• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Rumors , APU code named 'Liverpool' Radeon HD 7970 GPU Steamroller CPU 16GB Flash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strike

Highly doubtful that this is even remotely true, but at least it's more plausible than the last batch of rumors from that spec sheet.

antonz

Topic starter is mistakenly claiming that, but the post he's quoting isn't. It just says that chip from Tahiti family is in PS4 and 7970 is Tahiti family as well. Misleading but not incorrect.

Indeed. For it to be a tahiti based gpu in that range it would have to be a 7850 likely.

And going with Steamroller for the CPU would be pretty odd. AMD has all but admitted defeat in CPU for the high end

Topic starter is mistakenly claiming that, but the post he's quoting isn't. It just says that chip from Tahiti family is in PS4 and 7970 is Tahiti family as well. Misleading but not incorrect.

Thanks for the clarification, everything suddenly seems very probable, and at a reasonable price.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
If this is true (more than 7850 but less than 7870 level of performance) PS4 may have the better GPU than X720, Xbox will probably have a faster or more customized CPU this time around, and almost definitely more memory, even if Sony goes up to 4, which they really should.

jett

D-Member
come on son, don't post questionable news stories from a website that is in a language you don't even understand.

iamblades

Indeed. For it to be a tahiti based gpu in that range it would have to be a 7850 likely.

And going with Steamroller for the CPU would be pretty odd. AMD has all but admitted defeat in CPU for the high end

The 7850 is pitcairn. Only 7970 and 7950 are tahiti.

Alex

Some of you people are going to be extremely sad if this is really the kind of hardware you're expecting.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
4gb of RAM please.

RAM is so important.

MDX

Eh, sounds like too much and (can anyone provide older info from PS3 / PS2 for reference?) those code names don't sound real.

steam%20Piledriver%20architecture%2001.gif

2MF

let's just say the GPU retails for $550.

Even if we ignore the cost (five hundred and ninety nine US dollars) , this GPU has a 230 W TDP... That would be fun on a console.

For reference, the whole PS3 used about 200 W back at launch.

Boss Man

Some of you people are going to be extremely sad if this is really the kind of hardware you're expecting.
I don't know man, it's possible. I mean, I know that I'll be able to experience 4D soon enough and it has to get there somehow. If anything, modern science should allow me to live to be at least ~800 years old so it's really just a matter of time. Why not sooner than later?

I don't know that it's THAT unrealistic that they'd use a current top of the line video card given that the console probably won't launch for over a year, maybe a year and a half. Prices on it would probably comedown pretty far in that time span. Since they're bundling an AMD CPU and GPU they're probably getting a pretty good deal for the package, if it' true.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Almost every 'rumour' (as in, coming from the developers with devkit access, so not really a rumour) has matched what this post described. Steamroller CPU, ~1.7-1.8GFlop GPU, 2GB of unified RAM. That's almost assuredly what the devkit is right now, or was a few months ago. For Xbox, it's supposed to be a weaker GPU, much more memory (4-6GB) and CPU with more cores, but different architecture.

1840GFlops is for the GPU that's in the APU
No, I really doubt that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom