• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hearthstone |OT9| Our raid wiped in Icecrown Citadel

Fewr

Can't even get to Rank 15 this month, wtf.
My greatest achievement in this game has been to craft a jade druid deck on the first weekend of the expansion and using it to get to 15.
Saturday I couldn't get past rank 20 - 0 stars, Sunday morning I was doing much better and got to 15 with a 100% win rate hehe. So it's all about whom you're going up against.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Too many good cards and such for control to really ever heavily make it into Hearth since you can always roll tempo if aggro/mid range don't fit.

Too much hard removal. Too much high value. Too many combos. If people had to actively ramp/tempo up vs passively gaining 1 mana per turn I think you'd see more control. That's fundamentally now how Hearthstone works though.

KuroNeeko

Guys. I hit 14 playing Hollow Cthun, Hollow Jade, Jaina Control, and Rexxar Shenanigans.

If I can do it, you can too! ;)

Well this is the guy that said discard warlock or lanathel would be good.

That's not what he said. He said that you can't judge Lanathel on her own, but rather within the context of the class. Warlock is a class that leverages its life as a resource--whether you're talking about a cheap AoE that damages everything or two life to draw a card. In that context, Lana is better because warlock doesn't have a ton of healing. So a unit with high health that can potentially offer a lot of healing is worth more in warlock, than say, paladin.

I don't know what clip you're referring to in regards to Discard, but I doubt he said it was good. He did say that it was better than before because with multiple paths to victory, discarding one (like Jarraxus) didn't necessarily mean you'd lose the game.

His picks are on point, though I kind of expected Bone Mare in that list. Defile is amazing. 1/1 taunt with Divine Shield is amazing. Malf is amazing. Anduin is amazing. So what's the problem?

Bunga

My greatest achievement in this game has been to craft a jade druid deck on the first weekend of the expansion and using it to get to 15.
Saturday I couldn't get past rank 20 - 0 stars, Sunday morning I was doing much better and got to 15 with a 100% win rate hehe. So it's all about whom you're going up against.

I generally only play during the day, on my commute to work, work breaks, lunch, commute back home etc. So I think I'm always running into the try hards with no jobs to go to. I would imagine more casual players play in the evenings/weekends but could be wrong on that.

Edit: this is on EU by the way.

Fewr

I have noticed I have an easier time winning in the morning, that's why I normally play on my commute to the gym. Last weekend I skipped gym to get to rank 15 :p

manhack

I would be fine with it if the ladder we're different. Grinding out long games only to have all of your progress reset after a few weeks sucks. We either need longer seasons or a softer ladder reset imo

Yeah this is probably my biggest issue. If we had longer seasons I would feel more motivation to make the Legend climb. As it is now you have to devote a decent amount of time to climbing and usually the month is over before you are even close.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
I have noticed I have an easier time winning in the morning, that's why I normally play on my commute to the gym. Last weekend I skipped gym to get to rank 15 :p

I agree actually. I usually have time to play a game or two while I drink my coffee before it's time to leave the house since the kids know the deal and get ready for school without too much hand holding after we feed them breakfast.

The difference between morning and night is night and day difference difficulty wise. Lol

sibarraz

Banned
This meta sucks guys.

Is fucking terrible

This really saddens me, after a long time I was super excited by a new expansion since the idea behind the design of the new cards was amazing, but the problem is, Blizzard released some ridiculous OP cards that conditioned the entire meta, while at the same time, keeping the strong archetypes from the previous expansion unhindered.

This is not even a case of "give the game time" since you can already see where the game is heading

Pooya

Yeah, I get the impression that only after one week, streamers are done with this set already. That was quick. I still think the set is great and there are a lot of things to try but everything is pushed out by druids, it's just in another universe power wise. I wanted to experiment with a lot of decks but I'm like why bother, it doesn't beat druid. If it doesn't beat druids it's pointless. You will be losing a lot of games, that's not fun. I think a lot of cards from this set will shine after rotation but that's a long time from now.

