on it, but that's got nothing to do with anything.

The truth is that you are perpetuating this argument more than anyone else.
The timeframe has nothing to do with it? How does it not? If they had all this time to work on it, they could add online MP into it. Frankie himself has said with limited time and resources, they had to make decisions to cut certain things, MP being the main one. The time is the thing it's all about. You don't care about all the issues that go into the development, that's fine. But don't bitch and complain that a game comes out quickly and isn't what you wanted.

And I'm not perpetuating any argument, just trying to apply logic to the whole situation. People think it's as simple as slapping a netcode into a game. It's probably much easier to go in and edit Reach's settings to transfer over classic settings than it is to add the netcode. Who knows, maybe they're actually going to do that for the new playlist they talk about. But no one here will give them the chance to reveal it.

border

JdFoX187 said:
There are already people in this very thread questioning 343i's commitment and their talent. If they released a compromised version, they'd be criticized even more than Gearbox, which is a very talented group of developers themselves.

That kinda misses the point though -- just throwing 7 maps into the Reach engine is ALREADY a compromised vision. It isn't the original game, and in terms of maps it's probably less than half the content of the original multiplayer. Like I said a long time ago, that's the weird case of schizophrenia that this project has -- half of it wants to honor the original with a painstaking recreation, and the other half wants to completely throw out everything that was great about the original.

I feel like they could have easily done better, even if it was throwing Halo 2's netcode behind a full complement of Halo 1 maps. That game wasn't nearly as divorced from CE as Halo 3 and Reach are. It wouldn't be the same, but it'd certainly be closer and much less of a compromise than putting old maps into Reach.

There's maybe five posters in this thread constantly whining about no MP. Most other people say it sucks or don't care. I would like to have it, but do not care that it's not there as I understand why. That should be a pretty good indicator there. The minority are always the most vocal.

Do you really think that the discussion at the end of a 1700-reply long thread is indicative of any kind of public opinion? Of course not.....it's just going to be a bunch of impassioned fans arguing every little point, with neither side representing the majority.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
cluto said:

That would happen though. Everyone would play it online with memories of LAN and would blame 343 for the disadvantages of the Internet.

I'm a big fan of Halo multiplayer and I support 343's decision. I don't want to play a nostalgia crushing Halo CE multiplayer but yes, I will take those awesome maps for my sexy Halo Reach.

Speculation on: In this day with all the youngsters online, I'd bet the Reach maps will motivate the most sales of this SKU. Not the campaign. Nor would have the multiplayer. Not for the majority of Reach kiddies.

Zabka

JdFoX187 said:
The timeframe has nothing to do with it? How does it not? If they had all this time to work on it, they could add online MP into it. Frankie himself has said with limited time and resources, they had to make decisions to cut certain things, MP being the main one. The time is the thing it's all about. You don't care about all the issues that go into the development, that's fine. But don't bitch and complain that a game comes out quickly and isn't what you wanted.
Well why not? If you don't criticize the publishers for rushing games and cutting features then you get things like this and ODST.

jgminto

Account Attempt #4 said:
Speculation on: In this day with all the youngsters online, I'd bet the Reach maps will motivate the most sales of this SKU. Not the campaign. Nor would have the multiplayer. Not for the majority of Reach kiddies.
You are right. The campaign will move units for the nostalgia-filled gamers while the ones that joined on 3 or Reach will buy it for the maps.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
jgminto said:
You are right. The campaign will move units for the nostalgia-filled gamers while the ones that joined on 3 or Reach will buy it for the maps.

Can I buy it for both reasons? :p

JdFoX187

Banned
border said:
That kinda misses the point though -- just throwing 7 maps into the Reach engine is ALREADY a compromised vision. It isn't the original game, and in terms of maps it's probably less than half the content of the original multiplayer. Like I said a long time ago, that's the weird case of schizophrenia that this project has -- half of it wants to honor the original with a painstaking recreation, and the other half wants to completely throw out everything that was great about the original.

I feel like they could have easily done better, even if it was throwing Halo 2's netcode behind a full complement Halo 1 maps. That game wasn't nearly as divorced from CE as Halo 3 and Reach are. It wouldn't be the same, but it'd certainly be closer and much less of a compromise than putting old maps into Reach.
How is it compromised? They're bringing over the best maps, or so they say, from the first two games. They're also -- and here's the part that everyone still tries to ignore to further their own agenda that 343i is "fucking them over" -- adding a classic playlist that will further emulate the classic gameplay. They haven't said how yet, but they're working on it. Who knows what that will entail. It could be something as basic as what Jeremiah has done with the playlist now. Or it could be something to the extent of changing damage settings for the individual weapons, refining player movement and jump heights to make them closer to the original games, or even adding in the classic weapons. No one knows. Which is why I think it's premature for people to start saying that no one at 343i cares about CE players. It's a wait and see ordeal right now. But people want to take up their pitchforks and start marching on 343i's windmill before they've even had a chance to reveal everything.

Do you really think that the discussion at the end of a 1700-reply long thread is indicative of any kind of public opinion? Of course not.....it's just going to be a bunch of impassioned fans arguing every little point, with neither side representing the majority.
The people that are more likely to use tunneling software to get their Xboxs online to play Halo: CE are the ones that are more likely to post on messageboards. There's also my earlier point about online MP being added into Perfect Dark.

Top Bottom