MSOG needed to get nerfed to hell and back when the year started, instead they nerfed one card and printed ridiculous tech cards to counter the main offenders. It's unreal that they nerfed garbage like quest rogue instead of goddamn jade druid and pirate warrior.

Pooya

yeah it basically made jade druid disappear from ladder in those months even though it was only like 4 percent of ladder so it didn't really matter when you decided to ladder just like quest mage is now with similarly polarized match ups, nobody cares to beat quest mage, it's whatever, they're not going to nerf quest mage either because people are not complaining about it for some reason yet.

They basically nerfed it for streamers and reddit, its tournament performance was poor. Well, I guess be careful what you wish for, now those streamers gotta deal with druids instead which unlike quest rogue it's a rock that beats everything.

edit:

Amusingly this is relevant to HS today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXX8URSUWm0

just replace druid with rock instead.

Dahbomb

PW wasn't #1 in MSoG it only became the best deck when Reno rotated and Spirit Claws got nerfed.
I made a post after this where I went back and looked at all the meta reports and tier lists. PW wasn't #1 at that time but it was #2 behind Aggro Shaman and then #3 was Rogue with Pirates package. The meta was dominated by Pirates package.

PW was #1 when the Spirit Claw nerf happened and that was before the rotation.

manhack

This is not even a case of "give the game time" since you can already see where the game is heading

The funniest stuff I see on some of the Druid hate threads:

1. "It's only the first week, the meta hasn't settled yet guys"
2. "You need to stop complaining and start teching your deck to beat Druid"
3. "Druid is easy to beat, just play murloc paladin/Token Druid and farm them"

---

1. The meta doesn't need weeks to "settle" anymore. Druid issues are obvious. Jade Druid was overplayed in Un'Goro despite having a lower win-rate than multiple decks above it. Now that it has a high win-rate we can see the result.
2. Teching is not the end all be all to surviving the meta. Geist is a bad tech card and slow and it has a terrible win rate in Druid matches.
3. Not everybody wants to be forced into playing specific decks just to win, especially when you only have 2 choices. Also, having a positive win-rate vs. Druid doesn't guarantee you will "farm" them, it just gives you a better shot. You still lose 48% of the time.

---

I'm not saying we need to nerf any specific cards, but we may need to sooner rather than later. If the Hearthstone playerbase can come up with a solution that would be great. I'm still having a decent amount of fun, but I'm as frustrated as anyone because Druid is the only class I have a negative winrate playing against. I have played multiple classes and decks, so that isn't the issue. Maybe I'm biased in that way.

I made a post after this where I went back and looked at all the meta reports and tier lists. PW wasn't #1 at that time but it was #2 behind Aggro Shaman and then #3 was Rogue with Pirates package. The meta was dominated by Pirates package.

STB nerf happened at the same time, but Warrior didn't even need it because they have Nzoth's FM. (same with rogue and Swashburglar). Aggro Shaman took a major hit (which was the best deck to play against PW ironically!) but Midrange shaman was almost as good so it didn't even change that much.

Today's meta is not as bad as that clusterfuck but it's definitely a uge step down from Un'goro.

I assume we're both looking at tempostorm for convenience. You're right that post Spirit Claw nerf PW was the top deck there for all but 1 of them. Before the nerfs it rarely was the #2 deck even falling out of tier 1 at least once.

Pooya

yeah I think countering druids is foolish. You can do all you want and still lose, it's just in another league power wise. You can easily lose with totem shaman, you can lose with murloc paladin, you can lose with anything to jade druid.

They have the tools to deal with absolutely anything as is. The thing is unlike other decks, when you have that much mana quickly and draw your entire damn deck, tech cards perform much much better for you than they do for everyone else. So if something rises to beat jade druids they can tech against it and considering how overpowered they are they're not going to be hurt much because of it elsewhere. I mean effing Black Knight and BGH are performing in the deck right now, if it comes down to it they play eater of secrets or whatever instead because they can.

So I expect that you won't see druid in tournaments at all because it's banned by everyone like shaman used to be, you can't target druids, you bamboozle yourself trying to target druid. Mid shaman was targettable honestly, it wasn't like this.

I built my dragon priest from ground up to beat jade druids and it's often very very close, I'm like one turn away from losing the board when I win. It's so scary. I easily lose the game if they wild growth into blossom or something ridiculous with nourish. There is absolutely nothing you can do about it. I'm done trying. I played jade druid already so much as I posted trying to figure out what beats it and I know very well the answer is almost nothing if it's piloted well and it's not hard to do that. I admit a lot of people are terrible at it and that's how I won most of mirrors but they will get better in a few weeks with more experience. This iteration is a bit different than gadget version to play but it's not exactly complicated.

Grief.exe

Reynad made a very reasonable argument the other day in that video. He's seen it time and again, the meta in card games always self corrects and Druid is going to be the dominating force for the next 8 months. Arbitrarily controlling the path of the meta as everyone techs to beat them and then becomes weaker against everything else.

FeD.nL

Reynad made a very reasonable argument the other day in that video. He's seen it time and again, the meta in card games always self corrects and Druid is going to be the dominating force for the next 8 months. Arbitrarily controlling the path of the meta as everyone techs to beat them and then becomes weaker against everything else.

I expect nothing. It's probably going to be quest Rogue all over again in that whatever nerf they're cooking up is going live the week before they announce a new expansion.

Honestly I just want them to launch a tournament mode instead of solely relying on the problematic ladder. That's the biggest problem and has been for the past 4 years. Ladder play is the reason that these issues come back time and time again.

The problem is that the meta matchups right now are so polarized. Jade and Quest Mage stomp control so hard. Aggro stomps Jade and Quest Mage so hard. I can't remember a time when there were so many matches that had such a one sided tilt, aside from control warrior vs. freeze Mage back in the day.

xRaizen

Anyone have tips for a almost brand new player? I've only bought the welcome pack (got Al'Akir and Leeroy) and a few packs here and there (Lich King and Onyxia).

Is it correct to assume that I'll get a legendary in my first 10 packs of each set (since I have only bought classic and frozen throne packs)? Like the gadgetzan and un'goro?

Edit: Also got DK Paladin Uther as the free legendary from ICC

Miracle Rogue should be favoured against jades. Sapping golems is almost killing them as playing vanilla statted minions is fairly low tempo and the increased handsize makes UI much worse. Valeera giving you excess copies of Giants/Edwin makes for considerable swing turns that's difficult for Druid to deal with.

Priests just shit all over it with Anduin killing any substantial threat.

rahji

beat all bosses with dragon priest and drafted the worst priest deck in arena. went 2-3 and 2 of my 3 losses were because of tirion (once from malechezar and once from stonehill defender).
my day with hearthstone is done.

QFNS

Unconfirmed Member
I still don't understand why there are so many people who hate Priest. Have you played the class? The decks are FUN! Anduin has top tier BM emotes. Come to the healing side!

I still don't understand why there are so many people who hate Priest. Have you played the class? The decks are FUN! Anduin has top tier BM emotes. Come to the healing side!
dusted all priest cards years ago been building the collection back up since as I want to try it again.

Playing as priest isn't the issue that can be whatever but playing against then has always been the worst even when they were shit.

Anyone have tips for a almost brand new player? I've only bought the welcome pack (got Al'Akir and Leeroy) and a few packs here and there (Lich King and Onyxia).

Is it correct to assume that I'll get a legendary in my first 10 packs of each set (since I have only bought classic and frozen throne packs)? Like the gadgetzan and un'goro?

Edit: Also got DK Paladin Uther as the free legendary from ICC

You got some good cards, but to be honest, Hunter is by far the cheapest class to build a competitive deck for a new player. Sadly, there is no real place for some of your opened cards in a good Hunter deck

This is one of the cheapest decks you could build, and with practice you will go up the ranks.

0sNENPol.png

Top Bottom